Charlie Brown & The Haunted House?

IslandAddict

Note, however, the words, the FORMER Scooby Doo & The Haunted Castle...

I think it a safe bet that Scooby has been banished from the park, save for as merchandise for sale or as game prizes, if even that...

And in case you were wondering - this is NOT a direct quote from "Austin Benton". He asked "What are the details about Planet Snoopy?...like names of rides..scooby's haunted mansion etc." so it was KI editing that added the word former (as well as corrected the name).

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I wouldn't give to walk through that park right now and check it out myself, they said pictures would be coming in a matter of days, but we must remember this IS Kings Island, the Fun and Only...

I guess Boo Blasters on Boo Hill (Barf) could be un-Peanuts, but I believe at all other parks there's a Peanuts tie-in on it, so I'm left to wonder what it will be, and why it was not assimilated into Planet Snoopy...

Resistance is not futile?

I have put my disapproval of Cedar Fair's choices out on a limb quite a few times in the last few years.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe they'd acknowledge that our Nickelodeon Universe was always bigger and better than other park's Nickelodeon Centrals, and that maybe they'd respect that by giving us a unique, well-themed area a la Camp Snoopy. Nope.

I was happy when they first took charge (which I've never admitted before!) because if Cedar Fair does anything well, it's upkeep; I knew that Top Gun would be repainted, Racer would be restored, and Tomb Raider's downtime would be reduced to nothing. Didn't happen.

I was happy because I knew many of our rides would be rebranded with less-commercialized, and more interesting names, even if they were copied from legacy parks (Drop Zone -> Power Tower; Top Gun -> Silver Bullet; Italian Job: Stunt Track -> Turbo Stunt Track.) Nah, we get Flight Deck.

Even after all that, people are putting their hopes out there that Fairly Odd Coaster will become The Beastie while every other park gets Woodstock Expresses, or that maybe they'll recognize that we're special and give us something other than Boo Blasters on Boo Hill. I hope that's the case, but I've given up on trusting that they'll honor the traditions and history of the park.

Kings Island is cleaner, and we get Diamondback. Both really great things! But now we also get Boo Blasters on Boo Hill, "Flight Deck," The Crypt, no Son of Beast, poor music choices, a degradation in theme around the park, etc. And now that Cedar Fair may be "going broke," I can only fear for the park's future. Didn't Kinzel himself say that he wanted the Paramount Parks chiefly for Kings Island? That's why I fear that, even if they know they are not the best thing for the park, what remains (if any) of Cedar Fair will hold on Kings Island with a stranglehold, and bring it down with them if they should go under... They claim they've returned Kings Island to the way it was in the '70's and '80's. If by that they mean they removed "Paramount's" from the park's name, then yes. But the Tower Gardens are bare, the themeing is worse now than its ever been, Racer's paint is flaking, and much much more... If they claim that it's back to the way it used to be, at least make some kind of effort to do so.

That's my monthly allowance of Cedar Fair disapproval. This was only a test of my anger-broadcast-system. Please don't get all mad and respond angrily at this. The idea of people thinking that this ride might become Phantom Theater again just brings up a lot of the times I've been disappointed. Would it cost exactly the same amount of money to rename FOC to The Beastie? Sure. But I just don't think Cedar Fair cares enough to do that. That's just me.

But they brought nostalgia back and have Racer running the right way on the tracks.

I know that is the reason for doing that as they said it was. At first....and repeatedly. Racer. As it was meant to be.

Then, later, quietly, at a coaster enthusiast gathering of some sort, it was admitted by a park representative who knows that it was a manufacturer's recommendation that forced the return to forwards only operation.

I have put my disapproval of Cedar Fair's choices out on a limb quite a few times in the last few years.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe they'd acknowledge that our Nickelodeon Universe was always bigger and better than other park's Nickelodeon Centrals, and that maybe they'd respect that by giving us a unique, well-themed area a la Camp Snoopy. Nope.

I was happy when they first took charge (which I've never admitted before!) because if Cedar Fair does anything well, it's upkeep; I knew that Top Gun would be repainted, Racer would be restored, and Tomb Raider's downtime would be reduced to nothing. Didn't happen.

