Many Thanks to the employees of KI

hamoperator

As a parent; I just wanted to say "Thanks" to all the employees who came to work for very little money, and made this a very happy season at the park for my kids and every other kid out there. You put up with allot of xxxx from people and keep those happy faces on. Some of you go above your job and make friends with the guest and make each of those guest feel like the park is theirs. With only two weekends left this season; you will be missed. I hope you have an exciting winter away from your second home; and just maybe we will see you next season.

Anyone else have anything to ad, lets hear from you.

Thank you for making the summer fun.The little funny things you do and say will always stay with me.

Diamondback hardworkers,yes you guys rocked this year.Keeping the lines moving and getting us pumped up for the ride if we really needed it but you were great.

SOB operators,i will miss you.Thank you for them last rides.

I'd like to add my thanks to not only the ride operators, security, food service people, etc., that we often see working so hard in the park, but also to the many, many people both at Kings Island and in Sandusky who make it possible to enjoy a day at Kings Island, the unsung and unseen people who work hard to make the Cedar Fair parks successful and fun. This includes the good people in maintenance, inspectors, administrative types, human resources, accounting, cash control, etc.

I'd also like to thank those who work so hard to make the parks a success, spending many a monotonous hour and then suddenly putting up with the few nasty, intolerant and difficult guests who make amusement industry work challenging.

Thanks!

And some of us probably are. Which of us no one knows. People move. Peoples' interests change (some people last went to a park decades ago, and some of them were even enthusiasts then one day, they no longer were). People get in serious accidents and are unable to ride thereafter. People die, sometimes very unexpectedly. Sometimes even whole parks disappear, sometimes quite unexpectedly. Anything from financial difficulties to natural disasters.

Enjoy these times. There is no guarantee of tomorrow....

And some of us probably are. Which of us no one knows. People move. Peoples' interests change (some people last went to a park decades ago, and some of them were even enthusiasts then one day, they no longer were). People get in serious accidents and are unable to ride thereafter. People die, sometimes very unexpectedly. Sometimes even whole parks disappear, sometimes quite unexpectedly. Anything from financial difficulties to natural disasters.

Enjoy these times. There is no guarantee of tomorrow....

well said......so true, live today as it is your last day on earth.

awww... are you and the kids done for the year? I was hoping to sneak up on Peanut one more time ;)

No last night was their 75th visit, and we have this weekend and the next two. They will be there each remaining day/night. Peanut has a new set of Vampire teeth to bite you with B) .

I just felt you guys needed to know from me and anyone else who will sound off that you will be missed over the winter.

Usually on the last day, the kids start to cry because they can't go for a few months.

We are on the way up to the park right now..... see you tonight.

Thanks to all,

From the parking lot entrance, to the last security officer's by the gate at the end of the day.

And to the DB operators it was great to see the excitement shown over and over.

To the young man working the Zepher, when I asked if were I could get a new Zepher shirt?

The reply " ZEPHER shirt-?- I don't think so" That was funny.. :)

Great thread hamoperator! I agree with your thoughts - this has been a fantastic season at Kings Island for my family and I and it couldn't be done without all the employees of Kings Island.

While it is impossible to name all the different individuals (or roles) who have helped make it so special, I have to highlight a couple:

- Diamondback Crew was awesome all season, especially with all the extra early and/or late hours. They were always energetic and fun and kept things moving. I could complain about the one time I was accidentally stapled by _____ - but won't :D

- Nick U associates. They have to put up with kids that don't listen (and the parents as well) and somehow do it with a smile all day/season long

- Show performers. I watched more shows this season than ever before and appreciate the energy and effort that goes into putting these on for us

I hope they all have a great offseason and I look forward to seeing many again next season!

Props go out to ALL of you that work at KI. I know how hard it is to work in an environment where customers can be extremely difficult.

I can't even begin to start naming everyone that I know deserves recognition.

THANK YOU ALL, from the bottom of my heart.. your efforts are NOT going unnoticed!!

