How do you Handle Line Jumpers?

Dane

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we see them coming up the line we try to connect so we block so they cant go around us.

But I remind them that line jumping is not a sport and its not funny and its against the rules and Kings Island. It's on the sign when you come into The Beast and Vortex. It's not exactly that but it's pretty close. One time some kid started cussing me out. So I don't really do that anymore.

When I lined jumped on Bring a Friend Free day, I lined jumped on Face Off. When we got on Face Off, we got stuck and kept going, a miscatch. Right when we got off, the security guard came over to my (black) friends, and told them they had a report about line jumping and warned them, if they did it again, they would be suspended from the park for a year.

Well, when someone is going to line jump, they make it kind of obvious because they're usually trying to catch up with their other group of friends.

If you're between the two groups, just stand side by side with the people that you're with. They'll stand there and keep trying to bump past you and say "excuse me" to try to get you out of the way. Act like you don't notice them, and if you're persistant, they'll make asses of themeselves.

Finally, when they "get" your attention, remind them of the rules very loudly.

-Ryan

Depends.

Someone can ask very nicely and if the people are just a few a head its no problem. If there nasty about it and rude Then I just block the way if they cause a fight then I make enough noise to stop operation of the ride and have security called. I also still know the number to communications and will call security myself if no one notices.

Is there a phone number that the general public can call to report problems in line? I've often thought about using the main information line, but I wasn't sure if they were prepared or willing to route calls like that. All too often, there's no employee around, and my wife would prefer that I not cause a scene.

There are no numbers that the employees are allowed to give out that a guest can use to get ahold of either security or our communications center directly.

If you do have a problem in line and can not get an employee, the best thing to do is to call the general information line and talk with a person there. It might take some time to get a real person on the line, but I belive that those calls are going to the park and that they will be able to get ahold of someone for you.

The best thing to do with line jumpers is remember the faces. If security does get called to it, they can't do anything if no one can point out the line jumpers. Line jumpers will be asked to leave the line and start at the end or to leave the ride altogether.

If the situation looks like it will get worse, just stop and try to do your best to get an employee. You are no there to do a park employee's job, and your certainly not there to get hurt.

Line Jumping consists of any reason a guest(s) gets out of line and attempts to get back into line where they were. Leaving a line for any reason and trying to get back into the line anyplace but the very end, is line jumping. Trying to (re)join a group that is somewhere other than the very in the of the line is line jumping. In other words, once your in line, stay in line. If you get out of line, start at the end again. If you get into line, start at the end of the line. It's not a hard thing to understand.

Exactly. We can't really do anything unless guests come forward and tell us that there was line jumping. We don't know what the people look like, but the people in line do. If you do see anyone line jumping, just tell an employee, and make sure you can point the person out and/or describe the people.

Ya just tell an employee about it, and the situation will be taken care of. Becuase most lines are not activley monitored, its hard for employees to know when people line jump, we rely on guests telling us.

Well I was in Delerium line once with my gf, and my otehr two friends and we weren't paying attentiona nd these 3 girls got in front of us by going under the bar. So when we realized that the lined moved we didn't even notice that they had cut us until this guy behind us confronted them about it. Me and my friends were completely lost, but we didn't care either since we were all going to teh same place. The guy behind us though made this humongous deal all the way thru the line and started cussing at the girls. The girls ended up cussing back, but not to loudly. And they were saying they woudl like beat the man up and stuff for harassing them. So when the guy got to the gate thing were the ride op is he told on the girls and the ride op did nothing about it. I thought it was hilarious that the guy complained all the way thru the line and still nothing happened. So even when we do tell nothing happens...i don't get it?!?!?! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

well like BoObKiNoS said if you really want something taken care of just let the associters know we don't bite (aleast most of us don't) just make sure you let us know we are here to make your day better. I really feel that if i see a line jumper my self i would just let them know were they went wrong and usually we just let them off with a warning.

