Nick-U becomes Planet Snoopy in 2010?

BeastinNight

I have 3 little girls, all under the age of 8. I understand completely why people are upset. Our trips to Kings Island this year were not trumped up by shouts of "RIDES! RIDES!" it was "I wonder if we get to meet Spongebob? I wonder if we get to meet Dora?" And the statues there are just as popular as the characters. Sit on the benches near Reptar and you'll see what I mean. Young and old alike flock to the Patrick statue to take a picture. Heck, even I did, and I'm 30 years old.

OUCH!!!!!!!

Standbyme, this is exactly why it feels like they are sticking in the knife and turning it. Memorable moments like that won't happen with those characters any more :( and it's sad. I agree that younger kids are much more familiar with Nick Characters and would be more likely to want to go to the park to see them than Peanuts. The reality though is that CF owns the park now and has it's own unique set of cards like financial resources, relationships with those who hold licensing rights and target demographics.

I still think the kids area will be fantastic though and hope that CF realizes that unlike diamonds, this gem needs taken care of! I hope thay have the foresight and resources to keep it up (I do worry about the resources part of that though)! I give some credit for putting more emphasis into theming. MAverick is kinda themed, I love the theming of TTD (I know it's minimal but it works for me) and look at how much renovation they did surrounding DB.

Prove the naysayers wrong CF and I will celebrate your success with you! At one of the many fine parks my PP gets me into (and hopefully Dorney next week ;) ).

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who can fly a doghouse

up in the bright blue sky?

(It's Snoopy, it's got to be him)

Who can wind up his ears

lift up his head and fly?

Chorus:

It's not a robot, not a fiddle

No no, not him

It's not a Lassie, not a Benji,

not Rin Tin Tin

Well, it's Snoopy

(talking 'bout) Snoopy

He can do anything

Snoopy makes everyone smile

I loved that song as a kid :) lol

well growing up i only have 5 memories of the peanuts

1. its the great pumpkin charlie brown

2. the one where there in the lil boat race thingy

3. the great christmas charile brown .

4. and a cartoon i seen (not sure where i seen it) of snoopy flying his dog house.

5. the funnies in the paper.

and one current one "metlife"

and see my memories are too great i cant get the titles right :(

Have any of you even been to the Planet Snoopy at Cedar Point? That thing isn't even half as big as ours yet it is still wonderful. Cedar Fair knows darn well that this is an award winning kids area and will no doubt do an excellent job of keeping it great. Give them a chance. Plus, the idea of kids not wanting to see Snoopy is an unbelievable load of bull. The kids at Cedar Point are quite happy and content with the Peanuts gang. The idea that the children of Kings Island won't be able to adapt to them just makes me want to vomit. I realize that right now they are used to Nickelodeon, but let's all look back and see what happened with Hanna Barbera Land. I bet you the kids were pretty darn happy with those characters, despite them being well beyond their age. Nickelodeon came in, and they got used to them. Now that Peanuts is coming, let's see how they react, no doubt they will learn to love these guys. I'd really like it if you gave these guys a chance before swarming the board with "Snoopy Sucks!" and "Cedar Fair are idiots!" and more propaganda.

My 2 cents on this very unstable subject.

I for one have never said Snoopy sucks...I do think that the idea of Snoopy as a character that is considered "current" to the children of today IS ludacris. When Nick replaced HB I myself was dissapointed that I would never see those characters walking around again...but I knew that for the children's sake it was the right thing for the park to do. The way I looked at it was "Well, I had my time...now it is time for the new generation to have their time". I did come from more of an innocent era...at least compared to today's standards...on my very first trip to Kings Island, which was WAY before most people on this board were even thought of...the only souvenirs that I wanted were some postcards showing the HB characters riding the rides. (Yes, I still have them.) I can also still remember the HB rainbow...and I can't count how many times that my parents took us on The Enchanted Voyage that day...my siblings and I were just amazed to see our Saturday Morning cartoon characters come to life...it would NOT have been the same if Kings Island had had character's that we were not familiar with.

And to anyone who says "They'll get used to them"....how does that compute to the family that may only go once every year or so...I guess their children are just out of luck for that "magical" experience.

And now for my take on Snoopy...I think his TV specials are GREAT! It is never Halloween unless I watch "It's The Great Pumpkin" or Christmas without "A Charlie Brown Christmas". (Last year my avatar during halloween was Linus in the pumpkin patch.) So I AM a Peanuts fan...but, just like I am a fan of Calvin & Hobbes, The Far Side, Chas Addams, Felix The Cat, Gigantor, Popeye etc...I know that the kids of today would rather see someone THEY love....which is what a kid's area SHOULD be all about....

And i'll repeat this gripe one more time to anyone (and no one in paticular) who keeps saying "Give it a chance...see how it turns out"...well, here is the picture I posted on page 1...these are the ACTUAL costumes that CF is already using...so we already KNOW how they are going to look.

peanuts.jpg

As I said before, Snoopy looks good...as he should...but the rest of them look creepy...and out of proportion....these costumes are NOT done well. These characters look like The Rugrats when they were teenagers...their heads are not the correct size for a "child"....when they made these costumes they should have made them more along the lines of Patrick...a big rounded body with a larger head.

