Which ride do you think will go first?

Whales_Rock

I don`t want to beat a dead horse anymore, but I personally do not mind the name Flight Deck. I would have rather seen the ride dubbed Afterburn like the ride at Carowinds was renamed. But alas, that is not the point of your poll.

Kings Island will remove whatever ride in the future that they deem necessary. Maintenance costs, the rides popularity in terms of ridership, its marketability, operating costs, and other things are all factors in what rides are removed from parks. I`m sure that if KI has a ride or rides that they are thinking about removing, they likely have plans in place to replace said rides. That being said, there is no reason to want rides removed simply for the sake of no longer having them in the park. Some people may not like certain rides, but other people love them.

Like I said in my post above, just because a ride seems to always have a walk on line does not mean that the ride is unpopular or certain to be removed in the near future. Other factors go into the decision on when a ride should be removed. Part of the length of the line depends on the day of your visit, how fast the crew is working, and how efficient the ride is in capacity. And there are other places to put new rides. Keep in mind that amusement parks are not just about the roller coasters. Flat rides can be great attractions that cater to families, and not just thrill seekers. Look at what Kings Dominion added this year: two family attractions in a Americana (ferris wheel) and El Dorado.

It still boggles my mind that people are so quick to wish that rides get removed.

Tbh, I see Flight Deck going next. Always a walk on, and with Sob gone, it would be a perfect plce for a new ride. NOt saying i dont like flight, its a geat ride, it just will be the next 1.

NOT true. The last 2 times i've ridden it it's been to the stairs at the candy machine at the last turn when you head to walk towardes the station to go under the ride and up the stairs to the staqtion. Pretty sure thats a good 20 minute wait EASY! didn't know 20-30 minutes equaled a walk on ;)

The Beast

:P lol

Beast isn't going anywhere soon. Same goes for Racer. By becoming ACE landmarks, they pratically became invincible. As long as Kings Island stays open, that is...heck, I could even see Beast staying open after KI is long gone much like the Coney Island Cyclone is today (Astroland is dead, it's still running!). Racer...maybe not so much.

As for what ride will go next, there is actually a bit of a formula for this for the steel coasters. Take opening date. Add 20-25 years. There you have it, because that's how long the average steel coaster lasts. So...adding 20 years...

Flight Deck-2013

Vortex-2007 (It should already be gone!!!) (I say 2013 to 2015)

These still have quite some time though...

Invertigo-2019

Flight of Fear-2016 (I doubt it, it has a good chance of becoming an ACE landmark)

Firehawk-2021 (I am taking into account its years as X Flight)

Diamondback-2029 (I also doubt this one, B&Ms seem to be able to last longer than "normal" steel coasters)

I am not taking into account the "family" coasters because I think those are probably, due to their smaller size, easier to maintain and keep up. Either way, it appears we are about to have a very bad decade as far as coaster removal goes...uh-oh.. :(

Do not mistake ACE Landmark status with National Historic Landmark status. Two totally different things. And even the latter does not prevent destruction/change. It only gives certain tax benefits to the owner, and prevents governments from taking action against the protected item unless there is mitigation to lessen the effects.

Do not mistake ACE Landmark status with National Historic Landmark status. Two totally different things. And even the latter does not prevent destruction/change. It only gives certain tax benefits to the owner, and prevents governments from taking action against the protected item unless there is mitigation to lessen the effects.

I know. But in the roller coaster industry, being an ACE landmark does help a ride as it will give it "extra value"(and a popularity boost, though if a coaster becomes an ACE landmark it is probably already popular) compared to coasters that don't earn the title. I didn't say Racer & Beast would last forever, but they have both already outlived quite a few of their younger peers and will probably outlive a few more before their time finally does come. I would expect both Beast & Racer to remain standing for at least 25 more years, if not longer. Unless, of course, there is some sort of freak accident (meteors, tornadoes, crazy dudes, etc). Then no coaster is safe from destruction.

PS: Do not think short lines at The Racer or any other ride means "it's not popular!". In 2000, Racer had short lines. And yet when the final tallies came in, more people rode The Racer that year than any other coaster! Son of Beast, which was new for 2000 and had CRAZY long lines(I remember those)wasn't even in the Top 5.

PS #2: Wonder what coaster got rode the most thus far this year...probably Racer or Diamondback...

The main reason The Racer gets so many riders each year is because they count both sides. If it wasn't for that fact then The Beast most likely would be the coaster with the most riders most years. That might change this year with the addition of Diamondback, though.

PS: Do not think short lines at The Racer or any other ride means "it's not popular!". In 2000, Racer had short lines. And yet when the final tallies came in, more people rode The Racer that year than any other coaster! Son of Beast, which was new for 2000 and had CRAZY long lines(I remember those)wasn't even in the Top 5.

The main reason The Racer gets so many riders each year is because they count both sides. If it wasn't for that fact then The Beast most likely would be the coaster with the most riders most years. That might change this year with the addition of Diamondback, though.

Just so we're clear, Racer North and Racer South capacity is calculated completely independently. Also where exactly are you getting these "rider figures" from 2000 and any other year?

Also just FYI, in 2000, SOB ran one train a pretty big portion of that season. Coupled with downtimes, thats where you're long lines and low ridership came from.

I think it is safe to say that in terms of capacity for KI coasters, Vortex and Adventure Express had been typically among the top. Obviously, combining the each side of The Racer into one figure will make that larger. And Adventure Express likely hasn`t made the grade the last couple of years since they have only been running two train operation on it.

But I think it is clear which coaster will take the capacity crown at Kings Island this season. I wonder how close Diamondback is to given its 2 millionth ride?

And also, wood coasters in general can have very long lives. It is unusual these days for a wooden coaster not to last many, many years--barring park closure, fire, hurricane or lack of maintenance. Twisted Twins, Megazeph, Hurricane at Myrtle Beach's Pavilion are all examples of wooden coasters that appear to not have lasted all that long, but they are the exceptions, by no means the rule.

In days of old, many wooden coasters stayed open only a very few years for a couple of reasons. First, there was no real way to adequately predict ride forces until the ride opened. See, for instance, Cyclone at Crystal Beach. Second, labor and materials were far less expensive (even on a constant dollar basis), rides were generally pay per ride, and a ride could be removed and replaced with a newer desgin--the novelty factor sold many, many tickets, and the coaster quickly paid for itself and made more than if the original had remained. You might ask, why didn't the park just keep the old and build a new one, too? Some did. Most did not, not wanting the labor of running two attractions...from ride operators to inspectors to maintenance.

Kings Island will remove whatever ride in the future that they deem necessary. Maintenance costs, the rides popularity in terms of ridership, its marketability, operating costs, and other things are all factors in what rides are removed from parks. I`m sure that if KI has a ride or rides that they are thinking about removing, they likely have plans in place to replace said rides. That being said, there is no reason to want rides removed simply for the sake of no longer having them in the park. Some people may not like certain rides, but other people love them.

The Racer never has a real line, and most of the time the blue is not on the track. I hope they never get rid of it. I love it. It is my favorite ride.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you ask me, the rides that last the longest are the ones that are taken care of the most. The ones that last the shortest are the ones that are poorly designed and the ones that aren't maintained well enough (and it usually isn't the parks fault). The only ride I see going anywhere anytime soon is Flight Deck, and that's because that type of coaster is getting harder and harder to maintain, just look at Big Bad Wolf. Of course this isn't counting Son of Beast, since I think that it was poorly designed in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...