SOB fixed

DegenRider

hmm... ill going tomorrow and am looking foward to checking this out.

This may be a good day for KI.. a good day indeed.

After visiting Cedar Point, and then coming to KI again, im kinda sad. Ther rides at CP are as smooth as SILK... so we shall see laugh.gif

Bad sparky bad sparky goto your room biggrin.gif

That excuse doesn't cut it anymore! The way it ran today is proof. Plus why were the lapbars replaced if there wasn't somthing wrong. How come today people were loving the ride Cheering not holidng there necks.

I have been on after major track work Nothing NOTHING was this good. A few days I doubt it. Lines were full of reriders. Park is on to somthing with this. Lines were LONG and this worked. People were moving faster.

Area managers saying well major work has been done to speed it up and we know its running better now. I don't think it will return to old.

All I have to say is that it's great that SOB ran great at least one day... but I wouldn't expect it to last long. SOB always performs well after some fresh track work, but after a long week of operation, most likely everything will be back to square one with people holding their necks in pain. I just say is I wouldn't get my hopes up too long, and get a ride in while you have the chance.

Yeah, SOB used to be my least favorite ride, but after riding it in what is usually a painful area of the train, atleast for myself, it was incredibly smooth and enjoyable. Where did they do the retracking, if any? And if it's not retracking, what did they do?

Wow you had a great ride on SOB, no big deal! Everyone on this board has had a great and amazing ride on Son of Beast. Mine came last year on Opening Day, around 45-50 degrees outside. Smooth as glass and very fast. Next time I rode it I came off calling it a #@^ and saying I would never ride it again. I ride it at least once everytime I go, but after my last beating; I think I'm retired from SOB.

Like Tanner said, if anything had been heavily modified, they would have closed the ride down for a while to make the changes. What exactly happend to SoB to make it smoother? They could have worked on it at night in the dark to make some changes, but I doubt that. Mabye just certain sections of the track were replaced with new track to make it smoother? I dont know, but for me, SoB was definitly worth a few bumps in the track now and then. Next time I come I'll see if the track is still smooth and less rough like you said.

I hope they keep the SoB nice and smooth, but if they dont it's no big deal either. biggrin.gif

What could possibly be different now from last weekend? As far as I'm concerned there was never anything wrong with SOB, except the lap bars banging your knees to death. SOB is what I look for in a wooden rollercoaster, it's rough and I can feel it for at least a day after I get off. Anyway why do people gripe about SOB being so rough and never say a word about The Beast rattling and shaking your head and body to pieces. Don't get me wrong I love both rides, and yes I'm a purist and The Beast is the greatest ride on the face of the planet. But I don't dog SOB because I got a bump on my butt or a crick in my neck from it. It too is a great ride and I hope it stands just as long as it's father has and will!!!!

What exactly happend to SoB to make it smoother?

Nothing out of the ordinary happened. They just did some routine track work. Sobrider is just getting a little too excited about it. Don't get me wrong though. The wood coaster maintance personnel work their butts off to keep that thing rideable but what they did is nothing to get overly excited about.

I guess that every ride I've had on SOB has been rough to a point. Sometimes, one ride has been rougher than the other, but I will never stop riding it unless it gets to the point where they need a full time nurse at the exit. I fully expected this ride to be rougher than The Beast, just due to sheer height. I don't really find myself getting beat up too badly except at the bottom of the 1st and 2nd helixes. In fact, aafter the first time I rode it, I thought that it was really no rougher than The Beast. I recall my first ride on The Beast back about late 70's or early 80's and when I exited, I needed an aspirin. But, I never thought in a million years that I would never consider riding it again. I still think it beats on you pretty good to this day.

I rode it last night and the only pain I felt was in my legs from being squeezed into the seats. Usually my back and neck hurt, but last night was better than usual. I'm not saying it will always be better or that it will be better for everyone, just saying that I had an above-average ride for a change. Maybe the changes they made will keep making a difference in the months to come...maybe not...to each their own.

Andy

My first ride on Son of Beast was in July, 2000, and it was rather smooth then.

My second and last ride was in April, 2003, and it was PAINFUL....my legs just banging back and forth between those two bars, I was crying, and begging for someone to stop the ride. I had bruises for days.

I will not ride that coaster again until they fix the restraints-no matter how much you work on a woodie, it will still be jarring like this, simply said, restraints of that design, and a car of that design do not belong on wooden coasters.

Yes, the restraints have been fixed since may. And I think most of you are not taking into account where you sit at when you ride it. If you are sitting on top of a road wheel, it will be severly rough, especially towards the middle. IF you are sitting in the middle seat of a car (where there is no road wheel below you) it will be 200% smoother. Garanteed. The smoothest of all seats is car 6, seat 2. Then its Car 1, seat 2. If you sit in one of those seats, then get right back on and sit in, say, car 3 seat 3, you will think you are on a different ride.

Yes, the restraints have been fixed since may. And I think most of you are not taking into account where you sit at when you ride it. If you are sitting on top of a road wheel, it will be severly rough, especially towards the middle. IF you are sitting in the middle seat of a car (where there is no road wheel below you) it will be 200% smoother. Garanteed. The smoothest of all seats is car 6, seat 2. Then its Car 1, seat 2. If you sit in one of those seats, then get right back on and sit in, say, car 3 seat 3, you will think you are on a different ride.

I sat in car 6 seat 2 for my most recent ride and it still hurt. I'm not one of those that expected a perfect ride though, since I'm well aware that wood coasters are "meant" to beat you up a little. I was simply stating that it still has room for improvement in my opinion.

Andy

Room for improvement? What do you expect from a wood coaster going 78 mph?? What do you want them to do? They walk the track every single morning and its way more than well maintained. There's really not much they can do unless they want to re track the thing every day.

You know, it is kind of a shame that they built SOB when they did. From what I understand, Intamin coasters has come out with a new track technology for wooden coasters that allow for a smoother ride. If you want, check out intaminworldwide.com. I'm not sure exaclty what is different and I believe they have only built one overseas.

Adding new track and using technology to make the ride smoother might work for awhile, but mother nature has more to do with a rougher ride than anything else. That's what makes a woodie cool. Temperature, humidity, and wind can make the ride different everytime you ride it, no matter what seat you sit in. I have complained nearly evertime I've ridden SOB, I've complained on The Racer, and I've probably even complained on The Beast. But, the thrills and adrenaline always overpower the pain.