I was happy because I knew many of our rides would be rebranded with less-commercialized, and more interesting names, even if they were copied from legacy parks (Drop Zone -> Power Tower; Top Gun -> Silver Bullet; Italian Job: Stunt Track -> Turbo Stunt Track.) Nah, we get Flight Deck.

Even after all that, people are putting their hopes out there that Fairly Odd Coaster will become The Beastie while every other park gets Woodstock Expresses, or that maybe they'll recognize that we're special and give us something other than Boo Blasters on Boo Hill. I hope that's the case, but I've given up on trusting that they'll honor the traditions and history of the park.

Kings Island is cleaner, and we get Diamondback. Both really great things! But now we also get Boo Blasters on Boo Hill, "Flight Deck," The Crypt, no Son of Beast, poor music choices, a degradation in theme around the park, etc. And now that Cedar Fair may be "going broke," I can only fear for the park's future. Didn't Kinzel himself say that he wanted the Paramount Parks chiefly for Kings Island? That's why I fear that, even if they know they are not the best thing for the park, what remains (if any) of Cedar Fair will hold on Kings Island with a stranglehold, and bring it down with them if they should go under... They claim they've returned Kings Island to the way it was in the '70's and '80's. If by that they mean they removed "Paramount's" from the park's name, then yes. But the Tower Gardens are bare, the themeing is worse now than its ever been, Racer's paint is flaking, and much much more... If they claim that it's back to the way it used to be, at least make some kind of effort to do so.

That's my monthly allowance of Cedar Fair disapproval. This was only a test of my anger-broadcast-system. Please don't get all mad and respond angrily at this. The idea of people thinking that this ride might become Phantom Theater again just brings up a lot of the times I've been disappointed. Would it cost exactly the same amount of money to rename FOC to The Beastie? Sure. But I just don't think Cedar Fair cares enough to do that. That's just me.

I agree completely. I feel that as Cedar Fairs time in charge has gone on, Kings Island has in a way, developed more of a 'generic' feel to it. The same music playing in every area of the park, especially International Street, just takes away from the magic that was once there. The creativity that was once there seems to be gone and the new ride names, just seem like they were done in a hurry and modeled to look like the old logos in hopes that the General Public wouldn't notice.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until we actually have a chance to see Planet Snoopy in its completion. But in all honesty, from their other examples of theming (mostly talking about the Crypt here)I'm expecting Planet Snoopy to be somewhat of a step down from Nickelodeon Universe in most aspects.

While the additions of Firehawk and Diamondback and the park looking as clean as ever are definite positives, my general view of Cedar Fairs time in charge of Kings Island so far is pretty negative.

Fairly Odd Coaster will more than likely get a generic Peanuts name that is seen in just about every other Cedar Fair park, and SDatHC will probably just be Boo Blasters on Boo Hill, which is probably going to be nothing more than SDatHC minus Scooby Doo. I really hope I'm wrong though. And if somehow they did decide to bring back Phantom Theater, which would come as a huge surprise to me, I would not expect it to be anywhere near as good as it was originally.

Sorry to be negative, it's just been one of those days, and it's only 2. :blink:

It is true that Paramount over-commercialized the park, with ads for Gillette and things like that.

But I'd take a Gillette sticker on the Top Gun train over an unpainted, rusting Flight Deck train anyway.

Sure things like the themeing in the Top Gun station decreased and almost died under Paramount's rule, but Cedar Fair didn't even try to put in themeing. Paramount had themeing that did, after time, deteriorate. Cedar Fair never added theme to begin with, so none of their lack-of-themeing degrades. I know that's confusing, but it's true. The park seems better and more stable, but only because there's nothing new added to the theme.

At least Paramount tried to make things interesting. Yes, they had trouble with upkeep, but they tried. It made coming to the park more of an experience, not a generic run of the mill amusement park, which seems to be the Cedar Fair trend. No one can tell me that walking in through the front gates, onto International Street, and hearing the Star Trek theme song, or Indiana Jones in the background, set you up for an amazing day at Kings Island. Its the small touches like that that Cedar Fair either doesn't understand, or doesn't care to try to understand, they just slap some rides in here and there and everything is honky dory.

