HUGE PTR/VTR: SFKK, Holiday World, Kings Island, Jungle Jim's, and Petland!

gigacoaster2k

** DAY ONE: SATURDAY, OCTOBER 10: SIX FLAGS KENTUCKY KINGDOM **

Tom and I packed bags for the trip, jam packed a cooler full of food, filled up Stormy (my Sebring) with gas, and we were off to Six Flags! Forecast was partly sunny with temps between the 40s and 60s, so we were excited to have a good day at Six Flags!

Driving down I71 south to SFKK!

The hills of Kentucky are so beautiful, I love driving through them!

IMG00005.jpg

We arrived at SFKK around 12:30, I think.

At first we thought this was horse crap that I parked in. It was some kind of muddy grass, and there was a lot of it. I parked there anyway because I didn't care.

IMG00006.jpg

Tom and I are hopeful for a good day at SFKK after the fiasco last time.

IMG00007.jpg

IMG00008.jpg

(Yes, my shirt says I <3 COASTERS.. lol)

Since the last time we went, we hit my favorite ride first (Greezed Lightnin), so this time we hit Tom's favorite at SFKK.. Thunder Run! I high fived Tweety on the way.

IMG00009.jpg

Thunder Run has some sweet airtime! It's a tad rattly, but what woodie isn't?

We started walking over to *gulp* Chang's area, and I decided I wanted to ride the Giant Wheel. It was my first time on that.. I honestly like CP's Giant Wheel so much better. Nice views from this one though.

IMG00010.jpg

Most Ferris wheels rope off the ones they aren't using. SFKK got creative with theirs.

IMG00011.jpg

I'm going to miss you, Chang. :(

IMG00013.jpg

Thunder Run going up the hill!

IMG00014.jpg

Park was kind of busy, but not really bad.

IMG00015.jpg

After that, it was time to face the reality of Chang being torn down. This pic just makes me mad.. YOU'RE REPLACING A B&M STANDUP WITH A WATER PARK??!!! I mean, are they for real?

IMG00016.jpg

:(

IMG00017.jpg

Back to Thunder Run we went, as we were both craving another ride on it!

IMG00018.jpg

IMG00021.jpg

IMG00022.jpg

Then it was off to Greezed Lightnin.. my favorite! We rode that, and then decided we were hungry, so we went to the car and ate out of my ginormous cooler instead of spending $946 on a hot dog.

We came back, and rode Greezed Lightnin again, because the queue was empty!

Tom pointed out the logo on this trash can, from before Six owned the park.

IMG00023.jpg

Then it was time for my favorite spinning ride.. Enterprise! I like this better than Witches Wheel at CP.

IMG00026.jpg

After that, we headed to Himalaya, one of our favorite spinnies! These rides always make me a little dizzy, but worth it because they're so much fun! LOL at the clown riding.

IMG00028.jpg

After this, we decided to explore the park for a little while.. because those who stop, look, and listen will often find more than what they are looking for.

FOUR BUCKS FOR A 20 OUNCE BOTTLE OF "VITAMIN" WATER??!!! Why don't you just yank my wallet and run away??

IMG00030.jpg

Flying Dutchman.. can anyone clarify if this was the one that used to be at Kings Island? Tom and I weren't quite sure, I don't remember back that far.

IMG00032.jpg

Twisted Twins.. I never got to ride you. :(

IMG00033.jpg

I wish.

IMG00034.jpg

I like the message on the trash cans. SFKK is probably one of the cleanest parks I've seen. I think I saw two pieces of trash on the ground throughout the whole park. This message is also on the back of the ride ops' shirts.

IMG00035.jpg

That's how I feel about it.. Chang is the stand up coaster that made me like stand up coasters.

IMG00039.jpg

Tom and I being dorks.

IMG00040.jpg

I wanted to ride their swinging ship ride (I love swinging ships!), so we headed toward the front of the park.

Greezed Lightnin, Skycoaster riders, Roadrunner Express, and Giant Wheel, all in one shot!

IMG00041.jpg

Bluebeard's Bounty! Of course we chose a seat on the very end.. what other way to ride a swinging ship?

IMG00045.jpg

They were having a screaming contest on our ride. This guy was screaming bloody murder like a girl and had everyone cracking up.

Back to Greezed Lightnin we went!

IMG00046.jpg

Here is a video I took while waiting for the very front seat!

