The Beast

coasterfreak75

Really what's wrong with the magnetic trims? Yes they do slow you down in un-natural spots but then again beyond that the ride is as wild as it was in 1979, the first year I rode it. Yes I'm giving away my age. Still how can you really gripe about this when you still hit the helix and the trains are rattling and shaking like they are going to fly apart. Really, what is the big deal. I'm standing behind PKI for the magnetic trims, I like 'em! laugh.gif

I'm glad that you like them but I still hate them. IMO, I think it ruins the first part of the ride. Why put brakes on the first hill when the reason the hill is there is to gain speed? I just wish they would at least take off the brakes on the first hill. That's is just my opinion so oh well.

Actually, Paramount's Kings Island could keep The Beast forever. ( Or as long as the park is in operation ) Roller coasters are like almost anything else. As long as they continue to maintain the ride and give it a face-lift now and again ( Current examples: Magnetic brakes - Turn at bottom of first hill ) the ride will last as long as PKI does.

I would think that eventually, new trains would be needed. Also, in the next 15 to 20 years, I wouldn't be surprised if The Beast was "all new." I don't know if any orginal wood is left, but over time, it will all have to be replaced. The following is just wishful thinking on my part, but it would be nice if the entire ride was overhauled like the turn out of the first drop.

There is a reason for trims on the first drop, it is to slow the ride for the drop, if you gain too much speed the ride would tear up the wood and Beast would be down alot. They don't try to make the ride not as enjoyable, but than again iw ould rather ride it reliably than only once in a while because they have to retrack it so much.

There has always been brakes going down the lift drops when they were skid brakes, the only difference with the magnetic brakes are is it stops/ slows more quickly whereas the skid brakes were more gradual. Yes the park can keep The Beast forever, if they continue to maintain it like they do such as slowing the speed around turns/ drops so it doesnt tear up the structure. I actually think the train is going faster consistantly now after the brake shed than it did with skid brakes.

Is it true that the turn after the first hill was re-designed so that the trim brakes on that same hill would no longer be needed?

If that is true, I don't see why Paramount's Kings Island couldn't do that to the entire ride. The trims could be removed, and the ride would be a lot smoother as well. Yes, this would take a consideral amount of $$$, but the project could be spread out over a course of four or five years.

I realize that The Beast isn't supposed to be a nice, tame, kiddie coaster, but the roughness does get old in my opinion. The Beast is a great ride, but the extreme intensity keeps me from coming back for re-rides. Once a visit is enough for me, and for a good amount of the General Public as well.

KI Kid has it right, believe me. You go the same speed everywhere, but the magnets just slow you down faster, as opposed to the skids slowing you down more gradually. The first drop wasn't re-designed it was re-built over the off season and is much smoother now.

No, the entire first turn was actually redesigned because of the damage it suffered last year. Does everyone remember when the ride opened last year without a trim brake on the first drop? Does everyone remember the fact that the ride had a lot more downtime last year? They are related to each other. Without the trim on the first drop the trains were distroying the first turn and the trains were distroying thereself. Thats why half way through the year the trim was installed again. Right there is the proof that the trim brakes on the ride are needed.

I have said this once and I will say it again. The Beast is moving the exact same speed if not faster with the fin/magnatic brakes as it was with the Skid brakes. THE DIFFERENCE IS THAT THE RIDE SLOWS DOWN MORE SUDDENLY NOW THAN IT DID WITH THE SKID BRAKES WHICH SLOWED IT GRADUALLY!!! Why on the earth is that so hard for you people to comprehend????? Don't believe me ask anyone who has experience with The Beast.

As far as smoothness, okay I understand The Beast isnt supposed to be smooth but what you need to understand is that with the way people file lawsuits now days, PKI is just protecting thereself. I completely understand why the continue to make the track smoother. With people filing lawsuit left and right I would be doing the samething.

Now, I know people are going to start saying well people should know wood coasters are rough. Well guess what??? That is not the case. That is why people are hurt b/c the fail to adhere to safety guidelines. PKI is doing what they should be to protect thereself. If you don't like it then think of it this way, are you the ones going to be in court when someones gets hurt b/c they failed to realize the roughness of wood coasters, and they were injuried on a ride that is "supposed" to be rough. I applaud PKI for the work the have done to The Beast. The brakes are really no big difference and the track work is being done for PKI's best interest so GOOD JOB PKI!!! If you don't like it, well then stay away from it. One less person in front of me in line.

Also, for you people who are complaining about the brakes and the track work. I think its people like you that PKI maintenance should hate. They spend hour after hour working on rides like The Beast only to hear you people complain about what they have done. The are in that park at 4am every morning starting there morning maintenance and most of them are dedicated to the rides they maintain and some of you people complain non-stop about the work they do.

QUOTE (Xx2cansamxX @ Jul 21 2003, 10:55 PM)

The Beast isnt supposed to be a "smooth" ride.

If you dont like the fact that the are making The Beast smoother when it isnt supposed to be smooth, there is one wood coaster across the other side of the park that I am sure will accomodate your taste.

Edited by beastfreak

The problem for me with The Beast's magnetic brakes is that when you are going down the first hill and you hit the trims you aren't accelerating. You stay at a constant speed when you are supposed to be accelerating. I didn't have a problem with the skid brakes because you didn't stay at a constant speed. When going sown The Beast's first hill, it really doesn't feel like a true hill and that is what I don't like about the new brakes.

The park isn't "retracking" the ride to make it smoother so people won't sue. They are retracking the ride so that it doesn't fall apart. The magnetic brakes are replacement of the skid cause they weren't as affective in slowing the train down in key points so the train doesn't cause too high of forces on those "special" places in the ride.

Its not like KI was the first to put brakes on the first drop of a coaster. Look at Mean Streak and Mantis at CP. Both of those coasters have brakes on the first drop. They are very noticable as well.

I just find it amusing how two or three feet of magnetic brakes can slow down that multi-ton train so much. Technology is truly amazing.

Think about Drop Zone... A car that weighs quite a bit, with 50(?) adults on it, moving at 65 MPH... I wonder how much weight it's actually stopping, considering g-forces and the like. Magnets are truely amazing.

Think about Drop Zone... A car that weighs quite a bit, with 50(?) adults on it, moving at 65 MPH... I wonder how much weight it's actually stopping, considering g-forces and the like.  Magnets are truely amazing.

DZ only seats 40 and reaches a top speed of 67 mph.

While we are talking about magnets, here is a site about Maglev and it is worth taking a look. It really shows how amazing magnets really are. Click Here for the site. Magnets are the future and you can quote me on that.

Edited by mars1825

Look at Mean Streak and Mantis at CP. Both of those coasters have brakes on the first drop. They are very noticable as well.

Mean Streak has the top trims turned off every now and again but they were added for the same purpose as from what I've gathered they were added to Beast for: To keep the trains from destroying the structure.

The Mantis trims were different, they were there for the purpose of creating another block so the employees could have more time to put out another train. Mantis has only been running 2 trains since the 2000 season so those trims have been turned off.

I think it's a good idea to have magnetic breaks, despite the loss in speed, it's good to know they've got the well-being of the structure in a high priority.

The Mantis brakes are not there for another Block. Block brakes must be able to "fully stop" a train if the block ahead is not cleared. While it may aid in slowing the train so it takes longer in the block, I've heard it was added cause the forces in the loop were so high.

Plus their problem isn't with the blocks being clear, their problem is the loading. People just don't understand and it takes to long in the station, but this topic is not about CP... so on with The Beast.

Edited by beastfreak