Okoberfest

dustyj1986

So we all know that Kings Island's Oktoberfest themed area was never large to begin with. Also, with the re-theming of oktoberfest bier gartens to bubba gump's shrimp shack in the paramount years...it depleted it even more.

So what's next? The only ride in this area is Viking Fury (Installed for the 1982 season) and even then it doesn't compare with other similar rides that go an entire 360 degrees. Not to mention the Bier Garten Lake is the only one left in the entire park.

Does anyone have an idea of what may happen to this area-if anything? What would you guys like to see happen?

-Dustin

I would hate to see what Viking Fury would look like if it was built today.

Over water? Nope

Intricate designs on the boat? Nope

Landscaping? Probably not

Nice looking wooden queue surrounded by trees and plants? Nope

The same goes for Congo Falls, White Water Canyon, and Adventure Express. While these may not headliner attractions, Kings Island will feel like a much different place when they are removed.

If VF did go 360 degress, then more than likely my daughter wouldn't be able to ride it... and it's currently one of her favorites. Parks need family rides too, not just rides only for adults or only for children, but rides parents and kids can ride together. Through the years KI has taken out a lot of these, and now that I have a kid I miss them more than ever. Goodbye Flying Eagles, Tumblebug, Bayern Curve, Der Spinnin' Keggers, Witch's Cauldrons, WAH Monorail, Flying Dutchman, Giant Slide... the list goes on...

Guest TombraiderTy
So we all know that Kings Island's Oktoberfest themed area was never large to begin with

In 1973, it had Bavarian Beetle, Der Spinnen Keggers, Bier Garten, Sky Ride, The Rotor, Bayern Curve, and Flying Dutchman...

The only ride in this area is Viking Fury

Although they may not fit theme-wise, Sling Shot and Adventure Express are considered part of the area.

...and even then it doesn't compare with other similar rides that go an entire 360 degrees.

Nor would many people want it to... that would restrict it from being a family-friendly ride. And based off Canada's Wonderland's 360-degree swinging ship, I'd prefer to keep our tamer Viking Fury ;)

Not to mention the Bier Garten Lake is the only one left in the entire park.

Not quite... besides a few ponds scattered around the former Wild Animal Safari land, there are also the reserves for White Water Canyon and Wild Thornberry's River Adventure. And the water features in Paramount Story (when they're actually on...) LOOK natural :P

So we all know that Kings Island's Oktoberfest themed area was never large to begin with

In 1973, it had Bavarian Beetle, Der Spinnen Keggers, Bier Garten, Sky Ride, The Rotor, Bayern Curve, and Flying Dutchman...

The only ride in this area is Viking Fury

Although they may not fit theme-wise, Sling Shot and Adventure Express are considered part of the area.

...and even then it doesn't compare with other similar rides that go an entire 360 degrees.

Nor would many people want it to... that would restrict it from being a family-friendly ride. And based off Canada's Wonderland's 360-degree swinging ship, I'd prefer to keep our tamer Viking Fury ;)

Not to mention the Bier Garten Lake is the only one left in the entire park.

Not quite... besides a few ponds scattered around the former Wild Animal Safari land, there are also the reserves for White Water Canyon and Wild Thornberry's River Adventure. And the water features in Paramount Story (when they're actually on...) LOOK natural :P

I wouldn't consider a concrete reservoir a lake...

Agreed 100000%. I too didn't care when I had no children, but now I wish we had more family rides. I'd LOVE to have Keelboat Canal back, especially since in its place we have the abysmal Crypt...

RD

If VF did go 360 degress, then more than likely my daughter wouldn't be able to ride it... and it's currently one of her favorites. Parks need family rides too, not just rides only for adults or only for children, but rides parents and kids can ride together. Through the years KI has taken out a lot of these, and now that I have a kid I miss them more than ever. Goodbye Flying Eagles, Tumblebug, Bayern Curve, Der Spinnin' Keggers, Witch's Cauldrons, WAH Monorail, Flying Dutchman, Giant Slide... the list goes on...

^I said that the former Paramount Story looks natural, especially when compared to Diamondback's or Backlot Stunt Coaster's splash-downs.

I wasn't talking about Paramount Story. I was referring to you calling the reservoir for the Wild Thornberry's a "lake". While Paramount Story might look natural, the reservoir for the flume looks like exactly what it is: a concrete pool.

