Rank Kings Islands roller coasters from best to worst

zachman

So, to you the ranks were visible but the coasters were not? That's hilarious! My dad has showed me that there's some on-line, "what's my content look like on..." app; maybe I should look into that, given my propensity for using font variations (sorry.)  :lol:

Ranks were only visible for me too..

• Like 1

:lol: Okay, okay, I'll keep it standard. Sorry for any confusion.

-Tb, waiting for technology to ketchup.

Your good. I actually started using the old theme again due to issues of people viewing my Busch Gardens trip report Part 2, oh the irony! You arent alone.  :)

• Like 1

Only just now after reading malem's post and the following posts did I realize that there was white text there.

I personally use the white background theme because I hate going from a site with a dark background to the bright white backgrounds that dominate the internet. It hurts my eyes.

• Like 4

Here goes. Favorite coasters at Kings Island.

1. Banshee

2. The Beast

3. Backlot Stunt Coaster

4. Adventure Express

5. The Racer

6. The Bat/Flight Deck

7. Woodstock Express/Fairly Odd Coaster

8. Flying Ace Aerial Chase/Runaway Reptar

9. Vortex

I'm too chicken to go on Diamondback, Firehawk, Flight of Fear, and Invertigo, and I haven't been on Little Bill's Giggle Coaster since 2009-2010ish.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/7/2015 at 7:20 PM, McSalsa said:

Wow, epic 6-year old bump. :P

And might as well include my personal rankings...

1. The Beast

2. Banshee

3. Diamondback

4. Flight of Fear

5. Vortex

6. The Bat

7. The Racer

8. Backlot Stunt Coaster

9. Adventure Express

10. Firehawk

11. Surf Dog

12. Invertigo

13. Woodstock Express

14. Great Pumpkin Coaster

To be honest though, I don't think Kings Island actually has any truly bad roller coasters as I enjoyed them all. If I were grading these, even Invertigo at the very bottom would get a C, maybe even a C+. (Haven't really ridden Woodstock Express in ages and Great Pumpkin is a very kiddie ride I have yet to also ride in ages) And everything else would be a "B" or higher. Though I have not been to very many parks yet (just KI and Holiday World for now) and thus may have to adjust this scale should I ride more and more great roller coasters in the future. Or maybe I am just optimistic and will probably find way more roller coasters enjoyable instead of not as I get to more parks.

Also, IMO, this belongs in polls, not the general KI forum...but whatever. No big deal really.

EDIT: I went ahead and added Surf Dog, Woodstock Express, and Great Pumpkin Coaster to this list. I don't really consider Surf Dog a coaster but some posters were adding it, so I did as well...I have a reason though. It'll come in another post later. :P

EDIT #2: Ehh, nevermind. What I was thinking wouldn't work out. I'll leave this post as-is anyways.

OK, I already posted in here once (and I quote myself), but here is my "2017 Update". Some things have changed...

1. The Beast (Mainly Due to Night Rides- would be #3 if rated only on Daylight/Early Evening rides)

2. Diamondback (Rises above Banshee due to recent rides on it giving me lots more airtime than what I remember the coaster giving earlier on)

3. Banshee

4. Mystic Timbers (Did not exist in 2015)

5. Flight of Fear (Really threatens Mr. T for #4 when the MCBR is off...)

6. Vortex (From 5-1 or 7-1, ranks lower from other seats due to slight roughness increase and lack of airtime on first drop)

7. The Bat

8. Backlot Stunt Coaster (Little sucker has grown on me in recent years to pass Racer, fun little coaster)

9. The Racer (I perfer Red Side- in recent rides, it was a little rougher but also had more airtime)

10. Adventure Express

11. Firehawk

(Surf Dog- if counted as a coaster- would be here. I don't see it as one though.)

12. Invertigo

13. Woodstock Express

NR. Flying Ace Aerial Chase (NR means never ridden)

Also to be fair I will say that while these rankings are my overall, a lot of these coasters are pretty close to each other and on any given day there can be a lot of swapping places if one gives a good or bad ride.

Steel-

1. Diamondback- perfect blend of speed, airtime, positive g's, pacing, and smoothness.  

2. Banshee- An intense blend of inversions and a high paced course

3. Vortex- A bit rough at places, but I still find it a fun experience

4. Flight of Fear- Awesome launch, the indoors allow a bit of misdirection, and the 2nd half is a pretty nice way to end things

5. Firehawk- like the flying coaster concept overall, a graceful ride, but a bit too much time spent on your back

6. Bat- A great suspended coaster, very smooth and in a good location, somewhat short though

7. Adventure Express- A good mine train coaster, also in a nice secluded location, a bit anti-climactic though, one ride where Ron Toomer transitions are welcome

8. Invertigo- A unique ride for sure being that there's only 2-3 left in the world still operating, but a bit too intense for me at times, can be a tad rough in the cobra roll as well

9. Backlot Stunt Coaster- A concept which I believe could have been done better.  It has some nice moments like the helix, a surprising launch, the s-curves through the police cars is slick at night, and the tunnel is decent, but still lacking all around, also kind of an eyesore

