Canada's Wonderland

Rustbucket

Our vacation spot chosen for this year was Toronto, Ontario. Since we had CF passes, one of the spot visited was the Canada's Wonderland. I chose July 31 as the date to visit the park since this was the Action Zone early ride day. My main target was to ride Behemoth.

I drove north on Jane Street to CW around 9:15 am. The most visible ride was Behemoth. The coaster really stood out.

As I entered the parking lot, the attendant told me that she has never seen a platinum pass before. I thought that was an odd comment since I know many coaster people who have visited the park since Behemoth opened. We headed straight toward Behemoth after parking. At the entrance, the park people stamped the hands with Dora the Explorer. This was needed to ride the Action Zone rides.

#193 Behemoth - This B&M coaster has been compared to Diamondback for obvious reasons. I entered the que and took 8-1. The trains were nearly identical to Diamondback trains. The track made a 90 degree turn out of the station and over the chain lift we went. The first drop was not as intense as Diamondback. The second hill floater air time was quite nice. It was very comparable to Diamondback second hill air. The third hill was really a tight hammerhead turnaround. The fourth hill was the most intense air time hill of the entire ride. I wish there was not a trim there. The fifth and sixth hills had trims as well, and then the MCBR. After that, there was a clockwise 720 degree helix, camera station, a 270 dgree banked turn and two bunny hills to a blocked break.

My impressions on 8-1 and 8-2 were that Behemoth air time was quite similar to Diamondbackbut somewhat less. On 1-1 and 1-2, however, the ejection air time was more intense than those on Diamondback. I actually prefered the front on this ride where as I prefer the back on Diamondback. Overall, Diamondback feels slightly faster. The lateral on Behemoth was better. I think that the splashdown on Diamondback makes it a more interesting ride. During the early ride time, we rode this 10 times. (10/10)

#194 Back Lot Stunt Coaster - Hmmm... Italian Jobs? Frankly, this was a same ride without the explosion in the middle. (7/10)

#195 Mighty Canadian Minebuster - I understand that this is a replica of "Shooting Star" which was located at Coney Island but destroyed in 1971. I can see The Racer in this ride was well as The Beast. This wooden coaster was an out and back design with a helix ending. The enclosed helix at the end of this ride was undoubtedly the inspiration for The Beast. I rode this 3 times. (8/10)

#196 SkyRider - King Cobra anyone? Quite rough now. (6/10)

#197 Silver Streak - It felt like Runaway Reptar for some reason (6/10)

#198 Scooby's Gasping Ghoster Coaster - Well, Beastie and Scooby Doo's Coaster Coaster combined. Or should I say it was Fairly Odd. (6/10)

#199 Fly - My.... This felt like Ricochet at KD. The color was the same as well. (6/10)

#200 Vortex - Wow... This suspended coaster felt like Top Gun/Flightdeck. One BIG difference was no head banging as the train comes back to the station. I guess the second hill is slightly different. The ride was on a mountain top which basically had two coasters. The mountain reminded me somewhat of the mountain on Volcano at KD. (7/10)

#201 Thunder Road - This was an interesting enclosed coaster. The train went around twice but themed inside of the mountain mentioned on Vortex. The ride was a figure 8 layout. (7/10)

#202 Bat - I swear I was on this ride before. Zoomerang? Boomerang? (6/10)

#203 Wild Beast - This was another replica, I believe, from old Coney Island: The Wildcat. This wooden coaster had a figure 8 design in the middle. The coaster needs some re-tracking! Otherwise, this was a quite an enjoyable coaster. (7/10)

#204 Dragon Fire - These Arrow coasters sure were popular some years ago. Corkscrew, Carolina Cyclone and Demon (SFGAm) type of ride. I "browned out" briefly during a helix. Maybe, I am getting too old to ride this. (6/10)

#205 Flight Deck - This was a Vekoma Invert. I believe this was an identically ride to Thunderhawk at GL (relocated to Michigan Adventure). I like these except for some head banging. There was a long line for this ride when I got off. (8/10)

#206 Time Warp - All I can say about this ride is FLYING WILD MOUSE coaster. The main elements were zero G rolls. There were several of these. Another long wait! (7/10).

I have to say that Behemoth was by far and away the best ride in the park. There were many riding coaster said that they have never seen anything like Behemoth. People were extremely excited about this coaster.

