smoking

KIDIAMONDBACK

Guest safety and comfort. Some people don't want to be around smoke. That's why there are desginated areas, so those guests can avoid it if they want. Also, it's now law that there is no smoking in public (or maybe that's just in Cincinnati, I think?). On rides, you could drop your cigarette and someone could be burned. I doubt you're even old enough to smoke.

*more crickets.....cricket...cricket. haha :huh:

*foghorn* *railroad crossing dings* *banjos... o wait.... :P

Guest safety and comfort. Some people don't want to be around smoke. That's why there are desginated areas, so those guests can avoid it if they want. Also, it's now law that there is no smoking in public (or maybe that's just in Cincinnati, I think?). On rides, you could drop your cigarette and someone could be burned. I doubt you're even old enough to smoke.

State of Ohio law.

And to more correctly answer the question... common sense?!?!

and besides on the faster rides it'd go out anyways ;):P (sorry had to!)

Can we ask why smokers can't stay in the designated areas while smoking? Or why the park doesn't seem to ever enforce the rules about smoking only in designated areas?

Good question. Why don't they enforce rules against line jumping, improper dressing, parking in the gold pass lot, taking pictures on rides?

Lots of rules, very little abiding by the rules.

Can we ask why smokers can't stay in the designated areas while smoking? Or why the park doesn't seem to ever enforce the rules about smoking only in designated areas?

Good question. Why don't they enforce rules against line jumping, improper dressing, parking in the gold pass lot, taking pictures on rides?

Lots of rules, very little abiding by the rules.

A list of excellent questions. Ostensibly the aforementioned rules are in place for the safety and enjoyment of guests. Perhaps not enough guests have made it a point to complain to park management when the rules are broken to cause management to increase enforcement.

The first few years were rocky but I've notced the people smoking out of the designated areas has been reduced greatly in the past year or so. I've seen associates inform guests of smoking areas more times than I can count this season.

Good answer Ryan.

I was going to say because no matter how hard you try, people will break the rules just because they're rules. There are only so many park employees, they can't be everywhere at once to enforce the rules, unfortunately.

It always amazes me how Kings Island can offer so many rides, attractions, live shows etc and yet all that's one some peoples' minds is that very small percentage of people who smoke outside of designated areas and line jumpers. Makes me think that some people either need to 1) take a break from the park and this site or 2) go through their old photo albums and video tapes of them visiting KI as a child... all the fun they had back then... back when little things were irrelevant in comparision to the fact that they got to go to Kings Island that day. One of the biggest reasons why I have distanced, and tried to distance KIC, from some of the mainstream fan club avenues is because it seems like it becomes less of a "let's enjoy Kings Island together" ordeal and more of a "how many laps can I get in during this ERT" ordeal. Everyone has their own cup of tea, but in my opinion that, not unlike the above statement, misses the entire point.

There's a "Why do you love Kings Island?" thread somewhere on the forums. It's worth doing a search for it if you have the time.

And no - the above statments were not direct toward or intended to be a shot at you, Thane of Price Hill.

A list of excellent questions. Ostensibly the aforementioned rules are in place for the safety and enjoyment of guests. Perhaps not enough guests have made it a point to complain to park management when the rules are broken to cause management to increase enforcement.

And with increased enforcement comes increased costs associated with the enforcement which then increases everyone's cost and we all still bit#$.

Do you honestly think the park needs to act like big brother and has to look over everyone's shoulder? If the park didn't care, why would the smoking rules change so much over the last 25 years? You can't expect security to be there everytime someone breaks a rule.

People are going to break the rules. The ones that get caught will be dealt with, the ones that get away with it- their time is coming, and the more they break the rules, the greater chance that they will soon be caught. Until then, speak up when it bothers you, and not to guest relations- but to the person that is breaking the rule.

The first few years were rocky but I've notced the people smoking out of the designated areas has been reduced greatly in the past year or so. I've seen associates inform guests of smoking areas more times than I can count this season.

I will defer to you and your greater number of visits each season and trust that park management has improved their handling of this issue because unfortunately, I haven't been able to visit Kings Island as often this year as I have in the previous two or three.

Ryan, your post was a breath of fresh air. Especially after the comments of a certain few in the Shoot the Rapids thread yesterday.

I love going to parks and many of my fondest memories are from them. There are plenty of things for me to complain about (and I do when I think it will help) but I don't get angry at management or let it get in the way of enjoying the park. People try to cut me in line and I stop them, forget about it and enjoy the day. It's just like having kids. I sure don't like it when my daughter cries and changing diapers is no party but I'm not going to ***** at her or stop liking her. All good has bad... Yin Yang anyone?

Good answer Ryan.