Back to Thunder Run we went! I took some pics on the way.

FULL QUEUE FOR BREAKDANCE??!!! Greezed Lightnin and Thunder Run were walk ons!

IMG00048.jpg

Give it back. Now. :P

IMG00049.jpg

I looked up to see Thunder Run's empty train stuck on the lift, so we walked over by the water park deck to get a better look at when it would be running again.

Hey SFKK.. drain your nasty wave pool.

Who wants to go for a swim?

IMG00051.jpg

Thunder Run was up and running again, so off we ran! IMG00053.jpg

We got hungry again, so it was back out to the car for more food, and for our hoodies since it was getting nippy.

Roadrunner Express had a line almost all day, and it had finally died down, so we got in line. This is one fun wild mouse!

IMG00054.jpg

We ran back over and rode Greezed Lightnin again, and then it was back to Thunder Run again!

While we were back there, we rode Flying Dutchman.

Heading back to the front of the park, we skipped out on the haunts because there was an up charge.

So we hopped on Giant Wheel for a night ride.

IMG00058.jpg

I don't have a good photo of it, in fact it's a terrible photo, but it was so cool to see the Louisville skyline at night from atop the wheel. I absolutely love big city skylines.

We ran over and got a night ride on Greezed lightnin (which was totally awesome!), and ran back and got a night ride on Roadrunner Express.

Back to Greezed Lightnin we went.. check this out! EMPTY station, AT NIGHT! I was one happy giga!

IMG00062.jpg

We sat in the very back, and got 3 rides in a row without leaving our seat!!

Our last ride of the night was Thunder Run.. again, EMPTY queue at night! We chose the very front seat this time.

IMG00063.jpg

I found someone's LG Dare in the front seat.. unfortunately she had run out of the station before I could catch her, so I handed it to the ride op.

We left SFKK cold, tired, and happy, and passed out for the night.

Ride count:

Greezed Lightnin - 8

Thunder Run - 5

Giant Wheel - 2

Roadrunner Express - 2

Flying Dutchman - 1

Bluebeard's Bounty - 1

Enterprise - 1

Himalaya - 1

STAY TUNED!

** DAY TWO: SUNDAY, OCTOBER 11: HOLIDAY WORLD CLOSING DAY, AND Kings Island **

Driving down I64 west toward *drumroll* HOLIDAY WORLD!! (with a nice close up of my fuzzy steering wheel cover lol)

We saw a hitchhiker with a sign that said ANYWHERE BUT HERE.. lmao!

IMG00064.jpg

OMG

IMG00065.jpg

OMG

IMG00066.jpg

OMG

IMG00067.jpg

OMG

IMG00068.jpg

Getting closer.. it's around the bend somewhere!

IMG00069.jpg

LKLSDLJKFHSJFS w00t

IMG00070.jpg

WE'RE HERE!! And check out the sweet ride in front of me!

IMG00071.jpg

We were almost to the gate when I decided I was cold, and wanted my hoodie. We were walking back to my car when this guy in the parking lot offered Tom a one day ticket for $20.. he had four of them he couldn't use! Tom took him up on it.. our day was off to a very good start!

First stop: Raven!

IMG00073.jpg

IMG00103.jpg

Raven's empty station! Look at that, Terp.. don't you wish you were there (or were you)? hee hee

IMG00074.jpg

We got 2 rides in a row without getting out of our seats!

Then it was off to LEGEND!

Tom loves his lats.

IMG00075.jpg

We got THREE rides without exiting the station, and the school bell was working!

Kat, this pic is for you. (inside joke)

IMG00076.jpg

Then it was off to..

*intense drumroll*

VOYAGE! :wub:

IMG00077.jpg

The most beautiful thing I've seen at an amusement park..

VOYAGE'S EMPTY STATION AS SEEN FROM THE VERY BACK SEAT.

IMG00078.jpg

THREE RIDES IN A ROW WITHOUT LEAVING OUR SEATS!!

Yeah, we pretty much got 8 rides in 45 minutes.. the park was THAT dead.

After all this, we were thirsty! Off to the Oasis we went, for some of Holiday World's free drinks.

Walking around a bit, Tom pointed out this plaque dedicated to America's heroes.

IMG00080.jpg

We ran back and rode Raven again, then Legend again, and decided it was time for Liberty Launch!

