KIC: What Happened?

Guest rcfreak339

I like your attitude rcfreak339 but KICentral always Was, Is and Continues to be the best Theme/Aumusement park fan sites out there. Things change over time and adjustments need to be made to maintain things but I know the Admins and Mod will come through like they have done in the past.

as funny as Diamondbacklover can be (cheerio poopsik really made my day when i was bad off sick) :P this forum has so much good information that even as a park employee was new and exciting to me. I have to tell park guests all the time its Kings Island its for fun calm down and relax. Now how about everyone getting angry realizes this forum is just for fun?

But it isn't just for fun. Fun is a part of it, yes...but media and others come here for accurate, up-to-date information. That's part of the pressure on the KI/KIC relationship. A balance must be sought, and tipping too far into the frivolous can be just as dangerous, if not more so, than too far into the unofficial mouthpiece of Kings Island arena....

As a working member of the Media (Not in Cincy) its important that the difference between personal opinion and fact be stated. But then again if a media member only uses one site for his or her "fact" checking they deserve the punishment and what else that comes for reporting rumors

• Like 1

They should have to take a test to join. :lol:

It's not they don't know what they are talking about as in they don't know much about Kings Island but just like common sense. Go read the Firehawk thread. It's a perfect example....People arguing and bashing.

I have been reading the Firehawk thread people can get so immature.

Just go on the Geauga Lake fan site. I somehow got onto it from another site and they just flat out bashed Cedar Fair to the point to where i think that if Cedar Fair seen it, it could mean the site could get shut down. And the mods on that site was bashing Cedar Fair as well. I know that alot of people was mad that Geauga Lake closed, but to say the things they had said was just flat out wrong. KIC is cool. Way better then most sites i am a member of. The mods here have law and order and stuff. I dont think i've seen you guys at the park cause i dont know what yall look like. But hopefully i will be able to meet up sometime with you guys and just ride coasters all day. Lol. :)

Funny, I have been around this site for a few years. I have seen many things happen to this site, the good the bad and the ugly. Always seems that during the seasson, with a new pretty ride lots of new faces appear. Some become great members, others not so much, but the off seasson will come and many of those members will disappear never to be seen or heard from again. The core members are here year round and those are typically the opinions that most listen to and respect. I remember when Jackson was trying to figure that out, maybe I was a little hard on him in the begining but he stuck around and does quite well for himself. Unfortunately there are too many that aren't even trying and I really don't care what you say you are not worth the time it takes to read your post.

I know who I respect and who I listen too around here. I look for what Terpy is not saying, another great Avatar trip report, RZ to break down the technical aspects of something, Jackson to give his youthful perspective, and the list goes on. I just wonder if it is time for the higher ups to empower more with mod status to patrol the forums because of their busy schedules? There are many long time members who would make excelent mods. I think the site has grown too big for too few to patrol. I also wait for features like the KIC Newsletter and so on, that were discussed yet havent happend, havent seen too many KIC texts lately either. Im just saying, these are things that make KIC unique in a thrill ride web culture that is overrun with tpr and coasterbuzz forums, KIC is different, always has been and always will be. Atleast that is what I hope. Some of the new folks don't understand the knowledge and insight that the membership of KIC posses, I dare anyone to find a more knowledgeable base around. Sometimes it is best to shut up and just listen.

No more stupid random thread because you just reached 100 posts (great I dont care, nor does anyone else), or You get a cookie comments, another poll to determine what is the best amusement park poll around, burn SoB to the ground, and the list goes on... Don't post because you are bored, post because you have something insightful and knowledgeable to share, post because you care about this site and the direction it is going, not because you will be one post closer to Terpy. Realize no mater how hard you try you will not reach his quantity and if you do by some chance you are nowhere near his league or quality. Remember quality over quantity, Terpy is the rarity because he masters both.

