Nick-U becomes Planet Snoopy in 2010?

BeastinNight

Really? raptor? When I was a kid I was thrilled to get a hug from Scooby-Doo a high five from Papa Smurf and even a handshake from Yogi Bear and I loved the Elephant fountain and the ginormous rainbow that welcomed me into Hanna-Barbera Land... I also remember the Smurf statues that were sitted on the benches those were classic even as pre teen I remember getting a hug from Tommy Pickles and Chuckie Fisnster from the Rugrats .. Kids do recognize that type of stuff ..theming..Characters they love..Rides themed to the shows/characters they love adds more fun to it.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the whole argument is really silly, when I was a kid, I didn't even realize there was theming - it was all about rides to me, and if I could've had a choice between a new ride and a statue of a cartoon I watched, it would require no thought, I'd be going for the ride - that's what amusement parks are all about - quite frankly It wouldn't hurt my feelings to have no theming, just pretty landscape and spend that money on more rides, however I don't understand the fascination with this Nick stuff, to me it looks like nothing but a bunch of boring educational crap! leave that for school, leave fun for an amusement park, just my two cents and I'm sure you'll all disagree, but I'm tired of looking at Nick

I have 3 little girls, all under the age of 8. I understand completely why people are upset. Our trips to Kings Island this year were not trumped up by shouts of "RIDES! RIDES!" it was "I wonder if we get to meet Spongebob? I wonder if we get to meet Dora?" And the statues there are just as popular as the characters. Sit on the benches near Reptar and you'll see what I mean. Young and old alike flock to the Patrick statue to take a picture. Heck, even I did, and I'm 30 years old.

Young kids pay very close attention to their surroundings. And as far as Nick being a bunch of boring educational crap, you couldn't be further from the truth. Sure Dora and Blue teach young kids things, but Spongebob is all about entertainment. I started watching him before I even had kids. Same for Hey Arnold. I was like a little kid when Arnold popped out during our last visit. It's all good lighthearted fun.

Going into that section makes me feel like a kid again. And I've created a lot of memories there with my own children. Imagine sitting in Nick U with your child, having a blue icecream..when all of the sudden Patrick Starfish walks up. My daughter almost dropped her icecream. THOSE are memories I'll cherish forever. Not how many rides we got in on Fairly Oddcoaster...

Really? raptor? When I was a kid I was thrilled to get a hug from Scooby-Doo a high five from Papa Smurf and even a handshake from Yogi Bear and I loved the Elephant fountain and the ginormous rainbow that welcomed me into Hanna-Barbera Land... I also remember the Smurf statues that were sitted on the benches those were classic even as pre teen I remember getting a hug from Tommy Pickles and Chuckie Fisnster from the Rugrats .. Kids do recognize that type of stuff ..theming..Characters they love..Rides themed to the shows/characters they love adds more fun to it.

What? There were Smurfs at KI!?!?

Yep..even Quick Draw McGraw. He stole my hat once :)

I clicked the link from Screamscape this morning and it went to the announcement on Kings Island's website. Now it just goes to the Events page. I'd assume this is all legit, but KI is reluctant to get it all out there or something.

Anyway, I'm conflicted on it. I told a girl who works with me about this today and she has 2 kids. She said that her kids have no idea who Snoopy or the Peanuts are. But then; I agree, a kid will run and hug any over-sized costumed cartoon character no matter who it is. My problem with the Peanuts is that they're not really relevant anymore. They're mainly known to kids now by old specials and a re-run of comics in the news paper. They don't really do much new content except for merchandise and MetLife commercials.

I really hope that if this happens, it isn't some cheap tack-on theming. It seems like it will be a really daunting task to re-theme all of the excellent Nick-themed rides. But then, I was surprised by how they transformed from HB; so who knows.

...With SoB not running, The Crypt on it's last legs, and 2 major coaster projects in other parks, how much money do you think is going to be leftover to retheme 3 parks in to camp Snoopy?...

Acutally, it is five parks ;), which actually helps your point.

(KI, KD, Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland, CGA)

I think the whole argument is really silly, when I was a kid, I didn't even realize there was theming - it was all about rides to me, and if I could've had a choice between a new ride and a statue of a cartoon I watched, it would require no thought, I'd be going for the ride - that's what amusement parks are all about - quite frankly It wouldn't hurt my feelings to have no theming, just pretty landscape and spend that money on more rides, however I don't understand the fascination with this Nick stuff, to me it looks like nothing but a bunch of boring educational crap! leave that for school, leave fun for an amusement park, just my two cents and I'm sure you'll all disagree, but I'm tired of looking at Nick

It wouldn't hurt your feelings to just have landscaping? Well, you're not one of the children that will be going to the park for the kids' area, now will you :lol:? Also, kids do care about the themeing. Well, more so the characters. As others have said, the kids LOVE going up to the characters and interecting with them. When I was a little kid (from 6 to 12 years ago [when I went to kids area]), I sort of remember interacting with the characters. It is some of the joy for a kid; to see something they see on television to actually come to life. For a kid, seeing Spongebob, or Scooby Doo, or Avatar is like a grown adult seeing a baseball, football, or a tennis player, or an actor, etc (whatever you like). Yes, most parents will still take their kids, but if the children aren't excited, I doubt they'll be asking their mommy and daddy to take them to KI. There are some parents that go to KI in order for JUST their kids to have fun. That will cut out a lot of money for CF.

