Beer at PKI

coasterfreak75

Am I the only one who thinks it's stupid that you can't buy a beer and carry it into a line? I went to SFKK earlier this year and just loved the fact I could carry a cold beer with me into the lines and around the park instead of being pinned in like cattle just because I wanted to drink a cold beer. Just wanted to know if anyone else felt the same way I do?

I like to drink often. Hell, I'm a college kid. In contrast to that, I agree with PKI's policy. The park really just isn't a place for people to be getting drunk. There are far too many people there and way to many things could go wrong. It's not a concert, it's a family place.

Now, I think that people should have the option of having a drink or two when eating, so it's a good thing that they have specific restricted areas.

I know you guys are going to tear up my opinion as you usually do, but hey, you can be the poor fool who sits next to the guy on The Vortex who has 12 beers in him already. biggrin.gif

-Ryan

Edited by beastfreak

THe answer is plain and simple. If you are going to be consuming alchohol, dont be riding the rides. If you are consuming the alchohol an you have had a lot. then you are more than likely drunk. On extreme rides such as FOF, SOB, FaceOff, and The Beast when you are pulling 5g's or going over 80 miles an hour thats not a good idea. You have to be able to somewhat support your body. And you cant do that when you are drunk. Plus the people that sell the alchohol are trained to remember who bought alchohol and they can always watch over the premises and remember. Bottom line: dont drink and ride

I don't think I want beer because at my parish fesivle they have beer and older guys comeup to you and grab you and I don't think thats a good idea.

And if they consume achoal who's going to stop them from riding rides? What are they going to do put a bran on them that says I drank achoal I can't ride? I just don't think it's a GREAT idea.

I think pki's policy is good. If you want to drink, stay in restricted areas. If you want to ride rides, while drunk, go ahead. It's your fault for getting drunk. They've had the same policy for a long time and since they haven't changed it, I guess its doing ok.

Edited by Xx2cansamxX

I don't think I want beer because at my parish fesivle they have beer and older guys comeup to you and grab you and I don't think thats a good idea.

Are you serious? At a perish festival? What parish do you go to than?

Anywho, PKI has the policy to keep beer in a few small areas. Why? Because they watch out for people that have had alittle too much. Plus I think theres a limit on how many you can buy.

Another thing, it would be cheeper just to go to a regular old bar and drink. PKI isn't the cheepest place.

I could be wrong but didn't KI institute a two beer limit after the Flight Commander incident? Did Paramount do away with that policy?

I'm glad they have designated drinking areas but I think it's more because of Ohio liquor laws than PKI policy. Yes, PKI has a liquor license but it's only for certain areas. Ever been to a bar on St. Patty's day or some other large celebration day? If a bar puts up a tent outside, you can't even carry a beer from inside the bar to the tent or vice versa (I learned this the hard way at Flannagan's at UD). Doesn't matter if it's private or public property, the liquor laws still apply.

Edited by beastfreak

Concernign Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, they have food stands that sell beer, so if they are selling beer in the middle of a park walkway, then it would seem pretty hard to have a "designated" area, in contrast to PKI where the areas that sell beer have their own seating area. Also, during the state fair they open more beer and alcohol booths in Kentucky Kingdom, in the midway, and throughout the fair. As they are just stand alone booths, you are able to carry your alcohol throughout the entire property of the Fair and Expo center.

Cris

To clear things up...

Ohio State Liquor licenses apply to an entire property (except parking lots, I've seen the license). We are allowed to sell beer anywhere we want in the park (we could do it in a line if we wanted). For safety reasons and in attempt to limit "contribution to minors", the park only sells beer in designated areas where must finish the beer before leaving. (Check out Cedar Point, you can buy a beer and walk around the park with it... and its in Ohio)

Now, on July 4th and 5th we had beer carts on International Street selling beer for the show. People just had to show ID and get a wrist band so we knew who has been ID-ed and who has not.

Also, if people were able to go into a line with beer, then they would be closed in with many people and usually the lines are not watched by employees. This makes it very easy for someone to buy a beer go in line and give it to their "friend" who is only 20 or 19 say and "contribute to minors". Plus no one is there to watch these people on whether or not they are getting "rowdy or disorderly" where-as if they were in front of the workers that they bought it from and being watched for their safety and that of others.

Edited by beastfreak

There are many reason why we only have beer in certain areas. The biggest is for safety of our guests. The bar tenders can watch who is drinking what and have the right to cut a guest off. There are no limits to how many beers a guest can buy at the park, but it is up to the staff to not serve anyone who has already had too much. We also do this so that we can see who is drinking the beer. Parents and older friends are not allowed to give beer or any other alcoholic beverage to a minor. That is not allowed on park property and you can be arrested for contributing the the deliquency of a minor.

If you are walking around with beer, security can be called and you will be asked to throw it away or escourted by security to the nearest beer selling patio/building to finish it. If you don't want to walk somewhere to finish it, secuirty will make you throw it away.

