DORNEY is getting DEMON DROP?!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...“Initial plans to install the ride at Knott’s Berry Farm have recently changed,” Knott’s spokeswoman Jennifer Blazey said in a written statement. “The change is a result of a review of the site geography, aesthetic park design, land use, and in the ride’s uniqueness in the northeast United States.”...

http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/2009/1...fter-all/26729/

...Dorney Park officials confirmed that the relocated Demon Drop would open during summer 2010, not by opening day (May 1) but probably by the Fourth of July. ...

...Dorney Park will retain the Demon Drop name and logo, but may change the color scheme, according to park officials. The ride will be located in the northeast corner of the park near Thunder Creek Speedway go-carts. The existing Krazy Kars ride may have to be removed to make room for Demon Drop, officials said....

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/...erry-farm-5930/

"So...we have to remove Demon Drop to make way for our 2011 Coaster."

"Yea, but why pitch it? It's a perfectly good drop ride!"

"Actually, sir, it's 26 years old and the most ancient of the drop rides."

"Well still, it'll make a good addition to some park next year."

"You're suggesting we move it?"

"Exactly! Question is, where?"

"Michigans Adventure doesn't have a drop ride and is very close by, low on shipping costs."

"No! That's just what they're expecting us to do!"

...instead let's put it near a Six Flags park that had a ride just like it for many years....Knott's? Oh, they have objections? Okay, let's put it in Allentown, Pennsylvania...Stuntman's hasn't been gone that long from Great Adventure, and it had such high levels of ridership its last years, Demon Drop is sure to be a great success. And it's not like Dorney already has a drop ride. Not to mention Demon Drop is such a quiet ride and won't disturb our neighbors at Dorney who have had noise complaint after noise complaint after noise complaint...

After consideration of the aesthetics, geography and use of the land near the proposed ride area, it was decided that it will be better suited for our sister park, Dorney Park in Allentown, PA.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/fun/blog/...db-2fbfcedb0310

So let me get this straight.

They decide to move DD to KBF, and you guys get mad that it's going to be so far away, which was understandable.. KBF is well over 2,000 miles from CP. It was about to go to the other side of the country.

Then they decide to move it to Dorney, which is less than 500 miles away from CP, and also could be done on a PA coaster trip or on the way to SFGAdv. It's in the next state over.

And you guys are STILL mad?

Wow.

DT still has decent ridership too (it's air conditioned for one thing) and the lack of theming really makes CP look bad.

As far as DD leaving, someone mentioned earlier that CP may be managing the ammount of attractions and operating cost. In other words, cutting costs by not operating or manintaining DD to help minimize the financial impact of Shoot the Rapids. Gain one, loose one.

Gain one, loose one? Cedar Point is all about more rides then anyone else. Whether it brings in more nickels or not, I don't know. But I do know there are people in management who like that title. It's a good marketing ploy, too. And if they went by the logic of "Gain one, loose one," where would they be?

I think the removal of Demon Drop is all but an obvious sign of a ride going there. Rumors have been circulating for years that something would go there and that area is pretty much dead.

It is not the case that Wildcat does not generate long, long lines. It is among my very favorite rides at Cedar Point, and it nearly always has a long line.

Hear hear! I love to ride the Wildcat and hardly ever do because the line is usually quite long when I go to the park. Demon Drop, on the other hand, I haven't ridden since the first time I tried it back in '96. So I'm not sure about the line situation, but I'd assume it's at least partially due to the low capacity of the ride.

2007 Ridership

Power Tower: 233,107 (per tower)

Woodstock Express: 270,078

Chaos: 290,373

Witches Wheel: 309,503

Ocean Motion: 333,480

Troika: 343,950

WildCat: 423,627

Demon Drop: 503,438

Cedar Creek Mine Ride: 779,128 (keep in mind how many people ride this for the credit)

Mean Streak: 821,983

Disaster Transport: 844,707

A.K.A. : Demon Drop has highest ridership in the flat rides business. So it's obvious they wouldn't remove it unless it was to be replaced with a ride they thought would have even higher ridership.

I did not use the stats for all the flat rides. I think Delirium may have had higher, but it was also still fairly new that year...

A.K.A. : Demon Drop has highest ridership in the flat rides business. So it's obvious they wouldn't remove it unless it was to be replaced with a ride they thought would have even higher ridership.

A new ride does not guarantee higher ridership, nor should it.

It would be a terrible decision for any park to base future ride plans solely on ridership from a previous ride.

Also, put DD in the back of the park. I am willing to bet that ridership would decrease significantly.

I did not use the stats for all the flat rides. I think Delirium may have had higher, but it was also still fairly new that year...

It's called MaXair, not Delirium.