Hot Blooded Review

BoddaH1994

Ah, the Haunt season. Time for leaves to start falling from the trees, fog to fill the air and Kings Island to finally open after a month long private event sell out hiatus.

One thing that has become a staple in the deranged world of Haunt in the past three years has been the live entertainment associated with the event. One of the most controversial things Kings Island has ever done was to bring you Dead Awakening, a show that featured scantily-clad women, suggestive themes and good 'ol fashion murder. Some deemed it inappropriate, some loved it. None the less, it packed the International Showplace Theatre every night for its two year run with Haunt up until last year.

As many of you know, I was a big fan. I found the show to be both artistic and tasteful. Something worth seeing again and again. Personally, I was disappointed to hear that it wouldn't make a third year run like Endless Summer did. I started hearing news of this new Hot Blooded show that would be debuting and must admit that I had my doubts. I thought Dead Awakening was a show that could not be topped. I was wrong.

So now we have Hot Blooded.

Billed as, "Vampires, blood and rock n’ roll explode onto the stage in this all new seductive after-life revue." I absolutely hate the word 'revue'. To me, that implies, "Hey, this is a song we can throw in there and people may clap along." I'm not going to look up the actual definition, even for the sake of argument, but that's just what courses through my head when I hear that word.

As much as I disagree with the description, it is pretty accurate. The playlist for Hot Blooded is loaded with several classic rock songs. Of course, the song "Hot Blooded" by Foreigner is featured in this show. I think we all saw that one coming. I always thought the song was kind of bland, but it was used very appropriately in this show.

IMG_9813.JPG

One thing that I really enjoyed about this show was a technology that I believe is a water screen. They had a waterfall on the stage and could essentially project anything they wanted onto it. The water screen was nearly impossible to photograph, so I encourage you to click the link above to see what I'm talking about. I found myself absolutely mesmerized by this effect.

IMG_9770.JPG

The loose plot of the show is that a guy and girl couple are lost and, after stopping to see the 'waterfall', they are quickly ransacked by a group of vampires. Not unlike Dead Awakening, the story is seemingly intentionally unclear, but what I picked up from it was a story about assimilation and how justification makes you part of a crime. It kind of reminded me of Samuel Taylor Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner in that respect. I'm probably looking too far into this, but I guess that's one that we can chalk up to personal interpretation.

IMG_9815.JPG

The lighting for the show was really good, even without the water wall. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the same guy who did this show also did the first year of Dead Awakening, which also had some great lighting. Good stuff.

Pyrotechnics were added to this show, which is the first time I've seen pyro used in the Showplace since the Tomb Raider Stunt Show in '03 (I think). The pyrotechnics were done extremely well. You can do pyros right and do them wrong, in my opinion. They weren't afraid to put enough of a bang into the show to really give you a good jump, yet they weren't used so often that it got stale. I thought it added a lot of power to the show and really gave it a tasteful "over the top" feeling.

Maybe someone who has a better backround in choreography and dance can give a better review of it from that aspect, but I thought it looked good. The second time I saw the show, I set behind about five former cast members of Flashback Totally 80s and talked to them briefly. They commented on how they enjoyed the choreography.

Over all, I'm really excited about this show. In my personal opinion, it's the best show I've ever seen at Kings Island. Better than County Line, better than Toy Factory and yes - better than Dead Awakening.

If you're easily offended by suggestive themes, that's cool - we can still be friends. However if you enjoyed Dead Awakening, you'll LOVE Hot Blooded. I definitely recommend going and checking it out. Worst case scenario, you can at least stare at the awesome water wall and listen to music. :rolleyes:

To see more photos of Hot Blooded click here.

This show can be found in the International Showplace Theatre, right past the Eiffel Tower at the following times:

Thursdays (10/8, 10/15): 8:30PM, 10PM

Fridays: 8PM, 9:30PM, 11PM, 12AM

Saturdays: 8PM, 9:30PM, 11PM, 12AM

Sundays (10/11, 10/18): 8:30PM, 10PM

The first time we heard the pyro was during rehearsal last week. We at Cut Throat thought something was wrong at first. I then in a very excited voice stated that they must of added pyro back to the showplace. Glad to see that this show may be stacking up to the prior attempts. I'll have to have my family check it out when they visit later in the month.

Lol and I just wanted to mention that it was I that called you out Ryan opening night at Cut Throat. I was having a blast!

Actually Ryan, I believe that the water effect may be from a company called Aquatic Show International. They have a product titled Aqua Graphic that seems to more accurately depict the effect used in Hot Blooded. Here is a link to a video of the product on their website: http://www.aquatic-show.com/site/video-AquaGraphic-231.html

ack! i couldn't stand dead awakening, it was like "lets see how many sexy outfits we can fit in a show". I love my Halloween and gore...but not really sex mixed in.