If you are in a line with beer, then you will be kicked out of the ride line. If a ride op sees you with beer at anytime, they do not have to let you ride the ride, they can kick you out of the ride. Usually they call security to do this, but it depends on how nice the guests is about following the rules.

Another big thing is that there are signs posted everywhere where we sell beer that you can not take it out of the building or off the patio. I see it happen all too often when people take beer out of Festhaus or off of the patio's and they always say "I didn't know" like they are the dumbest people in the world. READ for crying out loud!

One last thing... security is just being nice when they escourt you to a place where you can drink it, we have all the right in the world to make you throw away your beer.

Well, actually we do have a set limit to how many beers we will sell to one person. Its 2, unless we can see the people they are giving them to.

Actually any associate has the ability to tell a person to finish their beer on the spot, throw it away or take them back to the nearest patio where beer is allowed. Now, only food service trains their associates on alcohol laws and policies, so they are really the only ones who know they can do that. Since I'm a supervisor I always tell them and usually always the people are polite about it. Suprisingly many people just give me the beer to throw away cause they say they can't finish it right away and don't want to walk back.

I'm going to join the minority and agree with the origianl poster. I would prefer that PKI aadopted more of a CP style aproach to the beer sales. But it's their perogotive, so I won't argue with what they've decided. I guess it was nice of them to bring it back at all. And it doesn't hurt the park at all that they can sell a bud lite for 5 bucks. That alone is the reason I won't drink at the park.

But since they take such a hardline stance on alcohol, would it be too much to ask for them to do the same about smoking? If you're going to kick a guy out of line for having a beer, shouldn't the same apply to smokers. People smoke in line because they know the worst case scenario is they might be asked to put it out. They are never kicked out of line from what I've seen. And at PKI, security never monitors the queues like they at least occasionally do at CP. Sorry to go a little off topic, but I think these two things should be equally enforced. I would not be offended by someone drinking a beer in line. I am extremely offended when someone smokes in line.

<<But since they take such a hardline stance on alcohol, would it be too much to ask for them to do the same about smoking? If you're going to kick a guy out of line for having a beer, shouldn't the same apply to smokers.>>

As an occasional smoker, I'd still have to agree with you. If you smoke in line, it bothers a lot of people. Non smokers have a tendancy to be offended my the smell quite often. The smoke even bothers my eyes when I'm in a closed area. I like the policy they have about letting it in the park, but not in any line or in any building. When you're outdoors, you have the option to avoid smokers if you want to.

Even if they disallowed smoking in the general area, and had smoking areas throughout the park, I'd probably be all for it. Since smokers are a minority now, we need to respect the wishes of the masses.

hmm... Only 2 beers per guest... well, they need to find a way to make that the limit for the entire day. Or maybe the employees need to make sure that boyfriend or hubby doesn't finish the beer for girl friend or wife?

Lets see... 2 beers only at each stand... that's 2 at Stuntcrew, 2 at Festhaus (4 if they open pizza), 2 at Tuckers, 2 at Rivertown Pizza, 2 at Potatoe Works, 2 at Wings. Did I get them all? Assumeing that they only give a guest 2 beers at each place and not at Festhaus pizza, that's a total of 12 beers. Of course the park will look at it as $60 at $5 a beer.

Maybe I'm going over board a little, but 12 beers is a lot. I'm sure that someone has had at least that much in park. Are you going to tell me that the people that poor the beer are going to remember every face and actually pay attention to the patios to make sure that the beers aren't given to someone else?

Oh wait, I forgot Sharky's... there's two more to add on for a total of 14! Man, they will feel that in the morning! I feel sorry for the person sitting next to them on a ride... For fun we can add in Festhaus pizza and make the total 16.

If the park wants to be serious about only 2 beer per person, they would have some sort of system to keep track of it in the park overall, like hand stamp for each beer that can't be washed off or something that can be check before they buy.

I don't care if they sell beer there. And I don't really believe that it is any more controlled by limiting drinking areas either. I could easily slip someone a beer and never be noticed. I don't really notice a lot of employees taking notes of who's drinking and who's not. As has been stated before, how are the employees gonna remember one face from the other? I also would like to see someone get kicked out of line for smoking. If all they are gonna do is ask you to put it out, then there is no real consequence for smoking in line.

Drinking beer in line has worse consequences in the short term than a smoker in line. A smoker won't get kicked out of a line unless they are told twice to stop smoking or if they are just down right rude when asked to put it out.

Drinking beer does not cause another person to have an asthma attack. Drink beer does not affect another persons allergies. Drinking beer does not expose another person to carcinigens. If someone is drinking beer next to me, I don't care what happens to their liver, they are not hurting me at all. You are assuming that anyone drinking a beer is likely to be drunk and acting irrationally, which is a big assumption. The risks of secondhand smoke are proven fact.

