Nick-U becomes Planet Snoopy in 2010?

BeastinNight

Tomkatt7,

I am loving both the passion and the way you are conveying your thoughts on this topic.

Hey kids, it's December 25th, sorry, Santa needed too much money, so the Easter Bunny is gonna swing by, and give you some eggs instead.

Now, maybe lame was a poor choice of words. The Easter Bunny is not lame, but he's no Santa either.

I do think you are giving CF too much credit here though...I would settle for someone of The Easter Bunny's caliber...I think Snoopy is more along the lines of getting a quarter under your pillow on Christmas from The Tooth Fairy.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Nick/Cartoon Network still have a good cartoon stable going on, where The House the Mouse Built has gone more live action shows(Wizards of Waverly Place, Thats so Raven, Hannah Montanna)...... cheaper than animators and voice actors? Nick still has the best stable of cartoons (Spongebob, Penguins, Fairly Odd Parents, Dora Etc) while Cartoon Network is home to many cartoons of days gone by and new today (Kids next Door, Batman, Dexter, Johnny Bravo, Scooby Doo, Etc)

its official I have found a use for my Digital Media Convergence degree, I am talking cartoon tv shows on a blog for an amusement park.... makes college seem worth it :)

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I grew up during the 80s and I have never liked the Peanuts whatsoever - not then, and not now. I realize there are financial reasons to go with Snoopy, but I just can't envision modern-day kids getting excited about seeing a communication-deficient cartoon dog or Linus with his blankie. My son is 8 now and probably won't care one way or the other, and I don't think this move will have a profound impact one way or another - but this definitely marks the end of another era. Of course I enjoy watching SpongeBob episodes so I am admittedley biased :rolleyes:

Tomkatt7,

I am loving both the passion and the way you are conveying it on this topic.

Hey kids, it's December 25th, sorry, Santa needed too much money, so the Easter Bunny is gonna swing by, and give you some eggs instead.

Now, maybe lame was a poor choice of words. The Easter Bunny is not lame, but he's no Santa either.

I do think you are giving CF too much credit here though...I would settle for someone of The Easter Bunny's caliber...I think Snoopy is more along the lines of getting a quarter under your pillow on Christmas from The Tooth Fairy.

Thanks for say that, I am very passionate on this subject.

Every other topic, I would be right behind Giga, saying "Wait, give it a chance"

On this one though, I'm sorry, can't do it.

I showed that page that circulated yesterday to my daughter. I told her that SpongeBob was moving out of Kings Island.

Her FIRST response was, "Can we go see him at his new house"?

It wasn't anything about, well who is that on there now? Who is moving to KI? What are their names?

She didn't care.

I am trying to carefully convey my disappointment, I am not going off on a whim and claiming I WILL NEVER VISIT ANOTHER Cedar Fair PARK AS LONG AS I LIVE!!

That is not the case. We will still go to KI. We will have a good time. I will admit, my thoughts the last couple of days have been thought of worry. I saw what happened to the place up on the Lake a few years ago. I blamed Six Flags for that. I said that will never happen here. This year we have seen the Crypt go limp with no effort to make it better. SoB shut down for the season with no effort to fix it. Now the best kids area in the nation being stripped of it's licensing. Sound Familiar?

I still don't see KI suffering the same fate as GL, it's laughable to think it....Isn't it? Hahaha.......

But still. If I start to see something like Runaway reptar being moved to Kings Dominion because we have 4 coasters in kids land, and they only have 1, then I am really going to start to worry.

In my mind, it's already been a long year away from celebrating the biggest coaster in KI history.

Or am I supposed to just think of that, and ignore all the negative stuff that is happening all around it?

I saw what happened to the place up on the Lake a few years ago. I blamed Six Flags for that. I said that will never happen here. This year we have seen the Crypt go limp with no effort to make it better. SoB shut down for the season with no effort to fix it. Now the best kids area in the nation being stripped of it's licensing. Sound Familiar?

I still don't see KI suffering the same fate as GL, it's laughable to think it....Isn't it? Hahaha.......

