Six Flags Magic Mountain to reclaim coaster crown in 2010

And yes. Cedar Point does put a lot more theming into there rides and makes them "fit" better, as where SFMM just throws roller coasters down, and in the oddest of places.

You think so?

I don't find theming to be CF's forte either. They've had a few installs that suit the area in name and sometimes look... but overall THEMING isn't their gig.

I'm sure you already know this, but I feel it needs to be mentioned anyway.

CF does not claim to have theme parks. Sure, they will put little effort to theme a ride, but that's it.

Paramount claimed to be a theme park, and it was their decision to place rides in certain areas i.e. Tomb Raider in Rivertown, FoF in Congo etc.

And that's one of the reasons I love CF, I don't like theme parks, and I love traditional random Amusement Parks

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And one or more hotels on or at least near property, if they can figure out how to do it.

Isn't that kind of what Great Wolf Lodge serves as? Sure, it's not owned by KI, but it has a walking path there and a lot of people stay there while at KI.

Yes, but that money isn't going into Cedar Fair's pockets

Of course nothing can cause us to scratch our heads quite like an Aztec Tomb in the middle of Rivertown... but that's another story.

Typically, CF chooses monster or beast type names with some weight to them as a stand alone. There's little regards to the surroundings IMO. Raptor, Hydra, Talon, Diamondback, Behemoth, Firehawk etc etc etc. None of those have *anything* to do with their surroundings in the parks.

Uh, first of all, The Crypt is a Hindu temple, not an Aztec Tomb, and it today contains a pink bat demon, giant Hindu goddess, and (according to the t-shirt) an Egyptian mummy. DUH. Get it right. :P So for those of you counting, Rivertown is a mysterious Ohio settlement town that plays host to a pink bat, a Hindu goddess, an Egyptian Mummy, a savage beast, and a giant snake.

And really no, the rides don't necessarily fit, but they easily COULD with a bit of a pre-show, even if told through signs. Hydra did place Hercules, so that's actually a bit clever. Talon and Raptor are so named because you appear to be in the grip of a bird of prey. A giant nest in the queue would easily tell people this. Diamondback is, as I said above, another unique animal to find a home in Rivertown. When discussing it in print material to give to my friends, I prefer to call it "Operation: Firehawk" because I think that well explains what it's supposed to be: a government prototype flight device for which you're the guinea pig. It makes sense and fits in X-Base in that regard, and again, could be easily explained in a short pre-show video or even a sign or two scattered about the queue.

Intimidator, no that doesn't make sense. At all. I actually tend to think Flight of Fear does make sense in the Congo because of my ever-optimistic mind... As if the government set up a secret facility in the deep jungle. It requires that their Flight of Fear have a different storyline than ours (perhaps, you stumble upon an abandoned government facility during your jungle trek, find an old, decaying spaceship within, wander into it, etc.). However, even that storyline sort of falls through with the new Intimidator.

The two could be CLOSER to matching if they recieved their own X-Base redo, but who knows if that will happen. It really should, since that would also encompass their Backlot Stunt Coaster. All three are in the same corner. But then again, their map no longer highlights differently themed areas anyway, since it's a Cedar Fair style map, so it wouldn't make a difference to the casual park-goer.

I think you just spent a lot of time reaffirming my point. Don't try to rationalize any consistant "theme" in the parks. There isn't one. Resistance is futile.

Shaggy

Or, if you are Six Flags Great Adventure theming what was at the time the Spongebob action theater attraction, paper machete decorations from the local dollar store.

What exactly do machete's made of paper have to do with the Spongebob action theater?

I don't see Cedar Point letting this slide.

Honestly.

"Tallest, Fastest, Meanest coaster in (Insert location of park here)." If they are that desprate for records, can you seriously see them loosing Cedar Point's Most Coasters in One Park Record?

Both parks are wasting their time,and valuable cap ex dollars to fund a stupid "arms race" that very few enthusiasts seem to care about these days let alone the GP.There comes a time where you must say how much is too much? because with each new ride added it means less chances for families to do the park in one day & while pass holding enthusiasts can afford an extra night of hotel accomadations(or sleeping in the cars) the average family cannot.

Now I could understand this more if it were two parks in the same state but since SFMM is all the way out in LA california why should CP give a darn about how many coasters MM has? it's simply not good for their bottom line financially & DK's ego needs to take a backseat to that because if he keeps t his up CF is just gonna end up in the same financial situation that SFI is currently in.

because with each new ride added it means less chances for families to do the park in one day & while pass holding enthusiasts can afford an extra night of hotel accomadations(or sleeping in the cars) the average family cannot.

So are you saying that if a family cannot do the park in a day, they won't come?

I'm just looking for a little clarification.

• 1 month later...

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/news/...091118_01.shtml

...While park officials didn't reveal the name or theme, the roller coaster won't exactly be new. Six Flags is recycling this family coaster from their closed theme park in New Orleans, where it operated under the name Road Runner Express.

This roller coaster last operated in August 2005 and closed along with Six Flags New Orleans after the park suffered extensive damage from Hurricane Katrina...

Not necessary. It is a myth that Cedar Point is out of land to build rides.

In addition, the company is in no financial condition to buy more land...and adjoining landowners would hold it hostage to very high prices. This is a major reason that it is so foolhardy to sell 'excess' lands at parks, unless it is truly excess.

Kings Island used to own much more land than it does today, but much of that can be traced to the Lindner organization retaining quite a bit of it when it sold the park itself.

Finally, other than a few enthusiasts, very few care whether or not a park has a record number of coasters, or even record-breaking coasters.

Is most coasters in one park the only record CP has?

well, there is lots of records,

I believe they are the only park with 2 full circuit costers over 300ft, I believe the only park with 3 over 200ft. Most record breaking coasters....etc etc

Is most coasters in one park the only record CP has?

well, there is lots of records,

...I believe the only park with 3 over 200ft. ...

Top Thrill Dragster is over 400 feet tall, Millennium Force is over 300 feet tall, Magnum is over 200 feet tall, and Wicked Twister stands at 215 feet tall. Unless you're not counting it because it's a shuttle coaster, there are 4 coasters at Cedar Point over 200 feet. Just saying. :)