All other coasters except for Minebuster and Wildcat were clones of some kind. I guess these wooden coasters were technically clones as well. The park was not exceptionally busy so that we were able to ride all coasters except for Taxi Jam. The ride operators were somewhat of a mix bag. Behemoth ride ops were quite interactive, but some others were indifferent. The park was very clean though. I am not sure if I will go out of my way to return to this park since only Behemoth stood out but it is a top notch coaster.

Next stop - return to Six Flags New England to ride Bizarro.

#195 Mighty Canadian Minebuster - I understand that this is a replica of "Shooting Star" which was located at Coney Island but destroyed in 1971. I can see The Racer in this ride was well as The Beast. This wooden coaster was an out and back design with a helix ending. The enclosed helix at the end of this ride was undoubtedly the inspiration for The Beast. I rode this 3 times. (8/10)

It's a mirror image of the Shooting Star. However over the years, it's been chopped and hacked for the sake of waterslides. It's not the ride it was originally built to be. Oh, and the Minebuster helix was not the inspiration for The Beast... Beast was built prior. Unless you meant the Shooting Star...

#203 Wild Beast - This was another replica, I believe, from old Coney Island: The Wildcat. This wooden coaster had a figure 8 design in the middle. The coaster needs some re-tracking! Otherwise, this was a quite an enjoyable coaster. (7/10)

Similar, with some variations. It's actually the exact same coaster as Grizzly at KD and the former Bush Beast at Australias Wonderland.

Shaggy

Yea, Canada's Wonderland has a good coaster lineup, but only one standout coaster. The real treasures at Canada's Wonderland is the great variety of flat rides. They have many great ones, especially Sledgehammer and Shockwave.

It looks A LOT more thrilling watching it from the D- (sh*t...I almost typed Diamondback!) from the Behemoth queue than when riding it...very gentle and not very forceful. Btw, Dave, did you do their Mondial frisbee? Now THAT is a lot more forceful than either Delirium or maXair IMO...

It looks A LOT more thrilling watching it from the D- (sh*t...I almost typed Diamondback!) from the Behemoth queue than when riding it...very gentle and not very forceful. Btw, Dave, did you do their Mondial frisbee? Now THAT is a lot more forceful than either Delirium or maXair IMO...

Yes we did. It was great too.

[

It's a mirror image of the Shooting Star. However over the years, it's been chopped and hacked for the sake of waterslides. It's not the ride it was originally built to be. Oh, and the Minebuster helix was not the inspiration for The Beast... Beast was built prior. Unless you meant the Shooting Star...

Similar, with some variations. It's actually the exact same coaster as Grizzly at KD and the former Bush Beast at Australias Wonderland.

Sorry. Shooting Star is what I meant about The Beast.

Thank you for the Grizzly info. I did not realize that since the coaster being in a heavily wooden area. Too bad that they cut down many of the trees. Grizzly was my first wooden coaster way back in 1982.

About the food prices, they were somewhat higher than in the US although I did not eat there. In fact, the food prices were higher in Toronto in general than in Cincinnati area.

^I thought the prices at the Pizza Pizza restaurant in the strip mall on Major Mac were the same as in the States...as was the McDonald's as well, but I did hear that "tablecloth" places were a bit more pricey there than say your Montgomery Inn or Mitchell's in Cinci.

I want to ride Behemoth soooo bad.

You should!! Although I love Diamondback! Behemoth is more thrilling, plus no seat assigning!! (at least when I was there).

Although I love Diamondback! Behemoth is more thrilling, plus no seat assigning!! (at least when I was there).

Tig, As you know from a similar discussion on CoasterBuzz. We disagree about whether Diamondback or Behemoth is better. IMO (that is all we are really talking about here :P ) Diamondback is a little better. Both are great rides.

I have never been denied the seat of my choosing on Diamondback. Maybe it is because I always greet the ride op with a big smile and say Please.

As to happy-go-lucky, I would say that most of the time at an amusement park I am. I am self employed in a business that's clientele has a high discretionary income. Add that to a tough economy and I have a ton of stress at work. I go to the amusement parks to forget about work for a few hours.

Earlier this year I let myself get upset with a line jumper. It ended up tarnishing my day. I only got in 11 coaster rides at CP before heading home frustrated. I compare that to Monday when I made a consious decision to not stress and had a great day even though I only got 7 coaster rides in.