If I had to chose, I'd go the "they don't care" route. After all, after even a dozen or so emails or comments about it, you'd think they'd say, "Well, it's cheap" (which it apparently is since they use it at Worlds of Fun "and I doubt anyone would complain about it." If it would make even a thousand guests happy, and it costs so very very very very little, why not do it? Because it takes too much time to ask Worlds of Fun to send the playlist over? Because it takes too long to set that as the music playing over the International Street speakers?

I think they just don't care.

The things Paramount did were, even if temporary, far exceeding anything anyone could've thought a seasonal theme park would have. In many ways, they revolutionalized many things - Parks like Islands of Adventure have taken the "area specific soundtrack" idea and run with it. Parks like Disney and Universal are just now adding coasters with on-board and/or synchornized sounds the way Tomb Raider, Italian Job and even Flight of Fear had been doing since their creation. Sure it wasn't all necessarily kept up at 100% operations, but even at 25% operation was more than other seasonal parks had tried (and 25% is 100% more work than Cedar Fair has done on the "details" front).

It is really too bad that more members here do not remember or were not around KI pre-Paramount.

CF, or any company for that matter, cannot be expected to fix the issues they inherited in a couple years what took Paramount over a decade to ruin.

It would be ridiculous to assume that all, or even most of the problems at the park today were brought on by Paramount. I assume your main point is Son of Beast. Yes, it may have been a mistake. But I find it very silly, and you certainly come across as having a pre-disposed dislike of Paramount (in fairness, the same way I have a dislike for Cedar Fair) if the point you're trying to make is that Cedar Fair is doing the best they can with what they were given.

I would argue that, when a rides across the nation are re-named not with a new identity, but with a clearly generic version of their old identity, Cedar Fair hasn't done all they could with what they were given. Those who disliked Paramount's reign around here point only to them destroying the park's theme. At least they tried. In many ways, they made what the park is today in both good and bad, and there's absolutely no way for any of us to know where (or if) the park would be if Paramount or Taft were still around, or if Cedar Fair never came. For all we know, in some parallel dimension where one of those scenarios is true, the park may already be closed, The Beast falling apart and overtaken by the woods, etc.

My dislike of the company comes from their decisions with the operations and then closure of Geauga Lake. But at least there, they came into ownership of the park and had mere weeks to re-make everything sans Six Flags licensing. The Paramount Parks were purchased and had a year for all sorts of planning, tidying up, and improving that just didn't happen.

That's my opinion. It is biased, yes. But I can appreciate the things that all three (and really, more) owners of the park have done positively, and also the things they could've spent more time on. Kings Island would be a far different place without Cedar Fair. And it would be a far different place without Paramount. But it's more than the sum of its parts - it's come together into a fantastic place full of breathtaking rides and good times. And likely, no matter who owns or owned the park, it will stay that way.

^ Where does your obsession of me and SoB come from? You really need to move on as you are just making things up from rather simple comments.

And my attitude of Paramount comes from knowing KI before Paramount took over. The park was leaps and bounds compared to where it is today. CF has had a limited amount of time, and resources, to bring things back to where they were. But you really can't understand that since you cannot remember KI pre-Paramount. Can you?

Go back and read the trip reports of 2009, especially the opening day ones. Many of the comments that were made are very positive to the direction the park is going.

I find it laughable that the first thing you bring up negative about CF are ride names. Sure, the ride names suck, but that does not take away from the ride experience in any way. I have never came off a ride and said: "darn! That is one great ride name!"

CF took over a failing park in GL and did what they could. Do you honestly think anyone would purposely spend a great sum of money, just to close the park? You obviously have been drinking the kool-aid being spun by people that can't see the big picture.

And my attitude of Paramount comes from knowing KI before Paramount took over.

I am TRULY interested in what you find so bad about the Paramount days. (And yes I am old enough to remember the pre-Paramount days.) Paramount gave us some great rides. I can only think of one thing that Paramount did that I didn't like...they didn't try to theme rides to the areas that they placed them in. IJST is still an eyesore in it's present location. (BUT, if I follow your logic of ride names not mattering...why should that bother anyone except us "enthusiasts"?)

