Is Kings Island really strict on height requirements?

coaster queen

yes they are. my son is nearly the same height. what we did was fill his shoes in the heel and took him in to get measured. they will give you an armband that should work for the day. This doesnt necessarily work in the water park tho. he had a 48" armband (purple) and was still turned away since he didnt have his shoes on and thus was not 48 tall. good luck!

yep. They are.

They let us on White Water Canyon, then stopped the ride and told us she had to get off and get measured.

They made her stand up against the thingy, and swung it to check her height. It was brushing her hair, but not hitting her head, and they wouldn't let her ride. We were pretty bummed.

I thought she was tall enough. I think the ride height is 46 inches. She ended up being 45 and 3/4 LOL.

After that, we went and got her a wrist band. She was so close on everything, that she got measured at every ride.

It got annoying after awile, so I would recommend getting the band, because they will check her a lot.

they are very strict on height requirements. i would wait. now, if you are wearing a shoe that looks thick they make you take them off to get measured anyways. even with the band, they randomly measure the kids. its a safety thing, and they dont compromise. they also dont want someone suing saying they should not have been able to ride in the first place because they werent tall enough.

I have a height issue. Some days I can ride Delirium and sometimes not. It depends on the ride operators that day. The first year the ride was open, I rode it early in the day, only to be told in the evening I was too tall to ride so what gives? If it is a problem with my feet dragging or so, I could understand but, I don't even come close. If it is a danger for me to ride the how come every few times I try to ride I'm told that I'm too tall, and other times I am not even given a glance. By the way I am 6'4 1/2" tall.

Ride manufacture restrictions should be enforced both ways.

hi, my daughter is about 47 1/2" and really wants to be able to ride the bigger rides. Are they really strict on that?

jan

oh yea they are more strict cause i remember i was in The Vortex line an this girl was really close and the line was like an hour and and a half and she went in the train and they had already straped her down then one of the ride ops was like check how tall she is and she was to short. i know that had to suck. i also can't belive they do it if ur to tall to

I have a question. The manufacturers, the park, Cedar Fair and insurance companies and/or the State of Ohio have determined that your child must be a certain height to safely ride. Is a ride on an amusement device more important than your child's safety? How would you feel if your child was allowed to ride and then something horrible did happen? Would you then want to sue the park? How would you feel for the rest of your life? What lesson(s) are you teaching your child? And as for stuffing shoes, etc., again, what lessons are you teaching your child?

There is such a thing as modeling...of teaching by what you do, not what you say. Is this that important to you? If sneaking your child on a ride the manufacturer and/or park and/or insurance company says is not safe for your child yet is that important to you, I sincerely suggest you need your priorities re-examined.

Terpy - Well said.

I have a couple of other thoughts though:

- It may seem like forever that you are waiting for your child to hit the 48" mark, but also know that you will eventually get the opportunity to have a very special day of "first rides" when the purple wristband is given out. Wait for it patiently and enjoy it when it arrives.

- I recognize the frustration, especially if you remember a time when a ride had a different height limit or have been to other parks (in other states) that have big coasters with smaller limits (for example Big Bad Wolf is 42" whereas Flight Deck is 48"). So park shopping may be your best bet for finding a more thrilling but also safe ride experience.

They are definitely strict as I saw on my night ride on The Beast I saw 2 straight trains have a kid with a wristband on and be measured and be not allowed. Although its the right thing it was fun to cheer on the ride ops as everyone in the station chanted "let him on", but I do see the reasoning behind it..

Kings Island ride operators also reserve the right to ask the child to take off their shoes. Check your park map for more info.

Height requirments are meant for a reason; safety. I'm really not sure why people get so upset when I tell them their kids aren't tall enough to ride and say it's "stupid." I think safety is a pretty important part of riding rides...especially on the tallest, fastest ride in the park.

