Petting Zoo Added to Howl-O-Fest

BoddaH1994

Since Cedar Point has experience with animals and kids, I am not concerned. I otherwise would be. There are many reasons, most of which I will not go into here, that most parks have abandoned petting zoos. Holiday World is a prominent example. And Michigan's Adventure got its start as a deer park.

I just hope the park is doing this itself or is going with a very experienced vendor.

There actually is more than a little possibility that that group would see this as exploiting animals. They certainly got involved at Six Flags over the kockroach eating thing during Fright Fest, but then the roaches were far more committed than would be a goat being petted, not that that seems to make any difference to some of those people, who have gone so far as to insist, unsuccessfully, that animals in zoos be allowed to wear diapers to protect their modesty.

EDIT: Now darn it, you edited your post, which originally said:

"People Eating Tasty Animals"

I'm leaving mine....

There actually is more than a little possibility that that group would see this as exploiting animals. They certainly got involved at Six Flags over the kockroach eating thing during Fright Fest, but then the roaches were far more committed than would be a goat being petted, not that that seems to make any difference to some of those people, who have gone so far as to insist, unsuccessfully, that animals in zoos be allowed to wear diapers to protect their modesty.

EDIT: Now darn it, you edited your post, which originally said:

"People Eating Tasty Animals"

I'm leaving mine....

woopsie lol.

I could totally picture PETA if they manage to grab the killer whales at SeaWorld, fly them over the ocean and start dropping them from the planes all willy-nilly and cackling like madmen "BE FREEEE, FUH-FREEEEE" then the captive borns will try to make friends with a shark and get killed.

That actually crossed my mind last year when PETA announced they thought about aquiring the parks x.x

It could be worse. In Great Britain, for example:

It's always a highlight of the autumn when the Hogalogue, the Christmas catalogue of the British Hedgehog Preservation Society, drops through the door, as it did last week. Not so much for the merchandise – there are only so many hedgehog stickers, keyrings, mousemats and soft toys one can take – but as a reminder of one of the country's most idiosyncratic, but effective, green pressure groups.

With it comes the newsletter, and there is nothing quite like it. "How hedgehogs can save the world!" shouts one headline in the current issue (though the secret is never divulged). There's the story of a rescued but "incredibly grumpy" beast called Jaws, "possibly the stinkiest hedgehog we have ever met", and a letter from a member who has "nightmares" about baby hedgehogs being stuck in loo pipes....

Eccentrically British? Possibly. But the society, just 12,000 strong, is a giant killer. It forced McDonald's to spend a fortune changing the shape of its McFlurry dessert containers (hedgehogs got their heads stuck in them) and stopped the Scottish authorities mounting a cull (to protect rare wading birds) on the island of Uist.

Its latest campaign is to persuade people to cut small holes in hedges to let the animals through. That is a nice reversal of the one-liner with which comedian Dan Antopolski won the prize for the funniest joke at the Edinburgh Festival: "Hedgehogs. Why can't they just share the hedge?"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthcomm...rrys-shape.html

By the way, this is the type of thing that has Terpy rolling in the floor emitting great heaves of laughter!

I get to pet all the dogs that guests leave in the kennel for me to watch and care for. I remember back in the 90's, a guest brought in a goat with their dog, who were the best of friends. The goat was very cute and was munching on a bown of corn all day long. Now the pig brought in was a really a porker and stubbon as heck. I said to it, "move or you are bacon!" :rolleyes: A petting zoo would be really good for the kids to get to know all the various animals.

One way or another, I'm seeing PETA getting involved with the Haunt in some shape or form... :mellow:

But I do remember last year Mr. Cowpie brought a goat, skunk, and parrot along during his show for Howl-O-Fest. Wonder if he'll be making a return this season.

EDIT: To go along with Bombay's post:

"In Soviet Russia, animal pets YOU!"

I get to pet all the dogs that guests leave in the kennel for me to watch and care for. I remember back in the 90's, a guest brought in a goat with their dog, who were the best of friends. The goat was very cute and was munching on a bown of corn all day long. Now the pig brought in was a really a porker and stubbon as heck. I said to it, "move or you are bacon!" :rolleyes: A petting zoo would be really good for the kids to get to know all the various animals.

I've been meaning to ask that for awhile...where is the kennel? I don't think I've ever seen it...

The official tweet from the park says:

# A petting zoo has been added to the fun for children at HOWL-O-FEST this year. The immensely popular HOWL-O-FEST begins September 27.4:09 PM Sep 18th from web

Then again...this is from the same company that at first said you wouldn't get wet on Cedar Point's new attraction...and that represented there would be a tennis match in the Royal Fountain.

Kings Island, where else?

# A petting zoo has been added to the fun for children at HOWL-O-FEST this year. The immensely popular HOWL-O-FEST begins September 27.4:09 PM Sep 18th from web

Then again...this is from the same company that at first said you wouldn't get wet on Cedar Point's new attraction...and that represented there would be a tennis match in the Royal Fountain.

Lmao , yes i was expecting a FULL BLOWN tennis Match with full size court.

Yep, Nothing about real animals.... Just might be Snoopy, Woodstock and Don.

maybe its gonna be a large assortment of stuffed animals with lots of fur to pett.

Yep, Nothing about real animals.... Just might be Snoopy, Woodstock and.....

Doubt it. I doubt Cedar Fair paid for the Snoopy license for 2009 at the former Paramount Parks. In addition, I would suspect this would violate the terms of the existing Nick license if it were in Nick Universe.

...Don.

Doubt it. HOWL-O-FEST is not supposed to be scary!

Since Cedar Point has experience with animals and kids, I am not concerned. I otherwise would be. There are many reasons, most of which I will not go into here, that most parks have abandoned petting zoos. Holiday World is a prominent example. And Michigan's Adventure got its start as a deer park.

I just hope the park is doing this itself or is going with a very experienced vendor.

Does anyone remember Jungle Larry and Safari Jane at CP? They used to have an animal preserve where Power Tower is now.

There is a very pretty black kitty kat with a cute white stripe down its back that that lives in the park and would just love to have you pet it. And it would be glad to reward you with a nice squirt of its well known perfume scent! :P Also, don't forget all the raccon's that lives and dines at the dumpsters behind the river town pizza at night. Rocky and his friends would just love to have you feed them.

Which brings up a very interesting question. In the park itself, I have seen raccoons, skunks, deer and even an occasional muskrat or opossum. I have never, ever seen a domesticated dog or cat loose in the park itself, though. Has anyone here? And if you were working at the park at the time, what was done about it and how?

I have not seen any domesticated dogs or cats, other than the colony of ferrel cats that live in the park. When I lived in Kings Mills, we used to be popular for families to drop of their pets that they did not want. Speaking of which, we rescued a 6 week old kitty a couple weeks ago that must had been seperated from its mother, a ferrel cat that lives in the park. It was brought to me and I placed in in our cat cage inside the kennel. I gave it some cat food and water and it went to town with it. It was later adopted by one of our co-workers and she gave it a nice home. We also rescued an injured herring (bird) and also placed it inside the kennel. I called a bird rescue group and they came the next day for it. It was later turned loose and is doing just fine. If you look closely, you will see all kinds of wild animals at the park. Most of them come out at night, just like the raccoons. There is a family of squirls that have claimed the area around the picnic tables outside the front gate and in front of the kennel. They feast on the left overs that the guests leave on the ground.