I know that towards the end (When they were technically CBS) they weren't putting much into the park...but in their defense they were wanting to sell the chain...so I can understand their reasoning.

I know that you say that they have limited funds...and I know that...but they should have thought of that before they purchased the parks.

So once again, could you PLEASE list 5 things that you dislike Paramount for...and in turn I will list 5 things that I don't like CF for doing.

#1. The awful music played near the fountains...talk about ruining a park's atmosphere...I can listen to classic radio at home.

#2. The lack of use of the metal detectors...either operate them correctly or don't have them at all. We all know the true status of them...but they keep them up just to give a very false security to the general public...it's dishonest.

#3. The loss of Scooby Doo. As I have said in the past, I will not blame them for Nick...because I will trust The Interpreter that Nick probably was asking way too much money to renew the contract. (And I won't even talk about The Peanuts coming.)

#4. The seemingly less than happy CF employees. I never had a Paramount employee complain to me, a stranger, about working conditions...the same can not be said of CF employees. Unhappy employees waiting on customers affects the atmosphere.

#5. I do not know if CF is responsible for this or not...but I didn't like how the minimum height requirements on some of the rides were raised once they took over...WWC being the main one.

I could list a few more...but I will stop at 5.

The sad thing is that I can only list 2 real things that I like about the park since Cedar Fair took over...they play the National Anthem in the mornings...and of course, Diamondback.

Cory & The Interpreter...thanks for the replies. Like I mentioned, I wasn't sure who was responsible. I remember when they were raised someone posting that the new height requirements were more in line with similar rides at the other CF parks...but obviously no one could/would ever confirm the real reason.

When I was just at Disney World, my nephew got to ride their WWC (Kali River Rapids)...it is only a 42" minimum...unlike KI's 46"...go figure.

Great question standbyme. Please don't take this as an order from most important to least important.

1.) Poor ride choices. I was used to a park that gave us ride like: Beast, Bat/ Vortex, KC, WWC, Flight Commander and Phantom Theatre to a park that gave us enormous let downs like: Days of Thunder, IJ, Tomb Raider, SoB, & SDatHC. Also, the removal of rides, and lack of an adequate replacement for rides like: Antique Cars, Wild Animal Habitat, KCKC, Flying Eagles & PT.

2.) Cleanliness. KI used to look like BGW. When Paramount took over, it wasn't even close.

3.) Themeing. Both ride & park themeing. Paramount's Kings Island was advertised as a theme park. Paramount consistantly let ride themeing go unmaintained. They also destroyed the themed areas KI had like: International Street (which I laugh about when someone complains about the IS music. Paramount had Star Trek music for International Street.), Octoberfest & Rivertown.

4.) Commercialization, which I laugh at constantly when someone brings up how bad CF's ride names are. Congo, Face/ Off, Drop Zone, IJ, Days of Thunder? Those movies were average, at best, and Paramount not only named rides after them, but plastered the park in movie posters. IoA is owned by a movie company, and their self promotion is there, but not "gross" like Paramount was.

5.) General park attitude. From the moment you enter the parking lot, the Paramount "atmosphere" just was not fun like it was under the previous park owners. It was not one specific thing, but a combination of many things like: employees not caring about the park, the food, unattention to detail, lack of a true sit down restaurant, etc. The atmosphere at PKD was even worse.

6.) Boomerang Bay. Another item I laugh at when someone complains about CF's attitude toward cement. And this area was re-themed under Paramount?

7.) Eliminating Winterfest, and then half heartedly bringing it back. If it was too difficult & too expensive to do, so be it. But don't put on a front for a pending sale by bringing back something & do is half-assed. It was really insulting to the memory of what WF was.

8.) Entertainment. The park was owned by an entertainment company. The entertainment was terrible to non-existant under Paramount.

Now has CF solved these issues? Absolutely not. But the park is getting back on track, and I really can't see any other company that would have done a better job than CF has done. And some of the issues will never be resolved due to financial restrictions no matter if CF owns the park or not.

