Six Flags Magic Mountain to reclaim coaster crown in 2010

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/...-magic-mo-5502/

Magic Mountain’s 17th roller coaster would move the Valencia amusement park into a statistical tie with Ohio’s Cedar Point for coaster supremacy, according to Roller Coaster Database.

I guess in time we will see if CF really cares about the "title" or not.

One thing is certain, the CP 2011 rumors will be running rampant.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another new coaster at SFMM for 2010 has been rumored since before construction started for Terminator: Salvation (didn't Shapiro say they were building 2 coasters in 2 years?). I'm sure that the folks up in Sandusky have been aware of this, and if the "crown" means anything to them, they've been acting on it.

Honestly for me it is not about who has the most coasters. I mean some people think of this war between SFMM and CP like children fighting who got the most toys during the Holidays. It's more about quality than quantity. Also SFMM has something CP does not, land to expand upon.

Don't they have a parking lot coaster?

Not to mention if I were Dick Kinzel, I'd very quietly go out and buy two small kiddie coasters and add to my Snoopy area at the Point.

Doesn't CP already have the kiddie coaster from GL in storage?

Shaggy

http://www.rcdb.com/634.htm

GL's kiddie coaster was sold to a park in France, it was one of the first deals to happen.

Honestly for me it is not about who has the most coasters. I mean some people think of this war between SFMM and CP like children fighting who got the most toys during the Holidays. It's more about quality than quantity. Also SFMM has something CP does not, land to expand upon.

Don't they have a parking lot coaster?

Do they ever!

p10695.jpg

They also count this as a coaster... which has always been up for debate. Actually, it serves as one gigantic lawn ornament AFAIK. I have no idea if the thing is, or is not operating these days.

p269.jpg

The interesting thing about the latter picture is the fact that in the background you can see cars parked in an essentialy empty parking lot. Where those cars are parked is where Scream... the coaster in the former picture... now resides. Also of note is the fact that the latter picture was likely taken from the observation tower... something that also has only had sporadic operating times through the years. (The picture is also absent the station/lift hill of Goliath, which was built intertwining with Colossus.)

Shaggy

To me Six Flags Magic Mountain has just built some senseless things, like Scream for example. It seems to me like they just stuck it in a parking lot and took away another park dong a lot more with said coaster, oh wait. I agree with Nemo here, quality over quantity, Cedar Point has both down to an art. I cannot say the same for SFMM considering I have never been to the park.

Since when does moving into a tie reclaim a crown?

Not to mention if I were Dick Kinzel, I'd very quietly go out and buy two small kiddie coasters and add to my Snoopy area at the Point.

Why two? One would still let them keep their title, and then in 2011, they could add another, to draw more families to buy passes.

Also, according to this article:

Shapiro said Magic Mountain will get a new roller coaster in 2010 and a Wiggles World kiddie land by 2011.

If that happens, I could see a new kiddie coaster being added, so that would put them one coaster ahead of CP in 2011 if CP adds nothing. But, I see CP getting a coaster in 2011, to either go ahead by one coaster or stay tied at the least.

The old Six Flags under Gary Story is long gone. The new one under Messrs Dan Snyder and Mark Shapiro may or may not be running the place this time next year. What once was may or may not indicate what will be. It could also be said there can be no assurance that Cedar Point will be under the same management three or five years from now, either. Nothing is forever, and that which once was may no longer be.

And yes. Cedar Point does put a lot more theming into there rides and makes them "fit" better, as where SFMM just throws roller coasters down, and in the oddest of places.

You think so?

I don't find theming to be CF's forte either. They've had a few installs that suit the area in name and sometimes look... but overall THEMING isn't their gig.

Typically, Cedar Fair develops a coaster and attatches a noteworthy name to it. Sometime it "fits" the area, sometimes is doesn't. Of course nothing can cause us to scratch our heads quite like an Aztec Tomb in the middle of Rivertown... but that's another story.

Typically, CF chooses monster or beast type names with some weight to them as a stand alone. There's little regards to the surroundings IMO. Raptor, Hydra, Talon, Diamondback, Behemoth, Firehawk etc etc etc. None of those have *anything* to do with their surroundings in the parks.

The best example of this is actually a forthcoming install... Intimidator at KD. It's a Nascar-named ride who's entrance will lie off the FOF plaza. FOF's entrance happens to have a theme of an "off limits government area." But that lies in the middle of a "Congo" themed section of the park. And the Congo themed area of the park also includes a Hollywood Back-Lot themed ride.

Confused? We all are...

I guess the point is... the days of regional "Theme Park" chains adhering to "Themed" areas are loooooong gone.

Shaggy

Terpy is usually careful to type what he means and mean what he types. He typed two. Why is for someone else to interpret...he's done enough for now.

