What do you FEAR?

TylerRider

My first fear weeks in advance is, as Terpy said, how long the line will be. I wondered for quite a few weeks how long the line for Diamondback would be on Opening Day. Once I was there and on it, I was nervous on the first drop and got the stomach in my throat feeling. Also, I was scared I would fly out because of the way I came out of my seat. On other new rides I get kinda nervous going up the lift hill.

Mine is just not knowing how the coaster is layd out not to know where drops are and inversions.

In the days before the Internets, I remember riding many new coasters for the first time, with no idea whatsoever what the layout was. I miss those days. Now, even if I consciously try to ignore the diagrams, animations, etc., I usually find I know exactly what the layout is long before the ride opens. Well, except Maverick...and that ended up being shortly before the ride opened...a few weeks at most...

I'm always nervous it will break down a few trains before I ride.

Unfortunately I don't really have fear any more and coasters just don't quite thrill me like they did when I was younger. I really miss getting nervous or scared and how intense it made the ride.

TTD did kinda get me though. I was so excited to ride and nothing can prepare you for that launch.

^ Kinda the same. I get thrilled by coasters but in a different way. When I was younger I wasn't scared of coasters or rides with the exception of Son of Beast and Drop Zone. But every time I'd ride something I'd be nervous going up the lift but than once I'd go down the drop I'd start having fun. Now I'm more thrilled in an enthusiastic (really happy I'm riding..) way, and don't get scared. The last time I was ever scared from a coaster was in 2003 on my first ride on TTD and that same day my first ride on Millennium Force. I kinda wish I was still a little scared because it made each ride so much more thrilling!

Fear of catastrophic failure is on my list, but that's what makes it fun. For example, the "runaway" sections on Beast (the segment before the 2nd lift hill, and the helix) produce a "fear-for-my-life" kind of mindset. If I didn't genuinely experience this fear, then that ride really wouldn't be any fun at all. It is the perception of danger that provides the thrill for me. Only I think I take it a step further than most people. I consider the fact that I, as a rider, really am flirting with danger. I know that nothing man-made is 100% failsafe, and I acknowledge the fact that a rider is literally betting their life that The Beast train is going to return to the station with him/her still safely inside it.

On Drop Tower, I fear falling out of the restraint somehow (I am not fond of heights so there's an adrenaline rush involved).

On Son of Beast, I feared the pain inflicted on my spine in addition to fearing for my life... oh, wait, wrong thread :P:lol:

It sounds goofy coming from somewone who is a coaster nut, but I am scared to death of heights!

The first lift is terrible for me on any coaster. I can not ride Ferris Wheels, or Drop Tower.

A coaster is a bit different though, because once you go over the first lift, and the speed kicks in, I'm fine, and I love the ride.

Just the S L O W climb up the first hill gets me :)

It sounds goofy coming from somewone who is a coaster nut, but I am scared to death of heights!

The first lift is terrible for me on any coaster. I can not ride Ferris Wheels, or Drop Tower.

A coaster is a bit different though, because once you go over the first lift, and the speed kicks in, I'm fine, and I love the ride.

Just the S L O W climb up the first hill gets me :)

This adds to the thrill though, does it not? :)

I'm petrified of heights. I sometimes become completely paralyzed during the ride up on Drop Tower. I don't know if it's actually vertigo or not, but I get a very real sensation that I'm going to fall out of the seat. That makes the ride, for me, more intense than it would otherwise be. Fear can be a good thing :P