IMG00081.jpg

We then decided to explore the park a little bit.

Kat, I took a pic of the kiddie carousel for you, haha.

IMG00083.jpg

I took this opportunity to take some photos.

IMG00084.jpg

IMG00085.jpg

IMG00086.jpg

LOOK AT THE LINE FOR SCRAMBLER!!

IMG00088.jpg

IMG00089.jpg

IMG00090.jpg

We rode Raven, and decided we were hungry, so it was back out to the car to eat.

Got a little busy while we were in the park!

IMG00091.jpg

IMG00102.jpg

My sweet tooth was driving me crazy, so we headed for Mrs. Klaus' Kitchen.

I bought: a bag of candy corn flavored taffy, a giant chocolate chip cookie, and two candy sticks.. guess how much it cost total?

$2.38.

That's right.

Back to Voyage we went!

I've never eaten at Plymouth Rock Cafe (I've hid out in there LOL), but I need to.. this menu looks GOOD!

IMG00093.jpg

Mean looking Voyage track! *shudders* YUMMY!

IMG00094.jpg

IMG00095.jpg

IMG00096.jpg

We rode Voyage, which was killer sweet awesome amazing as usual, and then it was off to Turkey Whirl (yes, I have found out I can ride Tilt A Whirl rides!).

IMG00097.jpg

And then it was back To Voyage, you know, since it WAS right there.. hehehehe

We saw a kid wearing a shirt that said WHO NEEDS HALLOWEEN.. MY SISTER IS SCARY ENOUGH. lol

IMG00098.jpg

Then we were both craving a ride on Legend, so off we went!

z0mg LEGEND

IMG00100.jpg

(can't tell, but we are both wearing DB shirts haha)

We stopped for food at Goblin Burger.. which may have been a mistake. The food was a little greasier than I liked.

Sitting in GB's eating area, I noticed we were right next to Legend, so I snapped a few photos.

IMG00104.jpg

Legend structure shot!

IMG00106.jpg

Then it was off to Eagles Flight!

IMG00107.jpg

Hard as we tried to snap ours, they just wouldn't do it. We did get going pretty high, though!

We hit Raven and Legend, and then back to

IMG00108.jpg

IMG00109.jpg

We rode that, and Liberty Launch.

It was getting close to closing time, and I wanted more rides on Voyage, but the food was getting to Tom and he sat out while I got 2 rides on Voyage without leaving my seat.

He came with me for a third ride, but Voyage's train started smoking in the station, and it was about 5:10 pm CDT (park closed at 5:30), and Voyage showed no sign of reopening. So we said screw it and booked it for Legend. Tom rode with me once, and got off, then I got a solo ride.

As Holiday World closed, I couldn't leave without some fudge. I went to Mrs Klaus' Kitchen and got some fudge for me and my family, then we went to a gift shop and Tom got the Legend shirt he'd been wanting.

As we walked toward the exit, we were greeted by Pat and Will Koch.. Tom and I got our photo with Will!

IMG00110.jpg

I'm going to miss you.

IMG00111.jpg

Goodbye, my precious baby.. see you next year. *stifles a sob*

IMG00113.jpg

STAY TUNED!

Back across the time zone we drove.. to Kings Island! We got caught in a nasty traffic jam about 75 miles south of Cincy, and encountered a few more slow clogs. We finally made it to KI around 10:45-11 pm. No one was at the parking tolls.

We met up with Ryan (BoddaH1994), Robbie (CoastersRZ), Aaron (pkiVortex), Adam (pkiboy), and Dave (DaveStroem) and his kiddos, and got 4 rides on DB! Tom sat out and I rode DB a 5th time, then the group split off and some of us headed to Beast. Nick (dare to fly) was working so we waved at him and made faces at him LOL. Then we all ran back to DB and got last train of the night.

Ride counts:

HOLIDAY WORLD:

Voyage - 8

Legend - 8

Raven - 5

Liberty Launch - 2

Eagles Flight - 1

Turkey Whirl - 1

Kings Island:

Diamondback - 6

Beast - 1

** DAY THREE: MONDAY, OCTOBER 12: JUNGLE JIM'S AND PETLAND **

I had never been to Jungle Jim's before, so we went even though we were almost flat broke from the roller coaster weekend LOL.. hey, why not?

