Question about Vortex...

Cortney

I am really getting tired of hearing the rumors of what is going to happen to this ride and if its sinking into the ground and such....but does anyone really know its fate???? I would hate to see this one go. It was my first upside down coaster and my niece loved it. I can't see KI without it.

When the world ends, Vortex will cease - if it doesn't sink into the ground before then, or if no one else gets killed on it, or if Dippin' Dot's decides to pull their cart from next to the exit.......or any other stupid rumor you might have read or heard.

Don't worry - be happy!

I hate to be the skunk at the Sunday School picnic, but:

* King Cobra was painted very shortly before it closed forever.

* Metal fatigues, steel coasters eventually meet their end. A very important employee at Kings Island has on occasion been known to say it is a rare steel coaster that goes more than 20 years. Vortex is now older than that. Shockwave, a similar coaster once at Six Flags Great America, has already been removed. Great American Scream Machine at Great Adventure is often mentioned as a candidate for removal. Steel Phantom at Kennywood was greatly reworked and renewed by Morgan. Some day, Vortex will be no more. When? Can't say. Perhaps one of the biggest factors in how long Vortex lasts is how long the other coasters in the park endure. If one or more is removed in the near future, ironically, it may extend Vortex's service.

* Metal fatigues, steel coasters eventually meet their end. A very important employee at Kings Island has on occasion been known to say it is a rare steel coaster that goes more than 20 years. Vortex is now older than that. Shockwave, a similar coaster once at Six Flags Great America, has already been removed. Great American Scream Machine at Great Adventure is often mentioned as a candidate for removal. Steel Phantom at Kennywood was greatly reworked and renewed by Morgan. Some day, Vortex will be no more. When? Can't say. Perhaps one of the biggest factors in how long Vortex lasts is how long the other coasters in the park endure. If one or more is removed in the near future, ironically, it may extend Vortex's service.

One of the best reasons to pray for SOB's removal. <G>

I am really getting tired of hearing the rumors of what is going to happen to this ride and if its sinking into the ground and such....but does anyone really know its fate???? I would hate to see this one go. It was my first upside down coaster and my niece loved it. I can't see KI without it.

*shakes Magic 8 Ball*

Cannot predict now.

;)

Agreed however there were other factors involved with shockwave's removal. Having ridden shockwave many times as I'm sure you had aswell, I'm sure we can agree that the popularity of The Vortex surpasses that of shockwave; mainly based upon the enjoyment of the ride itself. Vortex still has some seats that will give a good ride. Still popularity can take a back seat when it comes to park additions.

Personally, I still believe that unless there is a plan for a new ride who's popularity will be greater than that of The Vortex, there is no need to worry. Obviously, at SF Great America, they were already building onto the parking lot and when Superman Ultimate Flight came into the picture, Shockwave had to go.

I don't think that Kings Island would remove The Vortex without replacing it with something as equally thrilling and visually appealing. Given Vortex's twisted nature, it's difficult to find an ugly view of it. The fact that Vortex's location IS such prime real estate within the park both helps and hurts The Vortex. It helps it in that Vortex does a very good job filling the location, appealing to both riders and passerby's, however if a new staple of a ride were to be conceived, Vortex's age combined with the value of its current plot of land would make it a prime target for removal. However; said before though, with the recent addition of both Firehawk and Diamondback, coupled with Cedar Fairs Debt, I find that incredibly unlikely in the near future.