Riders stranded for hours after Invertigo breaks down at Great America

I kept on thinking when they flashed the headline, "What else does KI have to deal with?" Then I saw that it was Great America where the incident occurred. Not that an incident occurring there makes it better, but KI has had their hands full with enough issues recently.

That ran on the local news in Columbus too, then they had to mention Firehawk, and SoB after that.

The funny part was, when showing SoB, it was the animated video from before it was built, showing the POV of it going through the loop!!! I thought it was funny.

They said here that they were trapped for hours. I wonder if that means 2 hours, or like 6 or more. That would suck!!!

Not to jinx it, and people's MMV, but KI's Invertigo has been fantastic overall in terms of reliability!

I was personally stuck on KI's version (then Face/Off) for an hour. Train station brakes failed to work quick enough, and we stalled at the base of the cobra roll.

Shaggy

Guest rcfreak339

Invertigos have problems and KI's has been one that has not seen much down time, Yes it's down sometimes but compared to most Boomerangs it has to be one of the best.

That ran on the local news in Columbus too, then they had to mention Firehawk, and SoB after that.

The funny part was, when showing SoB, it was the animated video from before it was built, showing the POV of it going through the loop!!! I thought it was funny.

They said here that they were trapped for hours. I wonder if that means 2 hours, or like 6 or more. That would suck!!!

I think I read it was like 2.5 hours.

Some riders were stuck for nearly five hours:

...Specialized units from the City of San Jose Fire Department and the Santa Clara County Fire Department worked in concert with the City of Santa Clara to safely free the riders over a nearly five hour period.

Riders were lowered in pairs using the platform baskets of San Jose Fire's Truck 29 and Santa Clara County's Truck 1. After safely reaching the ground, each rider was given a medical check and released, with many of the thrill seekers heading straight for other rides in the park.

There were no injuries to the patrons or their rescuers and the Invertigo roller coaster remains out of service pending repair.

http://www.firefightingnews.com/article-US...articleID=69162

Probe To Dismantle Invertigo At California's Great America:

...Inspectors from the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health planned to take the ride apart and potentially send away mechanical parts for analysis, said agency spokeswoman Erika Monterroza.

It was not yet clear how long the investigation by the agency's elevator, ride and tramway unit would take, Monterroza said.

"Really what they're looking for is why the ride failed," she explained.

Great America spokesman Jim Stellmack said that while "The Invertigo" ride was shut down indefinitely as investigators looked into what caused the malfunction, other operations at the theme park were unaffected....

A preliminary investigation indicated that the ride's lift chain malfunctioned, Monterroza said. The lift chain pulls the train up the coaster's tracks....

http://cbs5.com/local/great.america.invest....2.1123940.html

...Inspectors from the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health planned to take the ride apart and potentially send away mechanical parts for analysis, said agency spokeswoman Erika Monterroza.

It was not yet clear how long the investigation by the agency's elevator, ride and tramway unit would take, Monterroza said.

Great America spokesman Jim Stellmack said that while "The Invertigo" ride was shut down indefinitely as investigators looked into what caused the malfunction, other operations at the theme park were unaffected....

A preliminary investigation indicated that the ride's lift chain malfunctioned, Monterroza said. The lift chain pulls the train up the coaster's tracks....

That's gonna be expensive. But, it has to be done.

Thanks for all the info you always bring to the site Terp. As Diamondback FOF said this will probably be expensive ad does stink for the park and the ride itself it has to be done to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

I actually got the news of this coaster being stuck from my grandmother. She called me and said "A roller coaster is stuck upside down." Of course I said "No way", because as we all know it's almost physically impossible for a roller coaster to get stuck upside down. When I turned on the Fox news I was surprised and thought it was our precious KI Invertigo. Lucky it was not. Also I was surprised that this made national news. All the stations(Fox, CNN, NBC, ABC) probably thought this incident was going to result in death or they probably wouldn't have aired it.

I'd like to know why it took them so long to get everyone down to begin with. I realize that it's not easy to plan for such a situation, but Kings Island always seems to have a cherry picker laying around Invertigo for maintenance people to inspect the track, so surely Great America has something similar.