TR: Random day at Cedar Point 10-18-09

gigacoaster2k

I decided I was going to take a mini vacation to CP Sunday, because I missed the place so much. I pretty much made this decision at the last minute. My friends that work up there told me it was COLD.. so I put on:

2 layers of socks,

leggings under my cargo pants,

a knit hat and gloves,

a long sleeve thermal shirt,

2 long sleeve ribbed shirts,

and a knit hooded sweater.

I left my house around 6 am, and made it to CP around 9:10 am, and parked on the far left edge of the GP lot so I could walk around and sprint for Millie first. I made it to the parking lot even before Single Rider Bob did! He started walking to the marina entrance before I did.

I stepped out of my car and felt an icy breeze off the lake that made me very glad I wore so many layers. Temperature was reading 38 degrees in Sandusky.

I walked around to the marina entrance to see Bob and several of his friends. We joked around quite a bit, and with the others that had arrived. Many people had dressed the same way I had.. even with leg warmers, Carhartts, boots, coats, etc. That's the great thing about going to CP when it's freezing cold.. 9 out of 10 people you meet are going to be enthusiasts who don't give a crap how cold it is! We all also noticed that Millie hadn't sent any trains out yet.

They started scanning passes at 9:45 (passholder entry was at 10 am). At 10, the entire crowd at the marina gate bolted for Millie! We got to Millie's entrance to see it was closed. We heard a train go up, but it was making a metallic rattle noise and getting stuck on the lift. The ride op then announced to us after getting off the phone that it was down due to mechanical reasons.

So I bolted for Maverick instead. The regular wait was barely 10 minutes. The SRL was open, but when I and several other single riders got to the top, they told us it was closed. I told her to chain it off if it was closed, and went back down the stairs.. ALL THE WAY through the queue and re-entered from the start.

I chose my seat in seat 6! Decided I wanted another ride, so I ran back. I was assigned to row 3, but I saw an open seat in row 6, so I jumped in! I LOVE MAVERICK w00t!

I decided I was going to hit Magnum, since it was 11 am. My jaw dropped when I saw a completely empty queue and station. My friend Bre was working, and yelling at Single Rider 2 not to run LOL. She was totally surprised to see me. I rode twice (both times were trimless!), and then decided to head for Dragster.

TTD barely had a 15 minute wait. I rode in second to last row since the wait for the back was just way too long. I keep forgetting how amazing that launch is.. WOW! Dragster never fails to give me a rush every time!

I decided to walk toward the front of the park, and hit Power Tower Space Shot on the way.. total walk on.

I hit Blue Streak, and saw my friend Scott in the control booth. I love old Blue.. has some nice air, and has just enough of that wooden coaster roughness to make it a great ride. I acted like I was terrified on the lift hill and made him laugh so hard.

I went over to Raptor to see it had a half hour wait.. longest wait I'd seen so far. I waited, and noticed at this point that the sun was starting to warm things up a little. I checked the temperature on my BlackBerry to see the temperature had jumped to 50 degrees. The girl in front of me said to her boyfriend, "OH MY GOD! WE'RE GOING TO GO UPSIDE DOWN AND STUFF??!!!" I got goosebumps listening to the loud rattle-hum of the chain lift, and the signature B&M roar while in line.. I LOVE B&M COASTERS :wub: Didn't see my friend Schuyler working, but I did see Raptor Jo.

I headed over to maXair to see them hosing the ride down and spraying it with disinfectant because someone got sick. I ducked out of line and hit Wicked Twister instead.. it was posted at 3/4 hour wait but it was a station wait LOL. I went back over to maXair because I saw it running, it was a walk on too.

By this point, I was getting hungry. I went over to Burger Patio for a hot dog basket (they give you a regular size hot dog and a 99 cent bag of chips) and a 22 ounce Mountain Dew. I thought $9.68 for all that was a little steep, but I was starving. I got to a table to see that my bag of chips had expired 2 weeks ago (yuck with a capital Y, I DO NOT eat expired food). I took it back and showed the girl, and she spoke to her manager. They gave me a bag of nacho cheese Doritos that were only supposed to be used for the walking tacos. :)

I realized with a start that I hadn't ridden Millie yet, so I went over there. It was about a half hour wait, but I was craving a ride, so I waited. While I was in line, I heard a teenage guy say to his friend: "I hope this is better than that stupid Maverick ride." I debated riding Mantis, but I'm still upset over the Chang situation, so I passed on Mantis.

I headed over to Skyhawk, walk on. At the end of the ride, the little girl said to her mom on the right of me, "I think I have a code brown." Then the guy next to me on the left said to his friend, "I hate you! I'm going to castrate you!" I was laughing so hard. I told each one what the other one said, which caused the four of us to all start laughing hysterically. It was a great moment.

After that, there was only one ride I hadn't ridden yet that I wanted to ride: Witches Wheel. I rode that, and went back over to Magnum, where it was still a station wait. I rode 3 times, and this time I saw Bre, Megan, James, and Kyle all working. More trimless rides. :D

I decided I wanted a ride on Dragster, but it broke down due to mechanical reasons when I was 3 trains away from riding in the very back seat. Not wanting to guess how long it would take for an Intamin launch stratacoaster to be back up and running, I ducked out and went back for another ride on Magnum.

I headed back toward the front of the park for another visit to Scott, Jo, and maybe Schuyler. I hit Space Shot on the way, walk on again.

I hit old Blue, and chatted with Scott for a bit as he was on platform. He only gave me 2 clicks :D but on the lift hill, it lowered itself down 1 more. I yelled "NOOOOOOO!!" and the two little girls in front of me looked at me like I was completely insane, and giggled to each other. LOL

I went over to Raptor to see it was down to about a 5 minute wait!! I didn't see Schuyler, but I saw and chatted with Raptor Jo for a bit. I rode again, and had some really weird guy staring at me ask what my first, middle, and last name was. I bolted out of there, and decided it was time to end my night with Magnum and the Magnum crew.

