World's Best Kids' Area to Get a Whole New Look in 2010!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironically, I think that it was supposed to be clever - Dorney Park (perhaps other legacy parks, but Dorney is the one I'm sure of) call their Howl-o-Scream Boo Blast, and Cedar Point's Halloweekends features a kid's haunted house called Magical House on Boo Hill. While I'm certainly not saying the ride's re-name is related to, or based on, either, it sure is funny.

But again, think on the bright side: Perhaps within the year (or, month) Merlin or Blackstone will come snooping around, looking for legitimate, popular parks to purchase. Then along comes this smartly designed, intelligent Ohio park that is bubbling over with potential to be, as was once claimed, The Universal of the Midwest. And for that matter, I would die of happiness should our beloved park be rebranded Universal's Kings Island. Comcast and Vivendi and all that crap aside, Universal Parks & Resorts knows how to handle a theme park.

I have this gut feeling that any legitimate theme park owner with an eye on Kings Island would be quick to reverse the damage done by such Cedar Fair gems as "The Drop Tower," "Flight Deck," "Back Lot Stunt Coaster," and the newest member of the family "Boo Blasters on Boo Hill," to name a few... And that is most certainly something to celebrate.

HTCO, as was mentioned earlier, that map on planetsnoopy.com is actually the 2009 map, just with the Planet Snoopy graphic added. How do I know? Check out planetsnoopy.com/kingsdominion and planetsnoopy.com/carowinds and check on their respective park maps. Both of those maps do NOT have Intimidator on them, which indicates they are indeed the 2009 maps and not the 2010 versions.

HTCO, as was mentioned earlier, that map on planetsnoopy.com is actually the 2009 map, just with the Planet Snoopy graphic added. How do I know? Check out planetsnoopy.com/kingsdominion and planetsnoopy.com/carowinds and check on their respective park maps. Both of those maps do NOT have Intimidator on them, which indicates they are indeed the 2009 maps and not the 2010 versions.

Yeah. I was aware of that. I should have stated that in my post. Thanks :)

Why doesn't Kings Island just release everything already? Carowinds and Kings Dominion both have!

Technically, Kings Dominion has not. They've only released the generic names given to their former Hanna-Barbera rides. For example, Scooby Doo's Ghoster Coaster is just "Ghoster Coaster" and Top Cat's Taxi Jam is just Taxi Jam. So they've announced how the old HB Land is melding into KidWorkz, but not how Nick is becoming Planet Snoopy.

Keep in mind that the Nickelodeon Central area at Kings Dominion is much smaller than the area at Kings Island. According to the 2009 park map, there were only about three rides in their Nickelodeon Central area. Everything else at Kings Dominion was themed to Hanna Barbera still, or had a generic theme, and was located in Kidzville. I would imagine that not only will Nick Central be gone this year, but the entire Kidzville area will also be incorporated into Planet Snoopy as well.

That color on Reptar certainly looks orange to me and not red. Which in itself is kind of ironic, since orange and green were the two colors that were featured prominently in Nickelodeon Universe.

I saw that. Seeing the orange and white together reminds me of Nickelodeon and definitely the Nick logo in particular.

Why doesn't Kings Island just release everything already? Carowinds and Kings Dominion both have!

Also got to keep in mind besides the size of our kid’s area, as Robbie mentioned, the other parks may have had more favorable weather since they are a little further south to be ahead with construction. Just a thought?

58306381.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1263860464&Signature=rdPqgVwIlV1wX47XeLueh6uyuJ4%3D

Hmmm ... I wonder what could be going on under the tarp of this ride located in the all-new Planet Snoopy area of Kings Island? There's a lot of noise coming out of there. Construction-type noise!

I don't know what disappoints me more, the extremely cheezy marketing method for a simple Kiddie-Area Retheme, or the fact that the wooden coaster in the background is still Fairly Odd Purple not Beastie Purple and Orange.

My guess, is that they are preparing that ride to receive its new paint job. They can`t properly apply paint when it is cold outside, so the tarp is likely there to help keep a controlled environment. Additionally, look closely at the fence surrounding the ride. Notice that the top and bottom rail that were formerly orange have been painted (or primed) a gray color. Clearly the fence for that ride will be a new color come April.

I fail to see what is terrible about that 'name'...

