SF Blogger Call II & A Little Chang News...

Correct me if I`m wrong, but wasn`t Chang installed at Kentucky Kingdom before Six Flags (even the former ownership) owned the park? Chang opened in 1997, and Kentucky Kingdom was flagged in June of 1998. So technically the part about previous Six Flags management just plopping the ride down is some what misleading as it actually wasn`t Six Flags management that did that, but the prior owners before Six Flags initially bought the park.

I`d have to wonder what exact plans Six Flags has for Kentucky Kingdom. Is it going to go the way of Geauga Lake and become strictly a water park? Or will it be kind of like Coney, with the water park and pools being the main draw, but still retaining some rides and coasters to pull in group sales and pass holders. Being only a couple hours away from Kings Island and Holiday World puts Kentucky Kingdom in kind of a weird spot. They can`t really compete with all the thrills that Kings Island has. Its clear that they are transitioning away from the thrills and focusing on the water park aspects. But do they really anticipating in competing with Holiday World on the water park front? I know that Holiday World does advertise in the Louisville area, and I just can`t see Six Flags developing a water park that out rivals Holiday World`s collection of signature water rides.

"When I asked Mark about Chang he had an interesting response, explaining that he was always bothered by the ride, and felt it was a glaring example of what was wrong with the previous Six Flags management. You see, the ride's name was odd and didn't exemplify what the ride did or the fun you could have on it. It was just sorta slapped down without much effort and was never really a good fit for the park."

Jimminy Crickets! He needs to study up on his parks. Neither Six Flags nor Premier "Slapped down" Chang. Ed Hart... the park's previous owner did. He just stuck Premier with the bill for it. Later... Six Flags Management wanted to "re-theme" the coaster to Joker/Riddler... that's why it lost it's solid yellow color and gained purple supports.

Shaggy

*Edit* Whoops, others beat me to the point before I could click submit ;-)

Just as Six Flags was at one time going to retheme T2 to Batman, even putting up the yellow batlight logo in front of it, until they received notice that the rights holder was not amused with those plans...

Mindbender at Six Flags Over Georgia was to become Riddler, and even got all kinds of ? marks all over it, but local management prevailed, and it was not to be.

As we left SFKK for Holiday World. As we were passing Twisted Twins there was a Pilgrims Plunge billboard across the street from the coaster. :lol:

7321_1220856488529_1442433471_30618846_2

HW has been doing that to them for years... KI too... there were 4 Diamondback billboards within 2 miles of SFKK.

Mindbender at Six Flags Over Georgia was to become Riddler, and even got all kinds of ? marks all over it, but local management prevailed, and it was not to be.

Thank goodness for that! Six Flags has a few gems in their pockets that they hardly appreciate. Mindbender is one of them... Shockwave is another... if only Mr Shapiro would recognize them and re-instate Revolution as it was intended to operate.

I will say it until I am blue in the face... even B&M cannot be compared to the absolute artistry, and genious of Schwarzkopf.

Shaggy

The local manager there is a complete gem. She and she alone prevailed until Mindbender got a complete train rebuild in the last couple of seasons. Were it not for that, the ride itself was greatly endangered and might not have survived. The GM there is a gem, and one of the best in the industry, Melinda Ashcraft.

By the way, she was, for a time, the GM at Kentucky Kingdom, as well, during the time the rides section was being built up.

You would be right. She asked for a much larger capital budget in order to better compete with Kings Island, Cedar Point and even Great America...but Gary Story decided to develop Six Flags Worlds of Adventure instead and she was moved to Six Flags Over Texas, I believe, and then back to Six Flags Over Georgia, where she got her start.

Thank goodness for that! Six Flags has a few gems in their pockets that they hardly appreciate. Mindbender is one of them... Shockwave is another... if only Mr Shapiro would recognize them and re-instate Revolution as it was intended to operate.

I will say it until I am blue in the face... even B&M cannot be compared to the absolute artistry, and genious of Schwarzkopf.

Shaggy

If you are talking about the one at SFMM, California law requires that looping coasters have OTRS. Why they were first installed on Revolution, I don't know, but it can't go back. I assume that Monty's Revenge at KBF is grandfathered in.

If you are talking about the one at SFMM, California law requires that looping coasters have OTRS. Why they were first installed on Revolution, I don't know, but it can't go back. I assume that Monty's Revenge at KBF is grandfathered in.

I understood the reason for Revolutions (Yes SFMM) OSTRS was based on the park's inane decision, not the states.

SFKK will operate much better as a waterpark, IMO. The park has never *clicked* in it's nearly 20 years of operation. Lord knows it's tried every trick in the book... but just never felt *right.*

Shaggy

The closest to it was the year it converted. The place had hope. And then they decided to go after Kings Island in a big way. A $35 million response and Action Zone, and all possibility of that was gone. From there Gary Story moved on to develop Worlds of Adventure (over-develop?) and the rest is history. One is virtually required to wonder what Kentucky Kingdom and Geauga Lake would be like today were Gary Story and his over expansion of Six Flags not involved. I am not saying either would have thrived, but it is likely at least one of the two would have a far different, and perhaps brighter, future than it does today.

Guest rcfreak339

^^I have a feeling that the park isn't gone.....Juts because Chang is doesn't mean the whole park is. I think the park will get the attention in the coming years.

The closest to it was the year it converted. The place had hope. And then they decided to go after Kings Island in a big way. A $35 million response and Action Zone, and all possibility of that was gone. From there Gary Story moved on to develop Worlds of Adventure (over-develop?) and the rest is history. One is virtually required to wonder what Kentucky Kingdom and Geauga Lake would be like today were Gary Story and his over expansion of Six Flags not involved. I am not saying either would have thrived, but it is likely at least one of the two would have a far different, and perhaps brighter, future than it does today.

Would Busch have ever considered buying Geauga Lake? That would have been interesting to see.

As we left SFKK for Holiday World. As we were passing Twisted Twins there was a Pilgrims Plunge billboard across the street from the coaster. :lol:

7321_1220856488529_1442433471_30618846_2

Almost as if they were saying, "NO! GO HERE INSTEAD!"

Which is exactly what we ended up doing after SFKK closed after less than 2 hours of operation.. FAIL, I SAY.

Correct me if I`m wrong, but wasn`t Chang installed at Kentucky Kingdom before Six Flags (even the former ownership) owned the park? Chang opened in 1997, and Kentucky Kingdom was flagged in June of 1998. So technically the part about previous Six Flags management just plopping the ride down is some what misleading as it actually wasn`t Six Flags management that did that, but the prior owners before Six Flags initially bought the park.

I`d have to wonder what exact plans Six Flags has for Kentucky Kingdom. Is it going to go the way of Geauga Lake and become strictly a water park? Or will it be kind of like Coney, with the water park and pools being the main draw, but still retaining some rides and coasters to pull in group sales and pass holders. Being only a couple hours away from Kings Island and Holiday World puts Kentucky Kingdom in kind of a weird spot. They can`t really compete with all the thrills that Kings Island has. Its clear that they are transitioning away from the thrills and focusing on the water park aspects. But do they really anticipating in competing with Holiday World on the water park front? I know that Holiday World does advertise in the Louisville area, and I just can`t see Six Flags developing a water park that out rivals Holiday World`s collection of signature water rides.

Premier parks(which later became six flags) installed chang & like many of their former parks (SFO,SFA,SFDL etc) the place had potential....potential that was never fully realized when the idiots running the chain began focusing on only adding rides to the big three parks while leaving the others in the chain to rot.