HALLOWEEN HAUNT 2009

thatbandguy8807

If I may recommend the Dent Schoolhouse, which is up for the "Best 13 haunted houses in America" award this year. Harrison Road, I guarantee that you will have a frightenly good time!

Who gives out this award? In either case, this is one haunt in the area I've never been to, and I'm hoping to go this year.

Hauntworld Magazine is the one who does the Best Haunted Houses in America awards:

http://www.hauntworld.com/featured_article...ted_houses_2009

They and Fangoria are the two leading publications when it comes to all things Horror and Halloween-related. In fact, Fangoria is sponsoring two haunted houses for Universal's Halloween Horror Nights - The Spawning and Leave It To Cleaver.

EDIT: I also find it interesting that Ohio has the most (three) attractions in the list (Dead Acres, Dent Schoolhouse, and Akron's Haunted Schoolhouse). I wonder/hope if the new Screampark in Lexington will make the list next year.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from Haunt. It's real nice, if you enjoy that kind of stuff. I don't, so I have a bit of a biased opinion. Still, the atmosphere of the park was done wonderfully spooky and the scare actors did a good job.

And on the subject of fog, it was a bit isolated to some areas, occasionally it spread around. It did't go near Diamondback unfortunately, but it did a good job of hiding other rides.

Just got back myself. The atmosphere was really nice! I didn't get to go through anything because I kind of have a early wake up call tomorrow morning. But I'm going tomorrow with some friends and I'll be sure to report back my ideas and thoughts on the new haunts and such.

i have a question about the soundtrack...

where do they get that extremely creepy music?

the "im a ballerina"- parody of im a little teacup, was so creepy and unusual...

btw good scares all friday night!

especially the guy witht the waste can, The Bat looking demon thing, and the guy with the animal bone mask

they all got me good :)

So anyone else just a little tired of every new haunt relying far too much on gore? It just seems that ever since the name change its been gore, gore, gore. Club Blood was the first, and it was original (not my cup of tea but I completely agree that its well done for what it is) Urgent Scare (which by the way is improved this year) is also extemely well done, I dont understand why every zombie has blood all over the place but it works, however this year I think we have reached a breaking point. Cut Throat Cove is Blackbeards + gore and the results are meh. A lot of it has to do with the change in locals (there are next to no good hiding places in there and the walkway is too straight and too narrow) but I really dont think Pirates anything else to be scary, torture chambers and hanging heads? The former Pirates had no use for, and the latter is what the British and Spanish did to Pirates.

This brings us to Slaughterhouse, which before I get a bit negative I do have to say that the way this maze is set up (technically great hiding spots and gags) and the actors in there were fantastic, however the theme was lame, unoriginal and felt like the same old same old. More gore, and for fun lets have half of the maze smell like manure, yay! Just because the haunt is a "mature event" does not mean that every single maze should rely heavliy on gore and grossouts to achieve scares. Year in, year out, Massacre Manor and the Trail of Terror seem to be the favorites of most people there (followed by CarnEvil) which are some of the lightest on the gore, they have it they just dont rely on it. Personally, gore does nothing for me, it doesnt gross me out nor does scare me (I deal with it at my job everyday) I want to be startled, suspense is much more important. I really hope that next year the new mazes go in a little different direction. Its been a real long time since a monster maze was done (Vampires dont really count for me as they are very humanoid and really more about gore) bring on an Alien maze, or an Island of Dr. Moreau, something like that. The Haunt has enough gore for the time being.

Ok so I was trying to post this in another thread....but apparently it got deleted before I could, but I just wanted to get my opinion out there for all the people arguing out there. My triumphant return. Hehehehe.

*starts the slow clap*

Ryan-I agree with everything you have said in this thread....glad some people are finally speaking up about certain things on this site!

I totally agree with you on the WLWT story...if they had not aired it the way they did, there wouldn't have been NEARLY as many complaints, and I bet the display wouldn't have been taken out! Oh well, bottom line is, there are always going to be those people out there that have to try and whine and complain about everything. These people cannot be pleased. These are probably the same people that complained about the free Diamondback t-shirts not being good enough, that the rides KI has aren't good enough, that the events at Ride Warriors sucked, blah blah blah blah blah. These people will never EVER change.

Halloween Haunt is what it is, and it doesn't get advertised as anything different. They tell you that it's going to be more intense and have more of a shock factor, then it probably is, so let's see, don't take your kids and don't go if you think you'll get offended. It's not like they didn't warn you about it ahead of time. Hmm let's say you pay to get into an R rated horror movie...do you expect to see nudity? Gore? Blood? Violence? Yep....because you probably saw a preview and know what to expect. You people that are coming to HH, or taking your kids there are acting like you just waltzed into the movie theater expecting to see Barney doing the limbo down Sesame Street and got Michael Myers hacking a blonde to pieces with a bloody kitchen knife instead. Let's grow up people, seriously. And I agree with the "if you don't like it, then don't go". You don't go see concerts of bands that you hate. You don't go see movies with actors that you dislike. Why go to an advertised adult oriented Halloween attraction if you are pure of heart/mind/soul and can't be subjected to such violence and filth? Just stay home.

