KINGS ISLAND SETTLES SOB CASE AFTER JURY LOSS

The Interpreter

LEBANON - Kings Island officials struck a confidential settlement with a Defiance woman who was hurt on the Son of Beast roller coaster just minutes after a jury awarded her $76,364 in compensatory damages Monday....

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009101...injured+rider++

Settlement is confidential and avoids possible verdict on punitive damages...

I'm calling B.S. on both statements from her. First off, she had nothing but dollar signs in her eyes ever since the accident. I bet you she could care less what happens to SOB.

Secondly, three years of agony? If she was in that much pain, I almost guarantee that her doctors would have had her in the hospital admitted, because she would have something else wrong than a bum hip. To her I say this, get over it. Several thousands of people live with much worse than what you are explaining, and they live normal lives. Take my dad for one example. A bad hip, two bad knees, and he can't get the required treatment because the insurance company will not cover it till he is 55, so he has 5 more years of "pain and suffering." Does that stop him from doing his job? No. Does that stop him from enjoying life? No. He grins and bears it until he can get the treatment.

I do not wish death upon anyone, nor accident. However, I almost guarantee that she is going to blow this money on pointless stuff, and then be trying to sue KI again in the future for more medical (I know I know she can't, but this is what I think will happen.) If she really wanted no one else to suffer from this ride, she would have immediately turned around and told KI to donate her "pain and suffering" money to a charity.

SOB TOM, this is why the settled for more then what the jury awarded. The park wants this case to go away & never come back. I personally don't understand why they would offer her anything more then what the jury awarded, but I don't know all the facts about the case.

One thing I am pretty certain of, the attorney bills were probably more then the award.

If the park were to "be fiscally punished for allowing the ride to operate and the resulting injuries to occur", would that be more monetary damages they would pay? If so, where does that money go?

Edit: From the first article:

Jurors were getting ready to start a second phase of the trial to determine if Kings Island should be punished by having to pay more money to Wright as well as attorney fees.

Yes. It would have gone to the plaintiff. And the park doubtless paid at least a portion of that as part of the settlement. And perhaps attorney's fees. Obviously, both parties must have been satisfied with a compromise rather than taking their chances with the jury and any resulting appeals, more lawyers' fees, etc.\

EDIT: You quoted the article as I answered! :)

I bet you she could care less what happens to SOB.

If she really wanted no one else to suffer from this ride, she would have immediately turned around and told KI to donate her "pain and suffering" money to a charity.

1. Why should she care about what happens to SoB? The ride injured her.

2. ...huh? There's a charity dedicated to those injured by SoB?

In order for the jury to award economic damages in the first phase of the trial (which it did), it had to determine the defendant was responsible for the damages. So, yes. Then a settlement was reached before a decision was made as to whether the park's actions were such that it should be financially punished for the matter, as in punitive damages and/or attorney's fees. The amount and terms of the settlement are both confidential. The jury verdict is not.

i say lets not attack the woman. To be truthful no one knows the full story except her, her doctors, and her lawyers. Do not pass judgement unless ye wants to be judged, or something like that. Maybe this lady was in too much pain to go on, maybe she faked. Either way she was riding a ride that broke while she was on it and caused her, and about 25 others, some semi-serious injuries. She didnt cause them on her self, meaning she didnt do anything wrong while riding the ride, so lets be gentle on her. She may never be able to enjoy a roller coaster again. And I believe we can all relate to how horrible it would be to never enjoy a certain pleasure again.....

And for those little guys and gals who won't believe anything until they see it on Screamscape:

...Park News - (10/20/09) After the jury had voted 7 to 1 to award the plaintiff just over $75,000 from the Son of Beast trial, Kings Island successfully made a settlement offer to avoid the punitive damage portion of the trial. The exact amount is not known, but it would be more than what the jury had already agreed to award her....

http://www.screamscape.com/html/kings_island.htm

And for those little guys and gals who won't believe anything until they see it on Screamscape:

...Park News - (10/20/09) After the jury had voted 7 to 1 to award the plaintiff just over $75,000 from the Son of Beast trial, Kings Island successfully made a settlement offer to avoid the punitive damage portion of the trial. The exact amount is not known, but it would be more than what the jury had already agreed to award her....

http://www.screamscape.com/html/kings_island.htm

LMAO .....now its Official!!

Lawyers anymore just want money. If you see the ads for the lawyers wanting to help you with lawsuits, they are lawsuits for the side effects that alot of the Rx meds have. They want you to get money from the Rx companys. Those ads have been showing on tv here in Columbus. I think that this lady is faking most of her injury unless she has her med. records to back it up. Alot of drs i talked to about this lady's lawsuit have told me that a hip replacement can last as long as 20 years depending on the person. The thing that gets me is that she waited 2 years after the accident to sue the park. And it doesnt tell the ladys age either.

