HoliWood Nights OR CoasterMania, but not both, or not all of both

The ONLY reason for that was the ACE convention was held at, among other places, certain Cedar Fair parks that year...Cedar Point knew many enthusiasts would like to hit the Point along the way, and now that those parks shared an owner...

http://www.aceonline.org/Events/history.aspx

page_white_magnify.png 06/15/2007: CoasterMania (Park-sponsored)

star.png Cedar Point (Sandusky, OH)

page_white_magnify.png 06/16/2007: CoasterEXT (Park-sponsored)

star.png Geauga Lake & Wildwater Kingdom (Aurora, OH)

page_white_magnify.png 06/17/2007 - 06/23/2007: CoasterCon XXX (National)

star.png Kings Island (Kings Mills, OH) star.png Stricker's Grove (Hamilton, OH) star.png Holiday World & Splashin' Safari (Santa Claus, IN) star.png Beech Bend Park (Bowling Green, KY)

I love these lines that were under the Holiwood Nights for Dummies category.

No, we don't "staple," but lap bars will rest on your lap (or tum-tum, as the case may be)

For the photo walkback, please wear sneakers or other closed-toed shoes. It's gravel-y and steep in places. Oh, and deodorant

For the love of all that's precious...it's pronounced "HOLL-ih-wood" not "HOLY-wood"!

There's no extra credit if you belong to more than one club ... but we'll do our best to act like we're impressed

:lol:

Paula Werne aka RavenMaven, of Holiday World PR, has made the following statement on rec.roller-coaster on USENET:

As I'm sure you can imagine, it's a complicated schedule ... no matter

when we hold HWN, someone will be upset and there will always be other

events held at the same time.

As I understand it, CM is the first Friday of June. Sometimes this

falls on the weekend following Memorial Day and other times it's two

weekends after the holiday. So for us to hold HWN on the first weekend

after MD, we'll overlap with CM three out of every six years. If we'd

push later than those two weekends, then we're up against the ACE Con.

After that, our park's closing hours are later, so ERT would end up

going past midnight, which we'd rather not do.

Earlier in the season is tough because we hold breakfast ERT in

Splashin' Safari ... and May can be iffy regarding temps (especially

overnight, which affects water temp). And, frankly, Memorial Day

Weekend is hard on our staff, as there are many local graduations and

such.

So it's a little bit of everything that brought us to choose the first

weekend following Memorial Day for HoliWood Nights. Hope you can make

it!

Thanks, Paula

Holiday World PR

I've never been to Holiwood Nights, but in any case I'll be going to Coaster Mania. That's a fantastic weekend at CP. The ride counts on Saturday this year were astronomical for me, and I can spend a full day at Cedar Point much easier than I can spend a full day at Holiday World. After about 3 laps on Gobbler Getaway, it gets a little old.. ;)

I sure hope they are not the same weekend. But if they are, I might just lean toward Holiwood Nights. We were at CM this year and while the event was a lot of fun, the ERTs were crowded. Most people could only get 3 laps on Maverick durning the Friday night ERT.

We also have 2010 PP for CF so I am sure we will be to CP before the CM event.

I think both Dvo and DaveStroem bring up valid points. I'd say that the tipping point for me is those night rides on the Voyage. Holiday World's operating schedule just doesn't allow you the opportunity for night rides very often, so the opportunity for two + hours of them is very cool. We really enjoyed our Holiwood Nights experience last year and will definitely be back next year.

I'd love to get to Cedar Point for Coastermania, and we were going to go this year, but when we saw the ERT schedule we immediately knew it was not going to be good from a quantity of rides standpoint. Having the ERTs only last an hour on Maverick isn't a good start, and when you compound that by having that as essentially the only ride available for ERT it spells trouble. I understand the Raptor ERT was OK, but I'd suspect that was more due to the later hours. As a side note, if KI decides to do Ride Warriors Weekend again, I really hope they extend the ERT out to include The Beast as well as DB (assuming that DB ERT is at night again).

We were at CM this year and while the event was a lot of fun, the ERTs were crowded. Most people could only get 3 laps on Maverick during the Friday night ERT.

I am sure we will be to CP before the CM event.

Completely agree. If they are the same weekend, I will undoubtedly go to HoliWood Nights.

IMO, I go to Cedar Point.

I'm almost for sure going to go to Holiday World at some point or another next year, and I only get one Cedar Point trip a year. So obviously, I choose the park with 17 roller coasters and over 6 hours of ERT. Holiwood Nights is undoubtedly great, but if you can do everything during normal hours, then why choose to go for the event? CoasterMania gives you the opportunity to lap rides you normally could never dream of lapping, like Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, maXair, Raptor, etc... not to mention it's cheaper with a platinum pass, and well, it's Cedar Point!

Jackson, who renewed his platinum pass on Sunday, and plans to make good use of it...