Now many people have personal feelings when it comes down to a dislike for CF; i.e. removal of Nick for Peanuts, or ride names etc. Funny thing, that is exactly the same decisions Paramount made in 1993.

The main thing I don't like about Paramount happens to be the removal (and poor maintenance) of attractions and shows for the whole family... I'm certain this is one of the main reason Kings Island doesn't have as high attendance as it did in the 90s. (Many family friends no longer go...)

Seriously, when is the last time you saw a whole family enjoying the day in Coney Mall? Rivertown? The way marketing has been going, most families feel the only place in the park suitable for young children is the kiddie area... and many of these families don't like what the kiddie area has to offer, and don't return.

If Cedar Fair were to add an assortment of family oriented attractions all over the park, I know these families would return... maybe more than once.

How times change. I remember when folks around here were ready to burn Paramount at the stake and now this has moved to Cedar Fair. Change is always a dificult thing for many to deal with, looks like some are handling it better than others.

A lot of the atmosphere has been sucked out of KI over the years. The removal of HBB land, the removal of the tiques and flyers for IJ:ST, the lack of dinning options and shows and weird placement of rides (TR:TR in Rivertown?). Has CF fixed these issues, nope. Have they made changes? Yes some good and some bad. Honestly I think the jurry is still out, have they really been running the show long enough to make a huge impact. Oh wait there was X Flight (errr Firehawk) and Diamondback. Two attractions that are great additions to the park, but there have been sacrafices that have been made. 2010 will be very interesting with the possible change in ownership, the re theme of HBBL (if you are expecting something more than a re paint and a monsters of rock dark ride I am sorry) and just general park opperations. I dont have an opinion one way or the other yet, but it has been an interesting few years of change.

I'm always baffled that, when people talk about Paramount's poor themeing, they immediately jump to The Italian Job and Tomb Raider. No, the Italian Job didn't really belong where it was placed. It could've fit elsewhere. But with a bit of imagination, it fits quite well in the Coney Mall section; I chose to think of it like a "cops 'n robbers chase" sort of ride, and I find that it fits quite well. Also, most of the complaining that I hear is how the antique cars were there. Well, as one of a (growing) number of park patrons who barely remember the antique cars, I find Backlot Stunt Coaster to be a fun ride in a nice location. That leads me to believe that most of the "it doesn't belong there" hatred of it comes from an emotional, I-miss-the-antique-cars perspective. Plus, before Diamondback's splashdown eliminated Swan Lake, Italian Job was mostly removed and cut-off from Rivertown, anyway, and guests near The Beast couldn't see it, nor could guests near Tomb Raider.

And as for Tomb Raider, where else would you have it placed? Oktoberfest? Coney Mall? It just so happens that we do not have the luxury of a well-themed, immersive Congo area the way that Kings Dominion does. When it came time for Paramount to place the $20,000,000 ride at one of its parks, I think we should feel lucky that they chose us and fit it in as best they could. In retrospect, of course, I certainly wouldn't mind having gotten Kings Dominion's, and they, ours.

Again, Cedar Fair has improved the park markedly in many areas. In others, they've lost touch with what the park stood for. The same can be said of Paramount's time in control. I can't imagine there being a day when Flight Deck is called Flight Deck. It was built as Top Gun, it's referred to as Top Gun, and kids even today are being told by their parents "Let's go ride Top Gun!" Imagine if the tables had turned, and Ohio now was home to a park called Paramount's Cedar Point. Even should they rename Millennium Force to Iron Man: The Ride, it would always be Millennium Force. That sort of change doesn't usually go by unnoticed.

What I constantly have to remind myself is, Cedar Fair didn't just buy the park, Paramount put it up for sale. The same can be said of Taft... Paramount didn't just buy Taft, Taft agreed to be purchased by Paramount. There were no hostile takeovers. Paramount sold the park to Cedar Fair, for better or worse.

And Cedar Fair has so helped this family atmosphere with the type of entertainment it offers during what is now Halloween Haunt...yep...it's helped the group business, too...which is drastically up...or is it?