I think it would be great for all those that are going to judge the 'new names' of the rides to perhaps explain why they think so and maybe offer up their own creative insight as to what a 'good' name would be...

just a thought as its always easier to judge than be judged

Now if all the park ends up doing is ripping out the Scooby Characters and trowing up a Boo Blasters sign out front, I'll be slightly upset.

Gasp! Never! Cedar Fair would never do that to a ride, much less do that to a ride as they approach bankruptcy. Even in this tumultuous time, I'm sure Cedar Fair will show the care and support they've always shown to theme. No worries, I'm sure!

[/sarcasm]

I love the way some big review of Kings Island that's circulating the site from Roller Coaster Philosopher put it: Instead of infusing the rides with their own new personality, they simply provided generic versions of the old names. So people don't say 'Oh, this is Flight Deck'. They say, 'This used to be Top Gun." What I, for one, hear more than anything else is "This used to be Paramount" instead of "This is Cedar Fair."

I think it would be great for all those that are going to judge the 'new names' of the rides to perhaps explain why they think so and maybe offer up their own creative insight as to what a 'good' name would be...

Castle Blasters

The Haunted Castle Adventure

Boo Blasters

Ghastly Blasters

Ghost Attack! (Done in friendly, comic book style signage with Howl-o-Fest characters.)

Howl-O-Blast

Charlie Brown & The Haunted Castle

Boo Blasters of Ghastly Manor

Great Pumpkin: The Ride!

Pumpkin Blasters

Snoopy's Trick-or-Treat Adventure

And I completely agree not to point out a problem unless you have a solution (*cough* Son of Beast haters, yelling "tear it down" doesn't help *cough*). I have always offered alternatives when I mock some of Cedar Fair's more ridiculous names. Boo Blasters on Boo Hill is the same. Make it generic it if you must, but if Flight Deck, Drop Tower, Boo Blasters on Boo Hill, etc. is the best you can come up with, have a fan-submission contest and vote on the top 10 choices via the official site, etc. The prize for the winning submission could be a simple season pass. There ya go! A good name with no spill on the financial record.

Cedar Fair may be bad at themeing, etc. but there's no reason to be bad at naming. Truly, if they had a poll that said "What should Top Gun be renamed?" that particular ride would NOT be named Flight Deck today, and one of us might feel as if we had a real say in the park's transition!

If only they would realize this. And for God's sake, if Flight Deck, BBOBH, Back Lot Stunt Coaster, etc. are the best you can come up with, that's fine! Admit they're not the best and ask for help from the fans. And really, fire the naming staff! I still laugh at the thought of a group of folks (or even one person with any creativity!) sitting together, and Flight Deck is the honest-to-God best they can come up with by the end of the meeting. If that's the case, there needs to be a major staff transition at CFHQ.

Oh I completely agree. There's hardly a committee, and most parks probably have the designers of their rides come up with such names... The Cedar Fair parks have no designers, as they has no themed rides.

Assistant: "Mr. Kinzel, we've got to rename our four rides that used to be called Top Gun."

Kinzel: "We do?"

Assistant: "Yes, sir, at the new parks. The Paramount ones... They're airplane themed roller coasters."

Kinzel: "Heavens, when did this happen? Well, hmm... Maybe... ****pit?"

Assistant: "I don't know that that will work well, Mr. Kinzel."

Kinzel: "Well what's the place where you sit and eat the meal on the airplane?"

Assistant: "Most of us just get pretzels, sir, but you're thinking of the... cabin? fuselage? Err... flight deck?"

Kinzel: "That's the one! Perfect! Have the generic-looking, clearly-mass-produced signs created at once!"

I'm sure a similar discussion happened for each and every renamed ride.

I, for one, will gladly be Cedar Fair's naming committee, for free. Anyone else think Drop Tower should be renamed "This One's a DOOZY" in big, comic-y font?

^^The last sentence made me giggle. It is very possible your conversation took place in some form of that.

^I agree about the logo.

Edit:

KI finally 'announced' (no, not the ride names :() the Planet Snoopy website through their Twitter page:

Planet Snoopy is the place to be in 2010! http://planetsnoopy.com/kingsisland/

Nothing new on the site, but I thought I'd share.

Just passed ki and all I could see is that reptar is being painted orange supports and yellow track. I also could tell that either the avatar character or maybe the actual ride car itself is gone. Also the top of the nick store looks like it's getting ready to be primed. That's all I got just figured I'd let you know.