FOF mishap

coasterfreak75

On 7/18/03 when I got on FOF the train left the station and the acceleration just did not happen. This was my first ride on FOF this year so I just thought they had toned it down but at the end of the take off run the brakes kicked in and we stopped. The crew came and had to push the train back to the station and then send it empty. No big deal just wanted to know if the LIM's mis-fired that often. wink.gif

I don't think it's a misfire, as LIM's involve magnets and as such cannot misfire. I had heard in the past that the computer uses some sort of weight calculation to determine whether or not it is safe to send the car into the cobra roll, I could be wrong, however. I'll leave it to someone who knows better than I.

I've only seen a roller coaster train pushed once at Paramount's Kings Island. I had just sat down in the Flight of Fear train and the ride-ops had said "Clear!" but nothing happened. They tried launching the train about three or four more times, but eventually had all of the riders exit the train and get back in line. The ride-ops called maintenance and about 10 mintues later, they pushed the train about a foot down the track. The train was launched, and we were on the next to go.

I don't really know what happened, but I suppose that the train hadn't aligned correctly, so it couldn't launch. Anyway, this took place on Pass Preview Night 2003.

They don't make you leave the building. If you are waiting for the front of the train you will see there is a door or two at the end of the station that occasionally the worker disappears in. I think one of those leads to the launch track. Its been since 97 when I did it, so I don't remember what we did.

When they push the train back, or have people get out and walk back to the station on FoF, where do you walk? I realize that there's probably some sort of walkway on either side, but from the station, you can see that there's only about a 6" ledge under the dome entrance. Is there an alternate way around that? I imagine that PKI wouldn't want to assume the risk over a whole trainful of people having to go "Cliffhanger" style over a 2 foot deep hole with track in it.