Hmm, I plan on getting an ACE membership, but I'm not sure which one I'll go to. This year I went to CP 7 times, and next year will most likely be similar. However, I've only been to Holiday World once, so I'm leaning towards HoliWood Nights.

Plus the Voyage is just amazing.

I choose the park with 17 roller coasters and over 6 hours of ERT. Holiwood Nights is undoubtedly great, but if you can do everything during normal hours, then why choose to go for the event? CoasterMania gives you the opportunity to lap rides you normally could never dream of lapping, like Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, maXair, Raptor, etc

That's the problem. ERT at Cedar Point is always packed, and the no reride policy kind of blows. On Maverick ERT night, I got 6 Mav rides in one hour. I've been to CP on a cool Sunday when it's 10 times less crowded than it was during an enthusiast event.

ERT at Holiday World is pretty much a station wait.. that and they let you reride as much as you want, event or no event. I got 3 Voyage rides in less than 15 minutes at HoliWood Nights.

CM offered us coffee, donuts, and OJ at only 2 ERT rides for breakfast.

HW Nights took us ALL to the water park, sat us down, and offered us milk, orange juice, fresh fruit, and muffins for breakfast.

HW Nights has ERT before and after the park closes, including ERT in their outstanding waterpark, and they run ERT until past midnight on all three top notch woodies.

AND they run their coasters in the pouring rain.. plus their food is cheaper, their park is cleaner, and their employees are friendlier.

More coasters isn't always better.. CP chooses quantity, HW chooses quality.

It's HoliWood Nights for me, hands down (or shall I say hands up? ;) ).

If someone says that CP is the best park cause they have the most coasters, I agree. That's a horrible way to judge a park.

That statement is why CP is not my favorite park.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I've been thinking about it lately, and after reading some of the replies on this topic, I chose HoliWood Nights. I haven't been since 2001 and I was only 9 and wasn't a coaster enthusiast back then. Plus the more I read about it, the better it sounds! Breakfast at Splashin' Safari, ERT on Wildebeest (and I'm sure other slides), ERT on Legend, Raven, and Voyage! Sounds so amazing! As much fun as I had at CM08' I think I'd rather go to HWN10'.

If someone says that CP is the best park cause they have the most coasters, I agree. That's a horrible way to judge a park.

That statement is why CP is not my favorite park.

Thanks for pointing that out.

You're welcome.

Holiday World is truly a hidden gem, and knowing that people are going to shun the family owned and operated park for the big flashy money-hungry park "because they have more coasters" simply makes me shake my head in disgust.

Did you shake your head in disgust when Cedar Fair built Millennium Force? When they built Maverick? When they bought Paramount Parks?

Parks are a business, whether family owned or corporate. And Cedar Fair is money hungry right now as it must pay off its debt. It is not as if it has a choice in the matter.

Did you shake your head in disgust when Cedar Fair built Millennium Force? When they built Maverick? When they bought Paramount Parks?

Parks are a business, whether family owned or corporate. And Cedar Fair is money hungry right now as it must pay off its debt. It is not as if it has a choice in the matter.

Not what I meant. I meant people who think "more coasters equal better parks" just make no sense to me.

Simmer down, you know I love ya. :P

When Adam told me about this the other day, my immediate reaction was "well, no CoasterMania for me next year." I missed HoliWood nights this year for ACE Dives at Busch Gardens Europe, something I will never regret doing because it allowed me to ride the Big Bad Wolf before it was too late. However, all the great stories from HWN09 made me decide it was a definite for next year. CM09 didn't impress me as much as I expected it to, especially with the crowded ERT sessions. I'm not getting into the "which park is better and why" argument, I'm just saying that I think I will prefer going to HoliWood Nights over CoasterMania. So, that will be at least one less person at CM next year!

As much as I like Cedar Point, I've grown to like Holiday World just as much, if not more than Cedar Point. I went to CoasterMania! this year and LOVED it. Having said that, some ERT was poorly planned. I only got one ride on my favorite steel coaster, Maverick, because hundreds of enthusiasts were forced to ride that coaster if they wanted rides. Why? There was no real overlap in ERT.

I've already been to CoasterMania! and know that it will be awesome in 2010. If the two events end up being on the same days, however, I'll choose HoliWood Nights simply because I haven't been to it and because Holiday World is REALLY growing on me.

If you like water rides then I'd choose Splashin' Safari over Cedar Point. I've seen the stuff for both Shoot the Rapids and Wildebeest and I have to say that I'm more excited about Wildebeest. You'll almost certainly get ERT on Wildebeest at HoliWood Nights, but will you get ERT on Shoot the Rapids at Cedar Point? Who Knows?

Finally, Holiday World does not limit the number of guests you can bring to HoliWood Nights, whereas Cedar Point limits you to one guest per club member. This is the perfect chance to bring a few people you know who like going to parks and riding rides who will undoubtedly enjoy both the event and the park.