What's the point in telling an employee after you get to the station. First of all, the person that cut in front of you probably already rode and is far away by the time i would get up there. If they are at the platform when I say something, then its still my word against theirs. And if they're going to get off with a warning, why should I waste my time and risk retaliation. The simple fact is the the lines need to be monitored by security. What does security do at PKI besides run those stupid metal detectors and walk the midway flirting with the lemon chill girls. I've never seen them watching the lines. Have you ever rode Raptor or Millie when security is watching the lines? No one smokes. No one cuts. No one is even sitting on the railings. That's how to run a park.

The simple fact is the the lines need to be monitored by security. What does security do at PKI besides run those stupid metal detectors and walk the midway flirting with the lemon chill girls. I've never seen them watching the lines. Have you ever rode Raptor or Millie when security is watching the lines? No one smokes. No one cuts. No one is even sitting on the railings. That's how to run a park.

Hold up!

First off, security can not be eveywhere, it's impossible! If we were to place an officer at every ride line for the entire time the ride was opened, it would cost the park a ton of money.

Second off, security does a lot of things in the park. Security officers are first responders to first aid calls. They are trained in CPR and can save your life if the need arises.

Security does a lot of things in the park, from helping lost kids and parents reunite, responding to first aid calls, protecting park property and guests from unrulely guests and much, much more. In short Security does a lot of things that the average guest will not see.

The metal dectors are far from stupid, they are helping make the park a resonably safe place for families to enjoy themselves. We have had far more compliments on them than we have complaints.

Security officers do walk the exits of the line, and in most rides they can see the ride line itself. They do watch the lines when they get a chance, but can only do something if they see it themeselves or a guests calls out to them to let them know what is going on.

If a ride op doesn't do anything about a line jumper when a guest(s) complains about them, you really do need to get their name and tell Guest Relations. If the employee isn't going to handle it, then they could at least call Security to do it.

Have you ever rode Raptor or Millie when security is watching the lines? No one smokes. No one cuts. No one is even sitting on the railings. That's how to run a park.

That sounds more like running a jail to me. Constant "security" watching over you.

yes it may seem or osund like they are running a prison, but obviously it works, so why doesn't PKi do that. DONOTSTANDUP you have a very good point.

~RYAN~ biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I must say, Knott's Berry Farm in Cali did have security guards in each of their big rides' lines. It does help, and I think it should be implemented. And they don't have to be at every ride, just the ones with the biggest complaints about line jumping and/or longest line time, because we all know when the line gets long, line jumping runs rampant. Flight of Fear, Face/Off, Son of Beast, and Tomb Raider would be my choices.

Flight of Fear in the hanger, but they would need to be where they can see everything, like on a cat walk above everyone with easy access down to different parts of the que.

Vortex! Vortex is horrible for line jumping b/c of the low fence, bathrooms, and the food cart at the end of the line. People will get out of line for all those reasons, and then some, and try to get back in line all the time. Then there are the groups which get in line when someone goes to the bathroom and then they jump the fence to get in... argh!

I haven't heard many complaints about line jumping from Face/Off...

TR? Where at? Outside wouldn't be a problem, inside would be.

SOB needs something, but security can't get access to a big part of the que, the ramps going up to the station. That causes a communication break down between a complaintant and security b/c security can't talk to them or pull them from line to point out the jumpers in the station (if they made it that far).

I just imagined Face/Off would be because of the long lines due to one train, and all of the ques before you go under the ride all in a small space.

Now that you mention it, Vortex would be a place with alot of line jumping...

Well, there is a catwalk in the hanger (If I remember correctly...) and it would add to the theming! I mean, it is supposed to be a high security military base, and wouldn't it be cool looking to see a security guard with one of those sniping rifles (fake of course) walking back and forth patroling the area.

I agree with you guys about the fence at The Vortex entrance. It is a pain. The only problem is, I'm sure it's there for a reason. Since people are inherently stupid, the line probably won't follow the wall, it would stick out into the middle of the road.

I've had trouble with Face/Off as well. It's not so much people jump queues as it is groups getting split up and the person or people who are behind try to catch up with the rest buy bypassing the others. I may understand if your group is split up when entering the queue that you ask permission to pass someone up to get with your group. I've seen someone "catch up" with someone who was nearly on the platform when they were under the covered area. Of course, the right thing to do would be to have the group reunite back where the second group is, but I'm sure that's far too lofty of a concept for these people.