I enjoy this site too much and have put too much time and effort in as a member to earn my place and my respect within its ranks. I will not standby and watch as morons degrade and tarnish what has become a haven for entusiasts of KI and the industry in general. Do your part to make this site great and remember respect is not something that is given to you, it must be earned on this site. I challenge each and every member to try and continualy earn respect from others on this site, if you are not willing to put in the effort, than leave. Simple as that.

• Like 1

I also wait for features like the KIC Newsletter and so on, that were discussed yet havent happend, havent seen too many KIC texts lately either.

I try to minimize the amount of texts sent out. I realize that it, in its own way, disturbs your day to day life so I try to only use it when there's some sort of interesting or breaking news.

The newsletter? I had completely forgotten about that. I'll have to pick that up again. Thanks for the reminder.

Well said, Rail Rider. I hope something comes out of this, whether it be a lesson learned by just a few newer members, or even if someone really thinks about their post before just writing junk. Any step in the right direction is a plus.

• Like 1

rcfreak - thanks for posting what many have been thinking. Also thanks to those of you who added to this conversation and to BoddaH as an admin/mod for engaging on it quickly.

And although I still consider myself a new guy around here from a posting standpoint, I was lurking for a long time prior and think this was/is/will continue to be an awesome place for KI and coaster enthusiasts to come have friendly conversations (with a little humor thrown in). Although one has to recognize that humor is always a risk as funny to one person may not be funny to all (especially across the generations that come to this site).

This site has added to my enjoyment of KI this year and allowed me to meet some great people (including several I met today at KI/Strickers - where we had full trains of KIC'ers on Tornado and Teddy Bear, along with a KIC cycle on the Flying Scooters). I expect this kind of activity to continue and hope you (any of you who want to) can join for the next meet-up.

One of my biggest frustrations with the newest group of posters is the horrible spelling. It takes a decoder ring to understand some of these posts. And the biggest offenders seem to feel the need to post in every topic making it difficult to read through the threads.

You are NOT going to be taken seriously if you won't even make the effort to spell first grade level words correctly.

• Like 1

Hey BoddaH I may be a newer member to KIC but if I can offer my slight expertise to the newsletter I would be more than willing to help out with it in anyway you need. An article written or such and such. I have a degree in Digital Media Convergence which incorporates Radio/TV/Print journalism. I may not be able to get to the park as often as I like as I will soon be going to grad school this fall at Kent, but would love to offer up my ability to help the common goal....

• Like 1

DiamondbackLover, I don't really know how to say this without being blunt. But you're making yourself look like an idiot right now. If you're still here in the future posting, you'll probably remember this and feel so embarrassed.

i agree with this comment 100%, not because i'm trying to make Diamondbacklover mad, but because i know it's true, just look at some of my first post, and even now i post some things and then wish that there was a way that i myself could go back and remove one of my comments and erase one of the many arguements that i had/have/and most likely will have created.

and with the creation of this thread it makes me want to say i'm sorry for any argument that i have started.

actually dalefan, CF officials/employees do read the Geagua Lake Today site... and their subsequent forums. There was a guy named "Dave" who posted pictures of the park demolition, who didn't work direclty for CF, but for the contractor- who, as best I can tell, was released from his employment and the pictures on the site removed.

unfortunately for this site, the days of Twitter, FaceBook, etc... and the relentless blogging of individuals leaves many to think that people care about EVERY opinion they have on any topic. I have someone on my facebook network that posted 5 times about laying his kitchen floor, and that he hopes he has enough time to finish it. I DON'T CARE... seems a simple solution to the time would be to STOP POSTING.

so, if there is a thread about Firehawk... well I must have an opinion so why not post. and unfortunately for the Moderators there are more people and more threads to moderate than they have time to read after. There are a few newbies on here that have over 1000 posts in their first 6 months. I've been on here four years and I don't have 700 (i think).... i can't see my numbers.

Granted, if I see someone is getting spirited I will be the first to try and push a button or come up with an obviously preposterous "factoid." Most will see right through it and "get" it- and I do it in good nature.

