Does Diamondback Really Have the Airtime Record?

KI Kevin

Sorry if this is already here, but I didn't feel like searching through 278 pages (literally).

I have heard that Diamondback has the record for most airtime on a coaster. You know, like how Voyage has 24.2 seconds of airtime, making it the woodie with the most. I've heard 26.5 seconds of weightlessness.

I just need a straight answer, this doesn't need to be some long thread.

Sorry if this is already here, but I didn't feel like searching through 278 pages (literally).

I have heard that Diamondback has the record for most airtime on a coaster. You know, like how Voyage has 24.2 seconds of airtime, making it the woodie with the most. I've heard 26.5 seconds of weightlessness.

I just need a straight answer, this doesn't need to be some long thread.

I dont know if it has "record" airtime. It has plenty for me though!

More than any other coaster I've ridden.

From the Diamondback blog.

Diamondback stands 230 feet at its highest point with a first drop of 215 feet and an incredible 74-degree angle, reaching a speed of 80 miles per hour in 3.9 seconds! Riders on Diamondback will experience more than 30 seconds of airtime as they snake their way around 5,282 feet of track.

- Don Helbig

Guest TombraiderTy

We should keep in mind that many parks often exaggerate a coaster's statistics to some degree, especially the duration. I would imagine that airtime is no different, especially when considering the fact that the amount is different depending on the row, your weight, etc.

I don't think they've ever sent a G-force meter down the track, the estimates were based on the virtual models and scientific calculations. Until they do that, there's no way to really 'confirm' it's air time amount. However, through rough estimates, I believe it's safe to say that it would take the record from Voyage and that 30 seconds is a fair rounding of the air time. I've 'counted' the seconds of air time and have come up to between 29 and 31 seconds of air time every time I've done that.

I don't think they've ever sent a G-force meter down the track, the estimates were based on the virtual models and scientific calculations. Until they do that, there's no way to really 'confirm' it's air time amount. However, through rough estimates, I believe it's safe to say that it would take the record from Voyage and that 30 seconds is a fair rounding of the air time. I've 'counted' the seconds of air time and have come up to between 29 and 31 seconds of air time every time I've done that.

I'd be very surprised if they DIDN'T run real tests w/ accelerometers, to measure G-forces. Why in the world would they open a ride to the paying public without having quantitative data about the forces encountered by its riders?

• Like 1

Sorry for the double post, but since we're talking about airtime...

How much stomach-floating airtime are people feeling on DB? I only feel it on the 1st drop. This somewhat perplexes me, as there is PLENTY of airtime on that 2nd hill... but I never experience any real stomach-float other than the 1st drop. Can anyone offer an explanation for this? Am I the only one who only really feels it on the 1st drop?

Dakota I feel it on nearly every drop, whereveer I sit. I find rows 6-10 have the most and the second hill is incredible in any of those seats. I even get a lil' airtime after the trim brake and dropping out of the MCBR. I would imagine it has to do withy your expectations or something subjective like that.

I guarantee if you close your eyes cresting the first hill and keep them closed, you'll feel most of the drops in your stomache.

I also disagree. The front and the back have more ejecter air and the middle... Oh the most delicious floater airtime ever. So smooth and elegant. I'm seriously daydreaming about DB like I would a woman.

David, leaving to go join CAA

(my apologies to the OP for hijacking this thread!)

I haven't kept track of exactly which rows, but I've ridden DB numerous times in front, middle, and back. That 1st drop is absolutely wicked, in all rows. The sensation I'm talking about is the same sensation I feel on Drop Tower, Viking Fury to some extent, Racer 1st drop, Vortex 1st drop, even FAIRLY ODD COASTER 1st drop. I also get this sensation when driving fast on country roads with just the right "dip" in them.

The thing is, I do not get that sensation anywhere else on DB after the 1st drop. I'm trying to figure out why that is, and if I'm the only one like that. (so far, seems like I am! :( )

To me it's a worthless statistic. When I go over a hill it's either I a) get airtime, or B) don't. I don't think about how long I'm out of my seat. And no seat on Diamondback comes close to 1-3 on Magnum, in my opinion. Painfully incredible :)

The thing is, I do not get that sensation anywhere else on DB after the 1st drop. I'm trying to figure out why that is, and if I'm the only one like that. (so far, seems like I am! :( )

I feel the exact same way. I did not get as much airtime as everyone says there is. I got more on Behemoth to tell the truth. I just rode Diamondback for the first time this past weekend, and honestly can say it is one of the most overrated rides I have ridden(that is my opinion) Out of the 3 B&M hypers I have ridden, I would say I enjoyed Apollos Chariot best, then Behemoth, and then Diamondback.

I feel the exact same way. I did not get as much airtime as everyone says there is. I got more on Behemoth to tell the truth. I just rode Diamondback for the first time this past weekend, and honestly can say it is one of the most overrated rides I have ridden(that is my opinion) Out of the 3 B&M hypers I have ridden, I would say I enjoyed Apollos Chariot best, then Behemoth, and then Diamondback.

I think maybe there is some terminology ambiguity here. My body experiences "airtime" on DB's 2nd hill - lots of it. By this I mean that I come up out of my seat so-to-speak. But what is lacking is the intense sensation of weightlessness that is induced in my gut, like what I feel during the 1st drop. That sensation is what I crave, and unfortunately I don't feel it anywhere on DB after the 1st drop. None whatsoever.

Brandon, it sounds like you and I are on the same page with this. DB is fun, don't get me wrong. But honestly, after the 1st drop, the ride is largely uneventful due to what I explained in the previous paragraph.

On the second, third, fifth, and sixth drops, my body experiences loads of airtime. But on the first drop, my body sits there while my stomach flies into my throat. This is the feeling that I adore, and I only feel it on the first drop.

Thanks - now there are three of us at least ;)

I was starting to think my body had sensory issues!

And that, my friends, is a perfect example of why you must ride rides and develop your own opinions. My grandest coaster ever may be your piece of crap. Somewhere, someone adores Ninja at Six Flags Over Georgia. I'm quite sure of it.

A very close friend does indeed think Nitro is the most over-rated B & M hyper out there, other than Raging Bull. On most things we agree...on that, we do not.

I believe the claim was quantitative, not qualitative...as in most, not best....

Terpy, who would award best airtime to Superman: Ride of Steel at Six Flags New England when that coaster opened, and woodwise to what was then Six Flags Cyclone at that same park the year it ran the PTC trains while the park had what was then the new name and had not yet raised the first drop....

On the second, third, fifth, and sixth drops, my body experiences loads of airtime. But on the first drop, my body sits there while my stomach flies into my throat. This is the feeling that I adore, and I only feel it on the first drop.

Thanks - now there are three of us at least ;)

I was starting to think my body had sensory issues!

It's the exact same for me and oh do I crave that first drop intensity. A good comparison is how much more intense it is to get launched on dragster than it is to come down. Speaking of fisrt drops, I love you Millie!

You had asked about airtime and that's what I was answering.