Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle

Coney Islander

As many of us know, Scooby Doo will be reaching it's eighth year of operation next season. The actual ride in the building has changed, on average, every nine years-

Enchanted Voyage (1972–1982)

Smurf's Enchanted Voyage (1984–1991)

Phantom Theater (1992–2002)

Scooby-Doo and the Haunted Castle (2003-Present)

1. How much longer do you think Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle will last?

2. What new type of ride would you like to replace it?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TombraiderTy

Just to toss it out there, Scooby-Doo merchandise is on sale. This may have nothing to do with how much longer Scooby-Doo and the Haunted Castle will be there, however. Also take note that the Scooby-Doo contract is separate from the Hanna-Barbera one.

Just to toss it out there, Scooby-Doo merchandise is on sale. This may have nothing to do with how much longer Scooby-Doo and the Haunted Castle will be there, however. Also take note that the Scooby-Doo contract is separate from the Hanna-Barbera one.

That's the reason why I started this thread, and with all of the other stuff on sale, who knows?

Next year we could see Charlie Brown's Enchanted Voyage.

No...Cedar Fair uses the Snoopy characters under license from UFS. That license covers the parks it covers, which is not believed to include the former Paramount Parks. Licensing for shows varies from licensing for rides which also varies from licensing for in park appearances. This is a complicated area.

From the bottom of Cedar Point's website, for example:

PEANUTS © UFS, Inc.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/

That's the reason why I started this thread, and with all of the other stuff on sale, who knows?

Next year we could see Charlie Brown's Enchanted Voyage.

I surely could go for scenes where I get to hear the teacher speak. WAH-WAH-WA-WAH-WAH-WA-WAH!!

I think everyone should pray hard that CF doesn't decide to remove "Scooby"... if they do, say goodbye to any dark ride at KI.

CF has a long, bad, and notorious history of removing dark rides left and right from the parks they own/aquire only to replace them with.... nothing.

For those still lamenting the loss of Phantom Theater... while I agree it was a terrific dark ride which I very much enjoyed... the thing was falling apart and needed to be yanked. Dissapointed as I was with the 2-dimensional Scooby, in the final years only about 1/3 of Phantom Theatre's effects still worked. What you saw just before it closed didn't compare to how it looked it's opening year.

Shaggy

I think everyone should pray hard that CF doesn't decide to remove "Scooby"... if they do, say goodbye to any dark ride at KI.

CF has a long, bad, and notorious history of removing dark rides left and right from the parks they own/aquire only to replace them with.... nothing....

That they do. Pirate, anyone? What about Dorney? Just to begin. . .

No...Cedar Fair uses the Snoopy characters under license from UFS. That license covers the parks it covers, which is not believed to include the former Paramount Parks. Licensing for shows varies from licensing for rides which also varies from licensing for in park appearances. This is a complicated area.

From the bottom of Cedar Point's website, for example:

PEANUTS © UFS, Inc.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/

Keep in mind, also, that SDatHC is licensed seperately from everything else, the license goes through Sally Rides. FWIW, the initial contract when the ride was installed was a 10 year license that must be renewed to continue the ride's operation. We'll see how that plays out.

CF has a long, bad, and notorious history of removing dark rides left and right from the parks they own/aquire only to replace them with.... nothing....

That they do. Pirate, anyone? What about Dorney? Just to begin. . .

Kingdom of the Dinosaurs

Knott's Berry Tales

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Earthquake...

man, Cedar Fair is in for a big backlash if they were to not have that operating next year. That ride had so much hype when it came out, it was on every Kings Island sign within 30 miles. so many families ride that ride together, it has a quick line but still fills its ques. It does however need some upkeep, the guns seem to be hit and miss. two of the three guns when i rode today had no sound and you could barely get 30 points if you tried ever so hard. That has happened on multiple occassions now...

