SFGA

mtl2013

Now, i know that these forums are about KI and other CF parks, and that this isnt a trip "report", but, I am going to six flags great america next weekend, and I was just wondering....:

1) What rides should I get to?

2)what are their food prices like?

3)are they normally buisy at this point in the season??

any answers will help.

thanks

-Matt

First, SFGA is Six Flags Great Adventure in Six Flags parlance.

At Six Flags Great America, must do rides include Viper (do NOT miss it, many think it excels the Coney Island Cyclone, on which it is modeled), Whizzer (a wonderful ride that was saved due to public outcry), Raging Bull (so you will know how wonderful Diamondback is), Batman: The Ride, the original of its kind. Should you think Mantis is a mean stand-up, you simply must try Iron Wolf (others plop as they think I said something nice about that...uh...interesting coaster).

Food prices are comparable to Kings Island, though the Papa John's pizza is way too expensive for what it is. The cheese bread is a better option if funds are an issue.

Six Flags Great America is near the Chicago area, in Gurnee north of town. It is ALWAYS busy in my experience. I would not expect it not to be.

Most of all, enjoy!

^Btw, I dunno how you're traveling, but 65 North around Merrillville, IN there is some major construction going on...as in, like, flaggers on an interstate letting cars go in bunches type major! So FYI...I've avoided Chicago all summer, but I know some people who have missed multiple innings of Cubs games due to the construction, and this is in Indiana, not the "Chicagoland" area.

Yeah he's right. I went to Chicago twice this summer and both times the traffic was AWFUL at that construction on 65. The 2nd time, it added a full hour onto my trip time. I recommend taking 74 all the way into Illinois, and going north on 57.

As for the park... It's incredibly expensive. Parking is $15/car, and the food is outrageous (expected amusement park prices).

Rides to hit:

Viper. A really great woodie in my opinion.

Raging Bull: So you can see what it's like to be bored on a hyper coaster.

Condor! It's one of my favorite flats. Imagine Shake, Rattle, & Roll without the tilting arms, but raise it about 80 feet.

Demon: A nice Arrow looper.

Vertical Velocity (V^2): Very fun shuttle coaster.

Iron Wolf: There are some rides that are notorious for the pain, but for some reason I love them. This is one.

Batman: What can I say, just a great inverted coaster with a ton of speed.

65 is bad depending on what time you go through. This Sunday I took the recomended alternate route of IN114 to US41 north. By tomtom it only took 15 minutes longer than usual.

Another recommendation is to not bring bags or backpacks with you. On the major rides you must rent a locker to store them for $1 a pop. A fanny pack is the largest they will allow on the rides.

I would also like to add the ragin cajun. It is a fun spinning coaster.

Thank you to everyone in this thread for the warning about the construction. You have no idea how greatly appreciated it is. :) dare-to-fly and I will be staunchly avoiding that area of 65 on our trip there this weekend!

I'm going to TRY to remember to shoot some videos so you guys can have a VTR of our epic coaster tour of awesomeness.

Yeah he's right. I went to Chicago twice this summer and both times the traffic was AWFUL at that construction on 65. The 2nd time, it added a full hour onto my trip time. I recommend taking 74 all the way into Illinois, and going north on 57.

As for the park... It's incredibly expensive. Parking is $15/car, and the food is outrageous (expected amusement park prices).

Rides to hit:

Viper. A really great woodie in my opinion.

Raging Bull: So you can see what it's like to be bored on a hyper coaster.

Condor! It's one of my favorite flats. Imagine Shake, Rattle, & Roll without the tilting arms, but raise it about 80 feet.

Demon: A nice Arrow looper.

Vertical Velocity (V^2): Very fun shuttle coaster.

Iron Wolf: There are some rides that are notorious for the pain, but for some reason I love them. This is one.

Batman: What can I say, just a great inverted coaster with a ton of speed.

65 is bad depending on what time you go through. This Sunday I took the recomended alternate route of IN114 to US41 north. By tomtom it only took 15 minutes longer than usual.

Another recommendation is to not bring bags or backpacks with you. On the major rides you must rent a locker to store them for $1 a pop. A fanny pack is the largest they will allow on the rides.

I would also like to add the ragin cajun. It is a fun spinning coaster.

ok thanks to both of you guys. Im not sure which one we are going to take, but we are going to map them out and see which one is the best for us. :) thanks again!

Matt, if your going on a weekend, consider spending the $$$ for a Gold Flash Pass. The Sunday that we went was so crowded that I am sure we would not have gotten all the coaster credits in without it. Be aware if you do go for the FP or GFP, that Ragin' Cagun & American Eagle don't have a FP line. Also that AE and Iron Wolf don't open till 11:00.

If you opt to not get a FP, then get to the parking lot 45 minutes before the park opens. As soon as you get in head to Superman and work that side of the park first.

ok haha thanks for the tip. but, i should say why im going, which will put me at the park way before it opens. My sister is into theater and singing. That weekend, they are hosting an audition for a very very big competition, and they are only taking the first 400 people who get there. Therefore, I will be there veeery early. :). I will think about the flash pass though.