SHOOT THE RAPIDS at Cedar Point

I love it, I can't wait to be able to ride Shoot the rapids. Looks like your just going to get soaked even without the drops. I don't see why some peps are getting bent out of shape, you can't expect them to add a new coaster each time they add something new! When it comes to cost its a water ride it looks like it will have multiple pump stations lots of steel and concrete, pumps, surge tanks, water quality systems and boats.

What some people fail to realize is that this ride is essentially buying us kick ass, CP grade coasters in the future. It is being built to make money so that other things can be built to make money. STR will attract a ton of families that spend a lot in the park.

Besides, be just got Maverick in 07' and it's Maverick. Everyone loves it. Before that TTD... it's just way too great of a park to complain.

Just for the record, I really wanted a coaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was just prepared for a flume type ride.

• Like 1

Guest rcfreak339

"OMG Cedar Point ISN'T GETTING A WORLD RECORD BREAKING COASTER!! Cedar Point SUCKS!" Gah! It's so annoying when people complain and complain while the park is getting an amazing water coaster. Pathetic.

• Like 1

What some people fail to realize is that this ride is essentially buying us kick ass, CP grade coasters in the future. It is being built to make money so that other things can be built to make money. STR will attract a ton of families that spend a lot in the park.

Besides, be just got Maverick in 07' and it's Maverick. Everyone loves it. Before that TTD... it's just way too great of a park to complain.

Just for the record, I really wanted a coaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was just prepared for a flume type ride.

I give you the post of the day award. Sure I want a new a coaster as much as anyone but you have to please the families in order to be successful. The cool thing about this ride to me is that I like Snake River Falls and Thunder Canyon but I can never seem to rationalize getting a locker and change of clothes necessary to ride them. With the addition of Shoot the Rapids (Shooter?) that makes changing clothes and getting a locker a lot more logical. So I'm looking forward to not only riding Shooter for the first time but riding the other two for the first time in a decade.

I'm curious to whoever said this ride could not possible cost $10.5mil. Where do suggest the rest of the money is going? Is this a conspiracy or did CP get ripped off and in the future they should consult you for what the price of rides should cost? :D

• Like 1

I'm pretty pleased about this ride...I think it fills a niche that CP really needed to focus on again. I'm glad it will be "lightly themed" (ala Maverick) so they won't be trying anything too ambitious that they'll never be able to maintain. I'm just hoping it's not a soaker...I hate being fully dressed and getting water dumped on me.

Yeah, it's not a giant record-setting coaster, but neither was Maverick and it's actually in my top five rides now in any park overall (well, the front seat, anyway...)

The local NBC affiliate in Columbus this morning was talking about the "new water ride for 2010 at Cedar Point", but was showing stock footage from a waterpark! So, the whole time they were talking about it, they were showing one of those kids water play areas with the big dumping buckets of water. Yeah, that's not going to confuse people at all about what this ride really is... :huh: (Would it have killed them just to use the animation & press material CF provided???) :)

• Like 1

I'm pretty pleased about this ride...I think it fills a niche that CP really needed to focus on again. I'm glad it will be "lightly themed" (ala Maverick) so they won't be trying anything too ambitious that they'll never be able to maintain.

Actually, think of it being themed in line with Paddlewheel Excursions. CP is underpromising / overdelivering here. As of now there will be show scenes, tied into the Paddlewheel show scenes. After the flack they caught with Maverick having elements on the animation that didn't come to be, they left most of it off the video this time. Look for more details to come out over the winter. Don't expect a Splash Mountain, but PWE and even the CP&LE RR have some decently thought out, and very well maintained show elements.

Yeah, it's not a giant record-setting coaster, but neither was Maverick and it's actually in my top five rides now in any park overall (well, the front seat, anyway...)

I think after what happened with TTD, Cedar Fair corporate Planning and Design has been much better at reading their customers, not their enthusiasts. Maverick is top 5 for me as well. Other stellar (though not necessarily record breaking) additions have been Renegade, Prowler, and the new hypers (Behemoth, Diamondback, soon to he Intimidator). The public really seems to be eating these up.

The local NBC affiliate in Columbus this morning was talking about the "new water ride for 2010 at Cedar Point", but was showing stock footage from a waterpark! So, the whole time they were talking about it, they were showing one of those kids water play areas with the big dumping buckets of water. Yeah, that's not going to confuse people at all about what this ride really is... :huh: (Would it have killed them just to use the animation & press material CF provided???) :)

I work for WBNS (and spent several painful years at WSYX, as my screen name suggests), and WCMH has run that file video for Shoot the Rapids at least 5 times that I've seen. They have access to the same CNN video server that we (and WSYX) do, they just don't care to look. That place is a mess.

• Like 1

Wow, yet another ride that CP is building with a lite theme. I feel as though CP is starting to shift a few millimeters at a time towards a themed amusement park, like our home park. Do you think that maybe perhaps they learned something about this kind of stuff after the 2006 aquisition?

After looking at it, I really hope that they add some stuff to the ride. The drops look great and the waterfall and tunnel look nice, but the rest of the ride looks uneventful and boring. Some decent thematic elements would be nicet along those ground level turns, not just a look at the trees.

