Does Diamondback Really Have the Airtime Record?

KI Kevin

The thing is, I do not get that sensation anywhere else on DB after the 1st drop. I'm trying to figure out why that is, and if I'm the only one like that. (so far, seems like I am! :( )

I feel the exact same way. I did not get as much airtime as everyone says there is. I got more on Behemoth to tell the truth. I just rode Diamondback for the first time this past weekend, and honestly can say it is one of the most overrated rides I have ridden(that is my opinion) Out of the 3 B&M hypers I have ridden, I would say I enjoyed Apollos Chariot best, then Behemoth, and then Diamondback.

Funny thing is I feel the complete opposite. While all of the rides were fun, IMO Diamondback is better then Behemoth and way better then Apollo's Chariot. I am still torn whether or not I like Nitro better then Diamondback.

And that, my friends, is a perfect example of why you must ride rides and develop your own opinions. My grandest coaster ever may be your piece of crap. Somewhere, someone adores Ninja at Six Flags Over Georgia. I'm quite sure of it.

A very close friend does indeed think Nitro is the most over-rated B & M hyper out there, other than Raging Bull. On most things we agree...on that, we do not.

I agree completely. Ride experiences will always vary wildly based on the person who's doing the riding. I also think how lucky one is in catching a good ride plays a part in it too. I've had a number of so-so rides on B&M hypers. My first ride on DB, and some rides on Nitro and Goliath at SFOG were fun, but just OK otherwise. I've had some amazing rides on both of those coasters as well, so a lot depends on circumstances. Sometime it takes 5-10 rides just to get an accurate assessment. Raging Bull only took a couple of rides to realize it wasn't very good (outside of a great first drop).

People's opinions do vary, and I think that's what makes being an enthusiast so great. Personally, I think DB is a world-class riding experience, particularly in the front few rows. Some people don't feel that way, and that's cool too, because it means a shorter line for me when I go! All I know is that I see many of the same people in line for the ride on each visit.

I also believe that I didn't fully appreciate how good some coasters were until I stepped out and went to some other parks. We have so many great coasters here in Ohio that it's easy to lose sight of the fact that people in other parts of the country would love to have a B&M hyper. There are exactly 0 B&M hypers west of the Mississippi. In one trip next year you could ride 4 B&M hypers in a two day trip, maybe even 5 if you were hustling. It's very easy to be a little critical of rides when you have an abundance of great rides so close. All but three, maybe four of the top 20 steel coasters in the Golden Tickets are within a days drive. The top 17 wooden coasters are within a days drive. I'm not here to debate the merits of the Golden Tickets; my point is that we have so many good coasters close enough to us that it tends to distort our frame of reference. Part of the reason why I'm really starting to dislike comparing coasters is because each experience is unique. Either a ride is fun or it isn't. I'll ride something if it fills a void in what I like in rides, be that airtime, laterals, speed, whatever. As long as it comes out as even marginally fun then I'll probably take a spin, even if it's only on an occasional basis.

If Diamondback has the most airtime out of every coaster in the world, Voyage must be over rated. Sorry, I love Diamondback but it's airtime is weak. I'm more of an ejector kinda person, that's probably why.

Nick, PLEASE do not judge Voyage until you have ridden it. Comparing DB to Voyage is like comparing apples to starfruit.

DB feels like it has more floater air, and that's probably where the seconds added up. Even while being completely stapled on Voyage, I was still thrown off my seat into my restraint where the mad ejector air is.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

It does depend where you sit, in my experience. I used to think the back had the best floaty airtime, but riding it this afternoon in row 13 was like being weightless - I floated over every hill., not just on the drop, but actually cresting up over the hill. It was practically a mystical experience. That's why Diamondback is my favorite at Kings Island.

• Like 1

Diamondback doesn't have an airtime record. That belongs to The Voyage at Holiday World.

In the minds of all too many enthusiasts.

Air time?

Voyage?

Record?

Yep, as in enthusiasts long playing raves over that now legendary coaster.

At one time, the enthusiasts raved over a coaster you seldom hear ANYTHING about any more. Shivering Timbers. rrc even called its followers the Church of Shivering Timbers. This always bothered me, sending me off on a rampage.

(Waiting for someone to ask, "What is rrc?" See USENET.)

• Like 2

USENET was an early fore-runner of social networking. rrc was rec.roller-coaster and became a close knit worldwide group of users who loved coasters and posted in topics, very similar to a smaller KIC, with far more intense users. It was mostly unmoderated, no holds barred, and could be rough and tumble. In the 90's, it predated the worldwide web. It was amazing. Most ISP's dropped it about seven years ago. It can still be accessed other ways, but it's a mere shadow of its former self.

rrc members met up in parks and had a ball!

• Like 6

Most ISP's dropped it about seven years ago. It can still be accessed other ways, but it's a mere shadow of its former self.

Oh, I know many, many people who might disagree with that. It has exploded in terms of content, even recently. The real difference is that Usenet is used for things far more dubious nowadays...

-homestar92, a young whippersnapper with a penchant for technology that is older than he is.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I felt like I got much more airtime on Apollo's Chariot, the most wonderful B&M Hypercoaster which is located at Virginia's Most Scenic Theme Park.

Comma deleted. It IS the most wonderful B&M hypercoaster located at BGW. There is no more wonderful B&M hypercoaster that is located at BGW, but other places....
  • Like 2

I felt like I got much more airtime on Apollo's Chariot, the most wonderful B&M Hypercoaster which is located at Virginia's Most Scenic Theme Park.

Comma deleted. It IS the most wonderful B&M hypercoaster located at BGW. There is no more wonderful B&M hypercoaster that is located at BGW, but other places....

Ah ok, so the way the commas were situated in BB7's post, he was saying that he thought Apollo's Chariot was the most wonderful B&M hyper regardless of location, and your way of disagreeing was to remove the 2nd comma :) I thought you were just giving a general grammar lesson. Takes a while for my brain to get going in the morning sometimes.

• Like 2

Spaces are important too.

This is what a paragraph with no spaces or punctuation would look like (it also has one capital letter):

ilovedDiamondbackitwassoawesomeanditwillneverbesurpassedformostairtimebutirecentlyresearchedandfoundthatthevoyageatholidayworldhasthemostsoyeahbutitstillhasalotofairtimeespeciallyforasteelrollercoasterbecausewoodiessuchaseltorothevoyagetheracerrebelyellandmorearedesignedforairtimeandhavelooserrestraintswhichimprovetheairtimeornegativegforcesensation

That's a mouthful!

• Like 1

ilovedDiamondbackitwassoawesomeanditwillneverbesurpassedformostairtimebutirecentlyresearchedandfoundthatthevoyageatholidayworldhasthemostsoyeahbutitstillhasalotofairtimeespeciallyforasteelrollercoasterbecausewoodiessuchaseltorothevoyagetheracerrebelyellandmorearedesignedforairtimeandhavelooserrestraintswhichimprovetheairtimeornegativegforcesensation

Interestingly, I had virtually no problems reading that.

I'm not sure what that says about me.

• Like 1