Lawyers anymore just want money. If you see the ads for the lawyers wanting to help you with lawsuits, they are lawsuits for the side effects that alot of the Rx meds have. They want you to get money from the Rx companys. Those ads have been showing on tv here in Columbus. I think that this lady is faking most of her injury unless she has her med. records to back it up. Alot of drs i talked to about this lady's lawsuit have told me that a hip replacement can last as long as 20 years depending on the person. The thing that gets me is that she waited 2 years after the accident to sue the park. And it doesnt tell the ladys age either.

The jury, who were presented with the real facts of the case, apparently did not think she was faking.

And when did lawyers ever want anything other than money? :P

The jury, who were presented with the real facts of the case, apparently did not think she was faking.

And when did lawyers ever want anything other than money? :P

And if I am correct she didnt wait for two years to sue.... Usually things take time to go to court. I could say I want to sue Dakota for hitting me with a car. Well that wont go to court right away. I will have to get done with my medical treatment. Doctors from both sides have to look me over. A court date has to be set. Both sides meet. One side asks for an extension, new evidence is presented. It does not work like in Law and Order. Civil lawsuits usually take some time, sometimes 3 years. I had a family member that sued a hotel because of their negligence. After 3 years they settled out of court for medical bills and some pain and suffering (which our lawyer told us was the Hotels way of hoping to keep us quiet about the incident). So guys its not you sue and it goes right to court. The hip replacement issue is a touchy situation also. One person could have a hip replacement that lasts 35 years, and another person has a hip replacement that lasts 5 years. Why is this lady so wrong for wanting to have the ability to take care of herself in the future if she would need it. But its all water under the bridge, some people sue for frivolous law suits and some people have legitimate claims. Remember the McDonalds Coffee incident wasn't because she spilled coffee on herself, but because the machine was broke and heated the coffee to an extreme temperature that caused severe burns when spilled........

BTW dont read the comments section on the Enquirer's website, it will just make you aggravated because people think the lady sued because the ride was rough....

^I always enjoy reading "comments" :P

Secondly, three years of agony? If she was in that much pain, I almost guarantee that her doctors would have had her in the hospital admitted, because she would have something else wrong than a bum hip. To her I say this, get over it. Several thousands of people live with much worse than what you are explaining, and they live normal lives. Take my dad for one example. A bad hip, two bad knees, and he can't get the required treatment because the insurance company will not cover it till he is 55, so he has 5 more years of "pain and suffering." Does that stop him from doing his job? No. Does that stop him from enjoying life? No. He grins and bears it until he can get the treatment

If there is one disabled person that's my hero, its my dad. Who's right leg is completely fused after having himself stuck in a operating wheel chair lift on a Cincy Metro bus when he was on duty fixing the roof of it in garage. And yet the man is a tornado spotter, farmer, boy scout master, loves being at KI even if it means he has to crutch all over the park (man been on crutches for 19 years)

I love people in the comment section that talk like they know everything about the park. I also like how some people in the comment section choose to bring things that do not even matter into play, like keeping new rides coming and making KI like Cedar Point.

As far as the trial goes, I am glad they have finally got everything sorted out. I am glad the trial is finally over and I think that everything that needed to be done was done. Now we will just have to see what the future holds for the park and for Son of Beast.

KI was found responsible. Get over it.

Tell us how you really feel CedarPointer, haha. No need to be rude.

Although I don't agree with everything involved in this case, I'm happy to see the lady wasn't awarded anything monetarily that would of been over the top, as in a 6 figure settlement. It could of been a lot worse.

KI was found responsible. Get over it.

Tell us how you really feel CedarPointer, haha. No need to be rude.

Although I don't agree with everything involved in this case, I'm happy to see the lady wasn't awarded anything monetarily that would of been over the top, as in a 6 figure settlement. It could of been a lot worse.

for whom? Worse for you the average park goer? worse for the park that it would have to pay her money for riding a ride at their park that broke? worse for the lady who, may or may not, be able to continue a 100% normal life? remember folks there are still a few people out of the 28 people who have not settled......

Personally I think she got about what she deserved, money to pay her bills and heaven forbid, if she needs a hip replacement she has the money to do it, even if someone posted earlier that she may not need it - arthroscopic may be all she needs. Either way be glad you were not on that train when it all went down....

From the first article, a quote from Jennifer Wright:

"My biggest hope now is the public will be aware of the issues with Son of Beast and that that situation will be rectified so nobody else has to suffer, ever. That was my biggest thing from day one."

unless she had been on another planet with her head in the ground facing the opposite direction anyone would have to have heard about the roughness of SOB. Granted, no one could have seen that accident coming- but in order to reopen those issues would have to have been fixed. If someone is looking for compensation for injuries or just for lifestyle interruption- call it what it is.

I don't think this instances would have any bearing on SOB's future. This has been ongoing and likely has already been taken into consideration. The injury from May 2009- different story.