beast built in two parts

IcarusLives

Allright, this has been racking my brain for some time. Does anyone know if The Beast was built in two seperate parts? I could have sworn I saw commercials about how The Beast has gotten bigger about two years after it's initial opening (meaning the second lift was added). I could be just imagining things so if I am wrong, please let me have it. But it anybody has any info on a "staggered" opening of The Beast, let me know.

Or if anybody remembers the commercial of The Beast(which was like a sketchy drawing animation style), let me know if there was anything in the commercial that might make me think this.

Actually, there was a change made to The Beast for the 1980 season. Originally, there were two underground tunnels after the brake shed and before the second lift. However, for the 1980 season, a wooden tunnel was added between the two tunnels combing them. Also, the double helix wasn`t originally enclosed in a tunnel. Originally, it had a roof, but there were no walls on it as there are today. In some old pictures, you can see the un-enclosed helix.

Correct, so the commercials or whatever that you probably saw were saying that it got bigger, as in the tunnels are bigger. If you ride during a really bright day, in the tunnel after the brakes you can see the light shining between the boards they used to enclose the two underground tunnels.

i love the tunnels on The Beast except for the fact that THEY'RE SO FRICKIN LOUD !!!

Well, what do you expect when you have a train full of screaming passengers going 60 MPH through a tunnel that is made of concrete? I personally think the loudness of the tunnels simply add to the excitement and "out of control" feeling to the ride.

Funny someone mentions the loudness of the SOB chaindogs (they say chain in the post but its really the antiroll back device springing down). Before the ride ever opened, back during the time of the original media preview (the first one, which was canceled cause they delayed the ride).. I was setting up for the catered lunch and all when they test the ride. We were inside a building and didn't know what was going on, we though it was a really loud helicopter that kept flying by. So just imagine, the entire park being dead quiet except for the SOB lift hill... you can hear it everywhere in and out of the park.