Perhaps not a family atmosphere with HH, but they have with 4th of July events.

Let's not forget, HH was not advertised as a family event at night, but it was a family event during the day.

Oh, I haven't forgotten...but a lot of church groups that showed up for Halloween Haunt (!?) have vowed never to return in any month...

Guess they missed the website, park commercials, park marquee, marketing materials, as well as any stories about Halloween Haunt written in the local paper?

You can't save the whole world, but you can try.

Yep, that's what those groups are trying to do...save the whole world!

Terpy, who just HAD to (and some of those groups who didn't go DID see the warnings, and still vowed not to return to Kings Island in any month, so long as nobody and no thing is off limits during autumn nights...)

I'm always baffled that, when people talk about Paramount's poor themeing, they immediately jump to The Italian Job and Tomb Raider. No, the Italian Job didn't really belong where it was placed. It could've fit elsewhere. But with a bit of imagination, it fits quite well in the Coney Mall section; I chose to think of it like a "cops 'n robbers chase" sort of ride, and I find that it fits quite well. Also, most of the complaining that I hear is how the antique cars were there. Well, as one of a (growing) number of park patrons who barely remember the antique cars, I find Backlot Stunt Coaster to be a fun ride in a nice location. That leads me to believe that most of the "it doesn't belong there" hatred of it comes from an emotional, I-miss-the-antique-cars perspective. Plus, before Diamondback's splashdown eliminated Swan Lake, Italian Job was mostly removed and cut-off from Rivertown, anyway, and guests near The Beast couldn't see it, nor could guests near Tomb Raider.

And as for Tomb Raider, where else would you have it placed? Oktoberfest? Coney Mall? It just so happens that we do not have the luxury of a well-themed, immersive Congo area the way that Kings Dominion does. When it came time for Paramount to place the $20,000,000 ride at one of its parks, I think we should feel lucky that they chose us and fit it in as best they could. In retrospect, of course, I certainly wouldn't mind having gotten Kings Dominion's, and they, ours.

Again, Cedar Fair has improved the park markedly in many areas. In others, they've lost touch with what the park stood for. The same can be said of Paramount's time in control. I can't imagine there being a day when Flight Deck is called Flight Deck. It was built as Top Gun, it's referred to as Top Gun, and kids even today are being told by their parents "Let's go ride Top Gun!" Imagine if the tables had turned, and Ohio now was home to a park called Paramount's Cedar Point. Even should they rename Millennium Force to Iron Man: The Ride, it would always be Millennium Force. That sort of change doesn't usually go by unnoticed.

What I constantly have to remind myself is, Cedar Fair didn't just buy the park, Paramount put it up for sale. The same can be said of Taft... Paramount didn't just buy Taft, Taft agreed to be purchased by Paramount. There were no hostile takeovers. Paramount sold the park to Cedar Fair, for better or worse.

You are baffled by people bringing up two of the most heavily themed rides Paramount installed? What is so baffling? Should the lack of themeing for Face/ Off or Drop Zone be discussed? I am baffled that you mention themeing, but then bring up ride placement.

And what is the point to your comment that some of the younger KI park patrons are growing and can barely remember the 'tiques? It really makes me belive you are trying to make the point that things that happened 5+ years ago just don't count anymore. And no, if the 'tiques were removed for a ride like Maverick at CP, there would not be negative comments as WWL was removed for a far superior ride. I understand that you must have forgotten, not only were the 'tiques removed, but so were the very popular Flying Eagles. Perhaps the 'tiques could not have been relocated in the park, but the Eagles certainly could have been.

Yes, Swan Lake was removed for DB. But it was removed for a world class coaster. Unfortunate decision, but acceptable.

Top Gun was not built as Top Gun, but rather Thunder Road. Paramount changed the name after the purchase.

Yep, that's what those groups are trying to do...save the whole world!

Terpy, who just HAD to (and some of those groups who didn't go DID see the warnings, and still vowed not to return to Kings Island in any month, so long as nobody and no thing is off limits during autumn nights...)

Well, then that's their problem. You can't please all the people all the time. That's my opinion anyway