Because you know something about what will be installed in SFMM next year that we don't? :blink: Like they will install two coasters to put them ahead by one coaster, so CP would need to install two? :blink: That's all I've got. You always confuse me. Can someone else please tell me what Terpy is indirectly saying?

Cedar Point should bring the big dipper to add to their total.

Big Dipper was auctioned off to a moving company who made the purchase for an undisclosed buyer.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=91687

BAINBRIDGE -- The gavel came down Tuesday and The Big Dipper, Geauga Lake amusement park's centerpiece roller coaster, went for $5,000 to Apex Western Machinery Movers of Akron.

But the story doesn't end there. Apex's Tom Woosnam said he was bidding for a buyer whose name he would not disclose.

And CP does not have a space issue. This has been a myth for about 30 years now, and somehow they seem to keep building the park up more and more.

And whenever they finally do run out of room, CP has land along Rye Beach Road for a new parking lot. LONG term plans are to either shuttle or monorail guests in.

As far as future place for a ride: CP has had Demon Drop on the selling block since 2005. That area has a decent size footprint especially if incorporates part of the parking lot next to it. The way I look at it, you don't put a ride up for sale unless you have plans for that area. And planning for a ride generally takes 3-5 years, and perhaps even longer for bigger projects, you could see something big go in there.

Or I am completely wrong and talking out my a$$. :lol:

Photo from PointBuzz: http://www.pointbuzz.com/Photos/Photo.aspx?id=3264

There is more than a little chance that the current owner of Big Dipper is Cedar Fair. The sale was almost certainly contingent on the coaster being removed by a date certain, a date which most probably has already passed. There is some chance it may be a coaster which is being considered for installation by Bay Beach in Wisconsin:

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19805

In any event, the moving company buyer apparently had bought Big Dipper in the hopes of charging someone else to move it. As pointed out in the thread I have cited, oftentimes the cost of a used wooden coaster is far less than the cost to dismantle, relocate and reinstall it.

Of course nothing can cause us to scratch our heads quite like an Aztec Tomb in the middle of Rivertown... but that's another story.

Typically, CF chooses monster or beast type names with some weight to them as a stand alone. There's little regards to the surroundings IMO. Raptor, Hydra, Talon, Diamondback, Behemoth, Firehawk etc etc etc. None of those have *anything* to do with their surroundings in the parks.

Uh, first of all, The Crypt is a Hindu temple, not an Aztec Tomb, and it today contains a pink bat demon, giant Hindu goddess, and (according to the t-shirt) an Egyptian mummy. DUH. Get it right. :P So for those of you counting, Rivertown is a mysterious Ohio settlement town that plays host to a pink bat, a Hindu goddess, an Egyptian Mummy, a savage beast, and a giant snake.

And really no, the rides don't necessarily fit, but they easily COULD with a bit of a pre-show, even if told through signs. Hydra did place Hercules, so that's actually a bit clever. Talon and Raptor are so named because you appear to be in the grip of a bird of prey. A giant nest in the queue would easily tell people this. Diamondback is, as I said above, another unique animal to find a home in Rivertown. When discussing it in print material to give to my friends, I prefer to call it "Operation: Firehawk" because I think that well explains what it's supposed to be: a government prototype flight device for which you're the guinea pig. It makes sense and fits in X-Base in that regard, and again, could be easily explained in a short pre-show video or even a sign or two scattered about the queue.

Intimidator, no that doesn't make sense. At all. I actually tend to think Flight of Fear does make sense in the Congo because of my ever-optimistic mind... As if the government set up a secret facility in the deep jungle. It requires that their Flight of Fear have a different storyline than ours (perhaps, you stumble upon an abandoned government facility during your jungle trek, find an old, decaying spaceship within, wander into it, etc.). However, even that storyline sort of falls through with the new Intimidator.

The two could be CLOSER to matching if they recieved their own X-Base redo, but who knows if that will happen. It really should, since that would also encompass their Backlot Stunt Coaster. All three are in the same corner. But then again, their map no longer highlights differently themed areas anyway, since it's a Cedar Fair style map, so it wouldn't make a difference to the casual park-goer.

If Cedar Fair owns Kings Island five more years (and I seriously question that it will), I suspect there will not even be a vestige of the differentiations between the old themed areas left. There will be a waterpark and a dry park with a separate kids area. And one or more hotels on or at least near property, if they can figure out how to do it.

And yes. Cedar Point does put a lot more theming into there rides and makes them "fit" better, as where SFMM just throws roller coasters down, and in the oddest of places.

You think so?

I don't find theming to be CF's forte either. They've had a few installs that suit the area in name and sometimes look... but overall THEMING isn't their gig.

I'm sure you already know this, but I feel it needs to be mentioned anyway.

CF does not claim to have theme parks. Sure, they will put little effort to theme a ride, but that's it.

Paramount claimed to be a theme park, and it was their decision to place rides in certain areas i.e. Tomb Raider in Rivertown, FoF in Congo etc.