Wizarding World of Harry Potter Attractions Finally Announced

My family is supposed to go to Florida next spring during spring break. I hope they can get the project complete sooner rather then later because I want to go to WWHP. Also, I have been wanting to ride Dueling Dragons for quite a while now, and I won't since they are closed and if the project isn't completed until after we come back. I can see it opening a couple weeks after we leave Florida to come back home.

Edit: See also: Potterland?. It was started a couple years ago and has news stories. Also, it has current news stories and discussion. :)

Guest TombraiderTy
Flight of the Hippogriffe? Dragon Challenge?

Did they hire a naming person from Cedar Fair?

"The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man" or "Jurassic Park River Adventure" aren't very creative either ;)

Guest TombraiderTy
I wanted to see the Weasly's joke shop, Zonko's sucks.

And not many good rides. Only 2 new rides? I was expecting more. (this is assuming Dueling Dragons is Dragon Challenge)

Weasley's store is in Diagon Alley, not Hogsmeade... Also, I'm willing to bet Zonko's will mainly just sell generic Harry Potter merchandise, as would the Weasley gift-shop.

And only one new ride actually- Flying Unicorn is being reworked into the Flight of the Hippogriff. However, I expect Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey to be a very-high-quality attraction- much better than various mediocre rides they could've added instead.

From what's been rumored for quite a while, the Harry Potter Forbidden Journey attraction is set to re-revolutionize dark rides the same way Spiderman did back in '99, albeit in a completely different manner.

Without spoiling anything, take The Simpsons Ride and literally put it on a roller coaster. :)

Guest TombraiderTy

^I am extremely excited for the new Harry Potter ride- robot-arms swinging guests around, giant projections, massive props and effects... Of course, this is all just rumors ;)

I'm also looking forwards to Transformers: The Ride in 2011 (?) at Universal Studios Hollywood. I heard that'll be the same ride-system as The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man, but it'll have some very-large animatronics and a scene filled with various fire effects, amongst other things.

I like the Harry Potter idea for Dueling Dragons! I've never been there, but I think the idea of that is great. The only thing I thought is the Harry Potter area would expand Universal, and add a totally different area - instead of adding on to Islands of Adventure (or using part of it).

Guest TombraiderTy

^I would hope they raise the capcity to at least four-per-arm, and hopefully more than one arm per a train. Otherwise, lines for it will be horribly long... not that the queue won't definitely be interesting :)

I like the Harry Potter idea for Dueling Dragons! I've never been there, but I think the idea of that is great. The only thing I thought is the Harry Potter area would expand Universal, and add a totally different area - instead of adding on to Islands of Adventure (or using part of it).

Uhh. Islands of Adventure is a theme park. They are adding onto one the 'lands' within the park. Also, when I first heard about it, it was going to be a new 'land' but just be on the edge of another. I don't know what the layout is as I've never been there.

Guest TombraiderTy

^Disneyland and Magic Kingdom are the two best examples of a wheel-and-spokes design. In theory, you head-down the opening area to the center of the park. From here, you can go into any of the lands that extend-out of the center (the spokes of the wheel). This allows for parents to relax in the center while their kids have fun elsewhere in the park, and a central area makes for a great meeting spot- in theory. In reality, this center area is often extremely crowded, especially during parades and shows (not to mention the fireworks...). However, it does allow for quick and easy access from one land to another. While it's more of a hassle to walk around half a park to get from one land to another at Islands of Adventure (if they're across the lake, that is), I love the lake's presence- it's very nice, and compliments all the rides, buildings, and themeing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Haven't seen anyone post any updates here recently, however previews of Wizarding World of Harry Potter have been taking place this week with both Team Members and those attending the 2010 Pow Wow getting to experience parts of the new area. A few things:

* Forbidden Journey was NOT open for any of these events, however they were allowed to tour the que line. I've heard rumblings that they are having several issues regarding the ride system at this time....though a soft opening could still take place relatively soon with the ride operating at limited capacity. As far as what those problems are, we may never really know, but its being said that there have been serious programming issues with some of the vehicles as well as issues getting audio to work on some of them as well. With Grand Opening now less than one month away, I hope that any issues start to iron themselves out....otherwise we'll be looking at a repeat of Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit. Not only that, but Universal has been selling Wizarding World of Harry Potter Vacation Packages that are slated to begin on May 28th! Seeing first hand how the Kuka system operates at Epcot, its hard to imagine this thing because its on such a larger scale than the standard Kuka arms. Also, OTSR's on this and from what people are saying they are very tight and confined...a lot of people aren't fitting in the test seat located out front.