It takes a lot to put a twist in my stomach, but that did it. :(

I saw what happened to the place up on the Lake a few years ago. I blamed Six Flags for that. I said that will never happen here. This year we have seen the Crypt go limp with no effort to make it better. SoB shut down for the season with no effort to fix it. Now the best kids area in the nation being stripped of it's licensing. Sound Familiar?

Sorry, I just want to make it clear that I have strong feelings on this topic, and I'm not just trying to start a fight.

I have a high opinion of you, and I love the stories that you share.

I just don't want you getting worked up at me, because we may have different opinions on this one.

:)

I agree with the people who are worried that the kids may not like it, nor will they relate to it as much as Nick U. My nephew who is 4 loves Spongebob, Dora, and pretty much every character over there. But I am sure he will adapt as long as some of his favorite rides are still there.

I love how colorful the area is currently, so hopefully it doesn't lose its luster there.

I agree with the people who are worried that the kids may not like it, nor will they relate to it as much as Nick U. My nephew who is 4 loves Spongebob, Dora, and pretty much every character over there. But I am sure he will adapt as long as some of his favorite rides are still there.

I love how colorful the area is currently, so hopefully it doesn't lose its luster there.

That is true. If things change, I hope they keep the fountain that currently has Spongebob on top of it.

They can throw another character up there. It is a wonderful spot for a picture.

Another thing they could do, is put one of Lucy's many 5.....see, thats how outdated this stuff is. I can't even find a (cents) button on my keyboard.

Anyways, I was thinking a five cents stand over where the Mystery Machine photo spot is now. the kids can sit behind the stand, and take a picture.

Its just going to be a bigger version of Camp Snoopy at Cedar Point. Its ashame though, no more Spongebob in the FX Action Theater. Many kids today do not care or even know about Snoopy and Charlie Brown.

Tomkatt7 That is not the case. We will still go to KI. We will have a good time. I will admit, my thoughts the last couple of days have been thought of worry. I saw what happened to the place up on the Lake a few years ago. I blamed Six Flags for that. I said that will never happen here. This year we have seen the Crypt go limp with no effort to make it better. SoB shut down for the season with no effort to fix it. Now the best kids area in the nation being stripped of it's licensing. Sound Familiar?

I do not blame Six Flags for what happened at GL, Cedar Fair knew exactly what they were doing when they bought the place in 2004. If they were going to keep it open they needed to give it one more year. I was there closing weekend in 2007 and they place was really busy, people were starting to come around again. Cedar Fair is no better than Six Flags right now. I wish I lived closer to a Six Flags because apparently guest satisfaction is at an all time high for those parks.

Sorry, I just want to make it clear that I have strong feelings on this topic, and I'm not just trying to start a fight.

I have a high opinion of you, and I love the stories that you share.

I just don't want you getting worked up at me, because we may have different opinions on this one.

:)

I'm not worked up at you. I have a tendency to shoot first and ask questions later.. it's quite possibly my biggest fault. :(

I read what you posted and I thought to myself, "Yikes!" I know you aren't trying to start anything.. you're all right.

I doubt we will see what happend at GL happen to KI. Too many issues about the crypt to even begin to explain why or what happened there, from what I have gathered (opinion) the weaker version is to keep operating costs down, and its inside a big building so its not like the one at KD (meaning they did not have to keep the special effects for people to look at while walking by, fountains fire etc, everyone walking by our Crypt goes "hey its a big building"). The SOB going down hill fast is not CF's fault but a continuation of the rides many many issues from the start (not picking a fight). The changing of the guard in Hannah Barbara Land/Nick U/Camp Snoopy is to save money not destroy the park. yes it sucks as we have talked about kids will not know who the Peanuts gang is etc.

I would start worrying about GL type problems if The Beast broke down to never be fixed, FoF no longer operating. Rides that have had a history of "breaking down/being royal pains" doing what they do, injury=shut down for a while, not a huge concern. But then again maybe I have been drinking too much Kool-Aide

I hope the people planning this change are reading these responses and saying to each other, "Just wait until they see what we have planned. They'll be stunned."

I hope they're thinking that and I hope they're right.

^^^ good mindset :)

It'll still be KI one way or another. We just have to accept change.

