PKI History

pki2005

There was an additional charge for the monorail. I remember we used to ride because it was one of the few places with air conditioning. I remember the slide too. I think it originally stood where Zephyer is now (or in the same general area). When it was moved to HB Land it was at least half as tall it used to be.

I still want to see the return of Skylab and the House of Cards. It had the slanted room that people would always step into and then slam against the wall.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still want to see the return of Skylab and the House of Cards.  It had the slanted room that people would always step into and then slam against the wall.

The shylab wasn't even funny. my uncle scared me on them so I hate them now.

Seems you hate alot of rides nowadays...

There was an additional charge for the monorail. I remember we used to ride because it was one of the few places with air conditioning. I remember the slide too. I think it originally stood where Zephyer is now (or in the same general area). When it was moved to HB Land it was at least half as tall it used to be.

I still want to see the return of Skylab and the House of Cards. It had the slanted room that people would always step into and then slam against the wall.

It was exactly where ZEPHYR is now, not sure about zephyer

A shop? That's what happened to the site of the former spinning barrells ride. It would be nice if they could get some nice small flat rides in the area of Coney Mall where they've removed rides and haven't replaced them (Sky Lab, Flight Commander, and Cinema 180)

Does anyone remember the double cage farris wheel that was in the back of the park where flight commander was. Wow I feel old LOL

Yeah, I remember it. I think it was called Zodiac. I rode it a few times. It took you up pretty high. And it was cool because you could spin the cage using a wheel in the center. You didn't spin very fast. Whenever I was there, they only used one side of the ride.

It seems they got rid of all the rides that had a spinning wheel in the center. The Kegs and the witch's cauldron had were the other rides you could spin. Witch's was fun because often the ride ops would get you spinning before the ride started (if you asked them to). We did one time and got my sister sick. My parents then banned us forever from the ride.

I still want to see the return of Skylab and the House of Cards.  It had the slanted room that people would always step into and then slam against the wall.

The shylab wasn't even funny. my uncle scared me on them so I hate them now.

Seems you hate alot of rides nowadays...

No I hate skylab and Top gun and King Cobra (just because people wont leave it alone) thats it.

>>>Does anyone remember the double cage farris wheel that was in the back of the park where flight commander was<<<

I believe Zodiac's last season of operation was 89, so don't worry you aren't that old. lol. I never rode it as, for some reason, I've always been afraid of ferris wheels. Anyway, one half of the Zodiac was where Flight Commander is (was) and the other half of the Zodiac is where Cinema 180 is (was).

As for Skylab, no one was killed, but several people were injured on it. During a power outage, the ride stopped mid cycle, so you can imagine how banged up those people must've got.

Cris

I never actually remember the lake at The Beast, but i do have old maps that show the very beginning part and station being positioned over water. (It was built on the former location of the canoe ride, after all.) I can imagine this was probably a cleaniness/maintenance issue. Not to mention it attracts snakes. We used to see snakes all the time back when waiting inline for White Water Canyon. They would sit out on logs by the water and soak up the sun. In one case there was even a snake coiled up subathing on a stump that was located in the small strip of grass between the entrance patheay and the exit pathway! I do, however, remember the snack bar that they used to have in The Beast Line. I used to buy licorice or a pretzel while waiting in line. Now I believe they just have soda machines there.

As long as we're doing KI history does anyone remember Gulliver's Rub a Dub Tubs? Or the Sky Ride. I was born in 79, so I believe I'm too young to remember them.

There are several thing i do remember that are no long there... Der Spinning Keggers, The Ferris Wheel, The Zodiac, Witch's Cauldrons, Card House, The marionette show in HB-land, Smurf's Enchanted voyage.

Anyone remember Shunshine Turnpike? It was located where the Nicolodeon area is now.

Cris

No one died on Skylab, but there were people that were hurt on it. I remember it wasn't going fast enough and the car that people were riding in hit the metal gard that came up as the wheel went into the air. The next year they took it out

There is no way it can hit the metal guard. The cars rotate out while spinning, if not spinning fast enough they would still hang down. The whole arm with the guard attached goes up at the same speed as the wheel. It is designed so no matter what speed or angle the car is tilted it will not hit.

The ride was taken out for maintenance issues, not injuries.

I never actually remember the lake at The Beast, but i do have old maps that show the very beginning part and station being positioned over water. (It was built on the former location of the canoe ride, after all.) I can imagine this was probably a cleaniness/maintenance issue. Not to mention it attracts snakes. We used to see snakes all the time back when waiting inline for White Water Canyon. They would sit out on logs by the water and soak up the sun. In one case there was even a snake coiled up subathing on a stump that was located in the small strip of grass between the entrance patheay and the exit pathway! I do, however, remember the snack bar that they used to have in The Beast Line. I used to buy licorice or a pretzel while waiting in line. Now I believe they just have soda machines there.

As long as we're doing KI history does anyone remember Gulliver's Rub a Dub Tubs? Or the Sky Ride. I was born in 79, so I believe I'm too young to remember them.

There are several thing i do remember that are no long there... Der Spinning Keggers, The Ferris Wheel, The Zodiac, Witch's Cauldrons, Card House, The marionette show in HB-land, Smurf's Enchanted voyage.

Anyone remember Shunshine Turnpike? It was located where the Nicolodeon area is now.

Cris

I totally forgot about Gullivers. Didn't you just float through and look at scenes? I don't remember any movement. The skyride was cool but I remember when it was struck by lighting and people got stuck. I think the big HB gift shop used to be one of the boarding stations for the skyride. There used to be a line of flat rides as you walked to Coney Island from the Safari part. The Rotor, bobsleds, Skyride, Flying Dutchman (the shoes), Tumblebug and then Racer. Gosh, now that I think about it, they have taken a lot of rides out.