Which is more fun?

JAHill

I pondered this question today and thought I'd poll the forums about it. This isn't limited to KI, but anywhere. (This may be a difficult question to some because some people memorize the layouts of every ride. Ever.)

Which do you think is a more fun coaster experience? Knowing the layout when you are riding, or not knowing the layout when riding?

Pros of knowing:

You can do something to insure something fun will happen on an upcoming element. (Ex: Moving in your seat for a more comfortable experience on an upcoming hill)

Pros of not knowing:

Element of surprise (Not much else to say on this one.)

Not knowing the layout. The example that instantly comes to mind is The Voyage. I watched the teaser video before it opened many moons ago, but I never checked out the layout again. And two weekends ago I went to Holiday World, having no idea where the ride would take me. And wow. That first ride was just fantastic.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't watch Maverick's POV at all before I rode, and it was a terrific surprise.

As many times as I watched Voyage's POV and looked at videos and pics, NOTHING prepared me for that wild, fantastic ride. And as many times as I watched DB's animated POV before it opened, it didn't prepare me for that out-of-your-seat air that puts such a ****-eating grin on my face. :D

I agree with not knowing until you ride.. you can't feel lats or airtime while watching a POV.

I think it's a two-edged sword for me. If I'm traveling to another city there's a good chance that I'm there specifically because I want to visit a specific park (or at the very least if I'm in the city I'm looking for a new park to visit). So much of how we decide where to go are based on what the park has to offer, and obviously that includes coasters. We like to look at POVs of the "bigger" coasters any park has to determine if it's worth investigating, and therefore, we usually know the layout of those coasters beforehand. However, a lot of those same parks will have rides that aren't on our radar, and we don't know much about those from a layout perspective.

Personally, if given a choice I'd probably prefer to know. My friend rode the Voyage for the first time at Holiwood Nights (in the now legendary storm aftermath) and thought that it was too wild for her. We came back for the Coasterbuzz event in September, in the daylight, and she enjoyed it a great deal more simply because she could see what was coming. I do find it interesting that the Voyage has already been mentioned three times in this discussion!

I only voted for "knowing" because I'm not sure in recent years or future that I'll ride a ride without knowing the layout. I get so excited about new rides that I research them until I could see the whole ride in my sleep. If I were going to go a park for the first time then I'll likely not be able to contain my excitement and beforehand I'll research every onride, pov, offride, and construction video of each ride in the park.

Yes, I also searched for my xmass presents as a kid...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I know the layout of almost all major coasters throughout the world (roller coasters are my life, everything I do involves them) so I always know whats coming up and I can prepare for it. But sometimes for fun I'll close my eyes (if I've ridden that ride alot) and maybe even cover my ears so I don't know whats happening just to see what it's like to ride as the general public.

I remember when Diamondback was about to be announced and I was tempted to not look at it, or even follow construction at all and just ride in April for the first time so I won't know anything about the ride (besides the noticeable stuff.) But being a giant coaster geek I am, within a second after it was announced I was watching POV's and looking at photos.

So really, even though It's fun to have everything be a surprise (like it used to be for me along time ago), I like knowing all the statistics about the ride so I can show off my nerdy-ness to people. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I try hard to not know the layout because the element of surprise adds so much. However, I watched DB's webcam nearly daily but that took nothing away from my first ride. I've done the same, so far, with the Intimidators.

Otherwise, I try to only watch POV's of rides I've ridden or don't think I'll ride in the near future.

I certainly get excited about new rides but there is something about jumping on your favorite coaster (esp for the first time on a trip) that is a bigger thrill to me. Cresting the first hill on Beast or the launch of FoF never fails to get my adrenaline running even though I've ridden them both many times.

Going to Busch Gardens this year I only knew the layouts of AC and Griffon's layout. The rest I didn't really know what to expect. I did like the suprises on their B&M Invert! That was great. Yet, I wish I would have known what was coming on Big Bad Wolf and Lochness Monster so I could brace myself. I never wanna ride those 2 coasters again. I don't have to worry bout riding BBW anymore anyways.