HH Cancelled for Thursday, 10/8

XGatorHead 8904

Yeah, tomorrow is looking to be a messy day too. I'm wondering if tonight's expected high winds and flood watch are contributing factors. And I'm hoping they're open tomorrow for a variety of reasons!

Posted from my (new) BlackBerry mobile device.

Perhaps, but the flood watches are mostly for people in the valley. Kings Island sits 24 miles to the north, well away from any real flooding threat, aside from the Little Miami, which I don't believe they've had any problems with before.

I feel bad for my friend Schuyler. He and his friends drove down from Bowling Green (Ohio) to go to KI to find that they were closed. That's a 3 hour drive.

His response to my apology: "Well they decided to close it like an hour ago. I feel like that's something a park should do a day in advance."

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with him there.

Yeah, tomorrow is looking to be a messy day too. I'm wondering if tonight's expected high winds and flood watch are contributing factors. And I'm hoping they're open tomorrow for a variety of reasons!

Posted from my (new) BlackBerry mobile device.

Perhaps, but the flood watches are mostly for people in the valley. Kings Island sits 24 miles to the north, well away from any real flooding threat, aside from the Little Miami, which I don't believe they've had any problems with before.

Except Kings Island doesn't sit on completely flat land; the majority of it is hilly and the back half sits inside a valley of its own. If you've been to the park on stormy days like this, you'll notice spots where there's close to three inches of water on the ground. I would expect that there are going to be some BIG puddles come tomorrow at the park.

EDIT: I think the decision to close the park down was made at roughly 3:00, as I was called roughly 20 minutes after.

I feel bad for my friend Schuyler. He and his friends drove down from Bowling Green (Ohio) to go to KI to find that they were closed. That's a 3 hour drive.

His response to my apology: "Well they decided to close it like an hour ago. I feel like that's something a park should do a day in advance."

Agreed. The least they could do is open the park, Haunt or no Haunt. I've been to KI in worse rain and enjoyed it.

While it is too bad for your friend, he would have the same resources of predicting the weather as the park does.

Now if the park would have announced being closed yesterday, and the weather would ended up being beautiful, there would be more upset people. And along with that, if the park did open the gates, and nothing operated due to weather, then the park would be accused of "stealing" money from guests.

There is no good solution here, and the park held out to make the decision as long as they could.

It's a thursday night and a school night. I am sure the crowds would have been pretty light. Now add pouring down rain on top of that. I am pretty sure the park would have practically been empty. How much money would the park make on a day like that? My guess is probably.....not a lot.

While it is too bad for your friend, he would have the same resources of predicting the weather as the park does.

Now if the park would have announced being closed yesterday, and the weather would ended up being beautiful, there would be more upset people. And along with that, if the park did open the gates, and nothing operated due to weather, then the park would be accused of "stealing" money from guests.

There is no good solution here, and the park held out to make the decision as long as they could.

Where do they say that the park closes in the event of rain? That would solve that easily.

It's a thursday night and a school night. I am sure the crowds would have been pretty light. Now add pouring down rain on top of that. I am pretty sure the park would have practically been empty. 

And that's why I was sooo looking forward to going tonight.Oh well, there's always Sunday for that.

Where do they say that the park closes in the event of rain? That would solve that easily.

Not to sound like a complete ass, but, does the park really need to spell out that they will close if the weather is bad?

HH on a Thursday is not a normal summer day due to the nature of the event, as well as the reduced hours.

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/...cation=USKY0721

For example: I live 5.5 hours from KI. When planning for a trip, I am constantly looking at the weather. If the radar shows a significant amount of rain to the WNW of Cincy, or if there is a front coming from the South, we will not make the trip to the park and alter our plans.

Wouldn't it be nice to control Mother Nature? :rolleyes:

The park operating calendar, hours of operation and events are always subject to change. At least they haven't done what Paramount used to do -- schedule to be open from 10am to 8pm and then announce they're closing at noon. Imagine driving for 3 hours and getting there at 11:30 and assuming you had 8 and a half hour to enjoy the park when you didn't.

Saying the park should make a decision a day in advance is like calling into work saying you'll be sick tomorrow.

Browntgggr is right, they held out as long as they could before making a decision that I'm sure they didn't want to have to make. Trust me - they'd like nothing more than to have your friends in the park spending money all night long. Don't forget that the park technically looses money every hour that it's not open.

I'm sorry. It just reminds me of when Tom and I went to SFKK.

The park opened at 11 am.. we got there at 11:30 am.. they announced at 12:15 pm that they were closing at 12:30 pm for the rest of the day due to rain (IT WAS BARELY SPRINKLING!!).

And on Chang's last operating day at that park, I might add.

FAIL.

So I suppose that remembering such a craptacular incident may have been what prompted part of the disgust in my previous comment.

The park operating calendar, hours of operation and events are always subject to change. At least they haven't done what Paramount used to do -- schedule to be open from 10am to 8pm and then announce they're closing at noon. Imagine driving for 3 hours and getting there at 11:30 and assuming you had 8 and a half hour to enjoy the park when you didn't.

*facepalm*

I remember that, back when they would close the park at, like, 3 in the afternoon on Saturdays in the preseason because it was too cold outside. But it made sense, though, considering most, if not all, of the attractions require the temperature to be at least over 50 degrees (guesstimate) to operate properly.