• Like 1

Thanks Browns!

I don't want to get drenched and spinning around doesn't work on this ride type.

Beast, I agree. Animations also do little to convey the real feel of a ride so maybe it'll work but it just seems a bit thin to me. I hope, at least that the environment makes up for it but I really want some good theming. Some animatronics would be sweet!

• Like 1

It's actually funny watching some of you fight because you did not get exactly what you want. It's a new addition coming to Cedar Point, sure it's not a coaster, which almost all of us could admit that is what we truly wanted, but it's a new ride nontheless. My only complaint is that it is a soaker. I just don't see where they are trying to go with a soaker, they see the lines for Snake River Falls and Thunder Canyon. They are very low. I wish they would take out some of the drenching elements like the waterfall, and just add some more hills that don't get you drenched.

• Like 1

But if they were to say you will get wet and then they came out with a coaster, would you be mad? None of the stuff they say is official, they are reporting it on Facebook and Twitter, that's really not an official press realease, it's just to get people talking.

The reason I am baffled by this is because it is so unneeded.... It's Sandusky, for God's sake!! A northern climate on the water with indoor water attractions in the same city and a huge inland sea nearby. CP is a resort that draws people from all over the country, and I don't see people from far away coming to CP to ride this (especially when KD and CW are options for them next year)...... As I said in my prior post, this addition doesn't make sense, and the more I think about it, the less sense it makes.......

• Like 1

The reason I am baffled by this is because it is so unneeded.... It's Sandusky, for God's sake!! A northern climate on the water with indoor water attractions in the same city and a huge inland sea nearby. CP is a resort that draws people from all over the country, and I don't see people from far away coming to CP to ride this (especially when KD and CW are options for them next year)...... As I said in my prior post, this addition doesn't make sense, and the more I think about it, the less sense it makes.......

Beatle, it may be Sandusky.. but trust me, you do not want to swim in Lake Erie. Have you seen how green that water is and how much trash is in it? It also gets very hot up there during the summer.. I've been there on days where it hit almost 100 and the temps hovered in the mid 80s even after the sun went down. It seems that the northern natives are also used to the weather.. I've seen full boats of people on Snake River Falls on a 50 degree day.

If you build it, they will come.

• Like 1

Beatle, it may be Sandusky.. but trust me, you do not want to swim in Lake Erie. Have you seen how green that water is and how much trash is in it? It also gets very hot up there during the summer.. I've been there on days where it hit almost 100 and the temps hovered in the mid 80s even after the sun went down. It seems that the northern natives are also used to the weather.. I've seen full boats of people on Snake River Falls on a 50 degree day.

If you build it, they will come.

The Cedar Point beach isn't that bad actually. It doesn't have much trash at all. I think it's actually very clean now, as indicated by all the bugs that have been up here all year. ;) I actually consider it the best option if you want to go in the water at Cedar Point. As for the water inside the park, well that's a different story...

• Like 1

You answered yourself. Cedar Point IS a resort, it has a well respected reputation. People are coming regardless of Shoot-the-Rapids being built or not. I used to hit CP far more than KI when I lived in Cincinnati, northern climate or not, I saw plenty of days where both Thunder Canyon and Snake River Falls had full queues! So more capacity in the water department is not a bad thing at all! For God's sake, they have 17 coasters! I'm happy to see something different going in, I personally think its a great addition. Pilgrim's Plunge certainly seemed to get a VERY good guest response, I'm sure Shoot-the-Rapids will be the same.

- Todd

• Like 1

If you have ridden any CP water ride, you have swam in Lake Erie/Sandusky Bay. You can see the intake on perimeter road by Thunder Canyon. The lake is by far cleaner then it use to be, my mom rembers when you could smell dead fish from the Oceana Midway.

Wrong. Thunder Canyon's water does indeed come from the bay. They pump it in and out daily. The water for SRF, however, is chlorinated water.

It's CP's fault that anyone is diasppointed, they were clearly leading us in the direction that it was a coaster, especially with "You will not get wet!" which was a blatant lie.

Wow. Really? Someone would be disappointed no matter what the announcement. If it was the biggest and fastest coaster, the families would be disappointed. People were disappointed when they announced Maverick. The park is filling a gap in their lineup, as has been said numerous times. And if some coaster fanboys want to whine about it, that's certainly not the park's fault.

• Like 1

Beatle, it may be Sandusky.. but trust me, you do not want to swim in Lake Erie. Have you seen how green that water is and how much trash is in it?

How can I say this without sounding too rude?

You really have no clue what you are talking about.

First, the the only way Lake Erie is "green" is because of the seaweed that grows in it, it is simply a reflection. And the increased seaweed growth has, ironically, been because sunlight is now getting to areas that has not seen the sun in quite some time. The zebra mussels that were thought to be a terrible nusance have cleaned the Lake dramatically.

Next, while there is going to be trash in any body of water, Lake Erie pollution has gotten improved greatly over the last 30 years.

Now I won't suggest going down to the lake to take a drink of fresh Lake Erie water, but, you don't have to worry about growing a third arm out your butt because you swam in the lake.

• Like 1