Nick-U becomes Planet Snoopy in 2010?

BeastinNight

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Change isn't always bad.

I believe that if they don't move or remove any rides within Nick U, and do the theming right (and I trust that they will),

This is Cedar Fair we're talking about. Please see Disaster Transport, Crypt and Backlot Stunt Coaster.

the Golden Ticket Award will continue on. I personally can't wait to see the changes.

We trusted them with Diamondback and Rivertown. Why can't we have faith in them to retheme our kids area of the park?

These are harsh economic times for a company that still has a large sum of debt. If you read the quarterly reports last year Kinzel mentioned how Kings Island with Diamondback received quite a large sum of the company's capital budget expenditures, wonderland the year before. I'd imagine a lot of budget will be going to the intimidator coasters and with multiple parks getting Planet Snoopy I'd wager that a cheap re-theme is coming if in fact Kings Island does get it. Not that it would be bad, it could end up good. Just not setting my hopes high.

Change isn't always bad.

I believe that if they don't move or remove any rides within Nick U, and do the theming right (and I trust that they will),

This is Cedar Fair we're talking about. Please see Disaster Transport, Crypt and Backlot Stunt Coaster.

the Golden Ticket Award will continue on. I personally can't wait to see the changes.

We trusted them with Diamondback and Rivertown. Why can't we have faith in them to retheme our kids area of the park?

These are harsh economic times for a company that still has a large sum of debt. If you read the quarterly reports last year Kinzel mentioned how Kings Island with Diamondback received quite a large sum of the company's capital budget expenditures, wonderland the year before. I'd imagine a lot of budget will be going to the intimidator coasters and with multiple parks getting Planet Snoopy I'd wager that a cheap re-theme is coming if in fact Kings Island does get it. Not that it would be bad, it could end up good. Just not setting my hopes high.

i will have to agree, there wont be alot of time in off season to re theme 18 rides plus weather permiting , also dealing with the SOB issue

I clicked the link from Screamscape this morning and it went to the announcement on Kings Island's website. Now it just goes to the Events page. I'd assume this is all legit, but KI is reluctant to get it all out there or something.

Anyway, I'm conflicted on it. I told a girl who works with me about this today and she has 2 kids. She said that her kids have no idea who Snoopy or the Peanuts are. But then; I agree, a kid will run and hug any over-sized costumed cartoon character no matter who it is. My problem with the Peanuts is that they're not really relevant anymore. They're mainly known to kids now by old specials and a re-run of comics in the news paper. They don't really do much new content except for merchandise and MetLife commercials.

I really hope that if this happens, it isn't some cheap tack-on theming. It seems like it will be a really daunting task to re-theme all of the excellent Nick-themed rides. But then, I was surprised by how they transformed from HB; so who knows.

I clicked the link from Screamscape this morning and it went to the announcement on Kings Island's website. Now it just goes to the Events page. I'd assume this is all legit, but KI is reluctant to get it all out there or something.

Anyway, I'm conflicted on it. I told a girl who works with me about this today and she has 2 kids. She said that her kids have no idea who Snoopy or the Peanuts are. But then; I agree, a kid will run and hug any over-sized costumed cartoon character no matter who it is. My problem with the Peanuts is that they're not really relevant anymore. They're mainly known to kids now by old specials and a re-run of comics in the news paper. They don't really do much new content except for merchandise and MetLife commercials.

I really hope that if this happens, it isn't some cheap tack-on theming. It seems like it will be a really daunting task to re-theme all of the excellent Nick-themed rides. But then, I was surprised by how they transformed from HB; so who knows.

yea they pulled the link, since it started floating around prematurely

Besides the fact that The Peanuts are hopelessly out of date the thing that REALLY bothers me about them coming to the park is that it ruins one of my favorite souvenirs that I always enjoy getting…photos of my family & friends with the characters…they are my favorite photos by far. If you would visit my family member’s homes you would see countless photos on the walls throughout the history of the park with everyone from Captain Caveman, Hong Kong Phooey, George Jetson, Scooby and of course Spongebob & Patrick. I find that you get the best shots when someone is with a character…adults become kids again and there is no matching the thrill a kid gets when he sees someone he loves watching on TV…they do not yell “Look it’s someone in a Spongebob outfit” they yell “LOOK! It’s Spongebob!” . I will miss these moments SO much.

We are an old school family…I was raised on watching all of the Peanuts specials once a year…and own most of them on DVD. I have TRIED to keep up the tradition with my Nephews…but they do not seem interested…they will set through them with me once a year…but it is more out of a kindness to me…they don’t seem to be interested in them.

With that said…I have seen photos of the Peanuts at Cedar Point before…and that is why I have been scared…except for Snoopy, can anyone really say that the kids look good? They LOOK like costumes…and bad ones at that. To paraphrase Captain Quint from “Jaws”…”they’ve got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When they comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'.

peanuts.jpg

(This is not my photo…I got it from the internet.)

This is the saddest Kings Island news I can ever remember…it is like a double whammy…not only do we lose something really great (Nickelodeon and possibly Scooby), we have it replaced with something that is laughably out-of-date…although I am not laughing. :(

LOL, an official announcment hasn't even been made about it yet, but it's already getting tiring.

