Tennis inside the Fountains, Anyone?

BoddaH1994

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some further details:

How do the best women’s tennis players in the world get warmed up for the Sony Ericsson WTA (Women’s Tennis Association) Tour in Cincinnati? Visit Kings Island Saturday, August 8 and watch as former world No. 1 ranked Kim Clijsters – who is making her return to the WTA Tour – takes on current No. 4 ranked Elena Dementieva inside the Royal Fountains on International Street at 4:00pm.

Clijsters retired in 2007 after winning the 2005 US Open title and reaching four Grand Slam singles finals – two French Opens (’01 & ’03), the US Open (’03) and the Australian Open (’04). She also won 34 singles titles (including five Tier I events, now known as the Premier level) and 11 doubles titles on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour.

Clijsters spent 19 weeks at No. 1 and won more than $14 million in prize money. She was the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour’s Newcomer of the Year in 1999, and Player of the Year in 2005.

Dementieva has won two Olympic Gold medals in singles, including the Gold Medal at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. She has reached the finals of two Grand Slam events and was ranked as high as No. 3 in the world as recently as April, 2009.

The “match” inside the fountains between Clijsters and Dementieva is included free with park admission and season pass.

I'm assuming they'll somehow build a tennis court horizontally across the fountain. Pretty exotic if you ask me. Of course this also begs the question... what kind of surface will they be on?? I've heard of grass, clay, and hardcourt. What's this? Plywood? Water? Inflatable Raft?

I'm intrigued. But good job Kings Island for finding different ways to attract visitors.

DETAILS ON "THE MATCH" AT Kings Island:

* Both players will be on a specially-made court inside the Royal Fountains

* Best view is probably from the top of International Street near the main gate

* Show starts at 4:00pm and will last approximately 20 minutes

* Guests will have the opportunity to win tickets to the WTA Tour following the match

Well, if anyone here goes, post pics. I'm interested in seeing that setup.

What will they think of next...maybe a Grand Prix in the parking lot

I wanna see rally racing around the park.

Ok so when I got this text, first i thought, SWEET!, and then i thought, well how are they gonna do this? haha but yes, rally car racing around the park would be a very beastly idea.

I don't know what to say... I went up to the park today for a few hours, and I saw the "tennis court." It's a TINY tennis court, maybe 10' x 10' and it's sitting literally on top of the first fountain "bowl" as you enter the park. I don't know how they're going to "warm up" as the park has described. In fact I don't know how they would even hit a tennis ball back and forth. While I didn't expect much, I didn't think it would be that bad.

I don't know what to say... I went up to the park today for a few hours, and I saw the "tennis court." It's a TINY tennis court, maybe 10' x 10' and it's sitting literally on top of the first fountain "bowl" as you enter the park. I don't know how they're going to "warm up" as the park has described. In fact I don't know how they would even hit a tennis ball back and forth. While I didn't expect much, I didn't think it would be that bad.

You should've tried to get some pictures. But, since you didn't, I did the work for you :P.

Picture!

By the way, yeah, that tennis court is VERY small. Not even 10 feet by 10 feet.