This is still a great site. for the most part moderated pretty well (I about got "moderated" for a political avatar.... before (and I can't think of his name... Ronny maybe)- realized it was a Dwight Schrute mock up). The site is very respectable in that childish comments are tough to cut out, but it always seems that the heated debate topics are kept to a minimum. Go to the cincinnati.com or any news outlet "comment" threads from their stories. This site is Pulitzer-caliber compared to some of the dolts that post on those sites.

• Like 1

The same thing happened to another online forum I was part of and I no longer post on that site. It started getting filled with jerks.

Pointbuzz?

Nope. SSCoasters.net. It was a good when I joined and a lot of jerks started to join and there were fights every day, and the mods didn't even care!

For me, KIC is like being at Kings Island when I can't be there physically. Mostly, it's sharing great conversation with like interests in the park and the amusement industry (sometimes I admit I get a little over-the-top, and I apologize to you for that). Some of the rude and/or irrelevant posts I see on here give me the same feeling as I get when encountering a line jumper, "free-range smoker" or someone spouting off profanity. Still, it is the most balanced, well-moderated site I know, and thankfully, the worst 'offenders' seem to always be dealt with quickly. :mellow:

• Like 1

Guest rcfreak339
I think it would be a GREAT idea to have a question and answer forum- one that anyone can post questions about anything related to Kings Island or other amusement parks.

I actually like this idea.....A forum with just simple straight up answers, like "Is Haunt included with admission?", "Yes", *thread closed*

I think it would be a GREAT idea to have a question and answer forum- one that anyone can post questions about anything related to Kings Island or other amusement parks.

I actually like this idea.....A forum with just simple straight up answers, like "Is Haunt included with admission?", "Yes", *thread closed*

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea but it has a lot of logistical problems. It stems down from the fact that this is an open forum and anyone can post anything. If someone asks a question they may get 5 different answers with none of them being accurate. That's why I asked earlier in the season that questions about park policies, operations, etc be directed towards the call center at 1-800-288-0808.

Guest rcfreak339

I'ts just frustrating seeing a site that once had very educated posts (still does (for the most part)) now have some very uneducated ones that just make the forums look bad...

I completely agree with the original post here. When I joined in 2007 KIC was a fantastic site. Even when I was being a "bad boy" in mid 2008 KICentral was a very well run, successful site. But it seems over the last year or so the site has slowly demised. Half of the posters here seem to half no clue what they're talking about, and arguments and flame wars have been sparking up like wildfire. There's been a ton of spam, and the mods seem to be sitting by and not doing much at all while all of this goes on. I also must point out that the information on this site (Such as the attractions page) has information from years ago, that hasn't been updated.

I used to love this site, but recently it seems as though it's dying. I want to see the site survive, there's still a chance to save it, but something has to be done.

• Like 1

There is an ebb and flow to everything. I am an old guy...I have been around this site and the one before it 2 times. With success means growth. It also means especially with a Theme Park, a lot of younger kids will want to join because they think it's cool. A lot, and not always the young ones, think it's cool to try to be funny, or it's ok to be a jerk or a jerkette and put up dump posts. Well, a lot of those types lose their zeal pretty fast IF no one responds to that post. As hard as it can be sometimes, don't jump on a bad poster, correct their misinformation or blatant stupidity. That gets rid of the freaks, geeks and creeps faster than you can say reopen SOB. But...on the other side, new or young members can also be just as informed, make good points and become great members for a lifetime. Sometimes we have to lead by example. "Nuff said.

• Like 1

This forum is about you guys. Don't let others ruin it for you. If you see a specific member who consistently posts spam or useless info, let us know. You be the prosecutor, we'll be the judge, jury and on good days executioner.

Sorry to double post --

For those of you who were wondering: yes, the "I am going on hiatus" thread was removed.

One less bit of stupidity that the rest of you need to deal with.

What was up with that thread in the first place? If you're going to go on hiatus, either simply stop posting, or if you have to say so, make a reply somewhere!