~Ash

the "im a ballerina"- parody of im a little teacup, was so creepy and unusual...

btw good scares all friday night!

especially the guy witht the waste can, The Bat looking demon thing, and the guy with the animal bone mask

they all got me good :)

Thanks, I'll let the "bat looking demon" know he is doing a good job. His name is Kronos btw. Next time you see him, say hi.

Ashley, I freaking love you! LOL! You hit the nail right on the head with that post, and I completely agree with you.

Thanks Justin, I do what I can.;) It probably sounded more heated than necessary, but as I said I was replying in a different thread. But I couldn't just leave my "Barney doing the limbo down Sesame Street" unposted, that would be blasphemous.

~Ash

I have a question about Haunt.

First let me say, Ashers, great response. It was nice to read a real argument in favor of the Haunt, rather than a don't like it, don't go.

The analogy I read, is about gore and blood being in an R rated movie is expected, so it should be expected at HH as well.

I have read on KI's site that the haunt is for mature audiences. I think it's great that they put that on their website.

No one should be able to go in, and say it was too much anything. My concern is more about being a parent.

If I drop my car load of teenagers off at the movies, they can't get in to an R rated movie.

If I drop off a car load of teenagers to HH, can they get in?

If so, the R rating argument does not apply. I have no idea if they are carding kids, but if they are behind their stance that it is for mature audiences, they should be.

Now if a parent decides to go through, either haunt, or a movie, they can make the choice about their kids going, letting the park off the hook.

I love Halloween, I think it's a great deal to get all those haunts, plus rides for one price, instead of going to a local haunted house and getting one trip through for 12 bucks!

I don't typically go to Halloween Haunt, but this year, I am considering taking my oldest daughter, for no other reason than to get a DB night ride, and a Beast night ride on the same visit.

I also want to say, it was my fault for the other topic getting deleted. I don't want everybody getting on Ryan for deleting it, if they don't know why. I was upset about the profanity in one of the post's. I was thinking that it would lead to more obscene name calling, and causing the thread to spiral out of control, and causing hard feeling across the board. My thinking caused me to send a formal complaint about the use of language.

I have a lot of friends that I have made on this site. We don't always agree on our views of the park, but through it all, we can remain friends after disagreeing. When the name calling starts, that can ruin friendships, and I would hate to see that happen here. So it was my fault the thread was deleted. If you must be mad, be mad at me.

fyi i hate that song lol but you can look it up on youtube. that ones called "Clowns and Ballerinas" but its remixed in the park :)

So anyone else just a little tired of every new haunt relying far too much on gore? It just seems that ever since the name change its been gore, gore, gore. Club Blood was the first, and it was original (not my cup of tea but I completely agree that its well done for what it is) Urgent Scare (which by the way is improved this year) is also extemely well done, I dont understand why every zombie has blood all over the place but it works, however this year I think we have reached a breaking point. Cut Throat Cove is Blackbeards + gore and the results are meh.

Pirates is one of the few mazes that has no blood as part of their make up actually ;)

Halloween Haunt is what it is, and it doesn't get advertised as anything different. They tell you that it's going to be more intense and have more of a shock factor, then it probably is, so let's see, don't take your kids and don't go if you think you'll get offended. It's not like they didn't warn you about it ahead of time. Hmm let's say you pay to get into an R rated horror movie...do you expect to see nudity? Gore? Blood? Violence? Yep....because you probably saw a preview and know what to expect. You people that are coming to HH, or taking your kids there are acting like you just waltzed into the movie theater expecting to see Barney doing the limbo down Sesame Street and got Michael Myers hacking a blonde to pieces with a bloody kitchen knife instead. Let's grow up people, seriously. And I agree with the "if you don't like it, then don't go". You don't go see concerts of bands that you hate. You don't go see movies with actors that you dislike. Why go to an advertised adult oriented Halloween attraction if you are pure of heart/mind/soul and can't be subjected to such violence and filth? Just stay home.

~Ash

You. Are. Amazing. LOL this is exactly what i've been trying to put into words for quite awhile.

and Tomkatt, there are plenty of kids who are more mature when it comes to this. Take Peanut for instance. She saw me and started roaring right back at me. :) I've seen the same with Beatle's kids as well last year. There are some kids who can handle it, and i love that! But i agree there are those kids.... mind you just friday night i now have 7 homecoming and 2 prom dates with ppl i have no clue who they are mind you. those kids annoy me

You. Are. Amazing. LOL this is exactly what i've been trying to put into words for quite awhile.

and Tomkatt, there are plenty of kids who are more mature when it comes to this. Take Peanut for instance. She saw me and started roaring right back at me. :) I've seen the same with Beatle's kids as well last year. There are some kids who can handle it, and i love that! But i agree there are those kids.... mind you just friday night i now have 7 homecoming and 2 prom dates with ppl i have no clue who they are mind you. those kids annoy me

Haha Rach. Thanks, I know! ;) It's all true, though! And I completely agree, we need a Doll Factory at KI, that was so awesome at CP! Even though I freaked out and you all laughed at me.....*sigh* ;)

~Ash

so I have a question...and it may have already been answered but I didn't see it. If so sorry.

Anyway, the back of my season pass for 09 says not valid for "fearfest"/ Halloween Haunt. But, the haunt site says season passes work...I am confused. Does that mean I get in free with my regular season pass or what?