If Son of Beast gets removed for 2010...

McSalsa

Wow. 3 polls in one day. I'm starting to get back to my old ways here...worse yet, it's a SOB poll about something that hasn't yet happeneed but could- the removal of SOB for 2010. This poll will become irrelevant once the fate of SOB is revealed, but due to all the speculation, I figured this one would be interesting to say the least. ;) I've also added a 2nd poll, what if it stays?

My reaction: I would be FURIOUS. Why? I never even got to ride the darn thing! If it does re-open, however, I would perfer to see some major "upgrades" in the offseason.

Enjoy the poll. Or click back. And yes, there is some humor here too. :P

(Puts up Anti-Flame shield)

For question #2, if "overhauled" means it was no longer causing blunt-force trauma, then I would be happy if it reopened. If it had the same results as past overhauls, then no, I wouldn't like to see that happen. Smooth or nothing.

OK...how about this scenario, Son of Beast re-opens, and is as smooth as front seat of blue train in back(and that much better in front?)

Would that be acceptable(I think so)? Though let's be honest, it re-opens, we would LIKE it to be only a tiny bit rough(just to be a woodie, of course)

I'll be even more honest, I would not mind if while they were fixing the roughness issues, they added tunnels to both helixes, or at least the Rose Bowl. And if they made the supports strong enough, re-installed the loop. Then, instead of SOB being predictable(another critisicm it gets, only surpassed by roughness) you go flying through a dark tunnel at 70+ mph and then wham, a loop. ;)

However, it could just be a dream...

Thinking about this, there should probably be a whole topic about how to go about overhauling SOB if it happens...

I normally rode in the front row (red or blue). That was my favorite seat on SoB because the first drop is so awesome in that seat. I could still ride it comfortably in any row, but the front was my favorite.

I would love if they added tunnels to Son of Beast!(if it ever reopens).

This is kinda off-topic but it came to mind...there's an old saying:

"You don't know much you care about something until it's gone"

This seems to apply to KI rides. Remember King Cobra, the stand-up coaster everyone wants back (or a new, similar ride)? When it was still operating, it was mostly hated. This also seems to be happening with SOB...if SOB is removed, I imagine there will be quite a few people begging KI to build another Wooden Hypercoaster shortly afterwords.

Back on topic...

Angie (gigacoaster) said she hated Son of Beast until me and Ashley (Ashers) got her drunk enough to give it another chance in the front seat because she had never tried it in that row with the new trains. She came back into the station and said she liked it!

Maybe that's why I'm in the minority on this site about the issue of Son of Beast becasue almost every time I rode it, I rode in the best row (row #1) Which seems to be the most enjoyable row on the ride, smoothness wise and view wise!

No no I'm not going back on topic lol! That's really true. But I did not know that King Cobra was hated. Now I want to ride it badly though.

http://www.coastergrotto.com/park.jsp?argId=21

This coastergrotto, a web site where users can rate roller coasters they have ridden and keep track of their track records(I am a member there, I suggest signing up BTW). Look at the rating for King Cobra. A 6. Not exactly the best ride in the world. Son of Beast fares better, with the average user rating of 7.4.

PS: Off topic, but Diamondback is awesome and this seems to show it. A 9.5 out of 10 average! It's ranked #7 in the world on this site...

Second PS: Wow, just noticed the site has 4 news articles related to SOB on the link...wow. The only other one is about DB. Wait, where is the Firehawk is coming in '07 news!?!?

I know there are some people who absolutely love the ride and there are some people who hate it, but here's my take:

The ride wasn't unbearably rough, but it also wasn't that spectacular. It was kind of a footnote of a ride. I never found it particularly thrilling.

Now, if they make major renovations to it and make it smooth and enjoyable then that's great. Who could argue with that. On the other hand, if they remove it I'll be sad in the fact that I hate to see any ride removed but it certainly won't be the end of the world for me.

Here's KI's options:

1. Reopen the ride with no modifications made.

2. Overhaul the ride, including retracking, trim brakes, and reprofiling.

3. Remove the ride.

Here are the pros of each:

1. Less money spent.

2. Could improve the ride experience.

3. The ride will no longer be a problem for the park.

Here are the cons of each:

1. Will most likely cause a future lawsuit.

2. Expensive.

3. Could impact attendance.

This is kinda off-topic but it came to mind...there's an old saying:

"You don't know much you care about something until it's gone"

This seems to apply to KI rides. Remember King Cobra, the stand-up coaster everyone wants back (or a new, similar ride)? When it was still operating, it was mostly hated. This also seems to be happening with SOB...if SOB is removed, I imagine there will be quite a few people begging KI to build another Wooden Hypercoaster shortly afterwords.

Back on topic...

Hmmm, don't think that I ever heard anyone say that they hated the ride when it was operating.

I don't think this site will have any problem if SoB is removed.

As for the poll... I am far from being a fan of the ride. I don't "hate" it, but I won't ride it. It's just too rough. I'm very tall, which means my legs take a good beating every time I ride. Ouch. But at the same time, it's a giantt investment in the park, and seeing it go would mean that a lot of capital is being spent on ride removal, rather than ride addition. So yes, I almost hate to see it go. If it opens back up next year, I'll be very happy. I hope there's a solution somewhere that involves minimal spending and includes some ROI. But I just don't see it happening.

In the end, I essentially think that SoB is one of the bigger mistakes in recent Amusement Parks.

The ride wasn't unbearably rough, but it also wasn't that spectacular. It was kind of a footnote of a ride. I never found it particularly thrilling.

Now, if they make major renovations to it and make it smooth and enjoyable then that's great. Who could argue with that. On the other hand, if they remove it I'll be sad in the fact that I hate to see any ride removed but it certainly won't be the end of the world for me.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I personally would love to see SOB go through a GG or GCI overhaul.

i have been riding SOB for years with 2 herniated discs in my neck. it never gave me any problems.

after the last "overhaul", i felt it was smoother than The Beast. The Beast is extremely rough, but

no one complains. the only thing wrong with SOB is that it has become a frivilous lawsuit target.

i say we change the name and watch it's reputation change.

"if you can't run with the big dogs, stay in Planet Snoopy."