I've been wanting to say something about the employees for a while now. I know that everyone has different experiences, but from what I've experienced I actually think that the summer employees and fall employees have significantly improved since Cedar Fair took over. The only areas I would give low scores to are: Guest Relations--4/10 Security--5/10 and Admissions--2/10. The biggest thing I see with the improvements is the improvement in overall attitude. I just see more smiles and better guest-employee interactions. The rides department is the department I'd say has improved the most and food and beverage would be second. (Speaking of just the employees, not the food itself obviously. It hasn't changed.) Again, this is just what I've experienced and I know that some people have had different experiences. That being said, I still think the vast majority of those here would agree with me.

For those of you who work at the park, keep up the great work where I noted and know that there is a ton of room for improvement in the low marks that I noted.

I've been wanting to say something about the employees for a while now. I know that everyone has different experiences, but from what I've experienced I actually think that the summer employees and fall employees have significantly improved since Cedar Fair took over. The only areas I would give low scores to are: Guest Relations--4/10 Security--5/10 and Admissions--2/10. The biggest thing I see with the improvements is the improvement in overall attitude. I just see more smiles and better guest-employee interactions. The rides department is the department I'd say has improved the most and food and beverage would be second. (Speaking of just the employees, not the food itself obviously. It hasn't changed.) Again, this is just what I've experienced and I know that some people have had different experiences. That being said, I still think the vast majority of those here would agree with me.

For those of you who work at the park, keep up the great work where I noted and know that there is a ton of room for improvement in the low marks that I noted.

Wow thanks.

uh wow - did you totally ignore the title of the thread or just decide to be mean. As mom used to say, if you can't say anything nice ...

In my opinion the areas you decided to grade have also done a good job this season. While you may have some complaints, this was not the thread for them.

Look, the point is that overall I've seen improvements and things in general have got so much better. I can give much more compliments than I can criticisms. Also understand that I'm former Admissions, so that's the department that I'm going to be the toughest on by default. By the way, the score wasn't much higher when Paramount was running things.

...but I am sure it was much lower when CBS was running things. Many more weeks of CBS's way of doing things and I doubt the park could have survived. And yes, I mean that. Viacom and Blockbuster were in many ways good for Kings Island. Yes, they weren't KECO (sigh), but they weren't Lindner either (thankfully). But CBS was cost cutting to the bone...

I'm going to try to un-derail this topic (I know, I usually go the other way). But I think the original point of this post was wonderful.

Many people forget about the employees other than the rides associates. Yes, the rides department arguably sees the most customer interaction and tends to be the most memorable. But I think there are a LOT of associates at Kings Island that work just as hard (or harder) than the rides associates do and get far too little recognition.

First, how about the ecology department? You know, the ones who walk around wearing bright yellow with a broom and dustpan in their hands? They are out there in the sun, rain, cold, wind and every other imaginable kind of condition, walking until I'm sure they have blisters on their feet, picking up the garbage that the GP is too lazy to put into trash cans. Fighting off the bees that congregate around every trash can to change them when they're full. Cleaning the bathrooms and making sure you have enough toilet paper and soap when nature calls. And the most amazing part is that I've never had a negative interaction with any of the ecology associates. They are ALWAYS upbeat and friendly, ready to answer any questions a guest may have, offer directions, or give out park maps. I want to give a GIGANTIC thanks, one so big I can't express it in words alone, to these associates. They are what keep the park sparking clean and enjoyable for every person that visits. I personally could never handle working that job, and I definitely applaud those that do.

Second, don't forget the nice folks in guest relations! They probably receive a thousand times more negative responses than positive ones. They have to deal with guests who are in the worst mood possible and maintain a smile on their face the entire time. They have to deal with parents angry over height restrictions, people mad because they got wet on a water ride, people who refuse to understand that there's no re-entry after 7 pm on Haunt nights, people who have lost their season passes and don't want to pay for a replacement, and I'm sure millions of other complaints that we just can't even imagine. The fact they manage to maintain their calm and even stay positive and happy with all that they deal with is really something truly extraordinary.

It's impossible to go through all the departments that are under-appreciated, but keep this in mind when you're at the park. How often have you put in a good comment at Guest Relations? What department was it for? If the only department you come up with is rides, please consider doing so for other departments as well. One of the most satisfying experiences I've ever had during a park visit was courtesy of two girls in the merchandise department at Michigan's Adventure. I put in a good comment for them at Guest Relations and received a personal letter from the park operations manager! I'm sure that it not only made my day, but the two merchandise employees days when they got word of the compliment. A "good GR" is one of the best things any employee can receive and can often times brighten their entire week, so don't forget that there are plenty of hard working employees in that park, and put in a good word any time you see someone going above and beyond their job duties.

