Tower Johnny?(or something like that)

CP+KI Girl

This story reminds me of the kid who died at Ohio State three years ago...it's just eerie to think about these things!

There's a story of a guy that was playing a joke on his friends, so he got in the elevator, kept the door open enough just to get his head through, and then pushed the button to the next floor. He was decapitated.

That one?

I always thought that happened at Xavier...

(I wouldn't bother to Google it, I've never found any substantial proof that this happened anywhere.)

• Like 1

It's not just a story, and it was Ohio State:

http://cleveland.injuryboard.com/wrongful-...googleid=255732

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/midwe...02/12/97848.htm

The Wright State incident was more than 100 years before and happened in a Colorado hotel:

http://www.libraries.wright.edu/special/ma...ripts/ms243.pdf

It wasn't fatal, and cost the gentleman involved his leg..

• Like 3

It's not just a story, and it was Ohio State:

http://cleveland.injuryboard.com/wrongful-...googleid=255732

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/midwe...02/12/97848.htm

The Wright State incident was more than 100 years before and happened in a Colorado hotel:

http://www.libraries.wright.edu/special/ma...ripts/ms243.pdf

It wasn't fatal, and cost the gentleman involved his leg..

Thank you, I forgot about the Ohio State Incident.

I was referring to the Xavier story as being an Urban Legend.

• Like 1

It may very well be, though elevator incidents are more common than you think. In the early 1970's, some students at the University of Kentucky blew up an elevator in a men's dorm, causing several serious injuries. Just a few years ago, in Ashland, Kentucky, an elevator repair technician was decapitated when the elevator moved suddenly and without warning.

It may very well be, though elevator incidents are more common than you think. In the early 1970's, some students at the University of Kentucky blew up an elevator in a men's dorm, causing several serious injuries. Just a few years ago, in Ashland, Kentucky, an elevator repair technician was decapitated when the elevator moved suddenly and without warning.

And this is why elevators scare me more than any roller coaster ever could.

• 3 weeks later...
^Look at post number 8 in this topic- I already provided a citation from a newspaper article that confirmed the incident ;)

I found out the night it happened, from a friend who was working at KI that night. I recall him being a character actor. I don't know if he was working or on break, but he was by the Eiffel Tower when it happened.

The operator of the elevator said there was a thump. then blood started running down the outside of the box.

I don't want to say his name, but the character actor saw the elevator himself. He was close enough when it came down to see it.

He was shaking when he talked about it. I was at his girlfriend's house at the time, (she was my cousin,) when he came over to talk about it. He was let off of work early.

My aunt got him some of her best scotch, and he told us about what he saw and heard.

From what the police could tell, John Harter was climbing on the inside of the tower to the top. There was no room for both him and the counterweight where he was climbing. As he was climbing up, the counterweight came down, smashing him full on, and that's when he fell onto the top of the elevator. It evidently wasn't a simple decapitation, because they had a large area taped off to look for body parts.

Edit:

I called my cousin and double checked the story. The counter weight was going up, caught him, and dragged him through the rollers at the top of the tower. I had my direction wrong.

+1

As for TJ still hanging around the park that is open for your own interpretation. If anyone else can explain why a paint can of nails happend to fly 6' and turn on the lights on the storage run on Beast.....

• 1 month later...

This thread reminded me of a really sad story from my hometown. A year after I graduated from high school, a local senior was killed on the way home from grad night at KI. I didn't know him personally, but some of my good friends did.

Do they even still do grad night?

I can remember leaving to go home from school (during my senior year) on the day many students were headed to grad night (1991!). I can still remember all the trunk lids open and seeing all the cases of beer.

• 4 weeks later...

I found out the night it happened, from a friend who was working at KI that night. I recall him being a character actor. I don't know if he was working or on break, but he was by the Eiffel Tower when it happened.

The operator of the elevator said there was a thump. then blood started running down the outside of the box.

I don't want to say his name, but the character actor saw the elevator himself. He was close enough when it came down to see it.

He was shaking when he talked about it. I was at his girlfriend's house at the time, (she was my cousin,) when he came over to talk about it. He was let off of work early.