Here is how they should look:

a-charlie-brown-christmas.jpg

Notice that their heads are a liittle less than 1/2 of their body size...the CF outfits are nowhere near that.

It may sound like I am being picky...but if I can compliment the park when I like something I feel like I can complain also.

I can almost hear the crys in the park next year from the kids..."LOOK MOM! It's the dog from the Metlife commercials!"

Now I am off to paint a room....

offtopic..

I understand people's frustration. I remember when Cedar Point transformed from the Bears to Snoopy. My summers, we practically lived at CP, and seeing the Bears always meant something to me, Brother Bear in particular. My dad was involved with the park back in those years so he knew just about every employee there so the girl who played Brother Bear even sent me letters over Christmas. During those winter months I'd have my Berenstain Bear books/VHS videos and wait for that CP visit. Those were back in the years where I would only ride Jr Gemini. Only other things I was interested in where the dolphins and Berenstain Bears. Never got into the coasters till a couple years later. Seemed like once I got into the coasters, CF bought Knott's and then Cedar Point begins to advertise Snoopy. I always have loved Snoopy, Hanna Barbera and some of the earlier Nickelodean cartoons..never even heard of Mickey Mouse till I was 7 when my grandpa took me to Disney World and I called Mickey a rat (cause grandpa called him that). The one time of a year trip to Kings Island would come, it was Yogi I go after the most. I loved the Rugrats cartoons, but when I saw the massive heads on the characters at the park, I decided...no. Kept myself hidden behind grandpa.

When Hanna Barbera was getting transformed into entirely Nicktoons, I felt another Bears to Snoopy >.> I haven't watched Nickelodean in years cause the shows that began to show are crap compared to what I knew in Hey Arnold, Angry beavers, Rugrats (earlier years, after Dil showed up I think they began to loose their luster), Are You Afraid of the Dark, and such shows. But Nicktoons grew on to me, just as Snoopy did during my later CP visits after he shown up. And Snoopy will eventually grow onto everyone else at KI. Only real negative I see is Scooby, who's been at the park since KI opened and even he himself was on the new side. (Scooby debuted what? 1969?)

I must say... one thing about Peanuts, its very easy to pick a character you relate most to. I can relate just darn near everything Peppermint Patty goes through. Tomboy, not very bright and unable to pay attention in school, friends with mostly boys (even tho her best friend was a girl). I only have 2 girls I even consider close friends..

/end offtopic

they will do great!!! for sure!!! I have faith in this project Lets just be so positive its not easy for change, but we had same reaction when it became a smurf ride or good bye to a disney type ride the phantom and a fond fare well to the greatest coaster, ever built for kids now its just horses!!!

Kids will be fine, for those of you not fortunate ever to be at Knotts, or Cedarpoint, its great,

hopefully Kings Island will still be the flagship for the kids zone!!

Maybe they'll bring us a snoopy bounce house????

Lets hope for the best:

and accept even 2nd to that:

Well back in Coney Island`s days, before Taft became involved to build Kings Island, the theming in the children`s area was not tied to cartoons of any sort. The kiddy area was known as the "Land of Oz." Back then, there were no costumed characters that tied to popular television shows or movies. In fact, the characters that children sought out were Coney`s own mascots like Kellems the Klown. Granted, things have changed a lot since then. But the basic principle is the same. Heck, look at Looney Tunes in the Six Flags parks. Those shows aren`t even on basic television like they used to be. But the point is, whether its Spongebob, Bugs Bunny, Snoopy or some other character, kids will still have fun riding the kiddy rides in an amusement park. They will still make memories and have a good time. Things change over the years, sometimes not always for the best in some people`s opinions. But the root issue is that kids will still enjoy themselves regardless of what characters grace the rides they are enjoying.

I just don't understand why Peanuts is in all the Cedar Fair amusement parks. All it is now is a comic strip in the newspaper. No more movies or shows. What's the point of having a theme of an old, long gone cartoon?

Like Mickey Mouse

Well I know Mickey Mouse is all over and he stars in Kingdom Hearts,Mickey Mouse Club House,House of Mouse.

Anyways I got some facts on Snoopy and the Peanuts...

- Snoopy has the most balloons in The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade ever with six balloons his current balloon is the World War Flying Ace.

- Charlie Brown was on Nickelodeon at one time in a tv show titled ''Your on Nickelodeon Charlie Brown'' or in this case ''Your Replacing Nickelodeon,Charlie Brown!'' ;)

- Snoopy is the official mascot of aerospace.

- Charles Schulz gave Loyola College Prep in Shreveport, LA the right to use the Flying Ace for their school mascot (the Flyers).

- Snoopy has a new videogame coming titled Snoopy World War Flying Ace it's coming for the Xbox 360,PS3,Wii and DS,PS2,PSP in 2010.