Really since when is sex scary? and since when is gory halloween sex sexy? (ok some people are into that but i'm not sure if that is an over whelming amount of people) Club blood, another thing that caters to men and their off desires. As a female, its starting to make me feel like Halloween is no longer something joining people together by fear,trickery and fun...its a bunch of men drooling(or disgusted) by a bunch of women dressed as street walkers. This is the only thing i didn't like about Halloween Haunt...and they are still keeping it apparently. :huh:

<end rant>

When I was at KI yesterday, I was looking at the times for Hot Blooded. One of the showtimes had a sign over it and it said cancelled. It was the midnight show for either Friday or Saturday (I think Saturday). Was that just for this past weekend, or the entire Haunt season? Do you know?

When I was at KI yesterday, I was looking at the times for Hot Blooded. One of the showtimes had a sign over it and it said cancelled. It was the midnight show for either Friday or Saturday (I think Saturday). Was that just for this past weekend, or the entire Haunt season? Do you know?

The later shows were cancelled on Saturday due to the rain. As far as I know, they'll go on as scheduled starting this weekend (weather permitting).

ack! i couldn't stand dead awakening, it was like "lets see how many sexy outfits we can fit in a show". I love my Halloween and gore...but not really sex mixed in.

Really since when is sex scary? and since when is gory halloween sex sexy? (ok some people are into that but i'm not sure if that is an over whelming amount of people) Club blood, another thing that caters to men and their off desires. As a female, its starting to make me feel like Halloween is no longer something joining people together by fear,trickery and fun...its a bunch of men drooling(or disgusted) by a bunch of women dressed as street walkers. This is the only thing i didn't like about Halloween Haunt...and they are still keeping it apparently. :huh:

<end rant>

By the way, agreed 100%. KI has stooped to new lows. At least we don't have ****roach eating like SF... yet.

I've already touched on this in my TR thread, which I'm sure I'm the only one that read..

I didn't like Hot Blooded. Not that the chicks weren't hot, the sex was implied.. but I'm not convinced that it takes 8 women to take down 3 men for dinner, if my count was right.

I am just not very into the 80s thing. Some of these songs were so very much contrived and I saw them coming miles away. The water wall thingy was cool, I even thought it was gonna be good when the lead guy

"flew" in. Sure, it held my attention, only because I happen to like scantily clad girls, and Club Blood was great in giving me that. Hot Blooded, not so much. But then again, I don't scare easily if at all, and I prefer tool to foreigner... and if any of maynard's music was in a crap show that I thought it was, he'd kill someone (look up tool if you are unclear of who maynard is). And I'd probably hand him the knife.

just an opinion, each got one.

I did love hearing classic Zombie and Manson... wish it were season-round.

deb

• 2 weeks later...

Bravo to Kings Island for the dead awakening and hot blooded. I dont want to hear about anyone hatin' on these magnificent shows. I personally dont like roller coasters or professional sports such as football, baseball, or basketball, but I dont trash them either. The dancers are not strippers, they are very high class professionals that have way more talent than sports players. Their gracefulness can be compared to ice skaters, and their courage to do back flips, etc. is stronger than 2 guys trying to tackle each other! I used to visit Kings Island for the sole purpose of spending time with my daughter, but now I want to go and enjoy being there because of the live entertainment. These 2 shows especially, and the other shows played throughout spring and summer have brought me and my wife closer because we dont go many places together. Now about hot blooded and the supposed gay vampires, the 2 guys are not kissing they are nose to nose and are doing this because it is part of the show. I think they should be rewarded for having the courage to do this in front of an audience knowing narrow minded people are going to be calling them names. Think about this there is more physical contact between men playing football and wrestling, then when they make a good play they pat each others rears? Kings Island knows that everyone has different taste and thats why they offer a variety of different things to see and do. I have not been through any other attractions yet because of the long lines and not wanting miss the next showing of hot blooded! My favorite part of the show is during the song it feels like the first time when the 2 dancers are crawling on each other and then the girl on the bottom totally flips herself over and ends up standing like its no big deal.

<end rant>

*sigh* those poor shirtless boys running around in club blood get no credit :( i just find it funny that when i read the reviews the girls all complain about the girls, but honestly i see more on the girls in CB than some of the girls running around the park for crying out loud. And its always the girls. there are at least 6 guys in there running around in tight pants and no shirt leaving pretty much nothing to the imagination. But they get no mention, good or bad. But i love them just the same. just thought i'd point out the one sidedness i'm getting tired of seeing. I worked there back in 07 and absolutely loved it (and yes i was in very short leave nothing to the imagination clothes as well then) and had absolutely no problems with it (at least until the cold snap on bare bones nights). most of the girls dont have issues. they're there cuz its a fun house full of great ppl. and a good 80% of that house is returners year after year.