All four of my friends were still working, so I rode 3 times. On my third ride, James announced that the crew had a surprise for me as the train left the station.. I was like "huh?" LOL. When I got back to the station, he told me to wait on the platform while Kyle chained off all but the first and last cars. He then motioned to one of the chained-off parts of the train, and told me to pick a seat, and that I could stay on until closing. Two guys also got on in front of me. The one turned around and asked me how I knew the Magnum crew, and then I realized with a start that I was looking at my friend Cameron that I'd never met! Turns out we have a lot of the same friends too.. yay for friend recognition on Magnum's lift hill! :lol:

I got 4 rides in a row without getting up, the whole time laughing and joking with all four ride ops every time we came back to the station. James hugged me as I left, and Megan made faces at me from the control booth LOL. I walked out the exit with a smile on my face from an amazing, yet somewhat crazy and cold day.

Ride count:

Magnum - 13 (11 were trimless!)

Raptor - 3

Maverick - 2

Millennium Force - 2

Blue Streak - 2

Power Tower Space Shot - 2

Dragster - 1

Skyhawk - 1

Wicked Twister - 1

maXair - 1

Witches Wheel - 1

Another great TR from Giga! You never cease to amaze me on your TR's. Glad you got to ride Magnum 13 times, Magnum is my all-time favorite steel coaster. Don't get me wrong though, Milly, TTD, and Maverick are still up there but not quite as good as the classic. Sounds like you had a great, cold, day at The Point.

It was freezing in the morning, in the evening, and on every single ride. Those trimless night rides on Maggie were absolutely frigid.. so was riding MF in 47 degrees with a breeze off the lake.

But it was all totally worth it. :D

I also forgot to mention that while I was on Maggie's lift hill at night, I looked off to the right and I could see a city lit up in the distance.. I believe it was Cleveland.

Nice TR Giga! I really liked reading this one! I'm glad to hear the park wasn't too busy, and you got 13 Magnum rides in. I really hope when I go it'll be pretty empty (Going Saturday.) Have you gotten a TTD Roll Back yet? I haven't and I'm really wanting to this upcoming Saturday. I have gotten a Maverick roll back though! :) Anyways, awesome report and sounds like a really fun & cold day at the Point!

I'm glad to hear the park wasn't too busy, and you got 13 Magnum rides in. I really hope when I go it'll be pretty empty (Going Saturday.) Have you gotten a TTD Roll Back yet?

You're going to CP on a Saturday during Halloweekends? :o The first time I went to CP on a Halloweekends Saturday, was the last day I will EVER do that unless I'm going for 2 or 3 days.

Millie's queue was COMPLETELY full to the switchbacks, with the line pouring out to the lockers.

TTD's queue was full, with the line backed up to the grandstand.

Maverick's queue was full, and wrapped around the queue with the line all the way back to Chick Fil A.

Magnum had close to a 2 hour wait, and Raptor had a full queue all day.

Even Wicked Twister, Power Tower, maXair, Blue Streak, Corkscrew, and Iron Dragon (which are usually walk ons) had an hour wait or close to it. There were long lines for food, restrooms, and even ATM machines. It was downright ridiculous how busy it was. I have the PTR to prove it.

To answer your question, I haven't had a TTD rollback yet. I want one though.

I have to say that it was supposed to be about the same last Saturday (10/17), but I think there was a 40% chance of rain. The park was so crowded. Even Iron Dragon had a very long line. I didn't wait in it with my son, but I would say judging from where it was (out into the park, not the roped off section) around 2 pm (when they do the costume contest) that it was close to a 45 min wait.

Saturdays are just plain crazy. We used Saturday to explore the kiddie areas, games, and costume contests for the kids..Oh and of course Boo's House.

You know you are a park enthusiast when you read a report like this and the first thing you think is gee, I wish I had been there! :)

Or when you think, hell yeah I was there and it was great. I'm surprised I didn't see you Angie but everyone was kinda bundled up:) Oh those trimless rides on Magnum! I got 4 laps on Mav during ERT WOOT!!!!!! The surprise highlight of the day was Wicket Twister. 3 laps witout leaving the seat and it was insanely fun, we were pretty hyper at that point too.

Side note, I would highly recommend not eating at Panda Express!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or when you think, hell yeah I was there and it was great. I'm surprised I didn't see you Angie but everyone was kinda bundled up:) Oh those trimless rides on Magnum! I got 4 laps on Mav during ERT WOOT!!!!!!

If you saw a girl with a grey/black/white hat with pom poms, a teal sweater and green cargo pants, that was me! Sorry I didn't tell you I was going.. I kind of like surprising people sometimes, but didn't see you. My friends that work on Magnum were totally surprised to see me!

Hey Angie, you think you'd be able to hook me up with a trimless Magnum ride this weekend? Haha

Tell Bre, James, or Megan you're friends with me. ;)

Also, if you jump on as soon as it opens, it's highly likely the ride will be trimless.. Maggie's trims are rarely on first thing in the morning.

Hey Angie, you think you'd be able to hook me up with a trimless Magnum ride this weekend? Haha

Tell Bre, James, or Megan you're friends with me. ;)

Also, if you jump on as soon as it opens, it's highly likely the ride will be trimless.. Maggie's trims are rarely on first thing in the morning.

Gotcha! Thanks Giga!

I didn't. I would've have recognized you if I saw you but seriously, it was my last CP trip of the season and I was very focused...well at least before the lunch break ;) .

Hey, about your outdated chips... my friend and I ate at Panda Express (I really should've known better) and puke for a few hours when we got home (not caused by previously mentioned break).