Wood- 

1. Beast- A truly legendary coaster, such a great romp through the woods with the ultimate secluded location in the park and has some great big moments to make up for lacking in the airtime, also the best helix of all time

2. Mystic Timbers- GCI knows how to use those Millennium Flyers well with a course that doesn't let up from start to finish.  Also above average in the theming for a chain park and the shed that gives it some character.  The only reason I like Beast better is the differences in style.  MT focuses more in intensity and not letting up while Beast is more of a journey with the bigger moments that are built up better

3. Racer- Has the airtime Beast lacks with the racing aspect to boot, but getting a tad rough and neglected.  C'mon KI, put a little TLC into this sucker and it'll live up to its potential

• Like 1

1. Diamondback
 2. Banshee
 3. Mystic Timbers
 4. The Beast
 5. The Bat
 6. Firehawk
 7. Flight of Fear
 8. Invertigo
 9. Vortex
10. Backlot Stunt Coaster
11. Adventure Express
12. The Racer
13. Flying Ace Arial Chase
14. Woodstock Express
NR:   The Great Pumpkin Coaster
NAC: Surf Dog

• Like 1

1. Mystic Timbers

2. Diamondback

3. Banshee

4. The Beast

5. Racer (both sides)

6. Vortex

7. The Bat

8. Firehawk

9. Adventure Express

10. Backlot Stunt Coaster

11. Flight of Fear

12. Invertigo

13. Woodstock Express

15. Flying Ace Arial Chase

1. Mystic Timbers

2. Diamondback 

3. Banshee

4. Vortex

5. The Beast

6. Firehawk

7. F.O.F.

8. The Bat

9. Racer

10. Adventure Express

11. Flight of Fear

12. Invertigo 

13. Woodstock Express

14. Flying Ace 

15. Great Pumpkin

Some of these are real close, and could be swapped. 

1. Mystic Timbers

2. Diamondback

3. Banshee

4. The Beast

5. The Bat

6. Flight of Fear

7. The Racer

8. Adventure Express

9. Backlot Stunt Coaster

10. Firehawk

11. Vortex

12. Invertigo

13. Woodstock Express

15. Flying Ace Aerial Chase

• 5 years later...

1. The Beast

2. Mystic Timbers

3. Diamondback

4. Banshee

5. The Bat

6. Orion

7. The Racer

8. Flight of Fear

9. Adventure Express

10. Woodstock Express

11. Backlot Stunt Coaster

12. Invertigo

13. Flying Ace Aerial Chase

14. The Great Pumpkin Coaster

• Like 2

So, this is difficult, because I haven't ridden Invertigo or the Planet Snoopy coasters yet this season, but so far, it's...

1.      Orion

2.      Banshee

3.      Diamondback

4.      Adventure Express

5.      Racer (Red more, though)

6.      Mystic Timbers

7.      Flight of Fear

8.       Beast

9.       The Bat

10.   Invertigo

11.   Woodstock Express

12.   Flying Ace Aerial Chase

13.  Backlot Stunt Coaster

I have last year's list (from 7/19/22) on a Word doc and I'd like to say that The Bat and Diamondback have had significant movement in the past year (and to a lesser extent, Racer), mostly due to me actually enjoying the latter and the former showing its age, Oddly enough, Mystic Timbers and Beast are in exactly the same position as last year lol Also, Orion is still #1 at the park for me, even though I ride Diamondback more.

• Like 4

I’ll give this a shot.

1. Orion

2. Mystic Timbers

3. Diamondback

4. Banshee

5. The Beast

6. The Bat

7. Backlot Stunt Coaster

8. Adventure Express

9. The Racer

10. Flight of Fear ( It has gotten rough as the years go on )

11. Woodstock Express

12. Invertigo

13. Great Pumpkin Coaster

14. Flying Ace Aerial Chase

• Like 2

1a. Son of Beast forever

1b. Mystic Timbers

2. Flight of Fear

3. The Bat

4. Adventure Express

5. Orion

6. Backlot Stunt Coaster

7. The Beast

8. Banshee

9. Diamondback

10.  The Racer

11. Surf Dog

12 Woodstock Express

13/ Flying Ace Aerial Chase

15 and still to high ranked Invertigo

• Like 3

I like the thread bump!  For me so far this year 2023 it is...

1. The Beast (Front row at night - if not for the stipulation it is further down the list, probably number 6 if I get a random row on a random day, but for me there is nothing else like this specific experience!)

2. Orion

3. Mystic Timbers

4. Diamondback

5. Banshee

6. The Bat

7. The Racer

8. Adventure Express (Love the new theming!)

9. Backlot Stunt Coaster

10. Flight of Fear

11. Woodstock Express

12. Flying Ace Aerial Chase

13. Invertigo

My #2-#4 rankings have definitely fluctuated over the last few years.  Up until this season, I had Diamondback ahead of Orion, but have really enjoyed Orion my visits so far this year.

My last good ride on Invertigo was Coasterstock of 2019 ERT.  Since we got the Stinger trains, I had a couple days ruined by violence induced headaches, I only ride this If I'm with people who really want to do it.  I have not had a positive experience on this ride recently at all, which is why it is ranked so low.  

• Like 1