• Like 1

I have a question. The manufacturers, the park, Cedar Fair and insurance companies and/or the State of Ohio have determined that your child must be a certain height to safely ride. Is a ride on an amusement device more important than your child's safety? How would you feel if your child was allowed to ride and then something horrible did happen? Would you then want to sue the park? How would you feel for the rest of your life? What lesson(s) are you teaching your child? And as for stuffing shoes, etc., again, what lessons are you teaching your child?

There is such a thing as modeling...of teaching by what you do, not what you say. Is this that important to you? If sneaking your child on a ride the manufacturer and/or park and/or insurance company says is not safe for your child yet is that important to you, I sincerely suggest you need your priorities re-examined.

Very well put. I agree 100%. You took the words out of my mouth.

• Like 1

I just don't understand the height system - how do they figure it out? I think it would make more since if coasters with a shoulder restraint would be 54", because of if you fit in it or not. But then lap bar restraints - why 54"? Like Diamondback? It doesn't make sense to me.

I found the most amusing height requirement sign at Knoebels during the Spring Preservation Conference. It was for 1001 Nachts, and it had a genie with a lamp on it. The sign read, "rub my lamp and make a wish to be ** inches tall to ride this ride. If your wish does not come true, you get a free wish next year."

As for the restriction rule, you have to draw the line somewhere. They drew it, now follow it. It's for the safety of those who are too short, and if you make them ride too early, it can scare them enough to turn them off of roller coasters permanently. Just ask tycoonrebel7188.

they're pretty strict. I've seen many kids that were 1/2" short or less get turned down for Diamondback. If they can't tell from the height stick they'll put em on the height scale and measure em. If they do that, the bar has to stop on the side of the kid's head. If it brushes over the top - even barely - they won't let them on the ride.

I really love it when guests yell at me when their kid's too short, like it'll make me let them on. More than likely if you yell at a ride op about that they'll just ignore you or call security, so it's in your best interest to accept that your kid is too short.

I saw a lady standing there arguing with a DBack ride op b/c her kid was too short. She refused to believe that her kid was really too short (she was BARELY too short, but was too short) and she wouldn't listen to the ride op, so then they called out a manager, and the lady started arguing with the manager. She finally gave it up, and walked off, really annoyed.

I just don't understand the height system - how do they figure it out? I think it would make more since if coasters with a shoulder restraint would be 54", because of if you fit in it or not. But then lap bar restraints - why 54"? Like Diamondback? It doesn't make sense to me.

because the intensity of DBack lifts your butt out of your seat some, and you slide a lot. Lap bars only click down so far. I'm 5'3" and 110 and I LOVE DBack, but it really lifts me out of my seat. It's for safety, b/c someone too little could fall out or slide out.

I had a guest today with a kid about 1/4 of an inch too short for Phantom Flyers and his dad almost hit me. Called me an a** on his way out the exit too. I laughed.

On PHANTOM FLYERS??? That's so stupid. What's the point of getting all worked up over a kiddie ride?

I had a guest today with a kid about 1/4 of an inch too short for Phantom Flyers and his dad almost hit me. Called me an a** on his way out the exit too. I laughed.

On PHANTOM FLYERS??? That's so stupid. What's the point of getting all worked up over a kiddie ride?

His kid didn't even seem to care. But, yea, I've been called racist and many other, much worse, names by guests with a short kid.

On Wed. At Flume I had a kid that was about 1 1/2 - 2 inches too short to ride and her mom got all worked up saying they rode every week and they had gold passes and how ridiculous I was being. She then asked me where the exit was...*facepalm*

His kid didn't even seem to care. But, yea, I've been called racist and many other, much worse, names by guests with a short kid.

On Wed. At Flume I had a kid that was about 1 1/2 - 2 inches too short to ride and her mom got all worked up saying they rode every week and they had gold passes and how ridiculous I was being. She then asked me where the exit was...*facepalm*

Gold pass syndrome. Just because one has a gold pass (along with a million other people) does not mean you are entitled to certain things that are not in the control of the associates.

• Like 1