At one time, yes. There was a nice Smurf-themed boat ride where SDATHC is now. The blue ice cream was marketed as Smurf ice cream and HB was the only place you could get it.

absolutely, when I was a kid and went to KI every year, I had no idea what theming was, other than the scooby doo juice bottles, I didn't even notice characters, I was just interested in rides, Ice Cream, snacks, food, ect. I did appreciate nice scenery, it wasn't until the Smurfs invaded the Enchanted Voyage, did I even notice a cartoon character, hard not to notice them there. It was certainly all about rides and fun, pictures and statues certainly had no effect on how fun a place was for me, after all they were just decoration, not something real

Mmm..Smurf Cone.. at least that's what I call the wonderful blue ice cream I love it and pcc I remember Quick Draw he stole my hat too.I love the peanuts but do kids I mean most kids haven't a clue who they are sure they know snoopy and charlie brown but do they really know them like they do Scooby-Doo and Nickelodeon?

So, I don't think this is something to blame CF for. They were forced into a difficult decision because continuing the contract was not financially feasable.

I am a realist…I know that if the cost was too high they had no choice…but it is like CF is sticking the knife in and twisting it by replacing it with something SO worthless.

absolutely, when I was a kid and went to KI every year, I had no idea what theming was, other than the scooby doo juice bottles, I didn't even notice characters, I was just interested in rides...

Well, I guess you are the demographic CF was thinking of when they thought The Peanuts was a good idea!

By the way…Scooby_Doo & pcc…thanks for sharing the nice memories…although they seem a little sad now. :(

Earlier in the posts someone had Avatar with Charlie Brown's head on it (The Airbender Ride) That made me laugh. I don't understand what they would change Scooby Doo's Haunted Castle though. Mabye Search for Snoopy!

That was me. Thanks. And the Search for Snoopy above was me, too. I can't imagine what they're going to come up with, but I think whatever it is will grow on people.

<Picture snipped>

I'm glad I took this picture. I've always liked it...it's as if Spongebob is saying "I'm king of the park!" ..or something ;)

Or like Spongebob is in the rain dramatically yelling "Whyyyyyyy?! Darn you Cedar Fair!!" ;)

I think I've watched too many movies.

As a long time KI fan, I have to say that I have very mixed feelings on this and understand the passion that both sides of this discussion have (and appreciate the respect with which it has been carried out). My thoughts (as a kid who grew up with H-B Land at KI and who has kids who love Nick U):

- In some ways, its sad as my kids really enjoy Nick U and some Nick Characters, so it just won't be the same (not necessarily better or worse, just not the same) next year. What's funny to me is that both boys love FOC but have no clue who the characters are, only started watching Dora after they saw the show last year, enjoy seeing sponge bob but don't like to watch him on TV, and enjoy watching the Backyardigans but don't often run up to these characters or ride the swings.

- I also respect CF for making what I assume is a good business decision. In this economy, I don't think they could afford to be stupid and pay an excessive amount for the licensing. What will be key is to see how they turn this into theming for the area next year to see if it is fun for the families.

- Change is always hard - I miss H-B Land, King Cobra, Lion Country Safari, KCKC, etc... but in total like what KI has become. As giga said, I'm going to expect CF to do this right until proven wrong

My guess is that the kids will have as much fun next year as they did this year and it won't be a big deal, but we'll have to wait and see.

The bigger question for me is whether Scooby will really be gone - what will become the 2010 standard KIC meet up hysterical group picture location!

Well, I could be wrong, but if you go back to the Golden Age of Amusement Parks, I don't think there was much character theming back then, except maybe On a few select rides, it was mostly about rides, entertainment, snacks and a place to hangout, and that's what it's always been for me. I certainly like Snoopy better than Nick, I don't like Nick, but even though it has been at KI, I have enjoyed the park, and enjoyed Nick U, because it's all fun, whether it's my favorite cartoon, or one I don't like at all it's still a good time.

I disagree that there is not high recognition of the Peanuts characters among the kids. You are telling me that they don't recognize Snoopy? I don't buy it. My nephews certainly recognize Snoopy and the other Peanuts characters. Maybe they are only on network TV a few times a year but you forget about their exposure on the home video/dvd market. Plus the TV commercials such as the Metlife ads. The Peanuts characters are known all over the world, probably more famous than the Nickelodeon characters.

I guess all the rides in Nick Central are going to be renamed-rethemed. I'm not sure if I agree that children identify with the Peanuts Gang and Snoopy, as they do with Nickelodeon. My 9 year old knows of snoopy, but Spongebob and other character are more widely known and popular. Heck why don't we go back to Hanna-Barberra Land and really confuse the little boogers(LOL) Just kidding. Enchanted Voyage was the best of the rides, when it was a slow water ride going thru a giant TV into cartoon land. That is my fondest memory of KI as a child. One more ride they need to bring back is the Bayren Curve(hope the spelling is right) It was a fun little ride that the speed and g-forces helped me with getting prepared for coaster at a later time. I will welcome Planet Snoopy but miss Nick-Central.