Yes, kids will flock to any character walking in the park.

No, Snoopy has no relevance whatsoever to kids.

This is a money move, plain and simple. It has nothing to do with making Kings Island a better park.

Everyone that keeps saying it doesn't matter, get over it, it's not a big deal, you are wrong.

to those of us with children, it is a very big deal.

Associate it like this. Use your imagination.

Cedar Fair announces that due to age, and cost of upkeep, the park has decided to tear down Millineum Force, and replace it with a B&M Hyper. It will have 10 drops, and a splashdown ending. We are going to call this new ride Diamond Back.

Everyone gets upset about it, but then you have a few come on here and say. Why are you so upset? B&M makes great coasters. MF was a cool coaster, but it ran it's course. It's easier for CF to maintain these rides if they are all the same through all of their parks.

Now, I know, thats a bit extreme. Point is, to those of us with children, taking away a great themed area, and then replacing it with a half-@$$ed version of one that is going to be in every other CF park is terrible. Make no mistake, it will be a half @$$ed version. With SoB not running, The Crypt on it's last legs, and 2 major coaster projects in other parks, how much money do you think is going to be leftover to retheme 3 parks in to camp Snoopy? Or how ever many parks it is.

Now, I understand that a lot of people on here are young, and are mainly at the parks for the thrill rides. If that is case, just say that the kids area is really of no concern to you. Don't say that it doesn't matter, it matters a great big bunch!

Smurf, I got to thinking about this rant while reading your post, thats why I quoted it.

No way, shape, or form is my bi%^$ing directed at you :)

To paraphrase Captain Quint from “Jaws”…”they’ve got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When they comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'.

'....until they bite you, then them black eyes roll over white. Aaaaah, then comes the horrible high pitched screamin'."

Wow...I'm freaking scared to go to KI now. Thanks! LOL!

I do not have kids but I will have kids in the near future (3-5 yrs) so hopefully by then the park is rethemed again. Look we all were up in arms when the switch came from HB to Nick, and we are all up in arms again. The only difference is that the first switch was taking characters we grew up with, both in the park and on tv, and replaced them with what kids were watching at the time. If you watched the documentary from CET Mr. Helbig mentioned that the kiddie area got re themed because its what the kids wanted. I am not saying keep the Nick Universe if it too expensive but the could have at least tried as a park to get something relevant to children. Ok the Flintstones are not relevant but their cartoons still make way on Cartoon Netowrk along with Scooby and the Gang. To be truthful when was the last time anyone has seen a Charlie Brown cartoon on tv, that was not a holiday cartoon? I agree we shouldnt be too worried until they make an announcement, but at the same time we do have a right to be upset. Children under the age of 14 still love Spongebob, Dora, and Scooby.

On a positive note, does this mean we may be getting a new movie in action theater?

Now, I understand that a lot of people on here are young, and are mainly at the parks for the thrill rides. If that is case, just say that the kids area is really of no concern to you. Don't say that it doesn't matter, it matters a great big bunch!

Well said. At one point, when we didn't have any little one's in our family (a span of about 3 years) I didn't even know the kids area existed...but for at least the next 3-4 years the kids area is very important to our family.

I do not think anyone is saying it is hard to teach your kids to change, but if you have ever been around young children on a constant basis, I have nieces and nephews in the 3-9 year old range, that kids have certain shows. Now of course kids will still want to ride the rides and will get pictures, but to be truthful kids dont know who the characters are. Children will have a hard time recognizing these characters, and that has nothing to do with parents not teaching the kids.

Tom Katt and Stand By Me, thanks for being the voice of reason.

So are the parents on here pretty much saying that it is impossible to teach their children how to adapt to change? I don't understand.

facepalm2ly3.jpg

So are the parents on here pretty much saying that it is impossible to teach their children how to adapt to change?

It's not so much teaching kids to adapt, it's wondering if their kids will like it and want to go. Kids don't have to be taught to accept this type of change. If they don't like it, they can just not go, which will hurt KI.

It's like if they had a part of the park called Candy Universe where all the kids got to hug chocolate bars and slide down Popsicle slides and they got free pieces of candy. Then they decided to turn it into Vegetable Planet and they got carrot sticks and rode on lettuce leaves. A lot of kids would be turned off by it and not be as excited to go back.

I'm not saying that's what's going to happen, but it's not really about teaching kids to adapt to change as letting them make their own minds up about what they like. I just wonder if there will be a lot of disappointed kids next year when they see everything has changed. But then, maybe it'll rock; who knows?

Bring it on 2010 Planet Snoopy,

some of our favorite shows and pictures witth the characters, are with snoopy and gang!!!!

Maybe avatar will be the woodstock air raid????

The peanuts are timeless,,

Would the announcement been better for say the return of hanna barbera???

Change is always effecting us!! it will be good:

And some of the best of memories will be around the penuts!!!!

now for the scooby building i would and wish they would gut it return it to the boats and the whole building would be awseome as the land of the peanuts!!!!!

but whatever they do i will be happy, with the results!!!