No Scooby-Doo And The Haunted Castle in 2010!?!?! Grrrrr... angryfire.gif

First allow me to say this I love Snoopy always have but the thing is I love Scooby-Doo moreso what in the blue crap could they theme the Haunted Castle to? The Great Pumpkin? Snoopy vs The Red Baron? what would they theme the facade to Snoopy's doghouse? I'm not at all pleased to hear that Scooby-Doo may be leaving the park in fact I may not get a 2010 pass! Not because of scooby-doo may be leaving but do to my family see I always take my younger family members during the summer to KI they include my 2 nephews,2nieces,my 4 cousins and they love Scooby-Doo and the Nicktoons...To me Nickelodeon and Scooby-Doo are two major selling factors for me to buy 10 passes ... I'm gonna wait for the details before I get to p*ssed off.

FYI-Scooby-Doo is Celebrating his 40th Anniversary this year!

This truly brings a tear to my eye. No more Scooby, no more Spongebob, yes I said it, no more Spongebob, no more golden ticket awards. Even as an adult now, I still enjoy Nick U, the other day i spent almost a third of my day over there riding coasters and other rides. The park will not be the same now without Nickelodeon, to me it won't be Kings Island. I am calling a bad move on Cedar Fair's part, keep Nickelodeon, keep it, we all love it. Nobody can replace Scooby, and I do mean NO ONE. We love you Nick U!!! Can I get another tribute video to Nick U?

I honestly don't think that these changes will have much (if any) effect on the popularity of the kids' area, or its Golden Ticket status.

Almost anyone will agree that the most important part of a ride is the experience. This goes for kids as well as adults. When I worked in HB back in 2005, I noticed that the biggest factor for kids in determining whether or not they wanted to go on a ride was the experience. It didn't matter that most kids didn't know who Quick Draw or Baba Louie were. They knew that the ride was going to be fun, and that's all that mattered to them. This isn't likely to change anytime soon.

I wouldn't say I love Nick U. I loved HB and hated seeing it go, but I accepted that Nick U was the new thing kids liked.

I think that's what's most concerning about this move. HB was big back when KI was built. Then Nick was put in because it was big with the kids then. Peanuts is not big with the kids right now. It's like making a Betty Boop themed area. The kids would be like, "huh?"

But if they can make it look cool with lots of big characters and bright colors; the rides are going to be the same, so I don't see why the Golden Ticket award is already lost.

A lot of this discussion seems to focus on whether or not Peanuts are still relevant to kids because of their age. ( Close to 60 years old. ) Well Looney Tunes ( Bugs Bunny, Daffy Dug, Tweety, etc. ) have been around since the Great Depression when my parents were kids and my 11-year old nephews laugh their heads off at those cartoons. I also seem to recall some characters created by a man named Disney named Micky, Donald, Goofy and others who don't seem to have lost their popularity despite the fact that they have been around even longer than the Looney Tunes.

^But what has also been said is that unlike Disney & WB cartoons, The Peanuts do not have constant television exposure...THAT is a big difference.

Also, Disney has had those characters from the begining. The tradition of the park is with them.

Kings Island can't really say that they have a tradition. They change characters every 10 years or so.

Except for Scooby....well, up til now anyways.

Yeah my nephews and I always had to get a hug from Scooby-Doo when we visited Kings Island funny Scooby-Doo has been at Kings Island since the beginning it's gonna be hard for me to see him go *Sighs*

Ah D@mn it!! D@mn you Cedar Fair!{if proven true scooby-doo is leaving}

angry_homer_simpson.jpg

I also think your going to have some kids go, "Kings Island tomorrow!! Jimmy you've never been have you?" Jimmy-"No." Kid-"They have this one ride where you go in Scooby's castle and shoot aliens and monsters!" Jimmy-"Wow, can we ride it?" Kid-"Yeah, we will ride it a bunch." Then the next day, boom its not there anymore. This whole topic makes me want to weep.

If they change the area to Looney Tunes, Hannah Barbera, anything that is on tv constantly, I wouldn't have an issue with it. My kids would be familiar with the characters and enjoy being around them.

Truth of the matter is, Peanuts do not get airtime but 3 times a year. A night in October, a night in November and a night in December. Usually all on CBS. We do not get local channels, and haven't since 1998 or so, so my kids have never watched a single episode of Peanuts.