^I agree on the guns. However, my dad and I rode Scooby and the Haunted Mansion (not Castle), and the guns were much more reactive. I got 1410. Plus, I like the layout more. Instead of the carriages, it's somewhat similar to a wild mouse car, two rows of two. Also, there are a few instances where you hit doors and the seem to open on impact. Not to mention the great theming in the outdoor queue.

Overall, I like theirs much more.

I say bring back the enchanted voyage! make it a boat ride again!

Ditto. Enchanted Voyage was about as perfect as a ride could be for the entire family with a wonderful, snappy song. To this day, I still don't understand why KI ever removed it.

i think scooby doo is fun...lol i used to play the one like it in disney....i thought its contract was up too but who knows.....my mom swears they are trying to bring back stuff from like the old days but with ceder fair i dowbt it...also older stuff isnt as cool lol but i remeber the haunted thingy from before i was always so scared of it....and when the furnice would open my mom would complain about being roasted XD ah good times

tho i wouldent say no to themes from books but not twlight, (tho shooting sparkly vamps would be cool XD)

(all i wanted was a harry potter ride XD!)

I would go on a KI trip with my aunt and uncle almost every year, and my uncle would have to drag me on what was then The Beastie. I can't remember what "Little Bill's Giggle Coaster" was called at the time (early to mid 1990s) - I was fine with that one, though ;)

well, as the 75% off signs would indicate- Nick Universe is going to go through a self-destructive period after the last "boo" is yelled at the Haunt. It would make sense that if you are going to retheme an area, to punch forward on all of it. I wonder if the name "The Beastie" will be coming back......... or maybe the Son of Beast name will be saved, yet "neutered" and moved to retheme the Fairly Odd Coaster.

it will be interesting to see what happens in that area over the off-season. I have spent a great deal of my season passes there over the last three years. and as much as I really don't care for many of the Nick characters I will miss it.

I would go on a KI trip with my aunt and uncle almost every year, and my uncle would have to drag me on what was then The Beastie. I can't remember what "Little Bill's Giggle Coaster" was called at the time (early to mid 1990s) - I was fine with that one, though ;)

lol i remeber that too...and wasnt it top cats taxi jam? i would go over and over driving my mom crazy XD!

^I agree on the guns. However, my dad and I rode Scooby and the Haunted Mansion (not Castle), and the guns were much more reactive. I got 1410. Plus, I like the layout more. Instead of the carriages, it's somewhat similar to a wild mouse car, two rows of two. Also, there are a few instances where you hit doors and the seem to open on impact. Not to mention the great theming in the outdoor queue.

Did you ride it at Wonderland, Carowinds or Kings Dominion?

Wonderlands was the first and has a capacity of about 23 people per hour.

Carowinds was built in an old park theatre in the "Western" area of the park??? It's got a capacity of about 50 per hour.

Kings Dominions was the last of the bunch to be built, and from what I understand get's a great capacity.

KI's used the existing People Mover from Phantom Theater because of it's large capacity. However every other car was removed.

I say bring back the enchanted voyage! make it a boat ride again!

Ditto. Enchanted Voyage was about as perfect as a ride could be for the entire family with a wonderful, snappy song. To this day, I still don't understand why KI ever removed it.

They removed it because it was falling apart. The animatronics were virtually worn out, half the figures had stopped working and overall the scenes were filthy.

It was called Scooby Zoom I believe. There have been over 6 KI attractions themed with Scooby and the gang through the years. Can you name them all?

Did you ride it at Wonderland, Carowinds or Kings Dominion?

Wonderlands was the first and has a capacity of about 23 people per hour.

Carowinds was built in an old park theatre in the "Western" area of the park??? It's got a capacity of about 50 per hour.

Kings Dominions was the last of the bunch to be built, and from what I understand get's a great capacity.

KI's used the existing People Mover from Phantom Theater because of it's large capacity. However every other car was removed.

We rode it at KD. I found the capacity to be about the same as ours. The only thing was that the queue was outdoor for the most part.