PKI History

pki2005

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Racer Did lock PTC standard bars "buzz bars" do lock

Demon at PGA is a clone of Demon at SFGAm They were at one time twin parks. more or less a modifed corkscrew model. In fact Demon was called turn of the century then they changed its theme and added a loop.

Screaming demon on the other hand (also called demon) Was a arrow shuttle loop I believe arrow used a weight drop system simlar to the Other shuttle loops at PGA and SFGAm (at the time Both shuttle loops at those parks haev been removed).

S'demon Was removed for amazon falls (congo falls) In 87 I believe. It was the anchor ride for lion country safari for a really long time. This was when Octoberfest took up much of what we know today is Action Zone.

A eatery also opened with amazon falls I believe.

Monorail was removed cause they didnt need it anymore. After the Country safari thing got old the started adding rides.

S'demon was sold to a park in virgina that cant do crap with it. It sits SBNO now. I will be scrapped soon due to poor maintance on theother parks end.

heres a photoPhoto

heres one more recentclick me

Lets end this now...

Did part of The Racer come from the old Coney Island park? Some say yes, others say no. WHICH IS IT?

Nope, absolutely not. The Racers were built especially for the King's Island and it's grand opening at a cost of 1 million, I believe. Not a lot by today's standards.

Wrong beastfreak, when Racer first opened, it only had flip-down hand grip bars that didn't lock.

So, if they were buzz bars, wouldn't that still be a lap bar? Just not the individual bars like today, and from what I understood the question to be, then yes it had some sort of lap bar.

Edited by beastfreak

O okay thanks for the pics! How come pki constastly adds stuff to Action Zone when that area is already crowed enough?

They are done with Action Zone for a while. They went away from there with Tomb Raider. They only came back because they knew for a while that they were going to take out King Cobra, but due to not bringing in another ride (a coaster which now is at SFWoA) that spot would be empty so they needed to fill it. What better choice than Delirium.

I promise, for the next couple of years there won't be any big work being done in Action Zone.

Screamin' Demon was not sold to a park in Virginia. It was sold to Camden Park in West Virginia, near Huntington. It is not SBNO because of the parks "crappy" as you call it maintenance. It is SBNO because it needs a new computer chip the park cannot afford. The park is in bad shape and will soon close if there is not more revenue made, and yes the Screamin' Demon (now Thunderbolt Express) will soon be disposed of when there is enough money to do so.

I <Who am about 15 minutes from Camden Park> hehe..Thats what I was todl also about the ThunderBolt.I cant even remember the last time it operated.I rode it once when it was at Camden Park.But...In front of the entrance to it ,there is a sign that said OPENING 2002...Welllllll...Its '03 and the thing is still a pile of rust.If you look at coastergallery.com under Camden Park...It MIGHT have some pictures of it on there.Their wooden coasters The Big Dipper and The Little Dipper are falling apart as well..They only add new wood on the track when the ride does'nt pass inspection..Its a great place to go if your bored in the summer.

>>So, if they were buzz bars, wouldn't that still be a lap bar? Just not the individual bars like today, and from what I understood the question to be, then yes it had some sort of lap bar. <<<

No, a buzz bar is just a bar that flips down for you to hold on to.... it is no where near your lap. This was the only type of restarint used on the wooden coasters at KI (and most other parks) until around 1990 or 91. Notice all those sings at the top of the lift hills that say "Remain seated, Do not stand up." That's because with only the buzz bars, it was possible to stand completely upright in the car.

Cris

That looks cool. Is it open now? I also heard that a animal keeper was feeding a loin and the lion bit his arm off. Ouch Is that true? My dad also once went to the park when it was in its first year and the line for the restroom was a mile long because there was only one.

Ah... I remember the slides. Where present day Runaway Reptar is. I don't know why it was taken out. It had a good line every time, up to its closing.

The Submarine ride/game has been debated before, but it never got answered. I think we all just thought it was taken out because it leaked.

pki2005: It was greyish-blue. Shot water too.

The last time I went to PKI (June 24) I was riding the Forewards Racer when I felt something hit my legs. I reached under the seat and I pulled out a seat belt buckle. Was that used as a restraint system, or a back up for the lap bar like on FoF?