No one is going to be asked to put out their smoke twice. They'll just light up in the next line they get in.

Good points, but the beer can cause just as much harm to the guets drinking it as it can to the guests around them and odds are before, during or after a ride. I get sick from smoke as well, so I know what you are talking about when it comes to someone smoking in line.

How should the park handle smokers (or beer) in the line? If an employee doesn't see it, then we really can't do much about it. Most employees won't confront a guest about smoking, let alone having beer in line unless they are a supervisor, management, or security. Guests don't bother to tell another guest the rules (although I do when I am a guest) because they don't want a confrontation. The park could ban all smoking from the park, like they do for Water Works. We could also ban all beer and other alcholoic beverages from the park. Would the park lose money? Probably. Will the park let that happen? No.

We could make "designated smoking areas" but then people would complain about that. Do they have to come to the park? No. Will they still come to the park? Probably. Would they ignor that as well? Yes. Will we kick them out of the park for not smoking in those areas? No.

It's a long, complicated subject when it comes to beer and smoking in the park. There are no right or wrong answers, just very pationate opinions.

OK, well the 2 beer person thing is not ... 2 beers for the entire day. Its two beers sold to one person at any given time. They can come up as many times as they want and keep buying two at a time. Now, it is up to the judgement of the employee selling (as with at any bar in the world) as when to say "enough", and cut the person off.

I don't smoke and suffer allergic reactions to it. So, I think that smoking should be banned from the lines and other areas as well.

In my opinion, the park policy toward beer is a good one. They allow people only to drink in designated areas. Alcohol drinking is NOT and should NOT be allowed on line - but I don't believe in denying adults the right to have 1 or 2 alcoholic beverages at a theme park. If the adult(s) act roudy - regardless of whether they drink or not - then those adults ought to be invited to leave the park.

That's my opinion anyway.

Edited by beastfreak

I prefer all smokers are shot on site. Then again that would make a mess.

What ****es me off more than anything is those basketballs They shouldnt be inflated at all give em a coupon for 2 bucks off a pump or somthing. More than smoking,drinking,mullets,people who think there french Those basketballs.

I prefer all smokers are shot on site. Then again that would make a mess.

What ****es me off more than anything is those basketballs They shouldnt be inflated at all give em a coupon for 2 bucks off a pump or somthing. More than smoking,drinking,mullets,people who think there french Those basketballs.

ummmm...someone needs to take their pills...

As far as the basketballs go, I agree with you there. I'm tired of those stray balls flying past people almost tripping them. They should make the game to win them VERY hard so only people who really know how to handle them could get them.

Basketballs! Argh! I hate them with a passion.

The park needs to wise up some with the basketballs and give them away deflated. The guests can have them inflated outside of the front gates after they have left the park and the park could charge say a penny per ball. Heck, a quarter, the kids will pay up!

I have to remind kids every day that the park is not a basketball court, nor a football court, nor is it a good place to play hacky sack. If I ever get hit by a ball, I'm keeping it. No if's and's or butt's about it. It's going to go back to games.

The other thing I hate about the basketballs is that parents are dumb enough to let their kids play around with them in all the dumb ways, like bouncing them real high, or hitting them up agains the buildings. Why are parents no a days so afraid to tell their kids no? Why do I get yelled at for telling a child not to do something that will get them hurt when the parent is standing right there not doing a thing?

hmm... Only 2 beers per guest... well, they need to find a way to make that the limit for the entire day. Or maybe the employees need to make sure that boyfriend or hubby doesn't finish the beer for girl friend or wife?

Lets see... 2 beers only at each stand... that's 2 at Stuntcrew, 2 at Festhaus (4 if they open pizza), 2 at Tuckers, 2 at Rivertown Pizza, 2 at Potatoe Works, 2 at Wings. Did I get them all? Assumeing that they only give a guest 2 beers at each place and not at Festhaus pizza, that's a total of 12 beers. Of course the park will look at it as $60 at $5 a beer.

Maybe I'm going over board a little, but 12 beers is a lot. I'm sure that someone has had at least that much in park. Are you going to tell me that the people that poor the beer are going to remember every face and actually pay attention to the patios to make sure that the beers aren't given to someone else?

Oh wait, I forgot Sharky's... there's two more to add on for a total of 14! Man, they will feel that in the morning! I feel sorry for the person sitting next to them on a ride... For fun we can add in Festhaus pizza and make the total 16.

If the park wants to be serious about only 2 beer per person, they would have some sort of system to keep track of it in the park overall, like hand stamp for each beer that can't be washed off or something that can be check before they buy.

You forgot the beer carts in Coney Mall and Rivertown, and also if you come back a short while later, there will most likely be a different pourer or they will plum forget you. Of course, if you're flat out sloshed, the person pouring should be trained not to sell to you, and to call security. My verdict is that you could have as many beers as your lowest limiting factor (stomach, liver, wallet) allows, not as many as PKI determines you can have.