- Snoopy, piloting his "Sopwith Camel" (i.e. his doghouse), is featured in the logo of Charles M. Schulz - Sonoma County Airport.

- A series of postage stamps featuring Snoopy as a World War I flying ace was released on May 17, 2001 in Santa Rosa, California.

- Snoopy One, Snoopy Two and Snoopy Three are three airships owned and operated by MetLife and provide aerial coverage of American sporting events.

- The Silver Snoopy award is a special NASA honor, in the form of a sterling silver pin with an engraving of Snoopy in a spacesuit helmet. It is given by an astronaut to someone who works in the space program that has gone above and beyond in pursuit of quality and safety.

So yeah Snoopy is really popular and timeless I'm looking forward to seeing him and woodstock in the park in 2010 my only gripe is if they get rid of Scooby-Doo! which to me is a stupid fatal mistake.

Guest TombraiderTy

^Thank you for sharing those facts- he's more known than we're giving him credit for. He's also all over schools on educational posters (you know, the cheesey ones like "Do Your Best!"), meaning that many elementary kids see Snoopy daily.

Your welcome I love snoopy and am kinda excited but I don't wanna give up my favorite mystery sloving canine! Yeah I love Snoopy and woodstock they are my favorties and as a Halloween lover I love the lighthearted fun of the great pumpkin and it's not christmas unless I see the christmas specials yeah pretty fun stuff.

I just don't understand why Peanuts is in all the Cedar Fair amusement parks. All it is now is a comic strip in the newspaper. No more movies or shows. What's the point of having a theme of an old, long gone cartoon?

Toon Lagoon at Islands of Adventure is themed to "old, long gone cartoons", yet the kids have an absolute field day over there because the theming there is spectacular and they have two of the best water rides ever created (in my opinion), Bilge Rat Barges and Ripsaw Falls:

image023.jpg

image018.jpg

Yeah I remember when IOA was in the concept stage I remember reading about the ''Gotham City Island''(Batman for all of you that don't read comics or watch the movies) that is now Marvel Super Hero Island. sorry for going off topic

I just hope justice is done I mean our kids area is huge and I don't want CF to make it generic theme wise.

Toon Lagoon at Islands of Adventure is themed to "old, long gone cartoons", yet the kids have an absolute field day over there because the theming there is spectacular and they have two of the best water rides ever created (in my opinion), Bilge Rat Barges and Ripsaw Falls:

image023.jpg

image018.jpg

That ride looks fun! Off topic. But okay, you got me. But still, not many places have older cartoons.

I for one have never said Snoopy sucks...I do think that the idea of Snoopy as a character that is considered "current" to the children of today IS ludacris. When Nick replaced HB I myself was dissapointed that I would never see those characters walking around again...but I knew that for the children's sake it was the right thing for the park to do. The way I looked at it was "Well, I had my time...now it is time for the new generation to have their time". I did come from more of an innocent era...at least compared to today's standards...on my very first trip to Kings Island, which was WAY before most people on this board were even thought of...the only souvenirs that I wanted were some postcards showing the HB characters riding the rides. (Yes, I still have them.) I can also still remember the HB rainbow...and I can't count how many times that my parents took us on The Enchanted Voyage that day...my siblings and I were just amazed to see our Saturday Morning cartoon characters come to life...it would NOT have been the same if Kings Island had had character's that we were not familiar with.

And to anyone who says "They'll get used to them"....how does that compute to the family that may only go once every year or so...I guess their children are just out of luck for that "magical" experience.

And now for my take on Snoopy...I think his TV specials are GREAT! It is never Halloween unless I watch "It's The Great Pumpkin" or Christmas without "A Charlie Brown Christmas". (Last year my avatar during halloween was Linus in the pumpkin patch.) So I AM a Peanuts fan...but, just like I am a fan of Calvin & Hobbes, The Far Side, Chas Addams, Felix The Cat, Gigantor, Popeye etc...I know that the kids of today would rather see someone THEY love....which is what a kid's area SHOULD be all about....

And i'll repeat this gripe one more time to anyone (and no one in paticular) who keeps saying "Give it a chance...see how it turns out"...well, here is the picture I posted on page 1...these are the ACTUAL costumes that CF is already using...so we already KNOW how they are going to look.

peanuts.jpg

As I said before, Snoopy looks good...as he should...but the rest of them look creepy...and out of proportion....these costumes are NOT done well. These characters look like The Rugrats when they were teenagers...their heads are not the correct size for a "child"....when they made these costumes they should have made them more along the lines of Patrick...a big rounded body with a larger head.

Here is how they should look:

a-charlie-brown-christmas.jpg

Notice that their heads are a liittle less than 1/2 of their body size...the CF outfits are nowhere near that.

It may sound like I am being picky...but if I can compliment the park when I like something I feel like I can complain also.

I can almost hear the crys in the park next year from the kids..."LOOK MOM! It's the dog from the Metlife commercials!"

Now I am off to paint a room....

Hey look, its the KICentral mods. Lol. Joking :)