We went to Cedar Point a few years ago. We went to the Camp Snoopy area. My kids were frightened by Lucy, Charlie Brown and what's the blonde's name?? Anywho, they ran in the other direction.

Sorta like me back when KI had Klingons lol.......anyways...

I just hope it's something every kid will be somewhat familiar with.

1zv7pg7.jpg

I'm glad I took this picture. I've always liked it...it's as if Spongebob is saying "I'm king of the park!" ..or something ;)

Thats the issue Peanuts has not been on tv and is not familiar with kids..... Looney Toons and Disney Characters have been in the spotlight for their entire lifetimes. Play a wawawa sound to kid or even some teenagers and they have no idea what you are talking about. (In case no one gets my point make the sound the parents made in Peanuts...)

Second, if this is true, and it may well be, remember that VIACOM by all accounts wanted a Kings and Carowinds and Great America and a Wonderland ransom for a Nick renewal. Would you still be for that if it caused ticket prices to triple? I didn't think so...

So, I don't think this is something to blame CF for. They were forced into a difficult decision because continuing the contract was not financially feasable. I understand being upset at loosing a great thing (Nick U) but I don't think this is an issue to point fingers over. CF obviously cares for KI and wants a quality park. look at all the improvements they made around DB, instead of just putting in a coaster they revamped a considerable area.

I'm also not a CF fanboy so don't accuse me of defending them just for the sake of it.

Rail Rider (who has been very reliable for the year that I've been on this board) said that Scooby Isn't going anywhere because it is lecensed throught the manufacturer so that should ease some concerns.

Tomcat77: The Crypt seems to be just tearing itself apart so CF is probably making a wise decision to not dump resources into it.

Geaugua Lake had too much overhead (rides + infrastructure) to be financially feasable and it met it's fate.

It was previouos owner of KI that planned ride rotation. So would you trade Nick U theming for FOF?

As for SOB, I'm willing to bet they will do everything reasonable to keep it open. Repairing it could mean a complete overhaul and major expense into a ride with a shady history. I just don't think It's fair to say they are doing nothing for these rides implying that they are neglecting the park.

Absolutely nothing personal to anyone, just my opinion. I love kids (I'm an elementary school counselor) and am sad that they won't have a chance to visit Nick U any more. I just don't know that we should be angry at CF for the overhaul.

74gibson very well thought out post. Plus Scooby is a Hannah Barbara character, not owned by Nick, so it should be easy to keep him and I am betting he stays in the park for many many years to come, heck he is almost the KI mascot. I am not pointing fingers at CF so to say, but what I am saying is that they have a character who is not recognized by children everywhere. I understand its a money issue and they were put in a corner with what was happening.

Are the Warner Bro characters still important at the 6 flag parks? Again no one is pointing fingers, or at least Im not, at Ceder Fair saying they are trying to destroy the kids area, but over all it is a poor cartoon character to have an area themed towards.

I may be on my own on this thought but wasnt Peanuts always serious, and not light hearted. Every time I think of a peanuts cartoon or comic strip I always think life lesson, heavy thought provoking stuff with a lesson, never zany antics......

I think the whole argument is really silly, when I was a kid, I didn't even realize there was theming - it was all about rides to me, and if I could've had a choice between a new ride and a statue of a cartoon I watched, it would require no thought, I'd be going for the ride - that's what amusement parks are all about - quite frankly It wouldn't hurt my feelings to have no theming, just pretty landscape and spend that money on more rides, however I don't understand the fascination with this Nick stuff, to me it looks like nothing but a bunch of boring educational crap! leave that for school, leave fun for an amusement park, just my two cents and I'm sure you'll all disagree, but I'm tired of looking at Nick

Raptor back in your day tv was not as big as it is to today's youth. For those of us in our 20s tv just started taking over the lives of the children but now kids under the age of ten prefer tv characters versus fresh air, sad but true. In your day it was not about theming but now Kids want the Disney World Experience, that means characters, shops, and more characters.... sad but true... Hopefully Raptor if and when you have kids you raise them to not rely on tv and tv shows. (BTW I am not slamming anyone who has kids who watch tv, my nieces and nephews barely tv but still know every theme song and cartoon character on tv right now)