Coney Island bumper cars now double as candy aisles!

IMG00115.jpg

And it was off to the famous bathrooms!

IMG00114.jpg

Using the hand soap in the glorified bathrooms hahaha

IMG00116.jpg

The big cheese.

IMG00118.jpg

I wouldn't have noticed these signs at the exit if Tom hadn't pointed them out.

IMG00120.jpg

Monorail photos.

IMG00121.jpg

IMG00122.jpg

Then we stopped in at Petland to say hello to the animals that we love so much.

The budgies I was playing with.. I love birds.

IMG00123.jpg

Tom was playing with a cat.

IMG00125.jpg

And finally, the coaster shirt photo.

IMG00127.jpg

If you made it this far, guess what.. you've reached the end!

Thanks for reading.. I hope you enjoyed it!

<3

Giga

Very cool pics. I am usually beat after one day at KI.

Hitting all those places in one trip would kill me!

I like seeing all the support pics of The Voyage. The company that my wife works at did all the galvenizing to the steel, to protect them from the weather. It was a huge job!

Very cool pics. I am usually beat after one day at KI.

Hitting all those places in one trip would kill me!

I like seeing all the support pics of The Voyage. The company that my wife works at did all the galvenizing to the steel, to protect them from the weather. It was a huge job!

I've Done 3 Cedar Fair parks in one day. Talk about a Crazy OHIO trip :lol:.

Best tr I read in a while, yet I was sad that you didn't come to play with the body parts in my tunnel at urgent scare; you made up for with this tr. There where points you had me crackin up into tears (while the people @ goodyear (I'm gettin an oil change)gave me weird looks). Which bears me to ask another question, was it national boycott coasters to ride flats weekend?!?!?!

Hahaha, what a great TR! Your reactions were priceless. The OMGs had me laughing.

By the way, did you happen to see how far constructed the monorail track at Jungle Jim's is? I haven't been there in a while; last time I saw it, I think it was just beyond the stationary 'model' monorail (for lack of better description).

Nice TR.. very jealous of the HW trip again. And yeah... those Eagles out there are strange. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the cables to snap. I even tried adjusting my method. No dice. And I was a pretty darn good flyer back in the day at KI... Here's to hoping I get to Carowinds sometime :)

Angie -

Great trip report as always. I appreciate the photo shout outs. ;)

By the way, I'm really glad to see Tom got the awesome Legend shirt he was wanting most of the season.

I saw carousels and spookies, and I thought, z0mg Kat. Must snap photo. :lol:

I'm glad he got it too! I got him a discount with my season pass too. w00t :)

LOOK AT THE LINE FOR SCRAMBLER!!

IMG00088.jpg

When I was there, we were over in that area, with the Scrambler in plain view. A kid goes, "LOOK MOM, IT'S THE SCRAMBLER!" Really loud. My cousin and I started cracking up. I guess it's one of those, "you had to be there," stories, but it was hilarious.

And by the way I'm really jealous that you guys go to Holiday World so much! I've been there once. 4 hours. 3 Voyage rides. 2 on Raven and Legend. Meh.

Oh and their scooters are not very good.

It's trip reports like this that I'll miss in the off season :(

Oh trust me, I can and will find something to do a PTR about during the dreaded off season that is worth reading, and may emit several LOLs from the members of this site. XD

You could go to Orlando. Or LA. Or Tampa. :D

There is no need to go that far to get a coaster fix in the off season!

Dollywood is open through December for their Smoky Mountain Christmas festival. And yes, their coasters are open as long as the mercury stays above a certain threshold. I went last year (my first visit to Dollywood) and I was really glad I went. The shows are amazing, and I absolutely love Thunderhead!

Yep, the coasters are all open, provided the temperature stays above a certain level. (It might have been 40 degrees). I don`t recall exactly. I just know that it was awesome riding Thunderhead at the end of December last year. And the temperature was right on the threshold where had it dropped one more degree, they would have had to shut it down!

Very nice trip report Giga. I have read many TR's about Holiday World but this one was by far one of the best. Sadly, I have never been to Holiday World. For as close as it is to me I should have been there many times already. As far as seeing those pictures of Chang being dismantled, it breaks my heart. Chang was my very first, innovative coaster I ever rode. I was scared to death the first and only time I ever got to ride it. Could they possibly be moving it to KI? (Dashes for the door)