Kings Island's History Is Relived in "Riding History to the Limits"!

Gary Wachs mentioned an alternate site for the park off of 275 in Clermont County.Does anyone have any idea where this was?Eastgate?Milford perhaps?It's interesting to think what if it was built there instead.That would have been close to Old Coney than what is now Mason.It would have been maybe slightly closer to where I live.Obviously it would not be called Kings Island and some of the rides would be different because of the topography(The Beast for example).

To be honest, talking with many of the people involved at the time, I would doubt that any would know the exact location of any of the other sites. There were quite a few alternate sites, none with as much usable land or accessibility. (275 was not complete as was 71, but there was more traffic on 71 than 275) Also the area at the time was very depressed, the powder mill was going through drastic changes, and retirees could make more money from selling the property than working it. The Kings area was a no brainer from the start, so other areas were let to spoil on back burners.

What a fun ride!

CET's Nate Byrum takes viewers on a nostalgic trip through Kings Island history with a new nine-part documentary available now on the station's Web site, http://www.CETconnect.org.

"Riding History to the Limits," believed to be the first film about the park's history, takes you back to Hanna-Barbera Land, the Enchanted Voyage, Antique Cars, Sky Ride, Animal Safari monorail and the visit by TV's "Brady Bunch" in 1973.

Byrum, 33, a season pass holder from Mason and 11-year CET employee, started assembling old film and photographs last year to show how the park has changed since its opening in 1972, before the invasion of Smurfs, SpongeBob SquarePants and, next year, Snoopy.

His video tour guides are former manager Gary Wachs, who was inducted into the Kings Island Hall of Fame Saturday, and assistant manager Dennis Spiegel. Byrum also collected comments from Carmen Electra, who worked at the park as a teenager, and "Brady Bunch" stars Barry Williams and Michael Lookinland....

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009091...e+vintage+years

I hope this actually makes it to dvd. 10 years ago I was trying to track down a video CET aired covering the history of Coney Island. The documentary was filmed sometime in the late 70's early 80's and has never surfaced from CET; or anywhere else for that matter. I asked the VP of Coney Island how I could get ahold of the film and, to my surprise, he had actually attempted tracking one down for himself. I called CET sometime around 2000 and learned that the film was no longer available. About a year later I located the films distributor outside of Ontario, Canada where, once again, I learned that it was no longer available. The film "Greetings from Coney Island" is the only one of the two documentaries that I have been able to locate to date. I hope the KI video will suffer the same fate.

• 1 year later...

QUOTE (TheCryptRaider @ Sep 18 2009, 07:15 PM) I love this! For the longest time, I was trying to watch it, but just today, it finally worked! Thanks for posting!

Now I have the enchanted voyage song stuck in my head!

I can't express my joy enough! I love this!

lmao ....good song tho tongue.gif

Just found this today! What a great show!

• 1 month later...

Man, this is such a bittersweet documentary for me. First off, it's wonderfully made and put together...great interviews and terrific historical footage to go along with it. My only problem is...

...I wasn't there in the early days sad.gif. EXTREMELY ENVIOUS of those who were. Not only that, but I wish I could have been a part of the original design and building team of the park. Think how exciting it probably was (and nerve-wracking of course) to finish the last touches on the park hours before it's revealed to the masses on opening day.

Indeed, but realize chances are excellent you will still be experiencing the park long after many of us old-timers have gone on to our reward...or sitting in the rockers on the porch at Cracker Barrell talking about the young whipper-snappers riding the latest thrill machines that we will by then no longer be able to!

• 2 months later...

It would be interesting to see what the founders, think of todays park, and are any of their visions still there?!

At the end of Riding History to the Limits, Gary Wachs mentioned that he had recently taken a tour of the park (probably when he was inducted into the KI walk of fame). He said that he couldn't believe how much the park has grown, and what the cost would be to build the park as-is today. He mentioned that he still thinks Kings Island is the greatest seasonal theme park in the county, and his only concern is the current "commercialization" of items within the park.

his only concern is the current "commercialization" of items within the park.

I found this to be an odd statement when I watched it. If you look at the park brochures from the opening year(s), nearly everything in the park was either an outside company doing business, or sponsoring ("presented by...") a park attraction.

Ok, I just rewatched and love that series. Who were Walter and Nancy Duff? I hear they hung out with Woody Harlson (who also attend Hanover College in Indanawith my sister).

I am just trying to remember their claim to fame besides being park employees. And how were they picked for the video?