-Ryan

Having security patrol the lines is a good idea cause line jumping will be reduced. However everyone keeps mentioning the people whp stop for drinks or candy and then rejoin their group. If they have security then those people wouldn't be able to join their group. Therefore not being able to ride.

Then again if their are 4 people in front of you and one of them stops for a drink then rejoins and you complain about where is it going to get you. I mean there was 4 people to begin with and you complaining isn't gonna change anything. You can tell the ride-ops, but can the ride-ops really do anything if they say that tehy stopped. If this is considered line jumping then why have the candy and pop machines if you know people will stop for them and get seprated from their group?

If that is confusing I'm sorry...lol..

~ RYAN ( legally )

RY RY DANCE GUY ( to most ) biggrin.gif

Edited by NoLimits8705

Hold up!

First off, security can not be eveywhere, it's impossible! If we were to place an officer at every ride line for the entire time the ride was opened, it would cost the park a ton of money.

Second off, security does a lot of things in the park. Security officers are first responders to first aid calls. They are trained in CPR and can save your life if the need arises.

Security does a lot of things in the park, from helping lost kids and parents reunite, responding to first aid calls, protecting park property and guests from unrulely guests and much, much more. In short Security does a lot of things that the average guest will not see.

So, security at CP doesn't do all these things? Actually they do that and more because some of the are actually police officers employed by the CP police department (a precint of the Sandusky PD). And they still find time to watch the lines. They are on call waiting for something to happen most of the time. They can spend this time on the midway (like at PKI) or watching the lines and doing something useful (like at CP).

From just sitting here thinking, I think line jumping is the worst in ques for Drop Zone, Delirium, and Vortex.

But still line jumping at PKI is nothing compaired to Disney, I had 11 people cut in front of me to join up with their group. There group that was already in line was only 1 little girl. mad.gif

So, security at CP doesn't do all these things? Actually they do that and more because some of the are actually police officers employed by the CP police department (a precint of the Sandusky PD). And they still find time to watch the lines. They are on call waiting for something to happen most of the time. They can spend this time on the midway (like at PKI) or watching the lines and doing something useful (like at CP).

Security at PKI is just fine. I'm sure if I got to CP tomorrow that there will not be an officer at every major ride line every minute that the park is open. If you can't find an officer at PKI that walks the exits of the rides, you just aren't looking hard enough. If the guests would just follow the rules we wouldn't have problems to begin with. What I really hate are the guests that complain when they are pulled out of line for line jumping but would really b**ch if someone did it to them.

There is no reasonable way to staff every major ride's que with an officer, or any employee for that matter, especially in the early and late operating days of the season because there just isn't enough staff to go around because of schools being in session and vacations. Belive it or not, there really aren't a lot of people that want to work at a theme park all summer long. Now if you, donotstandup, are willing to put in the hours to stand at a ride line all day long and make sure no one line jumps, please, be the first in line to be hired for that job. At least then one ride will have someone constantly watching.

DragonLord, I've paid my dues. Two years at CP was enough for me. I know what it's like. Now I call PKI my home park, but can't help but make comparisons. I know you can't have somebody watch every line all the time. What I would hope for is an occasional highly visable presence. That gaurd that sits on the exit ramp on Raptor for example. There's not always somebody there, but every time I visit CP (once or twice a year) I notice that on at least one of my Raptor rides. And CP does this with other popular rides as well, though their perches aren't quite so glaringly obvious.

People need to know there are consequences for their misdeeds. When they get away with it they'll do it again. If a few people get caught and get kicked out of line (a warning is not a significant consequence), they'll warn others that somebody is watching. Then the word would get out that its not something worth doing. I saw some serious line jumping on AE yesterday. (sidenote: I told the op, but they were already gone. Nothing he could do...) And what did the others in line think? Well one other person also reported the issue, but several others said "hey that was so easy we should do that next time."