What if Cedar Fair...

McSalsa

A bizzare idea has just popped into my head as I was thinking about Kings Island. I thought of this...

www46.jpg

(Yes the picture is from this site)

An idea popped into my head: what if KI, and the other Cedar Fair parks, did this will almost ALL of the rides? For example...

"The Beast, presented by Snickers!"

"Coca-Cola is proud to bring you, Diamondback!"

"Millennium Force...sponsored by Taco Bell."

etc etc etc...

Possible advantages of this...

Cedar Fair would be able to cut back on prices and still be able to make a profit (cheaper food)

They could also talk the companies into paying for the rides upkeep ("Hehehehe, we can turn the trim brakes on Beast off now because those suckers at Snickers are paying for it...)

They could hire more workers (and upkeep rides better)

More new rides (and more sponsors for said rides, which means more $!)

Disadvantages...

Do you REALLY want to see "The Beast, presented by Snickers!?!?"

Signs everywhere!!! AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

Restraunts like LaRosa's could be ousted by places like Pizza Hut just for sponsorship money

If you don't like polls, click back. I think this could be my WEIRDEST poll yet, which explains question #2... :lol: (Yes, there is some humor here)

Anyhow, Enjoy. ;)

PS: Are there ANY companies out there that would be stupid/desperate enough to sponsor Son of Beast or The Crypt?

Double PS: I would like to see anyone use paint/photoshop/etc. to show what some of KI's ride signs might look like if this did happen...not needed, but it would be kind of funny...

...They could also talk the companies into paying for the rides upkeep ("Hehehehe, we can turn the trim brakes on Beast off now because those suckers at Snickers are paying for it...)...

That made this weird poll totally worth it. :lol: And it made me chuckle.

I would totally enjoy the lower prices. Also, yes, this is your weirdest poll yet. :)

Sponsorships would not necessarily mean lower food prices.

Also, keep in mind that most major attractions at Disney World are in fact sponsored by corporations. One that I can think of off the top of my head is Test Track at EPCOT, which is sponsored by GM. I also believe that Spaceship Earth is currently sponsored by Siemens. Disney uses these corporate sponsorships of attractions to help foot the initial capital investment of these attractions, since many of them are so capital heavy. I could see Cedar Fair trying a similar approach on new attraction installs over the years. But it would not be on the same scale as at Disney. For starters, the attractions at Disney World can cost millions more than attractions at seasonal amusement parks. Secondly, like the GM sponsorship, there is generally some advantage for GM having the sponsorship. In the case of Test Track, GM gets a show room in the exit area to show off their latest cars. (I do believe that there has been some news lately about whether or not GM is going to renew the sponsorship of Test Track given GMs bankruptcy proceedings.)

Is this really that weird of an idea - anyone know the details of all the licensing agreements for the Intimidator roller coasters at Carrowinds and Kings Dominion?

And I know that Terpy (or someone else) will answer this question "Yes, someone knows" and that it is unlikely that the general public will ever be privy to those details. I'm only trying to show that current events indicate a move in a more commercial direction with rides at CF this year.

Now that is a very cleverly worded post! Kudos!

I`d venture to say, that the Intimidator coasters aren`t really a sponsorship agreement as much as they are a licensing agreement. Yes, they do tap the NASCAR theme, and are sport the Dale Earnhardt name and endorsement. But I just don`t see DEI (Dale Earnhardt, Inc.) paying Cedar Fair to use their trademarks. Cash likely flowed in the other direction. But that is just my thoughts on that matter.

The Pet Day Care Center used to be sponsored by Iam's pet food with a sign above the center saying such. With this sponsorship, there was no fee for the guests to board their pets at the kennel. We would make up a doggie/cat bag for the guests and give it to them when they leave at the end of the day. We even had a bin full of dog biscuits for the dogs to munch on. In those doggie/cat bags, we would put samples of Iam's pet food, dog biscuits and coupons for the guests. The ideal was for the guests to buy Iam's pet food. We constantly had at least 3/4's of our cages filled, which was when we still had the camp grounds. But after Iam's was purchased by P&G and shortly afterwards, the sponsorship was ended and a fee was charged to use the kennel.

Kings Island always had sponsorship's and there is nothing wrong with it.

Originally the park had many sponsors: Marathon, Firestone, P&G, Kahn's, Sherwin-Williams, and Kodak to name a few. Most attractions (Shows and entertainment) and some rides had sponsors, so there is nothing new about this at all. It would be interesting to see who would be interested in sponsorship today though.

Sponsorships do not cut down on costs but they are done for the marketing of their product. As for naming rights, that does not nor is it meant to cut down on costs. But for the fee charged for the right to name the stadium and or venue, it helps pay for the cost of construction with the ideal of their name being in such large letters that it should increase its sales. Just look at the "donation" Atritium made with the Mason City Schools with the addition of their health clinic. It helped to pay for their athletic field additions.

"What if Cedar Fair..., ...began aquiring mass sponsorship?!?!" = "What if Cedar Fair..., ...became like Six Flags?!?!"

I'm sure someone will disagree with me but my strongest memories of SFOT was how many ads there were at the park.

SFKK and SFoG were covered in ads. Everywhere you looked, there was an ad. Miracle Whip was among the most memorable.

Guest TombraiderTy

I don't mind advertisements inside amusement parks, but I think there comes a point in time when it's a tad overkill on them:

sfog2009_59.jpg

Photo from ThemeParkReview.com

I don't mind advertisements inside amusement parks, but I think there comes a point in time when it's a tad overkill on them:

sfog2009_59.jpg

Photo from ThemeParkReview.com

That's Mind Bender at Six Flags Over Georgia right? I remember that perfectly. There definitely comes a point when you know you've gone too far.

The Pet Day Care Center used to be sponsored by Iam's pet food with a sign above the center saying such. With this sponsorship, there was no fee for the guests to board their pets at the kennel. We would make up a doggie/cat bag for the guests and give it to them when they leave at the end of the day. We even had a bin full of dog biscuits for the dogs to munch on. In those doggie/cat bags, we would put samples of Iam's pet food, dog biscuits and coupons for the guests. The ideal was for the guests to buy Iam's pet food. We constantly had at least 3/4's of our cages filled, which was when we still had the camp grounds. But after Iam's was purchased by P&G and shortly afterwards, the sponsorship was ended and a fee was charged to use the kennel.

Kings Island always had sponsorship's and there is nothing wrong with it.

Andy many of the park's attractions were one time "brought to you by" companies. (Kyak Pools, Kodak, Firestone, etc)

The concept is really not new.

Guest rcfreak339

Six Flags parks have always done this. Iv'e never really had a problem with it unless the product is put in the name. Wasn't SFOG's flume at one time or still is called "Deer Park Plunge"? That is just non-sense. I don't really care as long as they keep the signs down to a minimum, the product out of the name and don't ruin a coaster with those decals like Ty pointed out. Viper at Six Flags Magic Mountain was always a awesome looking coaster with a awesome logo but with those stupid decals, ugh.

It's not just in the USA, either, and ride names change as sponsors do or if the sponsor does not renew:

Pepsi Max, The Big One in the UK at Blackpool Pleasure Beach

and

Coca-Cola Rollercoaster now known as Corkscrew Coaster at Rainbow's End in New Zealand

and

of course:

Pepsi Python at a certain Coney Island

and

Pepsi Orange Streak formerly Pepsi Ricksaw at Nick Universe (at Mall of America)