I mean it is what it is. we can argue this topic all day, is it really somthing we can change? either we take our kids or we dont. i have 2 kids that have NO idea who snoopy is, but when i showed them the other parks that have snoopy thier first statment was " oh daddy, will you take us there"

So are the parents on here pretty much saying that it is impossible to teach their children how to adapt to change? I don't understand.

No, we are saying they don't want to.

the same way you would not want to accept one of your favorite areas of a park to be gutted, and replaced with something lame.

[

It's like if they had a part of the park called Candy Universe where all the kids got to hug chocolate bars and slide down Popsicle slides and they got free pieces of candy. Then they decided to turn it into Vegetable Planet and they got carrot sticks and rode on lettuce leaves. A lot of kids would be turned off by it and not be as excited to go back.

Well that sort of change be better in the long run as the children will be healthier.... but kidding aside this seems to be nothing more than a money issue and no thought on what kind of affect it will have on kids... I am currently looking for a ratings distribution of viewers for each cartoon and I will then be able to show what sort of kids watch what cartoons and what would be a viable option for the kiddie land (I know my work will not change how the park operate but I have today off and nothing else to do:))

the same way you would not want to accept one of your favorite areas of a park to be gutted, and replaced with something lame.

How do some people know right now that it will be lame? That is all I am wondering. I'm just trying to stay positive and have faith in the park, as we all should.

So are the parents on here pretty much saying that it is impossible to teach their children how to adapt to change?

I also am not going to "force" my Nephews to like something just because the park that we love so much is trying to save money...now I know that Nik's new asking price may have been way out of Cedar Fair's budget...but you would think that they could add a dollar or so to the admission cost in order to keep them if they TRULY wanted too. (Or use all of the money that they are saving on the lack of front-gate security.)

It's like if they had a part of the park called Candy Universe where all the kids got to hug chocolate bars and slide down Popsicle slides and they got free pieces of candy. Then they decided to turn it into Vegetable Planet and they got carrot sticks and rode on lettuce leaves.

I picture the execs at Cedar Fair after reading this thinking “Why didn’t WE think of this!”.

How do some people know right now that it will be lame? That is all I am wondering.

The thing is, CF could make it look GREAT…but it is still based on a dated cartoon so it is a no win situation in my opinion.

So I could not find an exact break down of tv shows based on the criteria of cartoons but I did find this, which is the ratings of the top 20 tv shows on cable this past week. If you scroll down the highest ranked cartoon is Spongebob. Along with my mini-research there are no current Peanuts cartoon in active rotation on any network for the past year (hence no Peanuts/Charlie Brown tv ratings) except for the once a year Christmas/Halloween themed Charlies Brown shows. Not surprisingly, for viewers of all ages Disney pulled in the most "youth targeted audiences" while Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network surged in different areas targeting specific kids during different day parts.

What does this all mean, there is no current cartoon out there that has anything to do with Charlie Brown that young children could recognize. It may have something to do with the creator of Peanuts, Charles Schultz, is dead and no current animation team has worked out a weekly tv show to air.

I had to edit a part where I wrote Charlie Brown shoes and not shows

So I could not find an exact break down of tv shows based on the criteria of cartoons but I did find this, which is the ratings of the top 20 tv shows on cable this past week. If you scroll down the highest ranked cartoon is Spongebob. Along with my mini-research there are no current Peanuts cartoon in active rotation on any network for the past year (hence no Peanuts/Charlie Brown tv ratings) except for the once a year Christmas/Halloween themed Charlies Brown shows. Not surprisingly, for viewers of all ages Disney pulled in the most "youth targeted audiences" while Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network surged in different areas targeting specific kids during different day parts.

What does this all mean, there is no current cartoon out there that has anything to do with Charlie Brown that young children could recognize. It may have something to do with the creator of Peanuts, Charles Schultz, is dead and no current animation team has worked out a weekly tv show to air.

I had to edit a part where I wrote Charlie Brown shoes and not shows

Honestly, I am surprised that Disney is ahead of Nick.

I would have thought they'd be 3rd.

I think that ever since Disney shows are available on some basic tv channels now, ABC kids, along with some moderately priced middle of the road cable packages parents feel it is safe to leave their kids with Disney on in the background. Disney as a station has Hannah Montana along with the Suite Life of Zach and Cody....

How do some people know right now that it will be lame? That is all I am wondering. I'm just trying to stay positive and have faith in the park, as we all should.

I say lame because, well, it is.

Nickelodeon is the best kids thing going right now. The only argument would be the BIG guys down in Florida, or California.

By comparison to Nickelodeon, everything else is lame.

Hey kids, it's December 25th, sorry, Santa needed too much money, so the Easter Bunny is gonna swing by, and give you some eggs instead.

Now, maybe lame was a poor choice of words. The Easter Bunny is not lame, but he's no Santa either.

I think that ever since Disney shows are available on some basic tv channels now, ABC kids, along with some moderately priced middle of the road cable packages parents feel it is safe to leave their kids with Disney on in the background. Disney as a station has Hannah Montana along with the Suite Life of Zach and Cody....

Maybe thats why I haven't noticed. My kid still watches cartoons.

Although, we do watch iCarly too.