Well, after seeing all these posts about HW, and seeing that practically everyone and their Kat is going sourh, I guess it looks like I'll be going to Holiday World.

I hope Voyage is as good as they say it is.

Jackson, I don't like to hype coasters that I haven't ridden too much for fear that the ride won't live up to the hype. Simply put, there is NO WAY to overhype The Voyage. It really is THAT good! I do slightly prefer steel to wood when it comes to coasters, but The Voyage is my favorite coaster overall and I like it A LOT more than I do Maverick. You will LOVE The Voyage!

I choose the park with 17 roller coasters and over 6 hours of ERT. Holiwood Nights is undoubtedly great, but if you can do everything during normal hours, then why choose to go for the event? CoasterMania gives you the opportunity to lap rides you normally could never dream of lapping, like Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, maXair, Raptor, etc

That's the problem. ERT at Cedar Point is always packed, and the no reride policy kind of blows. On Maverick ERT night, I got 6 Mav rides in one hour. I've been to CP on a cool Sunday when it's 10 times less crowded than it was during an enthusiast event.

ERT at Holiday World is pretty much a station wait.. that and they let you reride as much as you want, event or no event. I got 3 Voyage rides in less than 15 minutes at HoliWood Nights.

CM offered us coffee, donuts, and OJ at only 2 ERT rides for breakfast.

HW Nights took us ALL to the water park, sat us down, and offered us milk, orange juice, fresh fruit, and muffins for breakfast.

HW Nights has ERT before and after the park closes, including ERT in their outstanding waterpark, and they run ERT until past midnight on all three top notch woodies.

AND they run their coasters in the pouring rain.. plus their food is cheaper, their park is cleaner, and their employees are friendlier.

It's HoliWood Nights for me, hands down (or shall I say hands up? ;) ).

Running a coaster in the pouring rain is a very big safety risk. Indiana's ride laws are also different then Ohio's. I was at Holiday World for StarkRavenMad in 2003, and we had the event cut short after the 2nd day due to a accident on The Raven. I did like Holiday World alot, but due to the far drive from Columbus and having to pay for the hotel, gas, food, and to get into the park, i havent went back even though i went with my family and they still go every year for Holiwood Nights. I am thinking that CP tryed a new thing this year for ERT for CoasterMania to see what people thought. I did like the 6 am ERT and the after the park closed ERT. I did see this year that they didnt do a q&a thing. The q&a always ended up being a whining session. Lol. I am hoping that CP brings back the 6 am and the after the park closed ERT. CP and HW is 2 different parks as far as competing with the other park chains. HW isnt really trying to compete with the other park chains. Cp is competing with Six Flags, Disney, and the other chains to try to gain people and to see who can out do who as far as coasters go. Six Flags is going down hill and Disney flat out charges way too much to get into the parks and for food. Cp is clean and they do have nice staff. We use to have 2 Six Flags owned parks in Ohio, and they both was run down. HW is a very good park all the way around. But if you hold Holiwood Nights and CoasterMania at the same time, it may be split on Indiana or Ohio. But if CP gets ahold of the schedule of events for HoliWood Nights, CP could change the events and ERT for CoasterMania to draw more people.

Finally, Holiday World does not limit the number of guests you can bring to HoliWood Nights, whereas Cedar Point limits you to one guest per club member. This is the perfect chance to bring a few people you know who like going to parks and riding rides who will undoubtedly enjoy both the event and the park.

I'd forgotten about that.

I in no way meant to demoralize or insult Cedar Point in my previous posts, I was merely trying to point out a difference in the way each park handles an event. Anyone who has been to the park with me KNOWS how much I love it.. they just have a way of organizing enthusiast events that I don't find particularly appealing.

Last year, HW closed to the public Friday night, and held ERT for enthusiasts only. Then on Saturday, the park opened to enthusiasts before it opened to the public, we got walkbacks on all 3 woodies (each walkback took us ALL THE WAY BACK!), and then closed to the public for a few hours of ERT on all three woodies. I even shook hands with Korey Keipert from the Gravity Group.

IT. WAS. AH-MAZING.

I highly suggest that any self respecting coaster enthusiast who has never been to this event make plans to go to it. And yes, Voyage can not be hyped enough.. several months of friends raving about it did not prepare me for that insane, out of control, breathtaking coaster.. it even left ME speechless afterward (which is pretty hard to do :lol: ).

You will NOT be disappointed. :)

Well, after seeing all these posts about HW, and seeing that practically everyone and their Kat is going sourh, I guess it looks like I'll be going to Holiday World.

I hope Voyage is as good as they say it is.

The Voyage is NOT as good as they say it is.

It's BETTER.

'Nuff said.

Unless you're talking about Terpy. Why don't you enjoy Voyage as much, Terpy? I think it has pretty good laterals.