Disney to buy comic book powerhouse Marvel for $4B

This is a really smart move by Disney...

In the short term, the "Marvel land" at IOA should not be affected, as they'll have to honor any existing license or contractual agreements. From an article on Yahoo Finance:

"Although it began producing its own movies, starting with "Iron Man" last year, Marvel has several deals with other movie studios that Disney said it will honor and re-examine upon expiration.

For example, "Spider-Man 4," set for release in 2011, is being made with Sony Corp.'s Columbia Pictures; "Iron Man 2" will be distributed by Viacom Inc.'s Paramount Pictures next year; and the upcoming "X-Men Origins: Magneto" and "X-Men Origins: Wolverine 2," both due in 2011, are to be distributed by News Corp.'s 20th Century Fox."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Disney-to-bu...l?x=0&.v=19

Also, the deal requires anti-trust review, so Disney won't say/do anything in the near future which could jeopordize the deal.

Of course, if previous behavior is any indication, I imagine after all the current license agreements expire Disney will want to bring the Marvel franchises "home". (At which point it would probably be unlikely that they'll want their valuable new franchise living at their biggest O-town competitor...)

When I first opened up the thread I thought it said 48 dollars. I thought to myself, that cant be right, then I looked again. Disney is making another move, a great one in my opinion with Marvel growin and growing in not only the comic business, but the movie business as well.

Guest TombraiderTy

I wonder how long Islands of Adventure has a contract to use Marvel characters... And what they'll do once it's over. They could retheme the entire Marvel Superhero Island area into a new area with a new theme, or return to a different comic book theme- Gotham City perhaps? I must admit I'm a tad afraid to see if anything will happen to The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man... And I'm also a bit disappointed that this may mean the somewhat-rumored "Iron Man" flying roller coaster probably won't ever see the light of day at that park.

...Disney’s acquisition of Marvel is expected to have no effect on Universal Studios Florida, where visitors ride on attractions themed to Spider-Man and pose for photos with the Incredible Hulk at the Islands of Adventure theme park.

“Our agreement with Marvel stands for as long as we follow the terms of our existing contract and for as long as we want there to be a Marvel Super Hero Island,” said Universal Studios Florida spokesman Tom Schroder.

Marvel Super Hero Island at Universal’s Islands of Adventure, across town from Walt Disney World in Orlando, includes the Incredible Hulk roller-coaster and the Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man simulator ride as well walk-around characters such as Wolverine and Captain America....

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/...el-theme--5246/

And this leads us to a segment we like to call, REALLY!?, with Seth Meyers and Amy Poehler.

Amy Poehler left the show

REALLY?

I'm sorry, I had to.

Ha, I love that show. The Michael Phelps "REALLY!?!" was the best one.

Anyway, I've never been to IOA, but hopefully when (or if) I go I hope Spidey is still there.

I wonder how long Islands of Adventure has a contract to use Marvel characters... And what they'll do once it's over. They could retheme the entire Marvel Superhero Island area into a new area with a new theme, or return to a different comic book theme- Gotham City perhaps? I must admit I'm a tad afraid to see if anything will happen to The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man... And I'm also a bit disappointed that this may mean the somewhat-rumored "Iron Man" flying roller coaster probably won't ever see the light of day at that park.

No.WB/DC Comics never wanted to be apart of IoA.

This does have a me a bit worried ....

Great move by Disney to incorporate more great characters within their ever expanding cast. Great way to target the young boy market. Disney is already successful in targeting young girld with Hannah Montana, Jonas, and so forth, and now they have the perfect complement. Excelent move on their part.

I don't see this affecting much if anything with the Universal parks, but I would say Disney is out of the running to purchase Bush Parks now.

Yeah, but for a company like Disney, the $4B purchase price of Marvel will provide a much better ROI in the long run than purchasing the Busch Parks ever would have. (Not that I'm sure anyone is going to shell out the estimated $4B for those parks...anytime in the very near future, anyway.)

From the article Terpy linked above (emphasis added):

The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man, a log-flume ride that showcases hologram technology, is Universal Orlando's top attraction and is considered one of the greatest rides ever conceived.

Um, did I miss something? Or have they made severe changes to Spidey since I rode it? Here I thought Spidey was the best darkride I've ever been on, and now I find out it's actually the best log flume I've ever been on... :wacko::rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=12374

Today Marvel announced that the last step in making the merger official has been set as December 31st. On that day at 9:00 am EST, Marvel stockholders will meet to vote on the deal which will net them a share of the $4 billion Disney put up for the company in sync with the amount of shares they own in Marvel Entertainment. Should the deal be approved — and most analysts believe that it will — then Marvel will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Disney going into 2010...