Guest TombraiderTy

^Do you even know what I'm talking about? The reserve I'm referring to (at least I'm assuming it's the WTRA reserve- I do know that the neighboring one is WWC's reserve) is behind the attraction, hidden in the woods:

reserves.jpg

^Do you even know what I'm talking about? The reserve I'm referring to (at least I'm assuming it's the WTRA reserve- I do know that the neighboring one is WWC's reserve) is behind the attraction, hidden in the woods:

reserves.jpg

I actually did not know about that lake, but it has absolutely nothing to do with flume except being behind it. Flume's reserves is the concrete reservoir.

Guest TombraiderTy

I actually did not know about that lake, but it has absolutely nothing to do with flume except being behind it. Flume's reserves is the concrete reservoir.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but notice White Water Canyon's reserve- the one on the right- is filled while the attraction's trough is empty. With Wild Thornberry's River Adventure, notice the pond is filled while both the flume and the concrete pool at the end are empty. If the concrete pool was WTRA's reserve, wouldn't it always be filled? I'm not claiming that WTRA's reserve is the small pond, but if the concrete pool was, wouldn't it need to be filled? Of course, I don't have any background in how reserves for water-rides worked ;)

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but notice White Water Canyon's reserve- the one on the right- is filled while the attraction's trough is empty. With Wild Thornberry's River Adventure, notice the pond is filled while both the flume and the concrete pool at the end are empty. If the concrete pool was WTRA's reserve, wouldn't it always be filled? I'm not claiming that WTRA's reserve is the small pond, but if the concrete pool was, wouldn't it need to be filled? Of course, I don't have any background in how reserves for water-rides worked ;)

The pool is drained in the off season. It is full throughout the entire season.

EDIT: Also, the lake by WWC is always full.

Guest TombraiderTy

^WWC's reserve doesn't appear to be ever be drained, so why is WTRA's? Couldn't they just save time by leaving the water in the concrete pool, assuming that that is the reserve?

^WWC's reserve doesn't appear to be ever be drained, so why is WTRA's? Couldn't they just save time by leaving the water in the concrete pool, assuming that that is the reserve?

I'm going to assume that Diamondback FOF is correct in his reasoning, but why would I know for sure why they drain flumes and not WWC's? I do however, know that the pool is the reserve for flume, as I am a supervisor there.

I believe the water for WWC is from the river and is untreated, therefore it is easy to just leave it there.

The water in WTRA is water that is treated, so they might as well drain it. If they didn't, it would cost a lot of money to treat that water in the spring before opening it.

Huh? Treated water does not stay treated. It must be retreated from time to time to stay compliant. Thus, the above comment doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I believe the water for WWC is from the river and is untreated, therefore it is easy to just leave it there.

The water in WTRA is water that is treated, so they might as well drain it. If they didn't, it would cost a lot of money to treat that water in the spring before opening it.

Huh? Treated water does not stay treated. It must be retreated from time to time to stay compliant. Thus, the above comment doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

We have tanks of HCl behind the ride to treat it.

It made sense in my head. I hate it when that happens :lol:. When I first thought of it, it sounded good, but then I thought that I had thought of it backwards, and then got it straight. I *think* I meant if the water just sits there, then more algea and other organisms can start to grow in it. When that happens, it would take more chemicals to treat, wouldn't it? I don't know. I guess everything in these two posts by me makes no sense.

So, do you, Terpy, have insight as to why they drain one reserve and not the other?

It made sense in my head. I hate it when that happens :lol:. When I first thought of it, it sounded good, but then I thought that I had thought of it backwards, and then got it straight. I *think* I meant if the water just sits there, then more algea and other organisms can start to grow in it. When that happens, it would take more chemicals to treat, wouldn't it? I don't know. I guess everything in these two posts by me makes no sense.

So, do you, Terpy, have insight as to why they drain one reserve and not the other?

The lake is natural and would be exceedingly difficult to drain. The pool is not.

The lake is natural and would be exceedingly difficult to drain. The pool is not.

Actually the WWC lake is man made. It was created by building a darn (you walk across it to get to WWC) across the valley. If would very possible that they had put a drain in it when they built it.