I was going to say because no matter how hard you try, people will break the rules just because they're rules. There are only so many park employees, they can't be everywhere at once to enforce the rules, unfortunately.

It always amazes me how Kings Island can offer so many rides, attractions, live shows etc and yet all that's one some peoples' minds is that very small percentage of people who smoke outside of designated areas and line jumpers. Makes me think that some people either need to 1) take a break from the park and this site or 2) go through their old photo albums and video tapes of them visiting KI as a child... all the fun they had back then... back when little things were irrelevant in comparision to the fact that they got to go to Kings Island that day. One of the biggest reasons why I have distanced, and tried to distance KIC, from some of the mainstream fan club avenues is because it seems like it becomes less of a "let's enjoy Kings Island together" ordeal and more of a "how many laps can I get in during this ERT" ordeal. Everyone has their own cup of tea, but in my opinion that, not unlike the above statement, misses the entire point.

There's a "Why do you love Kings Island?" thread somewhere on the forums. It's worth doing a search for it if you have the time.

And no - the above statments were not direct toward or intended to be a shot at you, Thane of Price Hill.

No offense taken. I cannot remember a single visit to Kings Island in recent years where I did not enjoy my overall experience. Some of my comments could have been phrased better so they had better conveyed my true intent--which was not to denigrate Kings Island or its management, but instead bring to light areas where I feel the park could improve.

I only offer this constructive criticism of Kings Island's enforcement of its rules because I don't experience the same problems when I visit other parks. For example, at Holiday World and Splashin' Safari when you exit the Splashin' Safari water park section and return to the Holiday World area, there's an employee stationed at the gate to remind guests that their swimsuits are not proper attire in Holiday World. Kings Island could very easily do the same thing by requesting that before leaving Boomerang Bay guests must comply with the rules about proper attire in Kings Island. The employees to do this are already stationed at the necessary locations to accomplish this.

In the end, it is a great disappointment to me that these discussions even need to take place. We would not need to worry about the extent of rules enforcement at Kings Island if each guest simply behaved himself or herself. These rules were established not because Kings Island's management wishes to be (as another poster described it) "big brother" but, as I said earlier, to ensure the safety and enjoyment of each guest. If individual guests acted with respect for one another and in accordance with standards of common decency and courtesy, then Kings Island would be free from curbing such distractions that detract from the guests' enjoyment and we as guests would be free to do what we are supposed to do at Kings Island--have fun.

You know, Ryan is right when he says it is important to focus on what you love about Kings Island and not let rule breakers ruin your day. I agree.

However, I can say that I go to about 25 parks or so a year, and I always see more smoking at Kings Island than most anywhere else, and that includes this year. I will also say that during my last visit in July, we had to move THREE times during different parts of the day when we tried to eat outside because smokers were near us and refused to put them out when politely asked. It happened during the same day at the tables on International Street, the tables at La Rosas in Rivertown, and the French Fries place in Rivertown. This was at three different times of the day. I realize that does not happen each time we go, but it was very irritating. I can not enjoy my meal with smoke in my face. I usually just eat in the Festhaus now because of this...

I never let these experiences bother my overall enjoyment of the place, and I still love Kings Island completely. But I wonder why these things NEVER happen to me at Holiday World, or most other parks (except for Six Flags America, which was the worse of all the parks I have attended!) If the people cleaning the tables in these eating areas would at least tell the people to not smoke there, that little gesture would really help. (Perhaps they do this but not when I was there...)

If Ryan says things are better now than the last few years, he would be in a better position to know. I just hope I notice that during my future visits. In any case, I will have a goodtime even if I do not! :)

why cant you smoke on rides?

Because if someone was smoking on a roller coaster, and their lit cigarette flew back, hit and burned me, I'd get thrown out of the park for whooping their ***.

:D

and then Terpy or I would have to represent you in Court and arrange to bail you out of jail! :rolleyes:

Good answer Ryan.

Which is why KI's newly-minted security officer, Kat, will be front and center enforcing the rules! I have her cell number, so I expect to see her after I call to report any line jumpers I see on the rides during my visits this wknd!!

Good answer Ryan.

Which is why KI's newly-minted security officer, Kat, will be front and center enforcing the rules! I have her cell number, so I expect to see her after I call to report any line jumpers I see on the rides during my visits this wknd!!

ROFL!!!! OOOooo.... and then i'll make sure she comes running over to US from DB Gabe, we'll make her earn her keep ;)

She's going to be hazed, I'm sure..lol..i'm actually meeting up with her on sun about 9 at the park before her shift begins at 4 for some rides, so if you're there, come join us! we're meeting at the hearse just to the right of the front gate (assuming its still there). :)