Also, as Terpy pointed out, there are so many associates that are never even seen by the public and yet are an integral part of the smooth operations of the park. There are associates in the call center, cash control, maintenance (including rides, food service, games, merchandise, etc), marketing, associate services, human relations, first aid, and many, many other departments that are never (or incredibly rarely) seen by the guests and are just as essential as the rides, merchandise, food and other high guest-contact associates are. I hope everyone appreciates the hard work they put in, I know I do!

I know when I pull into the employee lot in the mornings I see plenty of people from the Foods department there earlier than I have to be there. When I pull in at 7:45 when the park opens at 10:00 and see them (both supervisors and associates) walking in I know how much they have to prepare for the guests to come in. That takes determination to get to the park that early and then have to cater to guests needs all day. Then I walk in through the employee entrance to meet a security guard who has been standing there for God knows how long securing that post.

Like Kat said, there are so many people that go unnoticed throughout the day that help the park to run smoothly every day. On those rainy days when the park is empty (except for us crazy enthusiasts) there are still those associates sweeping the park, emptying trash cans, standing out at the park tolls, monitoring the gold pass parking entrance, dealing with guests until their ride can open again, cleaning up their shops and food areas. There are some very dedicated employees out there ranging from rides, games, and security who will do anything to help the guest have a great day. Yeah the park is not exploding with great service as we all see with that occasional associate not having the best day. But there are those hidden gems that do the smallest things so guests can enjoy themselves. ]Have you ever thought about the associate that let you in through the front gate that asked how your day was? What about that associate that handed you that free cup of ice water with a smile across their face? Or the associate that gave your child a high five after getting off a ride? Or that associate that makes you laugh when they are spieling while the train leaves the station? Guest Relations is literally right on your way out of the park. Why not catch the name of an associate and mention them to the GR associates?

• 2 weeks later...

Once again; they went above and beyond.

After a successful 8:30 show last night.

It started to rain just before the 9:30 show; with what was looking as a one show only for the night due to the weather; the cast and crew squeezed in a special short notice 10:30 showing of Hot Blooded in the only clearing. The six male members and Adam diligently dried the stage on their hands and knees with towels so one last show could be seen by the guest, It started to drizzle about 10 minutes before the end of this show and they managed to keep going for the guest.....

MANY THANKS !

Peanut B) , Red :P and Family Thank you !

I would like to sound off to everyone who gave low marks to any of the departments or employees at KI.

I work in customer service. I know how hard it is to work long hours with sloppy, careless guests with bad behavior. It does get to you.

If I see an employee looking unhappy, I'll smile and say hello in a sincere way. Or I'll chat with them. When I went to CP last year, I saw a ride op by Power Tower's entrance, pouring sweat and looking like she might pass out. I brought her a cup of ice water. I do things like that.

If an employee has an attitude with me, I'll break the ice with something about how much it sucks to work in customer service. They usually chat back with me and end up with a better attitude. Sometimes they just feel better about venting a little about bad customers to someone who understands what position they are in. I know many ride ops and employees at both KI and CP, and I can sympathize with them and their hard work. Halloween Haunt is quite possibly the busiest time of the year (ever go to KI on a Haunt Saturday in October? Or even worse, a HalloWeekends Saturday in October at CP? YIPES!!).

Unlike places like Walt Disney World where people are paid to "play a role" and make sure that it is the happiest place on earth, most amusement parks rely on the attractions to make that happen, and staff isn't there to make sure you have a good day. They are there to make sure that you are safely put on/off attractions, and they are there to make sure you are fed, and they are there to make sure that you spend money and bring in money for Cedar Fair.

They are paid to do this on top of the test they have in Bio on Monday morning for which they will have no time to study all weekend, or worry about the paper that is due that they have been unable to get to work on, because they are working.

It may also not be their only job. They may also miss their family, friends, boyfriend or girlfriend back home (many employees travel from quite a way to work at KI). This adds up to a tremendous amount of stress.

Please, give them the benefit of the doubt. Try to make their day, make friends, or at least smile. It DOES make a difference.