I hope the water effect is used during a regular season show, too.

Since it doesn't show up well under heavy lighting and photography, i doubt it would even be able to be seen during the daylight hours outside in the showplace anyways

Since it doesn't show up well under heavy lighting and photography, i doubt it would even be able to be seen during the daylight hours outside in the showplace anyways

I could never understand why KI doesn't run at lease one night show during the regular season at the stage.

I could never understand why KI doesn't run at lease one night show during the regular season at the stage.

like StalkerChick said .....lighting effects really help make this show, so haveing it during the day just wont have the same effect.

Ah, the Haunt season. Time for leaves to start falling from the trees, fog to fill the air and Kings Island to finally open after a month long private event sell out hiatus.

One thing that has become a staple in the deranged world of Haunt in the past three years has been the live entertainment associated with the event. One of the most controversial things Kings Island has ever done was to bring you Dead Awakening, a show that featured scantily-clad women, suggestive themes and good 'ol fashion murder. Some deemed it inappropriate, some loved it. None the less, it packed the International Showplace Theatre every night for its two year run with Haunt up until last year.

As many of you know, I was a big fan. I found the show to be both artistic and tasteful. Something worth seeing again and again. Personally, I was disappointed to hear that it wouldn't make a third year run like Endless Summer did. I started hearing news of this new Hot Blooded show that would be debuting and must admit that I had my doubts. I thought Dead Awakening was a show that could not be topped. I was wrong.

So now we have Hot Blooded.

Billed as, "Vampires, blood and rock n’ roll explode onto the stage in this all new seductive after-life revue." I absolutely hate the word 'revue'. To me, that implies, "Hey, this is a song we can throw in there and people may clap along." I'm not going to look up the actual definition, even for the sake of argument, but that's just what courses through my head when I hear that word.

As much as I disagree with the description, it is pretty accurate. The playlist for Hot Blooded is loaded with several classic rock songs. Of course, the song "Hot Blooded" by Foreigner is featured in this show. I think we all saw that one coming. I always thought the song was kind of bland, but it was used very appropriately in this show.

IMG_9813.JPG

One thing that I really enjoyed about this show was a technology that I believe is a water screen. They had a waterfall on the stage and could essentially project anything they wanted onto it. The water screen was nearly impossible to photograph, so I encourage you to click the link above to see what I'm talking about. I found myself absolutely mesmerized by this effect.

IMG_9770.JPG

The loose plot of the show is that a guy and girl couple are lost and, after stopping to see the 'waterfall', they are quickly ransacked by a group of vampires. Not unlike Dead Awakening, the story is seemingly intentionally unclear, but what I picked up from it was a story about assimilation and how justification makes you part of a crime. It kind of reminded me of Samuel Taylor Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner in that respect. I'm probably looking too far into this, but I guess that's one that we can chalk up to personal interpretation.

IMG_9815.JPG

The lighting for the show was really good, even without the water wall. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the same guy who did this show also did the first year of Dead Awakening, which also had some great lighting. Good stuff.

Pyrotechnics were added to this show, which is the first time I've seen pyro used in the Showplace since the Tomb Raider Stunt Show in '03 (I think). The pyrotechnics were done extremely well. You can do pyros right and do them wrong, in my opinion. They weren't afraid to put enough of a bang into the show to really give you a good jump, yet they weren't used so often that it got stale. I thought it added a lot of power to the show and really gave it a tasteful "over the top" feeling.

Maybe someone who has a better backround in choreography and dance can give a better review of it from that aspect, but I thought it looked good. The second time I saw the show, I set behind about five former cast members of Flashback Totally 80s and talked to them briefly. They commented on how they enjoyed the choreography.

Over all, I'm really excited about this show. In my personal opinion, it's the best show I've ever seen at Kings Island. Better than County Line, better than Toy Factory and yes - better than Dead Awakening.

If you're easily offended by suggestive themes, that's cool - we can still be friends. However if you enjoyed Dead Awakening, you'll LOVE Hot Blooded. I definitely recommend going and checking it out. Worst case scenario, you can at least stare at the awesome water wall and listen to music. :rolleyes:

To see more photos of Hot Blooded click here.

This show can be found in the International Showplace Theatre, right past the Eiffel Tower at the following times:

Nope im pretty sure Josh did both seasons of dead awakening, not Kyle.

Just when I thought HH's Show last year was good, they come us with Hot Blooded which I think is Ki's best show ever just infront of Endless Summer on Ice.

Since you're about 12, you're well qualified to judge since you've seen all the shows in the history of the park.