* I'm disappointed in hearing more and more about Dragons Challenge.....as it seems they have possibly ruined one of my all time favorite que lines. I've been through the lower half of the que (from about where the large double doors are that you could hear the dragons behind) since they closed the ride back in February....there is absolutely NO theming from that point all the way to the loading area.

* It would seem that the star of the entire area is Hogsmeade. The shops are tiny, very very tiny, but extremely detailed. Lots of debate about Ollivander's at the moment and how the wand choosing will work. So far for the previews, they've let groups of about 20 people in and ONE person has a wand choose them. It seems more and more that Ollivander's will be marketed more as an attraction to the area than shopping experience. Of course, everyone will have the opportunity to purchase a wand upon exiting the shop.

* Everyone is raving about Butterbeer and anything coming out of the Three Broomsticks

* The entire area and Hogwarts is absolutely stunning at night.

Over at orlandounited.com several have posted detailed reviews of each of the shops within Hogsmeade. I recommend going over and taking a peek!

Video of HP Actors Touring WWoHP

- Todd

Very few people have ridden the Forbidden Journey. From what I understand, the five actors that were there and a couple or so dozen Team Members have actually rode it. They're trying to keep it top secret from dang near everyone, so I don't know how they're going to be able to hide spoilers about the ride from people once AP packages start next week (or, for that matter, whenever softs start which may start tomorrow).

On the vehicles, they showed a very brief three seconds of both the vehicle and the 'Magic Carpet' loading floor (think a giant treadmill) and they have done a tremendous job of hiding the massive, and I mean, MASSIVE robotic arm that's connected to the car (themed to enchanted benches). They can reach heights of up to 25 feet and I believe they move horizontally about as fast as Spider-Man (which, if you've ever ridden it, it can move pretty quickly).

And as for the ride itself, it's a hodgepodge of the books/films leading up to Order of the Phoenix. Confirmed encounters include:

• the Whomping Willow (Rupert Grint was quoted as saying it was a giant AA prop and was originally rumored to have moving KUKA arms as a few large branches swatting at guests but was merely a blue sky idea)
  • Acromantulas (giant spiders in the Potterverse) and especially Aragog (Hagrid's pet spider of whom he had to let loose into the Forbidden Forest)
  • Quidditch (the main storyline involves watching a game of Quidditch and supposedly begins and ends with it)
  • the Chamber of Secrets and the Basilisk (a giant snake capable of turning enemies into stone)
  • Dementors (the hooded black figures from Prisoner of Azkaban and OotP that steal souls)

Taking a closer look at the Forbidden Journey, it looks awesome! I had no idea what it was, besides a dark ride.

For those who don't know, it's a Kukacoaster that runs on a track! Sounds amazing!

Indeed! Earlier on many, including myself, wondered if this attraction would have as much impact on people as Spiderman did when it opened. The more we continue to learn about it, I think the answer is going to undoubtedly be yes! It hasn't been confirmed, but there has been a little buzz going around pertaining to certain effects being attached to the cars themselves....which could make for some very startling surprises. I'm quite interested to see exactly how the loading procedure will go down. Some team members got to see the loading area last night for the last night of TM previews, like RingMaster posted, its amazing how well they've hidden the main arm. Just like the other major attractions on property, no loose articles are permitted. With that said, people will want to take pictures of the que so reportedly there are pouches underneath that are big enough to put a few small items in....but interestingly enough not large enough for loose fitting shoes such as flip-flops. Given the ride is floorless and the motions that this system of capable of, that's going to be a challenge to keep your shoes for sure :-)

- Todd

So will this dark ride be more of an intense ride, or a smaller not as intense ride meant to everyone?

It will be a letdown to fans if the ride isnt sutable for people not looking for thrills.