My aunt got him some of her best scotch, and he told us about what he saw and heard.

From what the police could tell, John Harter was climbing on the inside of the tower to the top. There was no room for both him and the counterweight where he was climbing. As he was climbing up, the counterweight came down, smashing him full on, and that's when he fell onto the top of the elevator. It evidently wasn't a simple decapitation, because they had a large area taped off to look for body parts.

Edit:

I called my cousin and double checked the story. The counter weight was going up, caught him, and dragged him through the rollers at the top of the tower. I had my direction wrong.

wow, sounds like a scene from final destination.

• 4 months later...

As far as the flight commander death, there was also two other deaths that day as well. It was known as "Black Sunday" for Kings Island. 3 people were electrocuted at the pond. 2 end up dead. This was about an hour before the flight commander death. There was speculation that the drunk woman was trying to get a better look of the pond scene/helicopter and may have attempted to slip out of her harness. There was also talk about her passing out, and the pod flipping upside down and she eventually fell out. When the ride was put back in service, the harnesses was changed, and it only allowed you to spin the pod upside down for a small period of time. I witness to the accident claimed when the lady hit the cement, she bounced about 2 feet before hitting again. The electrocution deaths happened right before that one. It was during King's Island's first "gay days". One guy was trying to either splash another, or get something he dropped into the water and he was electrocuted and fell into the water. His friend went into get him and he too was electrocuted. A park security guard supposably heard that two people had been "shot" not "shocked" by Oktoberfest Gardens (Then Beir Gardens) and jumped in to save them. The original man that was electrocuted was saved. His friend, and the security guard died.

BTW I also found this.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=doc&p_docid=0F504FEDF06CA097&p_docnum=1

"At least three people have died in accidents in Kings Island in recent years: a 26-year-old Youngstown man died in 1986 after diving into a shallow pool; a 17-year-old Delaware boy died in 1983 after falling from the observation deck of Eiffel Tower onto the top of an elevator; and a Kings Island park ranger was killed by lions in 1976."

I knew a guy died from diving in the shallow fountain pools. People kept saying it never happened. Well it did.

To my understanding was that KC closed due to the steel and the parts. (I will need that to be verified..>TERPY! lol)

Other than that, I think the woman was drunk, and she some how slipped out of the restraint, and fell to her death. Scary stuff really.

But I love ghosts, and I would love to see Tower Johnny! I was there yesterday and meant to ask the ET elevator operator about it!

As has been stated before, the inferior Japanese steel used in the prototype King Cobra was the primary reason for its removal. SkyRider and Shockwave remain....if it were just parts, neither would still be running...yes, the trains for Kings Island's ride were scavenged, but that is to be expected.

• 6 years later...

Kinda sounds like Terp may have a phobia of elevators. That or is ready for the Elevator category on Jeprody.

• Like 5

• 10 months later...

To answer your question this, the person you are asking about a was one of my best friends in high school (Delaware Hayes H.S. Euclid ave. Delaware Ohio   43015) I was in Beirut Lebanon at the time this happened after my ship (uss Trenton LPD- 14) left grenada).

Yes it was a senior day in 1983 and my freind was wasted on alcohol  (he was a big drinker and it was probably jack daniels too) and he went into a section of the Eiffel Tower that was off limits but not locked and opened the door to an elevator and proceeded to walk out into thin air right in front of a bunch of my friends and fell to his death. You can probably find a write up of it in the Delaware Gazette in Delaware Ohio if you call or write them, as to the legend I bave no idea but i wouldn't be surprised that there is one but those are the basic facts of the story. He was survived by his older brother and his parents and younger sister and he was a star swimmer that I believe had a scholarship to Ohio State University. 

I believe that gives you enough information to find out the rest of the story and to know that itis a very sore point for a lot of us from that class and my class of 1982. 

• Like 1

My sympathies, Mr. Underhill.  It seems that sometimes people forget that there are real people behind these legends and real people were involved.  Another thread discussed this young man at length and there was a great deal of respect given, as I think should be.

• Like 4